Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Petey posted:

Does anyone here play the ProV1 left dash? I was reading some MyGolfSpy ball reviews over the weekend while tired after a triathlon and they seem to really salivate over it.

I bought a dozen of the x.. Not much difference than ProV1x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RCarr posted:

Unless you’re playing in a tournament or playing for money or something, then do literally anything you want.

Eh. When I stopped recording for handicap, I kept up my standards. I won't always putt out if it's on the lip, or won't object if people kick back a close putt, but I don't improve lies, I don't take mulligans and try to follow the rules.

I think this is close enough to knowing outside agency moved the ball, but wanted a reality check.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I mean more power to you for doing all that, but you don’t need the approval of the internet to feel ok about not penalizing yourself when you’re fairly sure another group hit your ball.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

BCRock posted:

I played my first round today with the Pro V1x Left Dash balls. Besides being a ridiculously dumb name for a golf ball, I was pretty impressed with them.

The bullet points on the Left Dash are that it's supposed to launch slightly lower and spin a bit less off the driver than the regular 1Vx, but maintain the soft feel and spin around the greens and that was spot on with my experience today. I hit a high ball to begin with, so taking it down slightly, while turning my 20y cut into a 5-10y cut is what I was hoping for and that's exactly what I was seeing off the tee today. They feel really nice off the driver face and I didn't feel like I lost any control with the wedges.

I was kinda hoping to not like them because of the hassle of buying more since they aren't even stocked in stores and I prefer buying the high quality used balls instead of paying full price, but oh well. I got 2 boxes so we'll see how long these last.

Quoting this earlier post for Petey.

Follow up is that I’ve since bought like 6 dozen more boxes of the left dashes. They’re perfect for me. Less side spin off the driver than the ProV1 and more feel off the wedges and putter than the ProV1X.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Do I know that the best possible thing for my game is to take a couple lessons?
Yes.

Will I buy a new putter grip to see if that's what has been holding me back instead?
Yes

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

BCRock posted:

Quoting this earlier post for Petey.

Follow up is that I’ve since bought like 6 dozen more boxes of the left dashes. They’re perfect for me. Less side spin off the driver than the ProV1 and more feel off the wedges and putter than the ProV1X.

Thanks. I played another ProV1 for the first time a few weeks ago and hated it. But I’m also looking for what you were looking for so maybe I will try. Right now I’m going for the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS which I think is their comp.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
For me it's Kirkland Signature golf balls or :frogout: , but I'll play whatever ProV1's/TP5's I find under trees or that my fiance fishes out of the water. The Kirkland balls are actually quite good, especially for the money.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kirklands were en vogue for a while, then I heard the quality dropped, and now I'm not sure where they ended up.

not that I care, I got a bucket full of cheap Srixons from LostGolfBalls and they work perfectly fine for my needs

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Guys I just got my rejected letter for The Masters! Truly a yearly tradition.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I don’t think a golf ball can reduce “side spin” fwiw, there is just “spin” and your strike dictates how tilted the spin axis is.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Mederlock posted:

For me it's Kirkland Signature golf balls or :frogout: , but I'll play whatever ProV1's/TP5's I find under trees or that my fiance fishes out of the water. The Kirkland balls are actually quite good, especially for the money.

The Kirkland balls have grown on me, but 1 in 10 seems to get scuffed up fast as hell. Once in a while I'll find a Vice ball I like, but this is definitely one of those "tell me a brand you like that you hate the customer base" type of product.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

AndrewP posted:

Kirklands were en vogue for a while, then I heard the quality dropped, and now I'm not sure where they ended up.

not that I care, I got a bucket full of cheap Srixons from LostGolfBalls and they work perfectly fine for my needs

I really like Kirklands for how cheap they are, but I hate how much spin they produce. A normal fade with a two piece noodle I pull out of the bushes turns into an awful slice with a Kirkland. I really like them off any club other than a driver, though I do notice the cover get cut up much easier than other balls. After two or three chips you'll start to see little cuts on the ball.

I picked up a couple boxes of the V2.0 Kirklands yesterday but haven't had a chance to test them yet.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

MustardFacial posted:

I really like Kirklands for how cheap they are, but I hate how much spin they produce. A normal fade with a two piece noodle I pull out of the bushes turns into an awful slice with a Kirkland. I really like them off any club other than a driver, though I do notice the cover get cut up much easier than other balls. After two or three chips you'll start to see little cuts on the ball.

I picked up a couple boxes of the V2.0 Kirklands yesterday but haven't had a chance to test them yet.

