Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I love Moon Knight's deal. On the one hand, Marc is incredibly hosed up. On the other hand, he's still literally the representative of a vengeful god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Having the villain be a black guy in a black Moon Knight mask sure is a choice, but supposedly he’ll be in the show? Good book regardless. I like the vampire stuff that’s been going on between Wolverine and the Avengers, so hopefully we get more in Moon Knight.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

He doesn't really seem like a bad guy, probably an antagonist (this is also an almost perfect setup for an eventual ally) but I wasn't getting villain vibes at all, personally.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rick posted:

Read the 30 year anniversary Darkhawk. I liked it. I thought they did a good job of capturing the evolving tone of Darkhawk. It also sort of felt like an appropriate wrap for the character (as little as I believe anyone who falls into a space portal is dead) and a nice set up for who wears the armor next. “Well I wasn’t that great at being a hero but maybe the next one to use this crystal will learn from my mistakes” (to paraphrase) is pretty appropriate.

This lead me into seeing what other Darkhawk stuff was on Unlimited. Not much. But The Loners was up. There are several “yikes” things written about and put into Japanese character’s mouths in it, especially for a 2007 comic when there really wasn’t much excuse. The series was a rare hate read for me.

Wow, that's not good. On a nostalgic hero getting killed in one of these one-off things, that's just dreary. I reference Darkhawk from time to time, my brother is a huge fan. I usually tell him whenever there's a new Darkhawk one-shot or cameo, even though like mentioned here it's often bad and doesn't really fit with that 90s run.

That's one of those things where you gotta do it right, if you're gonna do it. Should at least get a good mini-series focusing on his life and stuff. Where he's at. Don't just chuck him in a hole like an old action figure you're throwing out. It's like when you kill the survivors of one movie in the beginning of the next one, it's just not kosher. Thank you for mentioning this, I had that on the read list, good thing I was sitting down.

edit: I just flipped through it, because my precious time should be spent posting this instead of reading Higgins prose on the death of the mighty Hawk. I do like Abnett though, not necessarily for his writing of this character, but I may read this later. Boo though, boo. Killing characters without earning it, not even during a series with continuity or reason, it's just madness. Marvel should not be allowed to kill anymore, do it like One Piece, two or three deaths a decade at most. Make 'em work for it. It's so one note. Mothra should've gone into that hole to save the day or whatever instead, Mothra is ready for that sacrifice. Get IDW on the phone, get some Mothra. Go live Chris, you're a young man! You've still got it!

To paraphrase Spaced, had a good cry when I heard Darkhawk was apparently killed in a space incident in a one-off thingy.

"We're at the precipice of a shadow war..." - well la dee da!

tl;dr - innocent hero space man is senselessly killed in a comic special, one poster tries to come to peace with this. I do believe it is against comics ethics code to do this in a 30th anniversary special, especially to an underdog character of this sort.

Off topic, I know this isn't Higgins fault, but is he killing off any of those Power Rangers in his run? Is our childhood safe? If Kimberly gets sacrificed to stop the galactic Vending Machine monster, I'm gonna throw tomatoes at my comic viewer.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 24, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Open Marriage Night posted:

Having the villain be a black guy in a black Moon Knight mask sure is a choice, but supposedly he’ll be in the show? Good book regardless. I like the vampire stuff that’s been going on between Wolverine and the Avengers, so hopefully we get more in Moon Knight.

Lmao c'mon man

The Moon Knight book was good. Vulpes needs to write these smaller characters forever so we never grow to hate him because of a bad event.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hey I guess this is the best thread to ask this question. I haven't read a lot of Marvel comics beyond the occasional one-off, but I've read a lot of graphic novels or collected versions of stuff.

With all the Kang news once thing I've been kind of fascinated by is that recurring design motif that you see with a lot of Marvel villians/characters, of the big square headpiece that kind of frames the character's face. You know the thing I mean - you see it with Kang/Galactus/MODOK and loads and loads of other characters, especially if they're somehow otherworldly. I was wondering if there were any good resources on the background of that design and why its so prevalent across Marvel. Or even! If there's some wacky in-universe explanation of why that design motif pops up so regularly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Grumbles posted:

Hey I guess this is the best thread to ask this question. I haven't read a lot of Marvel comics beyond the occasional one-off, but I've read a lot of graphic novels or collected versions of stuff.

