Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Unity, although I've been writing some C++ lately and thinking about playing around with Unreal more.

Developing in VR is a pain but is also really amazeballs cool and rewarding.

Yeah I've been rocking that "no longer employed" thing a little too long and am struggling to find a job again. Tried to find a games job but I guess I don't have enough professional experience. So I guess I'll take another general software gig soon, although the upside there is I guess I can still work on personal VR projects at least, where a game job would probably make me sign some draconian non-compete.

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking :) You've got a few more ideas than I came up with though!

I love the idea of a "Gandalf Simulator" game but I think its too ambitious for me to pull off by myself. But maybe a "Kiki simulator" is something I could pull off...

Hey your POC there looks better than anything I've done with Unity haha.

Tom Guycot posted:

So its paperboy? lol

Which isn't a bad idea in the least, and in fact a great idea.

I was imaging this too based on reading that, but honestly VR Paperboy sounds pretty fun to me.

Call it DeliVeRance

(don't call it that, that's my name for the game I'm never actually gonna make)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
can't stop thinking about this picture

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

canyoneer posted:

The Glistco Glizzy Glider, specially designed for eating virtual hotdogs in H3VR.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

I mean, there's women's advertisements where they're proud that they don't photoshop out cellulite (totally natural and normal for humans to have). This is kind of the same "truth in advertising" thing to me.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Also I know it's still a billions dollar IP but do people really care about kid wizards these days?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I got a way more positive response from twitter than any of my other work so far so I guess I'll follow where this goes for awhile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4FMH27w2MI

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stride coming to Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJXLLQ7OH7g

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, I'm done buying games on Steam. Sick of having crossbuy ports that I'd like to play on quest come out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The grappling hook swing look siiiiick. Lots of really nice platforming there. I guess I should get this already.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There a pair of VR devs here, so, for you
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/oculus-all-in-on-openxr-deprecates-proprietary-apis/

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

This seems like a pretty huge deal. By August they'll stop adding new features to their existing APIs and instead work on adding features through openXR, and by august of next year will require all new apps to use openXR and the legacy APIs for mobile and PC will be unsupported going forward.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Refresh my memory, is that the one Steam and everyone else is using? Is everyone finally using the same playbook?

e - Dev folks, is Unreal VR dev less fucky than Unity's? I started poking around in there again and the engine in general seems like a mess of bolted on systems; VR being even more so.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Warbird posted:

Refresh my memory, is that the one Steam and everyone else is using? Is everyone finally using the same playbook?

e - Dev folks, is Unreal VR dev less fucky than Unity's? I started poking around in there again and the engine in general seems like a mess of bolted on systems; VR being even more so.

In the before time, long ago, everyone had to make software of their own to control these new fangled VR helmets. Oculus had the OVR api starting with the DK1, valve had OpenVR, and microsoft had their whatever it was called. You also had things like daydream and such, but that was kinda minor.

A few years into things oculus, valve, microsoft, nvidia and everyone with an interest as part of a kronos thing came together to lay down the groundwork for one universal VR api: OpenXR (XR because it would also apply for AR as well as VR). At the time oculus, valve and others all said they wanted to move forward with it and eventually depreciate their own proprietary API's in favor of openXR, but for many years it just kind of lingered. Oculus added openXR support on quest, valve release openXR support, but it didn't gain a lot of traction really (MS Flight sim actually was released using openXR apparently), so its kind of lingered on the developer side.

This marks the biggest push yet now for openXR and with oculus mothballing their own APIs, it should pretty instantly lead to huge developer support since all the devs wanting to get their games on quest now will have to build for openXR in the future anyways, and if they're already using openXR for the quest, they might as well just use openXR period since at this point the vast majority of stuff out there can use it.

It might also be the kick for valve to beef up their openXR release they did last year, since that was technically still a preview release (unless its gotten more updates since then I haven't kept up with).

All in all its just a good thing for VR because it means anyone that builds a VR headset (stand alone as well) only has to build it to support openXR, instead of relying on other proprietary APIs for each headset, or shims like revive/the steamVR-WMR one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I already know all about it and assume lemming and others do too. Its been around for awhile already and is clearly the solution for the future.