They're shorter off the tee. You can bounce them on a hard surface side-by-side with a pro v1 or a comparable ball and they bounce about 2-3 inches shorter.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Happy Masters ticket reject day.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kirios posted:

Guys I just got my rejected letter for The Masters! Truly a yearly tradition.

Oh poo poo, I'm scared to open my email now.

edit: god loving damnit

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MustardFacial posted:

The V2.0 balls are what I've been playing the last few weeks, and yeah, they do get a bit dinged up. Realistically, I'm still at the point in my game where I'm losing balls in the woods or in the drink before damage to the cover becomes a relevant concern. They're still high spin balls, which suits some players and doesn't work at all for others. These guys did a pretty good review of them side by side with a Pro V1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqLVynGnsCQ.

It seems the differences between the two balls comes out the most in the irons.

However, I was pleasantly surprised when I played an entire 9 hole round without losing the orphaned TP5x I salvaged from the bush a few weeks ago. I think that's a first for me! :sun:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mattfl posted:

Oh poo poo, I'm scared to open my email now.

edit: god loving damnit

Same.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Suprfli6 posted:

I don’t think a golf ball can reduce “side spin” fwiw, there is just “spin” and your strike dictates how tilted the spin axis is.

True. There are only spin rate and spin axis, not separate measurements for "back spin" and "side spin".

However, the composition of the ball is going to affect the net result as far as how far left or right the shot curves in two ways.

First, the cover of the ball will greatly affect the spin rate. Softer covers will create more spin and a ball spinning at a higher rate on the same spin axis will curve more than one spinning at a lower rate (assuming all other measurements, like ball speed, being equal).

And second, the composition of the ball - materials, dimple design, etc - will affect how much left or right curve a shot has even with all other things being equal. So let's say you have two identical driver swingss where the resultant metrics are 160mph ball speed, 2500rpm spin rate, +1.5* spin axis, ...etc. That shot may curve 20 yards right to left with a ProV1, but only curve 10 yards with a ProV1X.

Anyway, point is that the ball will definitely affect how much you fade/draw/hook/slice a shot to some extent, just like it will affect distance.

nerox
May 20, 2001
You guys are putting up rookie numbers. If you make an mutual agreement with three buddies that you will all go as a group no matter who gets tickets, its like getting 4 rejections every year instead of one.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

nerox posted:

You guys are putting up rookie numbers. If you make an mutual agreement with three buddies that you will all go as a group no matter who gets tickets, its like getting 4 rejections every year instead of one.

:hmmyes:

Haven't gotten my rejection email yet... yet.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

:hmmyes:

Haven't gotten my rejection email yet... yet.

Goto masters.com and check

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I just got the actual rejection email about five minutes ago.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Great article about Bubba playing a local public course

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/bubba-watson-tour-pro-at-your-course?utm_campaign=bubba&utm_medium=social

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Played for the first time in about a month with my brother in law at a nice little city course in St. Paul called Keller Golf Course, home to the St Paul open that ran back in like the 20s-50s.

It’s a nice classic parkland course with a few quirky holes. They renovated it a few years ago and it’s now in great shape. Plays only about 6500 or so from the back tees.

Birdied the first hole
Missed a 2.5 foot putt for birdie on the 2nd
Missed a ten foot putt birdie on the 3rd

Overall though a pretty solid round, was 5 over on the last 4 holes to shoot a 79. Not bad, didn’t lose a ball either, which is now TWO rounds in a row.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I had played all year with pro v’s, not because I’m worth a hot poo poo, but because my work has them for free for marketing. I had run out my last time playing and ended up using some Tru-Feels from Titleist I got from a scramble. I really liked them, they felt good putting and chipping and researching after the fact they are cheap as hell. I’ll probably use them for a bit.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
So I recently switched to a set of Miura MC-501s, and I've gained about 5 yards on my irons, plus they're sick as hell. I also used vinegar to strip this black finish off, so they're raw and nasty.

However, spin has dropped off the map. I hit a 150 yd 9 iron into an 11 stimp green with a Srixon Z Star XV, and the ball released 10 yards.

I have a few boxes of K-Sig 2.0s. I may switch to those and see if I get any spin back. I can deal with a few less yards on the irons, but the Z Star is so good off the tee...

Edit: I brought some Modus 120S that I had in Cobra S3 irons into these Miuras, which had DG S400s that were +1". They were even longer before reshafting, but I still noticed less spin.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

I also used vinegar to strip this black finish off, so they're raw and nasty.

However, spin has dropped off the map. I hit a 150 yd 9 iron into an 11 stimp green with a Srixon Z Star XV, and the ball released 10 yards.

