Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My other half got pictures of the cats post card signing.

Poor Bean looks so traumatized at having to step on a stamp pad and then a piece of paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Pretty much every one of my fosters does this.

I feel like if you are letting your cat roll around in your pants while you poop, the cat's not entirely to blame. Not that I am good at setting boundaries for my idiot cat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I feel like if you are letting your cat roll around in your pants while you poop, the cat's not entirely to blame. Not that I am good at setting boundaries for my idiot cat.

I've had many long talks with rear end in a top hat. Heart to heart talks about things like "you don't go there" and "I don't want claws to the face while I sleep"

Good luck setting boundaries with a cat

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

SoggyBobcat posted:

Any way to get a cat to swallow a pill without him hating me? :( Or I guess do I have to learn to do it as fast and as cleanly as I can.

My tips: open the cat's mouth at the front, not the jaw. This is what we do for our hyperthyroid boy. Also, you can get a couple mls of water in an oral syringe and carefully squirt it in their mouth. We do this for our old lady who only gets pills when she can't stop puking.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’ve never had a cat before that talks as much as the one I have now. And it makes me so worried and sad all the time because I’m used to only hearing cat sounds when they are hurt or stuck :(

But she seems to just meow at me for no reason other than to do it.

She also loves her window seat but I get so worried when the windows open she will either try and get out of the screen, or fall out accidentally. Do they make like heavy duty mesh that I could bolt on to the frame?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chatty cats are great. I'll have conversations with one of ours and she'll talk right back.

We're probably talking about completely different things, there's certainly a language barrier. But it's fun.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I’ve lived with chatty Siamese cats (they’re yowlers) that will have conversations with you and I currently have a little grumble-beast that sounds like an old man muttering to himself. It’s more like a trill-noise, like he’s purring and whining at the same time.

With the former they meow back as you converse with them, but with the latter it’s like… the cat is constantly talking to himself for my benefit?? It’s so goofy and weird. He does do full meows when he wants to yell at me for attention.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
has anyone else downloaded MeowTalk?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat has a very odd noise she sometimes makes when she hears a dog or other scary noises from outside. It's kind of a really low pitched "wobwobwobwobwob", usually said while hurrying away. I've never heard a cat make such a noise before...

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Can I take your order?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There's no real explanation for most cat vocalizations. Every cat seems to have their own weird little language.

pidan posted:

My cat has a very odd noise she sometimes makes when she hears a dog or other scary noises from outside. It's kind of a really low pitched "wobwobwobwobwob", usually said while hurrying away. I've never heard a cat make such a noise before...

I've absolutely heard that sound.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bean just yells at us, no idea why

It can be for looking at her, for not looking at her, for petting her, for not petting her, she just randomly yells at her cat bed now too.

rear end in a top hat sometimes let's out a real pathetic meow because he loses(?) us in the small apartment he's lived in for 5 years. He meows, we meow, thundering of paws and cat on lap

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
we knew Katya was pretty silent but we were not prepared for the new baby to be so vocal, lol. Katya will at most do a soft trill or a beep if it's VERY urgent, but Kimchi will talk to herself, to us, and YELL every time she wakes up somewhere and we're not around to IMMEDIATELY reward her with attention. luckily it's very cute.

pidan posted:

Oh! I know this one too, Katya doesn't give a gently caress about dogs but she has been known to raise the alarm when there's a neighbourhood cat in her territory and she's stuck inside. it's starts with the low warning wobwob and will escalate to drawn-out yowls, she'll stalk the perimeter obsessively too.

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 24, 2021

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
how do i walk cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm-rOAN8rYA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I started by letting mine walk around the house with the harness on for a while before attaching the leash.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

If I say to Terry "you want a treat?" he recognizes it and gets really excited. But he doesn't actually start walking to the kitchen till I start. If he's on my lap and I say it, he attends to me and starts stomping around, but I have to shove him off to actually go get the treat. I know not to anthropomorphize them too much but geez cat, what are you thinking?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think tone matters. When using one of the handful of words we've taught our cats we have to say it a very specific way before we get a reaction. It feels like they learn the pitch more than the actual phonetics.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I mean, I'm using a high-pitched, inviting tone that I always use for giving him food or treats. It seems like he's preparing to jet off to where I feed him but he doesn't trust me to actually do it until I get up.

Also, people say cats don't come when you call them, but mine usually comes to cuddle with a bit of pspsps. Defective model, obviously.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I can usually identify which other cat Jackie is around by the noises she makes, generally speaking. I know when Murfy's around her and trying to pick a fight because she warbles in a particularly rapid way, for instance.

With Mini-Scratcher, she's more likely to stick to a low-pitched growl, which sounds remarkably like Marge Simpson making her annoyed/worried "Mmmmmmm!" catchphrase repeatedly and at subtly different pitches. Never fails to make me laugh initially, but I usually have to break her concentration somehow to get her to stop eventually.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

So it turns out that Maple's lack of hairball production, which we hadn't really thought about other than being vaguely welcome, has a flipside - her recent intermittent bouts of diarrhoea seem to have been caused by irritation of the hair going that way instead. This last time, took a sample to the vet, who immediately looked at it and went "lot of hair in there". We ruled out giardia as well, which was a relief (her litter-mate brother has problems with that, though they haven't seen each other in over a year).

So we're now on a strict brushing regime and I'm trying to grow some cat grass for them. Is it worth giving her something like Royal Canin hairball dry food too? She's currently just on the nothing-specific sterilised adult cat kind right now.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1419295707077431299?s=20

built a luxury cat condo

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Double shelter update.

Jasper got a house that was promptly stolen from him by another cat.

