Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Red Dead 2 was really good about that as well, to the point where you could activate a cinematic camera while on horseback and rely on it not killing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Warbird posted:

Did HZD's PC port ever get to a good place? I remember it having performance problems in a big way for lots of folks. Also, it the moment to moment gameplay actually fun? I'm not knocking the game or folks liking it, but I understand it to be of the Assassin's Creed school of game design and while there isn't anything wrong with that it can get old.

The combat in HZD goes through phases. Very early on it's mainly about hitting weak spots from stealth, which is basic but fun enough. It's not long before bigger dinobots start showing up, and my unpopular opinion is that the game becomes a bit tedious at this point because you have to use elemental weaknesses and effects but your tools are still limited (depending on how you decide to explore the map, you're likely to only have one weapon per element, so anything weak to electricity you have to kill with tripwire, for example). When you start getting better weapons, which can either be an hour into the game or close to the mid point, the combat becomes really fun. You have a lot more options regarding how to deal elemental damage, more options for traps, and that lets you fight the more impressive dinos and the bigger packs. At this point the game really shines because it's pretty good at forcing you to juggle planning, stealth, accuracy, quick reflexes and luck and the end result is a really cool looking fights with tons of explosions, slow motion and pretty colors. With any luck, this part can represent 60% of the game. After a while though, as you get better and fight the same types of robots, and as you get more and better gear, even the hardest fights become easy and rote, and you don't really fight new robots for the rest of the main game.

The DLC is extremely well-balanced for this though, so once you get there the combat gets great again, until you get the best DLC weapons, at which point it gets a bit too easy and rote again.

So, in my opinion, it goes good-meh-great-meh, then great-meh again once you hit the DLC. The great parts can be 60-70% of the game if you get the purple weapons early and don't grind mods, though.

I have to admit I haven't tried the hardest difficulty setting, which probably alleviates the bit about the game being too easy.

Fighting humans is bad and it's the main reason I've never played the game on the hardest setting.

Edit: removed a phrase I just realized I'm not comfortable using anymore. Apologies.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Jul 24, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

CordlessPen posted:

Fighting humans sucks balls and it's the main reason I've never played the game on the hardest setting.

For humans, I always liked the stealth approach. Hide in the grass, call a bandit over to approach, stealth kill. Hide in grass again, wait for the next bandit to come investigate the dead body in front of you. Continue until bandits are gone.

It's so stupid. I love it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just don't get spotted, or you'll die to two arrows in 5 seconds flat

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

It does have a bit of the collectathon aspect of other open world games but fortunately there really isn’t a lot to collect and it’s not really important so you can skip it all if you don’t give a poo poo about that sort of thing

I also want to mention that pretty much each and very collectable has an immediate reward in the form of very compelling tidbits of background information and worldbuilding. It's rarely just "collect X of Y", and when it is it's a small number (like a dozen or so) that do have a cool payoff, like the figurines in the dlc. Some can be a bit of a drag, like the paints iirc, but even those are presented as a cool platforming puzzle. (How the hell do I get up there?) Those are entirely optional, though, and I think marked on your map. (Or you can buy their locations from someone, I think.)

The vast majority are old records, which vary from written texts to hologram recordings, soundbites and a combination of those that tell a lot of different compelling stories. Some are intriguing, some are heartbreaking, some are funny and all are worth it. A large part of the main story is told this way but even a minor sidequest can provide valuable insights into the world and history.

Man, I can't wait for HZD2

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only part of Horizon that was a complete waste of time was that post-game DLC mission where you are asked to kill the final boss again, five more times.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Warbird posted:

Did HZD's PC port ever get to a good place? I remember it having performance problems in a big way for lots of folks. Also, it the moment to moment gameplay actually fun? I'm not knocking the game or folks liking it, but I understand it to be of the Assassin's Creed school of game design and while there isn't anything wrong with that it can get old.

HZD was the reason I bought a ps4, and I feel that it 100% justified that purchase. It's a great game. To address something I dont think the other recommendations touched on, I feel the collectables are very tolerable, for three reasons:

1. There aren't that many of each kind if collectable.
  2. Each collectable is unique - when you're collecting mugs, each mug has a different graphic.
  3. They generally unlock minor story content, and HZDs story is excellent.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RoboRodent posted:

For humans, I always liked the stealth approach. Hide in the grass, call a bandit over to approach, stealth kill. Hide in grass again, wait for the next bandit to come investigate the dead body in front of you. Continue until bandits are gone.

It's so stupid. I love it.

I remember playing a Splinter Cell game and having a situation where I was hanging on a ledge outside a window, and there were a bunch of bad guys scattered throughout the building's interior. I reached through the window, grabbed a guy, and yanked him out. Another guy caught a glimpse of me and came over to investigate, so I grabbed him too. A third guy definitely saw me, so he went over to another window to try to shoot me...I hand-over-handed it to the ledge outside his window and out he went. And so on.