With all the Kang news once thing I've been kind of fascinated by is that recurring design motif that you see with a lot of Marvel villians/characters, of the big square headpiece that kind of frames the character's face. You know the thing I mean - you see it with Kang/Galactus/MODOK and loads and loads of other characters, especially if they're somehow otherworldly. I was wondering if there were any good resources on the background of that design and why its so prevalent across Marvel. Or even! If there's some wacky in-universe explanation of why that design motif pops up so regularly.

It's called Jack Kirby was a visionary.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Heavy Metal posted:

Wow, that's not good. On a nostalgic hero getting killed in one of these one-off things, that's just dreary. I reference Darkhawk from time to time, my brother is a huge fan. I usually tell him whenever there's a new Darkhawk one-shot or cameo, even though like mentioned here it's often bad and doesn't really fit with that 90s run.

That's one of those things where you gotta do it right, if you're gonna do it. Should at least get a good mini-series focusing on his life and stuff. Where he's at. Don't just chuck him in a hole like an old action figure you're throwing out. It's like when you kill the survivors of one movie in the beginning of the next one, it's just not kosher. Thank you for mentioning this, I had that on the read list, good thing I was sitting down.

edit: I just flipped through it, because my precious time should be spent posting this instead of reading Higgins prose on the death of the mighty Hawk. I do like Abnett though, not necessarily for his writing of this character, but I may read this later. Boo though, boo. Killing characters without earning it, not even during a series with continuity or reason, it's just madness. Marvel should not be allowed to kill anymore, do it like One Piece, two or three deaths a decade at most. Make 'em work for it. It's so one note. Mothra should've gone into that hole to save the day or whatever instead, Mothra is ready for that sacrifice. Get IDW on the phone, get some Mothra. Go live Chris, you're a young man! You've still got it!

To paraphrase Spaced, had a good cry when I heard Darkhawk was apparently killed in a space incident in a one-off thingy.

"We're at the precipice of a shadow war..." - well la dee da!

tl;dr - innocent hero space man is senselessly killed in a comic special, one poster tries to come to peace with this. I do believe it is against comics ethics code to do this in a 30th anniversary special, especially to an underdog character of this sort.

Off topic, I know this isn't Higgins fault, but is he killing off any of those Power Rangers in his run? Is our childhood safe? If Kimberly gets sacrificed to stop the galactic Vending Machine monster, I'm gonna throw tomatoes at my comic viewer.

I absolutely agree with you that death is overused in Marvel (except in X-Men now) and also it’s almost never earned.

I think Darkhawk has been so bad creatively and financially (although I still have a soft spot for the character)that this send off of him was a bit of a labor of love. I would have preferred “well I am stuck in this space station, might as well send the crystal to someone who can use it” or whatever but it is time for a drastically different take on Darkhawk and it doesn’t need much justification.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's called Jack Kirby was a visionary.

Sure - I guess then if anyone knows of good resources on Kirby's reference material for that stuff, that'd be great!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

The Grumbles posted:

This is a really interesting question and while the obvious answer (as provided by Rhyno below) is "many of them were designed by Jack Kirby, others by people working under Kirby's influence" I'm also really curious now about what he was looking at, what he was studying, what he was thinking about when he did those designs. I'll see if I can dig up his sketches he did for a college production of a Shakespeare play-- it's interesting because you can see a lot of the same design elements of his superhero work but he definitely appears to be treating this as something other than just "superhero Shakespeare" so it's more like he maybe considers those things part of a universal visual language.

