Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Hel posted:

Wasn't there just a few strips of how her underlings should stop playing around with the magic shape-shifting potions? But she gets to do it all she wants?

Of course. That is how this all works.

Do as I say, not as I do. She will have a lovely career in academia and/or politics.

Also, I can just FEEL Nil eyerolling at this situation with Bernice. Searching his drat brain for an easy way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, I can just FEEL Nil eyerolling at this situation with Bernice. Searching his drat brain for an easy way out.

Man's doing the math in his head to try to figure out if the makeouts are worth it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's young enough he's probably still willing to stick his dick in the crazy.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin under sail

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Julet Esqu posted:

I was so right about this being her kink. Full on sex contract happening right now in my funny papers. All that's missing is what kinds of punishments they get to do to each other if they break the rules, but I'm sure she'll get there.

His single eye shows nothing but the slow death of his soul

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slammy posted:

Up Front (May 23, 1944)

quote:

In late September 1943, the 45th Infantry Division’s 180th Regiment was in Naples, embroiled in the brutal, soul-deadening fighting typical of Italy at that time. In the midst of it, twenty-one-year-old cartoonist Bill Mauldin, assigned to the regiment’s K Company, did a drawing of the two infantrymen who were his main subjects, Willie and Joe, slouching against a ruined doorway and looking utterly bone-weary—so disheveled you could almost smell them. As a young, fresh-scrubbed corporal levels his gaze at them, Willie says, “He’s right, Joe. When we ain’t fightin’ we should ack like sojers.”

The day after the cartoon appeared in the U.S. Army newspaper Stars and Stripes, a flesh-and-blood colonel entered the newspaper’s office and presented Mauldin with what he thought was a brilliant idea. “He wanted, so help me,” Mauldin remembered, “to take the original drawing and have thousands of huge poster copies printed. He planned to plaster them on every wall and telephone pole in Italy, as an admonition to GIs to ‘ack like sojers.’”

Mauldin knew he was in a delicate position: he didn’t want to go out of his way to point out that the colonel didn’t get it, that the cartoon verged on the seditious, and that making a poster of it was the last thing the officer should do. So Mauldin did the only thing he could, and handed him the drawing. The poster, of course, never materialized.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kazinsal posted:

Man's doing the math in his head to try to figure out if the makeouts are worth it.

No tongue. That doesn't qualify as a makeout in my book.

Amazing, both in the story itself and the sense that the American military somehow won the war with that kind of leadership.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I was about to compliment Save Havens bc I found the jellyfish strips kind of sweet but then it immediately does a 180 back to making GBS threads the bed as usual.

Also judging by Nil's kissing limitations he's at least as much of a wet blanket as Bernice.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Amazing, both in the story itself and the sense that the American military somehow won the war with that kind of leadership.

You shoulda seen the other guy...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

I was so right about this being her kink. Full on sex contract happening right now in my funny papers. All that's missing is what kinds of punishments they get to do to each other if they break the rules, but I'm sure she'll get there.
God wait hold on.

loving...Bernice has to be in her early 20s at the very least and the idea of nothing but lip-kissing and only touching arms gets her this loving worked up?

What the hell? I just

I don't

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

God wait hold on.

loving...Bernice has to be in her early 20s at the very least and the idea of nothing but lip-kissing and only touching arms gets her this loving worked up?

What the hell? I just

I don't

American puritanism is wack.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The puritans were way hornier than this.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

BSS: Batman's Scrappy Sidekick › Comic Strips 2021: Prepare yourselves for tragedy!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nobody has sex in Luann. The characters coalesced from the projected neuroses of the comments section.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

goatface posted:

He's young enough he's probably still willing to stick his dick in the crazy.
If that's the case he's doing it wrong. He's starting negotiations with tame stuff. He should be starting with "We can gently caress like rabbits" and ratchet down from there.

But no, in the Evansverse all young people are Good and Chaste. Except for Tiffany of course.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

I'm kind of half-sure about this one, the drawing's making me doubt a little, but I think cabinets with locks usually have their hinges on the inside to prevent precisely this sort of thing.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Just Dan Again posted:

Classic Cathy hasn't been posted here in a little while, but I've been catching up with Jamie Loftus's "Aack Cast" and this week's episodes are all about women in the funny pages so it seems relevant to the thread: https://podcastaddict.com/podcast/3403597
Some of the verbal enactments of pivotal comics left me in stitches - even though I mostly had seen the comics in question. Not all - the ones where the punchline is delivered towards the reader/audience often fell flat, but when it works it really works.

Only listened to the first so far, but surprised that in the defense of Cathy she doesn't mention Guisewite's sometimes explicit social commentary about things like the fashion and diet industries. Loftus puts a lot of effort into making the point that Cathy isn't a vapid shallow caricature, but doesn't use the killer observation that from time to time Guisewite makes it very explicit that Cathy is the victim, not the problem, and is even aware of the issues and trying to escape the traps.

I was surprised to realize that the overall strip ended up having something of a plot - unlike most joke strips, things actually happen over time in Cathy, and sometimes arcs get picked up again years later. It was somewhat adventurous structurally as well as a unique take. Also, man oh man, hearing the full strip plot makes it painfully obviously Cathy should *not* have ended up marrying Irving. Irving was easily the worst of all Cathy's longer-term boyfriends. I do not understand why Guisewite eventually matched Cathy up with him rather than a number of more reasonable matches Cathy had dated over the years, or with a new character.

