Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i dont think anyone replied to my question but for posterity, i decided to just start giving my dog the trilostane (for cushing's disease) after reading a lot about it. hasn't caused any ill effects so far and seems to have helped her a lot. the tests for cushing's are expensive (it's like $500 each, twice) but worth it for quality of life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gone Fashing posted:

i dont think anyone replied to my question but for posterity, i decided to just start giving my dog the trilostane (for cushing's disease) after reading a lot about it. hasn't caused any ill effects so far and seems to have helped her a lot. the tests for cushing's are expensive (it's like $500 each, twice) but worth it for quality of life

For what it's worth, I've never used it but I've heard good things. I've also never had cushings in my pack of idiots. I hope it helps yall out.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Usually at night the wife and I walk the dog, but sometimes it's just one of us. Now, if we try, he will refuse to go unless it's both of us. Any other time of day and he will go for individual walks with us, but the night walk he won't. What do?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

For what it's worth, I've never used it but I've heard good things. I've also never had cushings in my pack of idiots. I hope it helps yall out.

thank you! :cheerdoge:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Goodpancakes posted:

Usually at night the wife and I walk the dog, but sometimes it's just one of us. Now, if we try, he will refuse to go unless it's both of us. Any other time of day and he will go for individual walks with us, but the night walk he won't. What do?

My mom had a dog like that. If I walked her, we had to leave by the less-used gate in the backyard. If we left by the main gate or the front door, she dug in her heels and pulled against me with all the strength her 11 pound shih-tzu body could muster. My mom left by the main gate so the dog thought it was wrong if I took her that way.

Try and change the routine when it's just one of you at night -- leave by a different door, don't put the leash on until the sidewalk, something to differentiate it from his notion of "standard walk at night = leaving by this door with both of my humans"

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
6-ish month puppy update: still a big lunk.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dock diving is a lot of fun and you should try it if your dog likes toys and water.

Safe to say Scout had a good time at her first lesson.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Someone got so wiped out at her puppy play date last night that even the prospect of breakfast can’t interrupt her nap.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Is there a consensus on roughly how many calories per day a puppy should be getting?
I used https://vet.osu.edu/vmc/companion/our-services/nutrition-support-service/basic-calorie-calculator and came up with ~1000 per day for our 6 month old, 35 lb puppy.

Our vet, however, said 750 per day. I'm pretty sure she used the "neutered adult" factor rather than the puppy factor. Everything else I can find suggest ~1000 (including the side of the bag).

I ask because his feeding has become very irregular lately and he really slowed down putting on weight. Probably normal around 6 months but it seemed a bit abrupt.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Our 6 month old female golden retriever has debilitating Pica. Has anyone found a good solution?

Her recall and her leave it are great, but literally nothing on the planet is as high value as a stick, or a handful of gravel, or bits of broken glass on the sidewalk. We can't currently take her outside because it usually ends up with induced vomit, endoscopy, or surgery. We've had to do the doggy Heimlich a dozen times since we took her home. She'll squat down to pee and when she stands up there's an 8" twig sticking out of her mouth and lodged in her esophagus.

These things happen from supervised, on-leash walks - you'd be amazed how many tiny objects there actually are outside.

Muzzle training is next on our list, so that she can go on walks without endangering her life, but we'd like to actually break the habit at some point too, because it is a huge QoL issue in the household itself (we can never have houseguests, or children, and we have to do things like velcro the TV remote to the wall when we're done using it)

She gets tons of exercise and mental stimulation from our daily training and play sessions. Her food is good quality with plenty of iron. She just seems to really, really want to eat objects, all the time.

The vet has never seen anything like it (she swiped and ate his car key fob during the appointment)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Our 6 month old female golden retriever has debilitating Pica. Has anyone found a good solution?

This might be a good alternative to a muzzle, it seems to be easier for most dogs to tolerate. My dog has one and it looks really dumb but he doesn't mind wearing it at all even without training him to wear it.

Otherwise, I would find a veterinary behaviorist. Clearly, there's something going on and it could be medical or behavioral but a professional will be able to work you through your options.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The vet has never seen anything like it (she swiped and ate his car key fob during the appointment)

This is sitcom material.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I've got a dilemma: I was feeding my dog Iams High Protein dog food. They discontinued this, so I tried out Wellness Core. First poops on our walk are solid but second ones are usually soft and loose or sometimes even runny. He's also been not eating his meals occasionally.

So I just go a small bag of Instinct Original to try out. Mixed it in with the Core and my poor guy has puked a couple of times today from it.

Any suggestion for something like Iams High Protein? Or any other quality dog food?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Purina pro plan sport 30/20 or 27/17 seem like they have similar ingredients and protein/fat ratios.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Hi thread, long-time/first-time.

