Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

no your projecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

BATTLETECH had he/she/they pronoun options. The moment I saw that I had to go and see nexusmods if some chud had modded the "they/them" out. Of course it had.

Mods are cool, but like all of gaming, it's full of sick people who are usually perverts and/or chuds.

But it's pretty easy to navigate around them.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

modding is mostly for making npcs into anime big titty furry sex minigames

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

QuarkJets posted:

I agree that the only good thing about Sonic was that it wasn't longer

:negative:

They should make a sonic game that's an open world metroidvania with crafting and RPG elements. It might be a total disaster, but it would be new and different, in a way everyone else has already done before

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doctor J Off posted:

:negative:

They should make a sonic game that's an open world metroidvania with crafting and RPG elements. It might be a total disaster, but it would be new and different, in a way everyone else has already done before

Wasn't there a Tails game like this on the Game Gear?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't there a Tails game like this on the Game Gear?

Yes, I had never heard of it until it was on the GameCube release of SA2. Which surprised me because I was one of the saps with a game gear growing up and was desperate for a game like that back then.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Superhot VR has been patched so the final bit where you point the controller at your own head and pull the trigger has been removed. That's some bullshit and they should have made it an option for people to skip if they struggle with suicide and self harm. It was a loving brilliant plot twist.

Also, here's an idiot opinion brought to you by The New York Times:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Lodin posted:

Superhot VR has been patched so the final bit where you point the controller at your own head and pull the trigger has been removed. That's some bullshit and they should have made it an option for people to skip if they struggle with suicide and self harm. It was a loving brilliant plot twist.

No you see its better to have a world where we insist on not offending anyone and instead let the entire population collapse into mental illness from being constantly advertised and sold too.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What does the non-VR game do, and what's the premise of the action game that such an action makes sense anyways?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Collapsing Farts posted:

Skyrim was wayyyy more fun than New Vegas

New Vegas is more fun to play for the story, so it's only fun for 2-3 play through. Skyrim is a big open world full of unlimited bullshit to do for hundreds of hours, but the story is best avoided.

Really they are different genera of game

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rutibex posted:

New Vegas is more fun to play for the story, so it's only fun for 2-3 play through. Skyrim is a big open world full of unlimited bullshit to do for hundreds of hours, but the story is best avoided.

This is my attitude whenever FO3 and NV are compared.

NV has infinitely better writing but I'd rather just wander around the Capital Wasteland.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

"only fun for 2 or 3 playthroughs"

uh yo that's a lot of video game mileage, i feel like that's a good amount of playthroughs and like 150 hours or something

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
im trying to think of games I've played through 3 or more times and all I can really thnk of is a bunch of beat em ups like streets of rage and golden axe.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The only mods that fallout 3 and nv need are the ones that add hundreds of public domain songs and radio ads recorded in the 30s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mods don't have to be huge content packs or whatever, like I added a couple to mass effect so femshep has a leather jacket as a casual outfit and got rid of the shaky cam when sprinting. Just minor stuff

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if you play f:nv without the jsawyer mod to experience ropekid's vision then lmao

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

:rolleyes: NV was not the product of one individual.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Serephina posted:

What does the non-VR game do, and what's the premise of the action game that such an action makes sense anyways?

IIRC it's basically this:

VR campaign is completely different, I think.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

In the VR campaign you shoot "yourself" to avoid shooting "yourself"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Serephina posted:

Make you shoot yourself in the head, unless that was patched too. The plot of superhot is weird but it's part of how the entity telling you what to do gets you to digitize your mind. Superhot does the game within a game thing and at one point when you're supposed to be in the inner game you walk in to what was earlier shown to be the real 'you' in the outer game and you've got to shoot 'you' to progress. Irrespective of anything else, the story of superhot is overbearing and trite and really gets in the way of a novel concept, though I don't think that's an unpopular opinion.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

:rolleyes: NV was not the product of one individual.

oh, word? is that what all those names in the credits were about? :aaaaa:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

