Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hotfix is out. 36mb on Steam, 1gb on everywhere else because MS still needs to discover the magic of delta patching.

quote:

Resolved in this hotfix
Fixed an issue in matchmade Heroic Firefight games that caused the difficulty to be set to Normal.
Fixed an issue with matchmaking that made it harder for players in low population regions to find games.
Fixed an issue with some game variants failing to load when connecting in matchmaking. This mainly happened for Halo: Combat Evolved.
Added a Report Player button to the Player Details page. The rules and processes behind reporting a player are the same as before.

Known issue
The post-game Carnage Report for a matchmade Heroic Firefight Social match says the session was on Normal difficulty, even though it was on Heroic difficulty.
While loading into a matchmade Halo: Combat Evolved game, the loading screen information is sometimes missing or incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mazerunner posted:

you're actually out of the worst of it, the second half starts varying the maps more and bringing in new and multiplayer maps. there's a sequence on the infinity that's pretty ok.

also I had grunt birthday party on, and in one of the in-game cutscenes a marine randomly headshot a grunt, and that brought me much unexpected joy

I think the absolute worst sound change is the sword activation. went from the iconic kssshhhhzztt to a lame passshheeewooot

That's good. I really hope they also stop sounding like COD characters.

So many, "scratch more bad guys!" "more bad guys on the way," "bad guys lighting up the sensors"

Just say Covenant.

Cythereal posted:

And that's Halo: ODST. Fairly short game, and I feel like it badly squandered the premise of playing as normal humans instead of Spartans given that the ODSTs even have totally-not-shields and can hijack vehicles and destroy them by punching, but enjoyable enough.

Picked up a bucket of sub-10% achievements to boot. 1.1% on one of them isn't quite the rarest Steam achievement I've nabbed, but it's a strong second place.

I have the level 3 Rarest Achievement Showcase on Steam and it's all Halo achievements now barring one from SWTOR.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've hit a brick wall in Halo 4: the hangar fight in The Composer. I'm supposed to reach a console at the far end of the hangar bay while dropships continually unload Covenant, including snipers and gold elites. As near as I can tell, they just keep coming without any significant pause until I get the console, and I keep getting shredded by all the elites or nailed by snipers.

Anyone have any advice for this fight?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When you have a window, Cortana or the Doctor yells at you to go for it. If you're trying at that point and still dying, good luck because that part sucks and has terrible checkpointing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shiroc posted:

When you have a window, Cortana or the Doctor yells at you to go for it. If you're trying at that point and still dying, good luck because that part sucks and has terrible checkpointing.

Yup. Usually when they tell me to go for it, I have at least two gold elites and a sniper still hammering at me.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Cythereal posted:

Yup. Usually when they tell me to go for it, I have at least two gold elites and a sniper still hammering at me.

Yeah, that's basically what happened to me when I ran through it last month. After like 10 times the game finally decided to checkpoint towards the end of the fight (instead of the middle of the last loving room) and I was eventually able to do it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I've hit a brick wall in Halo 4: the hangar fight in The Composer. I'm supposed to reach a console at the far end of the hangar bay while dropships continually unload Covenant, including snipers and gold elites. As near as I can tell, they just keep coming without any significant pause until I get the console, and I keep getting shredded by all the elites or nailed by snipers.

Anyone have any advice for this fight?

Restart and when you get to that spot, book it to the console immediately. You can get to it before the covenant get too thick.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Great Beer posted:

Restart and when you get to that spot, book it to the console immediately. You can get to it before the covenant get too thick.

Seconding this. If you grab a decent amount of gear before you dash into the room, you can then fall back through the room as whatever Covenant that manage to get in harass you. Generally Halo actually has very few truly "infinite enemy spawner" moments and I don't know if this is one of them. Usually you can wear down encounters eventually in the same way you can also run past a lot of things that you wouldn't think you could.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The LASO skip probably works fine on Normal if you feel confident doing a lil jump. Right at the start of the video.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I really like Dr. Tillson, one of the better examples of 343's approach to narrative working out nicely. One level of characterization but she's quite charming.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I played a game of firefight recently, my first actually. Well, first since playing ODST a billion years ago.

Anyways we're going along just great and then one of the dudes decides to grab a ghost and just start running me over. Nobody else, just me.

So I died to this dude running me over then I just stayed in areas he couldn't reach so he'd stick me with plasmas or throw grenades at me or whatever. I die 3 times total, never get a prompt to kick him from the game. So, fed up, I decide to stick him with a plasma grenade. I get booted for teamkilling.

In a lot of ways this was the perfect recreation of the Halo experience I guess.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

jokes posted:

In a lot of ways this was the perfect recreation of the Halo experience I guess.

:yeah:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

jokes posted:

I played a game of firefight recently, my first actually. Well, first since playing ODST a billion years ago.

Anyways we're going along just great and then one of the dudes decides to grab a ghost and just start running me over. Nobody else, just me.

So I died to this dude running me over then I just stayed in areas he couldn't reach so he'd stick me with plasmas or throw grenades at me or whatever. I die 3 times total, never get a prompt to kick him from the game. So, fed up, I decide to stick him with a plasma grenade. I get booted for teamkilling.

Firefight treats friendly fire weirdly. If someone is trolling in a vehicle you can plasma nade them and the vehicle will blow up but they'll live. Alternatively, you can keep plasma pistoling or Grenade Launcher EMP blasting them every time they get near. For bonus points do it while the covenant are nearby and they kill them for you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pretty cool how in 4 my wraith can die in 2 glancing blows from another wraith, but theirs will take 5 direct hits, six grenades, four sticky launcher shots, and 500 rounds of combined fire.