Two weeks ago, my boyhood dream came true and we picked up our golden retriever puppy. The first couple of days were awesome, but then the dog and dog ownership triggered all my latent stress responses (I've suffered from bad stress twice - at work and when my second child was colicky (badly) for six months straight).

For the past week or so, I have had a sinking feeling that dog ownership may not be for me. I'm stressed out by the thought of all the shaping and training ahead, I *hate* that he follows me around everywhere I go, and since I'm going back to work in an week I'm getting brain worms from the home-alone training not progressing as I'd hoped. My wife and kids love him, but all I see is a burden and a ton of work for the next 10 years - I don't really feel anything for him at all, even when he gives me the puppy eyes. I put in lots of training and play time with him, but I am relieved when I leave the house to go shopping and dread returning to the crushing responsibility.

Everyone who's been by say that he's the sweetest and easiest puppy they have ever met, and on top of that we were incredibly lucky to get him, which just makes me feel that much worse.

I've read a tall stack of books on the rigours of getting and owning a puppy, talked to lots of dog owners and would generally say that I've done my homework. I just never expected to feel... well, nothing but stress and annoyance.

Does it get better?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mzuri posted:

Two weeks ago, my boyhood dream came true and we picked up our golden retriever puppy. The first couple of days were awesome, but then the dog and dog ownership triggered all my latent stress responses (I've suffered from bad stress twice - at work and when my second child was colicky (badly) for six months straight).

For the past week or so, I have had a sinking feeling that dog ownership may not be for me. I'm stressed out by the thought of all the shaping and training ahead, I *hate* that he follows me around everywhere I go, and since I'm going back to work in an week I'm getting brain worms from the home-alone training not progressing as I'd hoped. My wife and kids love him, but all I see is a burden and a ton of work for the next 10 years - I don't really feel anything for him at all, even when he gives me the puppy eyes. I put in lots of training and play time with him, but I am relieved when I leave the house to go shopping and dread returning to the crushing responsibility.

Everyone who's been by say that he's the sweetest and easiest puppy they have ever met, and on top of that we were incredibly lucky to get him, which just makes me feel that much worse.

I've read a tall stack of books on the rigours of getting and owning a puppy, talked to lots of dog owners and would generally say that I've done my homework. I just never expected to feel... well, nothing but stress and annoyance.

Does it get better?

perfectly normal, will be over in a week or two.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

Stringent posted:

perfectly normal, will be over in a week or two.

:cheersdoge:

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
It's called the puppy blues. Don't worry. You won't notice it until you're sitting back and reflecting, but they grow and become more independent really quickly. Take lots of pics and videos and try to remember this phase of puppyhood is very temporary.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I was 100% convinced that adopting Apollo was a mistake and I should return him for the first week. Literally cried over it on day 2.

But it faded and I began to really get into it and years later I am so relieved I kept him. He’s been amazing and I love this dog even on the days where he annoys me.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.
Thanks for the encouragement!

We went to socialize a bit with some other dogs today and I felt pretty proud of the way the little guy handled himself. He's totally conked out under the kitchen table right now... As for pics, don't worry - my 10 year-old daughter has compiled a 1.2gb library already.

So for some practical tips: The crate training is not clicking, but we're OK with that as he seems pretty chill and easy in general. However, he will not sleep in one place. We put him in his bed at night (I still sleep on a mattress in the same room and will move out soon) but he tends to migrate around the living room during the night. During the day he prefers to sleep under tables and under the bed in my office. Have we just placed his bed the wrong place?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jarvis sleeps all over the place if we don't crate him. Usually for his morning nap, we do, and he does fine. But afternoon we usually just let him crash out wherever. If he was a girl, we probably would have gone with Ariel because he's ALWAYS wanting to be near us.

When he's crashing wherever, it varies from the carpet to the vinyl floor to the tile floor to one of his beds. It all depends on his mood and whether he's feeling hot.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah we've had Abby for just shy of a month now and my Mom is going through the puppy blues big time. I think I got it out of my system a lot sooner; I was in that spot about a week after we got her but I'm fairly resigned to it now.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Mzuri posted:

Thanks for the encouragement!

We went to socialize a bit with some other dogs today and I felt pretty proud of the way the little guy handled himself. He's totally conked out under the kitchen table right now... As for pics, don't worry - my 10 year-old daughter has compiled a 1.2gb library already.

So for some practical tips: The crate training is not clicking, but we're OK with that as he seems pretty chill and easy in general. However, he will not sleep in one place. We put him in his bed at night (I still sleep on a mattress in the same room and will move out soon) but he tends to migrate around the living room during the night. During the day he prefers to sleep under tables and under the bed in my office. Have we just placed his bed the wrong place?