You're trapped in the game and eventually you realize there's only one way out. Like I said, people should have the option to not have to do something like that but it's pretty loving literally mindblowing.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There used to be a toggle right at the beginning of the game that lets you turn off disturbing scenes and you couldn't proceed unless you picked one or the other, so I don't know who they're catering to by removing the choice entirely

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Make you shoot yourself in the head, unless that was patched too. The plot of superhot is weird but it's part of how the entity telling you what to do gets you to digitize your mind. Superhot does the game within a game thing and at one point when you're supposed to be in the inner game you walk in to what was earlier shown to be the real 'you' in the outer game and you've got to shoot 'you' to progress. Irrespective of anything else, the story of superhot is overbearing and trite and really gets in the way of a novel concept, though I don't think that's an unpopular opinion.

I really hated that aspect of Superhot. If it had just been a game where you play short, puzzlish action scenes, Superhot would be fine. But they try to get meta and the problem with any kind of heavily scripted story where developers are trying to manipulate their players is that players don't interact with the game the same way. What happens if I just say "gently caress you!" to the orders and ignore them? Nothing? Well then, I've just wrecked your story's themes because I'm not choosing to do this stuff, you're literally forcing me. "Ha ha ha look at what you did!" doesn't work as a revelation when I have no agency.

The exact same thing happened to me in Bioshock when I decided in the bathesphere to do the exact opposite of what Atlas told me to do. So many, "would you kindly"'s followed by me refusing to do it. Needless to say, it undermined the story a lot.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't ever hear that phrase about Skyrim. More like Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

When I played them on PS3, everyone I talked to lol'ed at me. For being such a Holy Grail, New Vegas' fans didn't have much faith in playing it without mods.

But ya know, I kind of agree with your main point. Although I'm not sure how much of VTM Bloodlines is just plain unplayable and how much is unplayable due to technological advancement. Like, you need stuff to even run it on modern PCs, but I assume that wasn't the case in 2005 or whatever.

lol, it's impossible to finish Fallout 3 and New Vegas on my PS3 without both games locking up because the save file got too big and the system only has 256 MB of RAM and a 256 MB video card.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Random Stranger posted:

I really hated that aspect of Superhot. If it had just been a game where you play short, puzzlish action scenes, Superhot would be fine. But they try to get meta and the problem with any kind of heavily scripted story where developers are trying to manipulate their players is that players don't interact with the game the same way. What happens if I just say "gently caress you!" to the orders and ignore them? Nothing? Well then, I've just wrecked your story's themes because I'm not choosing to do this stuff, you're literally forcing me. "Ha ha ha look at what you did!" doesn't work as a revelation when I have no agency.

The exact same thing happened to me in Bioshock when I decided in the bathesphere to do the exact opposite of what Atlas told me to do. So many, "would you kindly"'s followed by me refusing to do it. Needless to say, it undermined the story a lot.

Thats why I dont get the praise for Spec Ops The Line. Like, no I didnt choose who dump white phosphorous on these babies, you made me press x to advance. I didnt want to shoot the American soldiers, I tried to say hi and they shot me.

Now Alpha Protocol, thats a game with some serious moral choices. Do i team up with the big titty russian supersoldier?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Thats why I dont get the praise for Spec Ops The Line. Like, no I didnt choose who dump white phosphorous on these babies, you made me press x to advance. I didnt want to shoot the American soldiers, I tried to say hi and they shot me.

Now Alpha Protocol, thats a game with some serious moral choices. Do i team up with the big titty russian supersoldier?

I've heard the deal with Spec Ops is that you're not really meant to identify with the player character after a point.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

There used to be a toggle right at the beginning of the game that lets you turn off disturbing scenes and you couldn't proceed unless you picked one or the other, so I don't know who they're catering to by removing the choice entirely
Agreed. Having a toggle and warning was already sufficient to make sure that people who would find that scene upsetting wouldn't see/play it. What is the point of taking it out completely?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Spec ops is criticizing you for wanting to play the game you thought it was.

Or so I've heard. Curious though I am, my willingness to play 2012 third person shooters is limited.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The best morality based game I've played recently was some arty VR game where you play a Headsman in a medieval city and have to listen to the condemned prisoner's sob stories before you behead them in the public square.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlvwi3mvPBQ

"What's that young lady? You were raped by a Nobel and when you complained the Church sentenced you to death for adultery? Don't worry I'll try to cut your head off in one strike."

