Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

This is actually an op to groom some Twitch/YouTube crazies for the next generation alien programs. Lue’s face is genetically modified to optimize for refusal by zoomers and all future generations in the style of ‘gently caress you dad I’ll do what I want’ 🤷‍♂️

I can’t explain that being an equal optimization for smash mouth and/or flavortown, still running the ML models for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
Man, this thread slowed way the hell down after the aitee

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Think Less posted:

The aliens recognized the pure of heart among us and all the real believers are in a spaceship just out of view behind that giant comet coming our way. Standby for instructions

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Think Less posted:

see yall next time, space cowfolks

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I went and saw the site of the former Heaven's Gate house. its pretty boring, just a rich person suburban house with a pool kinda thing. I felt the vibes though, Ti and Do definitely still haunting it with their vibrations.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

I went and saw the site of the former Heaven's Gate house. its pretty boring, just a rich person suburban house with a pool kinda thing. I felt the vibes though, Ti and Do definitely still haunting it with their vibrations.

Wonder if that one dude not picked for the away team is all :smuggo: looking at all the alien stuff lately

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Think Less posted:

it was a fun thing to shitpost about after the wet fart that was the congressional report but it's a bit of a lull in the news right now

itll pick back up before long

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Rah! posted:

what if aliens just get around with advanced astral projection, and humans are notable in that we haven't figured it out and keep trying to use these crazy machines to do everything, strapping ourselves to explosives and launching ourselves into space and poo poo lmao :sad:

Bearing Light

Short story by Paul Burgess that's set in an alternate timeline where the Soviets conquered most of the world and the US figures out how to use projection to explore the galaxy. It's all a bunch of horrifying eldritch implications piling up on each other in a dystopic setting that deserves nothing short of atomic cleansing.

quote:

There were three of our number missing, three who had never made successful transit, and who now never would. I knew only one of them personally, a tall, blond, moustached man named Davis. Seventeen we had numbered in Tucson on Earth, but only fourteen we numbered on Denebola VI. Three had been lost as their rarefied forms ghosted between the stars, taken by falling from the tightrope of the dreaming-time, taken by departing from wei wu wei. They would now continue on as ever-spreading wavefronts, their very atoms distributed as probability measures over several cubic meters; and in what would be to the universe tens of billions of years, but to them only short months, the decayed remains of what had once been a human being would meet the thermal death. But that would be only the beginning of their horrors.

For few of our savants believed any longer in the ultimate nature of physical matter.

Vernii has issued a correction as of 19:04 on Jul 24, 2021

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Think Less posted:

Hurry up and wait!

Chris Lehto was on podcast ufo last week to poo poo on mick west, highly recommended

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
this thread is slow so UFOs can GO FAST

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Azathoth posted:

it was a fun thing to shitpost about after the wet fart that was the congressional report but it's a bit of a lull in the news right now

itll pick back up before long

correct

things are happening and the phenomenon is more real than people realize

there's a few posts I'd like to make if i get the energy

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Objurium posted:

Currently reading this on my vaguely UFO related work road trip and it's funny how much Harold Putoff pops up in the various paranormal circles.

Putoff was the one running initial tests on remote viewing in California that the author sought out after having an out of body near death experience, and also was apparently who Eric Davis was directly beneath at AWSAP.

I'm mostly agnostic on psychic poo poo but I'm not opposed to the idea that humans have some latent ability to tap into some weirdo quantum information stream or whatever given that our current best guess is that birds have evolved to take advantage of the same phenomena to utilize the magnetic field for navigation.

I'm also probably just driving myself loving insane lmao

Vernii posted:

Bearing Light

Short story by Paul Burgess that's set in an alternate timeline where the Soviets conquered most of the world and the US figures out how to use projection to explore the galaxy. It's all a bunch of horrifying eldritch implications piling up on each other in a dystopic setting that deserves nothing short of atomic cleansing.

that story sounds interesting, i should give it a read through. ive been thinking about similar aspects of this as Objurium for a bit now and it is a bit mind bending and it may have some interesting related fictional narrative. its easy to posit the existence of non-interactive forces/fields but its hard to imagine how you would discover or prove their existence. gotta open your third eye and look at the shining information-tons blasting everywhere i guess?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

As far as the thread/news goes, they've been spacing out big drops and leaks since this stuff started showing up in 2017 or whatever. Give it time.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

WEH posted:

Hurry up and wait!