That said, while unreal does, unity doesn't actually support most headsets with openxr yet. Soon?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Warbird posted:

No steam is OpenVR and Oculus is OculusSDK. This is a 3rd, platform agnostic api.

Unreal and Unity are the same for VR.

I don't know where to start with that comment? Games are complicated?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Zaphod42 posted:

I got a way more positive response from twitter than any of my other work so far so I guess I'll follow where this goes for awhile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4FMH27w2MI

You are half way to flying a magic carpet by grabbing near either corner of it and pushing forward/back/up/down/twisting. Just saying.

A whole new woooooorld......

E:

The real reason i came to this thread before being distracted by that was to ask what to get from the humble VR sale going on just now: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/summer-vr-sale

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Saints and sinners and boneworks are popular ITT

Gorn and Arizona Sunshine less so but they are fun.

Haven't played into the radius but it looks cool.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I know I posted about into the radius, so search my post history. I'd quote myself but phone posting right now. Tl;dr it's sort of janky but really nicely fills the stalker niche it aims for.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
My nephew asked me if I could find a VR game where you can "build stuff". I'm assuming he means something like Minecraft or Lego, or something. Any recommendations?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boz0r posted:

My nephew asked me if I could find a VR game where you can "build stuff". I'm assuming he means something like Minecraft or Lego, or something. Any recommendations?

Fantastic Contraption is really fun and has you building things, not sure if that's what he wants. Its closer to Lego. (Really more like Knex)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCnnJXMi8KE

Rec Room lets you build spaces sooooorta like Minecraft? It might be hard for a kid though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0VJklw2aew

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Boz0r posted:

PCVR? Quest? PSVR?

On PCVR there's modbox:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/414120/Modbox/

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Boz0r posted:

I mean, theres always the VR port of minecraft itself?

Maybe by "build stuff" he'd be interested in one of the art programs like tiltbrush/quill or stuff like that?

Theres a few survival games where you craft and build stuff, township tale, the forrest, star shelter, and others?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Sometimes my Quest 2 boots into a black screen and the only thing I can do is to keep rebooting and hope one of the reboots "fixes" it somehow. Is this a known problem and is there a consistent way to fix this? Googling brings up resetting the whole thing but I feel there must be a simpler solution if it happens this often (twice in the last two weeks).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I have $2000 for a new PC VR headset and a video card what's the correct solution. Presumably I want the Index, which I guess is back in stock now, and either a 20 or 30 series Nvidia? I vaguely recall the 30 series having more vr specific instructions

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Budgie posted:

The real reason i came to this thread before being distracted by that was to ask what to get from the humble VR sale going on just now: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/summer-vr-sale

Eleven Table Tennis is great.
If you have a Quest possibly better to get from that store so you get Quest and PC version.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hadlock posted:

If I have $2000 for a new PC VR headset and a video card what's the correct solution. Presumably I want the Index, which I guess is back in stock now, and either a 20 or 30 series Nvidia? I vaguely recall the 30 series having more vr specific instructions

The 30 series was mostly a performance boost, feature wise its largely the same. Now that cards are trickling back in stock you might as well go for a 3080 or whatever.

VR headset though, it's a tough choice. The index has a wider FOV, is marginally sharper, is very comfortable out of the box and the tracking is fantastic, but there are no options for wireless and that's such a big deal that it may override everything else. For the Quest 2 you also have to deal with some jank and need to buy a third party head strap and wifi router for the best experience, as well as there being that wretched Facebook requirement.

I put other headsets in the OP as a courtesy, for most people it really comes down to those two.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

that wretched Facebook requirement.

it really comes down to those two.

Index it is! Thanks

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

SCheeseman posted:

VR headset though, it's a tough choice. The index has a wider FOV, is marginally sharper,

I'm not sure what you mean by marginally sharper, if you mean optics-wise maybe, but if you're talking visible detail the Quest 2 blows the Index out of the water.