*fucks up and it takes like 3 chops to get the job done*

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rutibex posted:

Skyrim is a big open world that lets you spend hundreds of hours tooling around with the gameplay but what about that gameplay is good enough to be worth it? the combat is all "mash/hold one button until healthbar reaches zero" (for both melee and spells, although at least bows have some amount of aiming) and the dungeons are all boring corridors with maybe one match-3 puzzle halfway through

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Most of Spec Ops is meant to be taken at face value, but the "lead writer" who was brought on to help finish the game crowbarred in some really dumb attempts to be clever and meta and rub your face in it. Though even removed from that context, the WP scene is awkward and ham-handed.

A lot of the hubbub surrounding the game was basically invented from whole cloth by game journalists who were sick of reviewing Call of Duty games so when Specs Ops wasn't a big sloppy blowjob to the military they hyped it up into this deeply important galaxy-brained commentary on military shooters.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 24, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Morrowind racism is extremely complicated okay

the dark elves were right to enslave the khajiit

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

The best morality based game I've played recently was some arty VR game where you play a Headsman in a medieval city and have to listen to the condemned prisoner's sob stories before you behead them in the public square.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlvwi3mvPBQ

"What's that young lady? You were raped by a Nobel and when you complained the Church sentenced you to death for adultery? Don't worry I'll try to cut your head off in one strike."

*fucks up and it takes like 3 chops to get the job done*

:chloe:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

The Wiley Pete scene in Spec Ops was poor for player agency, but the later titular scene when one of your squad gets strung up by the angry Dubai citizens and you're forced to make a decision, under fire, in a limited time frame where your choices aren't immediately obvious is much better.

And also the choice at the end of the game was pretty good also. Welcome to Dubai, indeed.

Alpha Protocol was pretty loving great too, especially the bit as a veteran when you're given a choice of who to save and you can say, gently caress that, I'm saving them both. Or the rookie path where a bunch of responses are essentially "but it's my first day!".

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Spec ops the line does the cool thing where your character loses clothes and stuff over the course of the game, except even the callouts and voiceovers change a bit. Kind of cool detail.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

satanic splash-back posted:

Spec ops the line does the cool thing where your character loses clothes and stuff over the course of the game, except even the callouts and voiceovers change a bit. Kind of cool detail.

The recorded all the VO sequentially in one day and it shows, by the end everyone is completely ragged and exhausted. It works really well.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

flavor.flv posted:

The only mods that fallout 3 and nv need are the ones that add hundreds of public domain songs and radio ads recorded in the 30s

Doubly so for New Vegas, where a lot of the quests are named after songs from the 30s-50s era, but many of those songs aren't on the default soundtrack.

Having all of those songs in the radio rotation is a neat way to tie the experience together, where you hear "Volare!" on the radio and you remember the time you had to recover a plane from the bottom of a lake.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

satanic splash-back posted:

Its one of the things I liked most about the game and showed the descent into madness the characters are experiencing. From highly professional and clean spec ops soldiers to bloodthirsty barbarians that are covered in sand and blood snarling for more carnage. Even the enemies get more and more scared of you as time goes on and you're turned into a one man army.

It was also the first video game that really made me question what I was doing and changed how I've looked at games since. I never finished Skyrim because they told me to kill a cool dragon I liked. Before Spec Ops I would have just done it to see the story but after Spec Ops I said "gently caress this" and turned off the game.

Edit:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The recorded all the VO sequentially in one day and it shows, by the end everyone is completely ragged and exhausted. It works really well.

That's really cool and makes me love the game more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Skyrim is a big open world that lets you spend hundreds of hours tooling around with the gameplay but what about that gameplay is good enough to be worth it? the combat is all "mash/hold one button until healthbar reaches zero" (for both melee and spells, although at least bows have some amount of aiming) and the dungeons are all boring corridors with maybe one match-3 puzzle halfway through

I mean, the gameplay in New Vegas sucks rear end as well. The world is dull as dishwater too