Chris Lehto was on podcast ufo last week to poo poo on mick west, highly recommended

cool, ill check it out. i've been going through a bunch of vidoes and i'll make a post about some of the more interesting recent ones soon

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Log082 posted:

As far as the thread/news goes, they've been spacing out big drops and leaks since this stuff started showing up in 2017 or whatever. Give it time.

trust the plan

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Z3tBDJk6rgc?feature=share

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Weak, the next date should be at least a month out, as to perpetuate the unsustainable hype-machine

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

trust the plan

man I even went and revised that to try to sound less cult-y

All I'm saying is, every time the media hype starts to die down, there's a lull of a few months/half a year or so and then the next NYT or CNN article comes out saying "hey you guys remember when the military found UFOs? still a thing."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you don't need the media to learn about birds. just open your window

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Pontificating rear end posted:

Weak, the next date should be at least a month out, as to perpetuate the unsustainable hype-machine

this is just avi loeb trying to scam some more oumuamua money

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

just 40 more years, baby. easy.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

PawParole posted:

https://www.npl.washington.edu/av/altvw209.html

here's an article in Analog

The Lentz Soliton FTL Drive

In a recent paper, Dr. Erik W. Lentz, presently a postdoc at Germany 's Göttingen University Institute for Astrophysics (and who received his PhD in astrophysics at my own University of Washington ) has demonstrated that there is a positive-energy space-time soliton solution of Einstein's equations of general relativity. Using the Arnowitt, Deser, and Misner (ADM) formulation of general relativity and a hyperbolic rather than linear or elliptic relation for the ADM "shift vector", Lentz has been able to construct a moving, possibly superluminal, soliton that involves only positive mass-energy. His soliton is constructed to contain a relatively flat-space central region with minimal tidal forces, in which internal proper time corresponds to outside time (i.e., no relativistic time dilation), and internal observers move with the speed of the soliton itself without feeling inertial forces. The transport logistics of the Lentz Drive are similar to those of the Alcubierre Drive .

The Lentz soliton has a "delta" shape formed from about seven diamond-shaped blocks of specially-configured ADM shift vectors "flying in formation" to surround the flat interior region and to move it forward. The volume of local space that is expanded or contracted by the Lentz soliton is rather complex, containing multiple regions corresponding to negative and positive hyperbolic space expansions. In contrast, the Alcubierre soliton contains only one negative and one positive expansion region. The weak energy condition of general relativity, which is strongly violated by the Alcubierre Warp Drive , is satisfied by the Lentz soliton, and it also satisfies the momentum condition of general relativity.

Despite the virtue of its positive energy, the amount of mass-energy needed to form a Lentz soliton is a major problem, Lentz estimates that a soliton moving at the speed of light with a diameter of 200 meters and a shell thickness of 1 meter would require a mass-energy of around 1/10 of a solar mass, not a universe-worth but still a dismayingly large value. He points out, however, that techniques already in the literature have shown that it is possible to greatly reduce the mass-magnitude required by the Alcuiberre drive. These techniques could probably be similarly applied to the Lentz soliton drive, reducing the required mass-energy to a more obtainable value.

Update on the Lentz drive from scientific American.

Star Trek’s Warp Drive Leads to New Physics
Researchers are taking a closer look at this science-fiction staple—and bringing the idea a little closer to reality

Lentz has spent much of his own career hunting for dark matter but in 2020, while in pandemic lockdowns, he decided to consider again: would a warp drive really need this kind of negative energy to work? “That’s when I found another loophole,” he says.

By adjusting the geometric design of Alcubierre’s warp bubble (which traditionally is shaped like a wave, cresting up as spacetime expands behind the ship), Lentz calculates you could create the bubble from normal energy alone – he imagines using a super-dense plasma hot enough to generate powerful magnetic fields. “Inside the bubble, you’d still have that flat, safe harbour for the ship to rest, about 100 metres wide,” he says. “But all around it’d be rough seas rather than one nice wave.”