It's interesting because like, while it's possible I suppose that he was totally suis generis and cooking things up from the aether I find it kind of unlikely because so very very few artists really work like that. Kirby especially finds such a central place in his work in the 60s for collage and pastiche... even stuff like the resemblance between some of his twisty, overwhelming landscapes and prints by Piranesi in the 18th century, it's clear that he was drawing on a very very sophisticated if idiosyncratic visual archive. So yeah, excellent excellent question and one I'd love to know the answer to.

fake edit: Here you go, his Julius Caesar sketches.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

These rule, thank you. I love the Flavius design

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

It's interesting because like, while it's possible I suppose that he was totally suis generis and cooking things up from the aether I find it kind of unlikely because so very very few artists really work like that. Kirby especially finds such a central place in his work in the 60s for collage and pastiche... even stuff like the resemblance between some of his twisty, overwhelming landscapes and prints by Piranesi in the 18th century, it's clear that he was drawing on a very very sophisticated if idiosyncratic visual archive.

fake edit: Here you go, his Julius Caesar sketches.

Yeah, artists are always working from some kind of source material, especially if they're designing stuff - that's just what's required to make good art at that level. There's no aether to pluck things out of!

That link is excellent though, and already goes some of the way to asking my question - roman centurion helmets, with their long metal protective sideburns (technical term) and chin guards look like they must be some influence. Maybe also samurai helmets? Thanks for the link!

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 24, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rick posted:

I absolutely agree with you that death is overused in Marvel (except in X-Men now) and also it’s almost never earned.

I think Darkhawk has been so bad creatively and financially (although I still have a soft spot for the character)that this send off of him was a bit of a labor of love. I would have preferred “well I am stuck in this space station, might as well send the crystal to someone who can use it” or whatever but it is time for a drastically different take on Darkhawk and it doesn’t need much justification.

Right on, good to see appeciation for ol' Darkhawk on here.

The Grumbles posted:

Yeah, artists are always working from some kind of source material, especially if they're designing stuff - that's just what's required to make good art at that level. There's no aether to pluck things out of!

That link is excellent though, and already goes some of the way to asking my question - roman centurion helmets, with their long metal protective sideburns (technical term) and chin guards look like they must be some influence. Maybe also samurai helmets? Thanks for the link!

That reminds me, samurai helmets came up as inspiration for the good ol' Gundam too. Stuff did look cool back in the day.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don’t forget that Kirby definitely drew some inspiration from the Aztecs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Don’t forget that Kirby definitely drew some inspiration from the Aztecs.

You can't prove that it wasn't the other way around.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah I can see very strong Mesoamerican influences in Kirby's designs from the 60s and 70s, which makes sense because there was a lot of countercultural interest in those civilizations in the 50s-60s-- there was definitely a burgeoning of awareness and interest in Pre-Colombian art among the hip and artsy of the anglo world during that period and I would absolutely not be surprised if Kirby was soaking it up.

Don't put too much weight on this, it's just hunch and supposition. Honestly I am not intimately familiar with the biographical particulars of what he was doing and where he was going in the 60s, I just wouldn't be surprised. At the very least The Eternals draws directly from some von Danniken stuff that, while very goofy and more than a little bit racist, does rely heavily on interpeting and examining Pre-Columbian art and culture.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought I read somewhere that Kirby was into that ancient aliens stuff, at least as a nifty premise for sci-fi, but tbh I can't remember if I actually did or if I'm just making that up

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rhyno posted:

You can't prove that it wasn't the other way around.

I laughed stupid hard at this.

Also I don't know gently caress all about gangtags and whatnot, but how in the hell do I get that Roman garrison soldier sketch with the SPQR staff as one of those double-high two-part avatars?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

site posted:

I thought I read somewhere that Kirby was into that ancient aliens stuff, at least as a nifty premise for sci-fi, but tbh I can't remember if I actually did or if I'm just making that up

ETERNALS was not subtle about its influences

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Well goddamn. In a better universe than this, Jack Kirby didn't become a comic book artist, he became a full time, highly prolific fashion designer and everyone looks *amazing* for decades to follow.

The Sooth Sayer looks like he's on good terms with the Ancient Spirits of Evil, mind.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
RE: darkhawk talk

He was added as a playable character to the contest of champions game. Its a bit of a gatcha game but ive managed to be f2p so far.