Halo 4 sucks and so does this base game mode

e: Reach has also crashed twice on me now so last patch has some issues

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 27, 2021

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Pretty cool how in 4 my wraith can die in 2 glancing blows from another wraith, but theirs will take 5 direct hits, six grenades, four sticky launcher shots, and 500 rounds of combined fire.

Halo 4 sucks and so does this base game mode

e: Reach has also crashed twice on me now so last patch has some issues

lol the Scorpion tank section in 4 on legendary was rough.

although to be fair, on legendary in 2 some ghosts can take 4 shots to put down.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halo 4's ranked playlist is insanely tedious (Friends want the challenge done, halfway there :shepicide:). Then we switched to Reach and our non-party pubbies averaged a total of 4 kills a game. We still won some lmao :negative:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 27, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anyone else make it into Infinite's multi test this weekend?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

i did

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

i did

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Welcome to the bullfrogs

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I did too.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I did, but I'm away this weekend so I'm not going to get much of a chance to play it :(

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
oh poo poo I did too but I won't get much time to play it probably :(

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Was sad all day yesterday because I didn't get in. This morning I realized I was checking the wrong email.

I'm in :coolfish:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I've been invited to every flight for MCC but have been unable to make the last few for reasons. If I don't get into the beta because of this I will be sad.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I forgot to add my dxdiag and probably got skipped because of it. :rip:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxs05bjCzkU

A video on Halo Infinite's technical preview is starting in about ten minutes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got into the Halo Infinite tech preview for this weekend. The e-mail said I can start playing on Friday.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

They let you turn off the generic chatter, blessed be

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
oh I got in neat

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

This stream is moving onto the most important part: pretty space princess simulator!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RBA Starblade posted:

Welcome to the bullfrogs

RBA Starblade was never heard from again, as they immediately jetpacked into a bottomless pit

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
halo infinites not looking bad
needs assassinations though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have they kept clambering in the game or is the grapple hook taking over for advanced movement?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And that's Halo 4 beat, with it the Master Chief Collection. My ranking and general thoughts, from best to worst:

Halo 3: the best music, visuals, and level design of the entire collection, imo. Even if it's wound up looking the most dated (Miranda's model is particularly embarrassing) and everything to do with Cortana is pretty yikes, I felt this was the best all around gameplay experience in the collection and the only one that left me seriously wanting more.

Halo Reach: the one game in the series where you can play as a woman, which counts for a lot with me, and a simple but enjoyable story with what felt like the most variety in gameplay. Also, across the board, the hardest game in the series for me despite having my favorite gun in the whole series in the needle rifle.

Halo ODST: an abject waste of potential, playing as a regular human should have been very different and a game about the battle for Earth shouldn't have been one generic sci-fi city that's most of the time so poorly lit you're required to use night vision. Despite all that, a perfectly fine gameplay experience with a dull but serviceable story that had a few good moments (shame you never got to play as Dare, though).

Halo 2: this game sure did exist. Again, my disappointments stem from a feeling that it could have been so much more. High Charity, the Covenant's capital, was wasted on a string of purple corridors that look very much like every other Covenant ship you board, and the Covenant civil war felt intensely phoned in.

Halo 1: I get why this game was revolutionary for its day, but now it's one identical grey or purple room after another. The outdoor sections were all pretty good, but ye gods Assault on the Control Room, 343 Guilty Spark, and The Library.

Halo 4: This game just felt wrong. The way everything looked and sounded was off, the story was simultaneously insane, stupid, and boring, and Cortana in this game is one of the more embarrassing things I've seen in gaming. All the new guns were boring, and I was expecting more from finally getting to fly a Pelican than a short, dull rehash of the Falcon level from Reach.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I wish infinite didn't have sprint :cheeky:

The gun sounds and sound effects are nice, sound pretty classic halo and also punchy.

The maps look... okay? Not great but not bad?

It seems funny this is like some of the first footage we're seeing of the game and they didn't try to put together a highlight reel its just video of some guy playing slayer and half the time he's just staring at walls.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The new Halo Infinite footage is a massive improvement over the original footage shown in early 2020 where the game looked like Halo 3.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
To be fair, the worst part of it that looked so halo 3 was the brutes, and there's no covenant in this footage.

Doesn't really wow me in any way as a next-gen game, but it looks okay.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, the worst part of it that looked so halo 3 was the brutes, and there's no covenant in this footage.

Doesn't really wow me in any way as a next-gen game, but it looks okay.

That's because it's not a next-gen game. It was developed and announced for the XBone and only later did the decision come to make it cross-gen. Which didn't pan out like Microsoft hoped since it was delayed to well after the new Xboxes release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

OhFunny posted:

That's because it's not a next-gen game. It was developed and announced for the XBone and only later did the decision come to make it cross-gen. Which didn't pan out like Microsoft hoped since it was delayed to well after the new Xboxes release date.

Yeah but it is what it is, they can still make it better given that; especially considering significant release delays. Halo started as an apple strategy game.

I mean you're absolutely correct, but "hey guys this was supposed to be an xbone game" isn't going to sell consumers, they gotta find some way to make it a viable product or give up.

As-is the game looks about the same or even not quite as good as Destiny 2, which... came out 4 years ago.