That's what you get for ruining that beautiful black finish :argh:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
https://golf.com/instruction/what-to-do-group-hits-into-you-etiquetteist/

My home course gets a shout out again. The perfect example of middle aged men "fighting."

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hey Ricky Fowler is actually doing something

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

anyone have any experience with the Moe Norman/Bryson/Todd Graves "single plane" swing?

I just cannot, cannot get a driver swing to feel comfortable and I'm constantly slicing it off the planet, so I'm giving it a shot. I appreciate the relative simplicity of it. Feels weird at first but what feels "natural" to me just does not work.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 23, 2021

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Seems like if only a handful of people have ever had success with something they're probably outliers and not an ideal method to copy.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

clinic #2 today

how it started: 3 hozel jobs and two ground balls

how it ended: 2 blocked 110y 7 irons and 3 striped 140y of the same. was struggling with a consistent takeaway until i stuck a glove under my right armpit and things immediately felt better

Dr. Capco posted:

Seems like if only a handful of people have ever had success with something they're probably outliers and not an ideal method to copy.

otoh one of them is widely considered the most accurate ball striker in history so something is there

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
AndrewP, I got that book last year after falling down a Moe Norman youtube hole. I had a pretty single plane swing already, just from years of doing my own thing.

Dr. Capco posted:

I mean, maybe? I think it's also possible some things are taught that aren't actually optimal, because people watched Ben Hogan thrust his hips in a certain way and decided they'd do it too. When you combine that with Norman's reclusive personality — not the kind of person to do a lot of clinics or tutorials — it's possible that there's some value there at least for some people.

First day with my new G425 irons today. Playing them one degree upright with the new Proj-X shafts. Hit them really well, almost no slices. Play a bit shorter than my old clubs — the Cobra S3 Max — but that looks to be mostly due to a loft difference, and I will sacrifice distance for accuracy any day of the week given my current game.

Also, my 3 year putting average before my putter fitting was 2.15, but since I got a fitting I think it's 1.8, so I'm pretty happy about that too.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My question for you folks is, is a full bag club fitting really worth the money? I'm 6'2"+ and I'm using standard length clubs, but find I'm regularly just barely topping/blading my clubs. Not sure if it's a technique thing or a club thing(or both). My instructor mentioned something about it, but I'm just not sure. The money isn't a huge factor, but I don't want to drop it if it's only a minor improvement compared to what I'd see from that money's worth of lessons.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

could always go with shaft extensions. grab an old club and have someone throw an inch and a new grip on it and see how it feels

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I hit GIR on every par 3 today. Usually my biggest weakness. Felt good to dial those 6-7-8 irons in for a whole round finally.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Was Moe Norman that accurate because he used his swing or because he had whatever extreme mental focus to work his swing until it was perfect? Ben Hogan and Lee Trevino were also famously good in terms of accuracy, and you couldn’t find 3 swings more different. But they were also extreme range rats.

Lee Trevino said you should go out and do 4 hours of practice before you go and do 4 hours of real golf.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Was Moe Norman that accurate because he used his swing or because he had whatever extreme mental focus to work his swing until it was perfect?

Probably a bit of both and, if I remember, a touch of ASD/spatial hyperintelligence.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that — as I understand it — the point of the single plane swing is to reduce variation, and thus opportunity for error, in your swing. There are tradeoffs; most people acknowledge you usually lose some distance, for example, unless you're Bryson all jacked up swinging as hard as he physically can. I don't think it's unreasonable or illogical to imagine "hey, if you struggle with proprioception and swing consistency and therefore accuracy, you *might* benefit from this kind of swing that helps KISS, at the cost of some other things that may or may not be worth it."

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I'm not saying its the best swing available, but to me it kind of makes sense from a movement standpoint more than the standard driver swing ever has. Easier to replicate.

If I could get like 220 out of the tee box and not into the woods I'd be satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Second lesson. Had to rotate through driver, seven and PW. Went into the bunker so he could show me where my club was hitting on an iron by drawing a line in the sand and asking me to swing my seven and then how to correct it by moving my weight so the bottom of the arc was in the right place. All good stuff.

Starting to get used to this new grip. Went to driving range today to do my homework - 100 balls going through the three clubs one after another. His point was that I drive and then I'm onto another club so being able to pick up the club needed for the next shot and use it is very important, compared to just smashing a driver for an hour.

We also practiced chipping at a target behind the bunker where I learnt no power at all was needed. I asked him how close he could get and he took my club and just hit five balls one after the other right into the middle of it whilst I stared.

Good times.