Hes pretty neat to play with but im also terrible at the game. Theres actually a ton of weird cosmic marvel in that thing. And some immortal hulk.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

l33tfuzzbox posted:

RE: darkhawk talk

He was added as a playable character to the contest of champions game. Its a bit of a gatcha game but ive managed to be f2p so far.

Hes pretty neat to play with but im also terrible at the game. Theres actually a ton of weird cosmic marvel in that thing. And some immortal hulk.

Wow, Facebook meme groups are incredible!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just finished my first read through of the Born Again arc of Daredevil. It was amazing. the art was really fitting as well. There was a bit too much of a lust to have people killed I thought but it didn't hurt the story. Having Captain America take an interest in who and what Nuke was was a good choice and added a bit to the story overall.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Just finished my first read through of the Born Again arc of Daredevil. It was amazing. the art was really fitting as well. There was a bit too much of a lust to have people killed I thought but it didn't hurt the story. Having Captain America take an interest in who and what Nuke was was a good choice and added a bit to the story overall.

For all of Miller's... everything Born Again is still an amazing and arguably the best Daredevil story and if you called it your favorite comic ever I would only nod with approval.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Did anyone ever mention that Black Cat is a good comic? Just wondering.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I don’t think there is a person alive as interested in Kindred as Nick Spencer is. I genuinely cannot believe this poo poo is still ongoing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nilbop posted:

I don’t think there is a person alive as interested in Kindred as Nick Spencer is. I genuinely cannot believe this poo poo is still ongoing.

Seriously? Really looking forward to the new writers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

At least Knull was cool and good. Kindred just looks stupid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the takes are spicy this morning

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

Did anyone ever mention that Black Cat is a good comic? Just wondering.

Yeah, not only is it goon-made it's genuinely great. Vulpes has a superlative knowledge of Marvel minutiae that extends beyond "googling it."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, not only is it goon-made it's genuinely great. Vulpes has a superlative knowledge of Marvel minutiae that extends beyond "googling it."

I agree. Kudos for the introduction speech of Fury. That was simultaneously cool, menacing and laughably pompous, so it absolutely fits his character. I'm really looking forward to Felicia's interaction with the person at the end there. Does that power count as magic? The cover for the next issue spoils who it is, but it's a really pretty drawing.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

At least Knull was cool and good. Kindred just looks stupid.

I really didn't care for Knull's face, but at least there were some sort of interesting points there. That Knullshit brought a nice Black Cat story, a fun adventure with Tasky and his buddies and some interesting interactions between Gwen Stacy and (her) MJ. Kindred is just so incredibly boring. For a while it was interesting how he stalked Peter and manipulated people, but he really never did anything cool and outstayed his welcome. I did like how he turned the Spider Gang into contorted demons for a while, but that was just a fancy way to take hostages.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, not only is it goon-made
I can't believe no one started the wiki!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i hope vulpes is finally the person that can make star interesting because no one else has, and someone at marvel sure seems to want to make her a thing

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

site posted:

i hope vulpes is finally the person that can make star interesting because no one else has, and someone at marvel sure seems to want to make her a thing

I disagree. She's fun. Awkward millenial geek turned mass murderer turned cosmic super being is quite the charcter arc. Actually, I don't really remember did she kill all those people on fifth avenue, or did Danvers safe them all? Either way, Ripley isn't really averse to killing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
she's just carol danvers only they don't pretend she's a good person, and carol is already a boring character

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Man Beta Ray Bill is so good.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

site posted:

I'm not sure it's Star herself so much as that they seem to have come to the realization they don't have that many plug-and-play villains left in the 616. Most of the long-running antagonists have reformed to some extent, died, and/or have more going on than just knocking over a liquor store from time to time.

Star, on the other hand, can just show up and be a destructive tool with no problems.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well, until nighthawk kills her and takes the gem anyways

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gologle posted:

Man Beta Ray Bill is so good.

this is a true and accurate post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Count me in as someone who also likes Star. I like the juxtaposition of her colourful costume which looks heroic and her being a shithead as a person, but in a way that is oddly relatable at times.