Edit: where did Loftus find a complete Cathy collection? It's basically all out of print, and some are selling at steep premiums.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
you have to loving see today's 9 chickweed lane

:nws:

https://i.imgur.com/jVjfRdv.png

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I really did not, under any circumstances, have to see that

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

https://imgur.com/a/VG4FBkj

Huxley fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 23, 2021

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

riderchop posted:

While Bernice is negotiating rules and regulations for holding hands, The 9CL Salute To Conversion Therapy is escalating.

Sally Forth is here to purify you after that.

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (December 6-7, 1933)

Peanuts (July 25-26, 1974)

FunkyWinkerCon continues the "Zombie Creative Talent" Panel.

Crankshaft, by An Old Geezer Who Also Conveniently Ignores The Underlying Issues Of The Protests.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 21-22, 1938)

Out Our Way (January 21-23, 1937; spoilered because this is one of those borderline cases.)

Toonerville Folks (November 15-17, 1917)

Meanwhile on the front page, Adventures in Transliterating Foreign Names. Oh well, just a couple of rabble rousers, anyway. A hundred years from now, who's gonna know the difference?

Dok's "Truman Show" Duck (September 12, 1913)

Little Lefty (January 31-February 2, 1935)

Blondie From Zero (December 1-3, 1930)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 24, 2021

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (June 17, 1953)

shitter was full!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

JethroMcB posted:

Next weekyear: The kid turns out to be a super savant and goes to college on a full-ride scholarship, where after one week she's on track to graduate a year early as a pre-med. Everybody is still utterly nonplussed about the whole thing. Meanwhile, an interlude with Buck confirms that he still likes country music and comic books.

Whoa, that's four years worth of storylines! Don't try to cram it all into just 52 weeks!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

riderchop posted:

How the gently caress is this published in newspapers

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft, by An Old Geezer Who Also Conveniently Ignores The Underlying Issues Of The Protests.

SPEEDING? Your argument is SPEEDING IS A PROBLEM?

Oh but then the next day you acknowledge that cops carry weapons and use them with little to no oversight or repercussion, but that's after 4 days of "I Gotta Have My Cops"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

riderchop posted:

Anybody got tips on how to better match strip lettering? I'm currently being lazy and just using text.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (June 10, 1995)

So Anja didn't turn in that shithead Rauno and his dad and instead gave them important jobs at her company? :psyduck: I didn't think I could hate Anja more, but here we are.

The way the Trails don't deny anything and instead outright tell their enemies what they've done is really baffling. I guess it's because the setting, stakes and the enemies are all grounded in reality which makes it weird when Mark and Cherry get caught but still manage to get away scot-free (see: the whole speedboat chase scene).

kidcoelacanth posted:

i suspect the evans mindmeld thinks bernice is funny because "tee hee she's stuck up" but they're so removed from human emotion that they don't realize she's the single most insufferable character on the comics page

I can see this. I also think that maybe they're trying to write a moral about setting healthy boundaries when it comes to sexual relations. But it's Team Evans and their mouthpiece is Bernice, so the whole thing comes across as sex negative instead.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ooof, I've had a week and half, let me tell you....I'm behind, so splitting up my backlog. Here's the first batch ofBallard Street.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Slammy posted:

Up Front (May 23, 1944)

A good touch here is that the noncom is pretty rumpled himself. A good mockery of the spit-and-polish top brass.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

amigolupus posted:

So Anja didn't turn in that shithead Rauno and his dad and instead gave them important jobs at her company? :psyduck: I didn't think I could hate Anja more, but here we are.

:capitalism:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Meanwhile on the front page, Adventures in Transliterating Foreign Names. Oh well, just a couple of rabble rousers, anyway. A hundred years from now, who's gonna know the difference?

Nether of those men look especially Trotskish or Lenniny to me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

riderchop posted:

"Ma'am, you're humping my elbow."

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
The MiniSec-rospective rolls on...

2007, featuring the anti-science material you've been waiting for! And Kranti flat-out murdering a guy, I guess.(June 25-29)

The whole "conflating science and marketing" thing bugs me to no end, but it'd be easier to take if she tied it back into the overarching theme of "capitalism makes everything worse". Which she doesn't. Not in so many words, anyway.

Learning from experiences and observations sounds like a great idea. There should be a method for doing that. Wonder what you'd call it...

2010 (July 26-30)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 24, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

No Rae the Doe on weekends!!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

How the gently caress is this published in newspapers

SPEEDING? Your argument is SPEEDING IS A PROBLEM?

Oh but then the next day you acknowledge that cops carry weapons and use them with little to no oversight or repercussion, but that's after 4 days of "I Gotta Have My Cops"

I mean, somebody should probalby be enforcing the traffic laws.

But maybe it doesn't need to be done by somebody who has a gun and will not be significantly punished if they kill you? :thonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: deception (September 2-8, 2002)

There are plenty of things I could say about this, instead I'll just point to the first strip and say that hares and rabbits, though similar, are not the same thing.

Modern Kevin & Kell