It's a significantly larger resolution spread over a much smaller field of view, so the Q2 has nearly twice as many pixels per degree. I owned both headsets simultaneously and the difference is very noticeable. Personally I prefer the higher PPD over the higher FOV, it's one of the reasons I sold the Index after getting the Q2 (the other reasons are the touch controllers, standalone play, and wireless pcvr).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

Tried out The Room VR and it's great and moody and a decent escape room puzzle game--it really put me in the mood for a cool supernatural horror VR experience; anyone know any good ones? I do have Phasmophobia but I have nobody to play it with so I'm looking for single player experiences.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/427760/A_Chair_in_a_Room__Greenwater/

this is like a point and click puzzle game (super basic tho) in VR, but it's focused on horror and p. good at it imo

e: it's rather short tho, imo wait for sale

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Argue posted:

Sometimes my Quest 2 boots into a black screen and the only thing I can do is to keep rebooting and hope one of the reboots "fixes" it somehow. Is this a known problem and is there a consistent way to fix this? Googling brings up resetting the whole thing but I feel there must be a simpler solution if it happens this often (twice in the last two weeks).

I had something like that happen to me a while and eventually I figured out it was the VR cover slipping down over the face sensor and blocking it. Moving the cover up a bit so that it doesn't squish down over the sensor fixed it.

edit - update on my lone echo purchase. I am working my way through it and really liking it so far. For sure worth the sale price.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Truga posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/427760/A_Chair_in_a_Room__Greenwater/

this is like a point and click puzzle game (super basic tho) in VR, but it's focused on horror and p. good at it imo

e: it's rather short tho, imo wait for sale

As it happens, it is on sale! On the Oculus site. Thanks!

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I had something like that happen to me a while and eventually I figured out it was the VR cover slipping down over the face sensor and blocking it. Moving the cover up a bit so that it doesn't squish down over the sensor fixed it.

edit - update on my lone echo purchase. I am working my way through it and really liking it so far. For sure worth the sale price.

And aaah this makes sense! I'll pay attention to the cover next time this happens and see if that's what does it! Thanks as well!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tip posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by marginally sharper, if you mean optics-wise maybe, but if you're talking visible detail the Quest 2 blows the Index out of the water.

It's a significantly larger resolution spread over a much smaller field of view, so the Q2 has nearly twice as many pixels per degree. I owned both headsets simultaneously and the difference is very noticeable. Personally I prefer the higher PPD over the higher FOV, it's one of the reasons I sold the Index after getting the Q2 (the other reasons are the touch controllers, standalone play, and wireless pcvr).

Maybe I was being too kind to the Index, but the video compression and multiple resamples across the Link pipeline significantly effects perceptual sharpness.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 24, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VR sale on Humble Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/summer-vr-sale/?partner=blank

Honestly, I'm seeing the same games they had on their last sale.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

VR sale on Humble Bundle

This was good for me as a new user. Picked up I Expect you to Die and Creed.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Turin Turambar posted:

VR sale on Humble Bundle

Well that's good because I didn't have VR last time they went on sale, so!

Thoughts on Killing Floor: Incursion and Boneworks? I know the latter is popular but I've not researched much cause I didn't think I'd get VR when I found out about it. This sale reminded me of it, tbh.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tip posted:

I'm the opposite so take this all with large grains of salt.

The FOV is so drastically different putting on a quest 2 now for me, sucks.

Index is also more comfy imo. I cannot get my quest 2 near the level of comfy my index is.

Quest is a better value tho. If you're not a facebook hater or w/e

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 24, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This would almost certainly make me throw up

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sure I hate Facebook, but someday I'm not going to be able to afford to ignore one of the biggest players in the industry :effort:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone have a link to the 'get started modding Skyrim VR' googledoc? I finally managed to get it working again via the thrilling method of "it just started working again for some reason, who knows" and I want to dive right in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Pierson posted:

Does anyone have a link to the 'get started modding Skyrim VR' googledoc? I finally managed to get it working again via the thrilling method of "it just started working again for some reason, who knows" and I want to dive right in.

Here is one that I've used. I'm sure there are others out there.