By the end there were probably like 8 or 10 bodies on the ground below, and I hadn't had to fire a single bullet.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I remember playing a Splinter Cell game and having a situation where I was hanging on a ledge outside a window, and there were a bunch of bad guys scattered throughout the building's interior. I reached through the window, grabbed a guy, and yanked him out. Another guy caught a glimpse of me and came over to investigate, so I grabbed him too. A third guy definitely saw me, so he went over to another window to try to shoot me...I hand-over-handed it to the ledge outside his window and out he went. And so on.

By the end there were probably like 8 or 10 bodies on the ground below, and I hadn't had to fire a single bullet.

Yet more proof that video game AI shouldn't necessarily be smart, it just has to be interesting for the player.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That sort of behavior is why I think Watchdogs 1 is better than people give it credit for.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The only part of Horizon that was a complete waste of time was that post-game DLC mission where you are asked to kill the final boss again, five more times.

The Fireclaw was a massive HP sponge and took something like 20 minutes for me to kill on ultra-hard. Saw that quest and immediately noped out of DLC area, I don't need the achievement that much.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The Fireclaw was a massive HP sponge and took something like 20 minutes for me to kill on ultra-hard. Saw that quest and immediately noped out of DLC area, I don't need the achievement that much.

On the plus side, one of the Fireclaw encounters includes two and one is an uncorrupted version, so you can override it and have the two duke it out. But yeah they’re really obnoxious. Freezing them and then blasting them with the strongest arrows you have is really the most efficient strategy even if it takes a lot of loving arrows. They’re not as tough as the actual boss version, at least

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

John Murdoch posted:

That sort of behavior is why I think Watchdogs 1 is better than people give it credit for.

gently caress ubisoft but the "send gang members and cops to the same location" mechanic for making any situation into a dragged out street fight ruled hard. Any game that makes AI capable of turf wars is baller. Mild blowing it's not the complete focus of GTAV tbh

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I have no idea why Watch Dogs 2 had races in them at all because they didn't reward poo poo and weren't the selling-point.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

CordlessPen posted:

It's not long before bigger dinobots start showing up, and my unpopular opinion is that the game becomes a bit tedious at this point because you have to use elemental weaknesses and effects but your tools are still limited (depending on how you decide to explore the map, you're likely to only have one weapon per element, so anything weak to electricity you have to kill with tripwire, for example).

Protip: Freeze is the best element, and even if an enemy has a "weakness" to fire or shock, it's often faster to freeze them and tear them apart with arrows. The only enemies resistant to freeze are the ones that use freeze attacks themselves, which means they have some kind of freeze component that you can shoot to trigger a big freeze blast.

Also the human enemies are dumb and boring and I didn't even respect them enough to stealth kill them most of the time. I just got out the blast sling aka grenade launcher and ended every human encounter with dozens of explosions.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The best thing about HZD was that the DLC area was impossibly gorgeous. I'm glad I played it on my PS5 instead of a base PS4 so that I could get the maxed out graphics. It also had tighter quest design and writing that I liked. I played it about 60% of the way through the main game so it was kind of a bummer to go back to the main zones that weren't as interesting.

I hope the sequel can mainly be at the level of the DLC.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Triarii posted:

Protip: Freeze is the best element, and even if an enemy has a "weakness" to fire or shock, it's often faster to freeze them and tear them apart with arrows. The only enemies resistant to freeze are the ones that use freeze attacks themselves, which means they have some kind of freeze component that you can shoot to trigger a big freeze blast.

Also the human enemies are dumb and boring and I didn't even respect them enough to stealth kill them most of the time. I just got out the blast sling aka grenade launcher and ended every human encounter with dozens of explosions.

Fire is good on anything with Blaze canisters. Setting those off really fucks up the robo gators

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I have no idea why Watch Dogs 2 had races in them at all because they didn't reward poo poo and weren't the selling-point.

It's almost certainly because it's dirt cheap/dead simple to slap together checkpoint races. WD1 was even worse with its dumb foot races.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I remember people being so confused about riding Agro in Shadow of the Colossus, because they never picked up that you're really not controlling her, but rather still controlling Wander on the reins. She 'autosteers' as well, and you'll do much better just controlling to turn her in the right general direction and then letting the autopathing dodge obstacles.

I'll be honest, I don't like this in SotC/BotW/etc. It's impressive from a programmed naturalism perspective, but that's not what I want in games. I want horses to be simple vehicles, just direct movement control that's faster than my character on foot.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'll be honest, I don't like this in SotC/BotW/etc. It's impressive from a programmed naturalism perspective, but that's not what I want in games. I want horses to be simple vehicles, just direct movement control that's faster than my character on foot.