Lentz’s design would still require an “astronomical amount of energy in the literal sense” but if it holds true in theoretical models he says that’s a problem for engineering to whittle down “from the mass of the sun to the gram scale”. “The point would be it’s possible.”

TLDR: some guy claims that there’s a way to build a warp drive without unobtainable negative energy we aren’t sure exists.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Jul 25, 2021

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Soundtrack for the thread: https://open.spotify.com/track/7o0kWI9oe5RA9lNXNBfxPc?si=75369c6525544c04

also remember, if it's interdimensional aliens using astral poo poo, it's just demons and we're at the end, and you should prepare accodingly!

cheers.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
has anyone sent up like 7 spacecraft at once? FTL travel is there for the taking, you just have to fly in a V stance. birds been telling us this poo poo for years people

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Riot Bimbo posted:

Soundtrack for the thread: https://open.spotify.com/track/7o0kWI9oe5RA9lNXNBfxPc?si=75369c6525544c04

also remember, if it's interdimensional aliens using astral poo poo, it's just demons and we're at the end, and you should prepare accodingly!

cheers.

Tiberian Sun's soundtrack is so good.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

PawParole posted:

Update on the Lentz drive from scientific American.

Star Trek’s Warp Drive Leads to New Physics
Researchers are taking a closer look at this science-fiction staple—and bringing the idea a little closer to reality

Lentz has spent much of his own career hunting for dark matter but in 2020, while in pandemic lockdowns, he decided to consider again: would a warp drive really need this kind of negative energy to work? “That’s when I found another loophole,” he says.

By adjusting the geometric design of Alcubierre’s warp bubble (which traditionally is shaped like a wave, cresting up as spacetime expands behind the ship), Lentz calculates you could create the bubble from normal energy alone – he imagines using a super-dense plasma hot enough to generate powerful magnetic fields. “Inside the bubble, you’d still have that flat, safe harbour for the ship to rest, about 100 metres wide,” he says. “But all around it’d be rough seas rather than one nice wave.”

Lentz’s design would still require an “astronomical amount of energy in the literal sense” but if it holds true in theoretical models he says that’s a problem for engineering to whittle down “from the mass of the sun to the gram scale”. “The point would be it’s possible.”

TLDR: some guy claims that there’s a way to build a warp drive without unobtainable negative energy we aren’t sure exists.

Hell yes that's the poo poo I like to read! So we need to generate a ton of energy from a small amount of mass, eh? Sounds like breeding antimatter is the key here.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

platzapS posted:

this is freakin me out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2FsS69p0iM

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Log082 posted:

Ross Coulthart's book comes out next week. That should be good.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

owns

https://youtu.be/Xm5BVKMPX-M

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

how have i never heard of filk before?!? :eyepop:

out: sea shanties
in: space shanties

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

how have i never heard of filk before?!? :eyepop:

out: sea shanties
in: space shanties

I have so much gratitude for the people saving things like that and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

BeefThief posted:

this is just avi loeb trying to scam some more oumuamua money

isn't he doing an AMA on Reddit tomorrow? r/UFOs iirc

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

isn't he doing an AMA on Reddit tomorrow? r/UFOs iirc

Yeah, it's apparently happening in like 45 minutes

https://www.reddit.com/r/UAP/comments/ofis86/mark_the_date_prof_avi_loeb_ama_sun_25th_july/

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:wtc:

https://twitter.com/tlhicks713/status/1419077985999667207

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
not a far out idea imo, we are after all in the hell-universe

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Avi Loeb AMA direct link

https://www.reddit.com/r/UAP/comments/ore7gr/a_scientific_study_of_uap/

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

one of the milky way's zillionaire class purchasing earth from the zeta ritiuclans for their vacation home is the only way to save the planet from climate catastrophe

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

hope the good professor finds something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Tekne posted:

one of the milky way's zillionaire class purchasing earth from the zeta ritiuclans for their vacation home is the only way to save the planet from climate catastrophe

Now that's thinking with capitalism!