Our dog is definitely a roamer when it comes to sleeping - she'll settle eventually in her bed for long periods of time, but likes to wander around the bedroom and lay down on random plots of floor.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Does everyone else's dog flop down when it comes to laying down, or do they settle gradually?

Jarvis goes from standing to laying down in an instant. Banging his elbows and heels and whatever else on the floor. It seems uncomfortable, but he doesn't seem to give a poo poo. It's funny because when he does it on the hard floor we can hear it across the house.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Does everyone else's dog flop down when it comes to laying down, or do they settle gradually?

Jarvis goes from standing to laying down in an instant. Banging his elbows and heels and whatever else on the floor. It seems uncomfortable, but he doesn't seem to give a poo poo. It's funny because when he does it on the hard floor we can hear it across the house.

Our hound mutt has done this her whole life, she's almost 7. She just pulls up her legs and drops, but she now only does it on soft surfaces. He'll figure it out.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

St_Ides posted:

Our hound mutt has done this her whole life, she's almost 7. She just pulls up her legs and drops, but she now only does it on soft surfaces. He'll figure it out.

Ha, great. It doesn't bother us, just cracks me up. At least we know when he's going to sleep.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mzuri posted:

Does it get better?

I got my first ever dog on March 6th of this year and I experienced what you're experiencing so hard. My exact feelings

Googling "puppy blues" gave me a ton of helpful articles and reddit threads where I realized I was not alone

For reference I now love my golden retriever more than anything in the universe and can't wait to come home to her every day

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
In case there's any SKEPTICS that I don't actually have the cutest dog in the world

(the day we brought her home at 9 weeks old)

Our cat Sherman claimed her immediately as his friend

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That is a very good dog indeed :allears:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mzuri posted:

Does it get better?

In 15 years, you will hate yourself for feeling this way and internally scream for it to come back.

Puppies are not as hard as they seem to be. You'll be okay until that last day a long, long time from now, friend. Enjoy the party ahead. It's all worth it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hot take, but if you got the puppy blues and are reading Dr. Ian Dunbar's book "After You Get Your Puppy," stop. I know he means well but his perfectionism is terrible for the human psyche and some of his advice is absolutely incompatible with living in a pandemic.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.
Thanks for all your words of encouragement, I feel a lot better already today :)

Current status of Djali:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jarvis is looking handsome today. Got his cleanup at the groomer on Wednesday and mom cleaned up some of the eye boogers on Friday (allergy season is a bitch).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AlexDeGruven posted:

Jarvis is looking handsome today. Got his cleanup at the groomer on Wednesday and mom cleaned up some of the eye boogers on Friday (allergy season is a bitch).

handsome indeed!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mzuri posted:

Thanks for all your words of encouragement, I feel a lot better already today :)

Current status of Djali:

:kimchi:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Mzuri posted:

Current status of Djali:

Such a cutie.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's a suave little dude 😎

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Tayter Swift posted:

Hot take, but if you got the puppy blues and are reading Dr. Ian Dunbar's book "After You Get Your Puppy," stop. I know he means well but his perfectionism is terrible for the human psyche and some of his advice is absolutely incompatible with living in a pandemic.

I had never read his Before/After You Get Your Puppy books, so I paged through them after seeing this. "You simply must expose your dog to 100 people per day. It's easy. No problem :)"
How funny! Between that and the advice suggesting that puppies are being given away in every town, I'm surprised by how dated some of his work is - but I'm also happy to see how successful the spay/neuter movement has been in the last 20 years!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, flopping is definitely a thing over here too. The first several days out of the shelter he was a settler, but then he figured out he could just kinda turn off his legs on the tile; now it's a hundred pounds of Akita (mix?) slamming toward the ground. We know he can control it, because he does when he's stretching or responding to a "down" or putting himself in a stay on the same tile, but if it's time to lay down on his own he just goes for thwomp.

Soft surfaces are still a gentle settle. Go figure. Our old GSD was the opposite, which makes much more sense to my human brain.

In other news, this week we discovered our huge muscular boy is terrified of thunderstorms, so add that to the training agenda. :smithcloud:

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

My neighbors have a habit of letting their dog out to their backyard unattended. About thirty minutes later, the dog sits in front of their patio door and does a combination of whining and barking to be let back in.

It's 100 degrees out today and the dog has been barking for the past 45 minutes or so. The situation is no longer about neglect — it's now about cruelty.

What can be done about situations like this? I feel terrible for the dog, but I don't have the type of relationship with the owners where I can go tell them to take better care of her. I don't want to report them either. Should I go and knock on the door and just say "hey your dog has been barking outside for a while, just wanted to make sure you guys are okay" or something?