You aren't alone on this at least, it might be more realistic but it just ends up being irritating when you are trying to get somewhere and they won't cooperate right. Doesnt make me feel more attached to the horse, just annoyed and honestly less immersed.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The Metro series follows the character Artyom, and by Metro Exodus he and his wife Anna have joined a tight-knit group called the Spartan Rangers. Near the start of the game, him and Anna are secretly investigating a group the Rangers are supposed to be allied with and get cutscene-captured, but then the ones that capture them bring in the rest of the Rangers to deal with the prisoners. What I really liked was that the Rangers didn't even hesitate, Anna doesn't even get all the way through the phrase "guys it's us" before they're pulling guns and rescuing Artyom and Anna. No "what the hell, what are you doing here, why are you holding our friends prisoner, you better have a good explanation for this", just instant action. It was a really nice moment that established that these guys were your ride-or-die bros.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I can't tell if you mean that you did it... Or that you let the killer accomplish their goal, but she doesn't have to even die by your hand!

I meant I did it, it didn't even occur to me to let the killer do my job. Now I want to go back through levels and see how many let me commit assassination by proxy.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I ride a horse if I want to chill out and see the landscape, I ride the motorcycle if I just wanna get from point A to point B.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crowetron posted:

I meant I did it, it didn't even occur to me to let the killer do my job. Now I want to go back through levels and see how many let me commit assassination by proxy.

Probably the most obvious case is in Hitman 2 in the Mumbai stage, where another assassin has been hired by one of your targets to kill the other two. Though they're not very good at their job despite having a fuckoff sniper rifle, so you just have to adjust his scope properly and set up opportunities for him. And then you can mug him for his disguise to meet the elusive third target in person...

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

YggiDee posted:

I ride a horse if I want to chill out and see the landscape, I ride the motorcycle if I just wanna do a sick-rear end Akira slide

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Captain Hygiene posted:

You just hold X or whatever to go and hold left or right to turn. It’s not very hard

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

horses are the original third party controller

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My favorite little thing is that there is no colon in the official title of Horizon Zero Dawn yet there is in Monster Hunter: World.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
GG Strive:\

In typical anime fighter fashion, there’s a lot of shouting the names of supers.

I play Leo, he has a flash kick analog. If you use it to end a match, the bark changes to a long, victorious version. Makes you feel like a badass when you kill with it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RoboRodent posted:

I'm glad the sequel is going to be on ps4 too, though.

Especially since we've yet to see some concrete evidence that the ps5 even exists.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Death's Door has stats that you can upgrade in exchange for in game currency, it also lets you grind this currency by killing enemies that respawn, and it also has achievements. However, it does not have an achievement for fully upgrading all of your stats. Good call, Death's Door developers.

(don't grind enemies for exp in Death's Door)

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Jul 25, 2021

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I like the horses in BotW because it's a different way to interact with the world instead of just "go faster." Especially with the teleport saddle, which should be a base game feature, horses became my tool for when I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and just wanted to check out somewhere else. Slap a sensor on for rare minerals or whatever and just mosey for a while, appreciating the scenery and going to check out stuff that looks interesting. If I want to get somewhere else in a hurry, I can teleport. If I want to go in depth, I do it on foot and with glider jumps off of big cliffs. But just wanna enjoy the world? I use a horse for that.

What I'd want to see in the sequel is more effort in horse combat. Charging in on a Guardian with a lance feels cool as hell, and when you can pull it off, wheeling for another charge, it feels badass. But it's finicky a lot of times and it's a lot easier to do stuff on foot once you have a good stock of guardian weapons or other overpowered options.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Azbu: There are many ocean friends you can swim with.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The teleport saddle at least I suppose gives you a reason to use any horse other than the Giant Horse.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You should have five horses at all times. A fast horse to outrun the Lynel you pissed off, an all-rounder to explore with, the Giant Horse to function as a living tank, the White Horse so Zelda has something to ride, and one gentle horse with a flower mane because it's good to have one animal that isn't an rear end in a top hat.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

YggiDee posted:

and one gentle horse with a flower mane because it's good to have one animal that isn't an rear end in a top hat.

Wait that isn't the one Zelda rides?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Zelda has the White Horse in cutscenes, and it's a 'wild' personality type.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I can't tell if you mean that you did it... Or that you let the killer accomplish their goal, but she doesn't have to even die by your hand!

I told the woman a lie about who killed her brother. Decided to explore the level a bit for challenges before finishing her off. Then as I was poking around the room where the family members had congregated, I saw her take a sip of some wine that I had not touched and she keeled over dead. Mission accomplished. Was confused as hell for a bit before I realized what had happened.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I decided to boot up that Horizon: Zero Recollection game game y’all are talking about, and I think I’ve seen it mentioned before but it’s a really cute detail that the grass you use for cover is tipped red like the protagonists hair so it makes a lot of sense why dumb robo dinos can’t see her.

Also I remember some controversy about Aloy looking ugly and she seems like a normal pretty woman to me so idk what the gently caress is up with that but this game seems cool so far about an hour in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Last Celebration posted:

Also I remember some controversy about Aloy looking ugly and she seems like a normal pretty woman to me so idk what the gently caress is up with that but this game seems cool so far about an hour in!

Someone on reddit used a snapchat filter on Aloy as a joke to make her "pretty", some incel on twitter found it, didn't realize it was made as a joke specifically mocking people like him, and posted how it was unironically better and more appealing because she looked more "feminine" like a video game girl should look, and got rightly ripped for it