Two new babies. Crystal and Christopher. ("Felony and Misdemeanor" were rejected.)

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
What kind of carpeting is "cat safe"? We're looking to add carpeting on our stairs since our cat recently slipped and chipped her tooth. I've heard that the "loop" carpeting type can get caught on and injure a cat's claws.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"Cat safe" carpet? Never heard of it. Technically the only pet safe carpet you'll find are washable rugs for when they pee on them.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

melon cat posted:

What kind of carpeting is "cat safe"? We're looking to add carpeting on our stairs since our cat recently slipped and chipped her tooth. I've heard that the "loop" carpeting type can get caught on and injure a cat's claws.

The logic here is pretty straightforward - if it's a loop, the cat's claw can get hooked. So anything without loops should be fine - either a flat-woven carpet or a normal cut-loop one.

Comedy option: sisal

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

SoggyBobcat posted:

How long does it normally take for a cat to return to normal behavior after a 24 hour stay at the vet?

SoggyBobcat posted:

Any way to get a cat to swallow a pill without him hating me? :( Or I guess do I have to learn to do it as fast and as cleanly as I can.

He's not eating. Every time I go go him his pills or to feed him via syringe he gets more and more difficult and stressed. He can't seem to walk more than a few feet without lying down again. I don't remember seeing him cleaning or grooming himself. He hasn't pooped at all.

We're nearing a week since coming home. I don't know what to do. I don't think I can handle putting down another cat.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SoggyBobcat posted:

He's not eating. Every time I go go him his pills or to feed him via syringe he gets more and more difficult and stressed. He can't seem to walk more than a few feet without lying down again. I don't remember seeing him cleaning or grooming himself. He hasn't pooped at all.

We're nearing a week since coming home. I don't know what to do. I don't think I can handle putting down another cat.

Take him back to the vet. Do what you can for him.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

We already spent $2000 on his first stay.

When I phoned the vet this morning, they said there's a tablet we can give him that will stimulate his appetite. It's yet another thing we have to shove down his throat, but if it doesn't work...

SoggyBobcat fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 25, 2021

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thumposaurus posted:

Can I take your order?

i think you've got some competition in this neighborhood...

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Greetings, fellow feline taco vendors.

But Bishop crashed it too many times, so Rexie sold off her shares and recently acquired a yacht.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

drat, that was one successful truck.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Well she also had her successful career as an instagram model to supplement it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

And those coloring book royalties... :argh: Eat the rich!!!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
My cat has been gone for 8 days and nobody have seen her.

RIP

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I am getting slightly worried about my little tuxedo cat, she is TERRIFIED of all humans apart from me and is a chatty little snuggle girl who used to spend literally most of each day sleeping atop me overnight or in my lap. She was also a pretty good 'big sister' to my kitten when he was tiny.

Now he is bigger than her however? She HATES him, he does not even have to do anything, just walking happily up to her will prompt hissing, growling and her running away. She left the house for something like four days then had to be coaxed inside where I found her very skinny and ravenously hungry. She returned again this morning and again ate a gigantic amount before enjoying a cuddle with me but I get the impression she no longer feels that my house is safely 'her territory'.

The kitten does have a certain degree of obnoxious kitten energy still but he is also coming on nine months old and almost twice her size. Any advice for trying to broker more of a truce between them? For whatever reason he never ended up 'deferential' or learning boundaries when he was tiny and she acted as basically his mum.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I would probably keep her inside. Something outside may have happened to scare her.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I've been in a similar place and I know how hard it is.

I recommend you ask your vet if they carry high-calorie supplement gel. I've had a lot of luck with it with cats who wouldn't eat. After a few days they started getting their appetite back and fully recovered. If the vet says they don't have any, it looks like there are a few options on Amazon. It's not stressful to give the way pills are. You just smear it on their gums/lip and they'll lick it up. I basically gave them a pea-sized blob every hour or so during the day, and it took around 3-4 days before they started showing an interest in regular food.

You'll need to keep giving him water. I aimed for 30-50mls per day, 5mls at a time. If you can get him to eat wet food or wet treats, you can give less water.

If you can spare the money, it's worth going to a petstore and buying a bunch of different cat treats to try. Anything you can find that he will eat will help you get calories into him. The best treats (if he'll eat them) are the little tubes of slurry - google 'cat lickable treats' to see what I mean. They're full of water, so if you can get him to accept them you don't need to bother with syringing water, plus he'll get calories from them as well.

The appetite tablets are also a good option to have access to. If you do find a treat he's enthusiastic about, you can give it immediately after the pill to hopefully start reducing his anxiety around pilling.

If you do decide he has to go back to the vet, it might not hurt to go to a different one if that's an option. Sometimes a new pair of eyes can see something that was overlooked.

If money is an issue, please check out the CSPAM Goonbucks thread. It's okay to ask for help if you need it.

I hope he pulls through okay.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Big Mackson posted:

My cat has been gone for 8 days and nobody have seen her.

RIP

We just helped an adopter catch their cat that got out and wasn't seen for over a month. Don't give up hope.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

pidan posted:

The logic here is pretty straightforward - if it's a loop, the cat's claw can get hooked. So anything without loops should be fine - either a flat-woven carpet or a normal cut-loop one.

Comedy option: sisal

Just got off the phone with one company and upon mentioning my pets they DO offer a line of sisal carpet runners. :lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

SoggyBobcat posted:

We already spent $2000 on his first stay.

When I phoned the vet this morning, they said there's a tablet we can give him that will stimulate his appetite. It's yet another thing we have to shove down his throat, but if it doesn't work...

I've gotten an appetite stimulant as a topical that gets applied to the ears. Ask if that's an option, since it would avoid the pill issue.