Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Communist Thoughts posted:

The end times retcons it so that grimgor headbutts archeon but it only breaks his favourite helmet gem and that upsets archeon so much he has to use his True Power and kills grimgor with his daemon sword

It's very lame

Archaon sucks

Hell yeah best snipe ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just finished my first run with the new patch with Thorek, an end game quarreller and grudge thrower stack is a thing of beauty, and pretty cheap as well. The other great thing about Thorek's campaign is that I was able to become friends with many lizard boys and got a lot of artifacts for free.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Was that before or after Gringor got reincarnated as the avatar of beasts?

After he became an incarnate.

Grimgor basically went on a super rampage and beat up all neighbouring orcs, the hobgoblin clans and then killed the supreme leader of the ogres (so they all joined Grimgors Waaagh because they thought he was the avatar of the great maw). Then he invaded and dunked on Not-China (Cathay) before turning around and annihilating the Chaos Dwarves. Then his super-waagh got teleported to the supreme clusterfuck climax of the endtimes apocalypse... where he faced Archaon and his bodyguard AND his big scary mount but he dunked on them all and headbutted Archaon so hard he shattered one of the great chaos treasures, the "eye of sheeria" helmet. Archaon felt such desperation during the fight that he had to summon up chaos bullshit magic to wreck Grimgor because he knew he wouldn't be able to beat him otherwise.

Basically though, they used the orcs during the endtimes to mop up less popular races and gave Grimgor a few seconds in the spotlight against Archaon but that was it. The End Times was more of a human, undead and chaos affair than anything else

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah the undead got a lot of screentime and, shockingly, got off pretty light compared to some other factions whose characters and lore got butchered

Someone in the studio really likes them

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Riatsala posted:

Overall I rather like playing AoS, but nuking the setting of WFB and replacing a mapped-out, structured and deeply-lored world with the vague nonsense that followed was a terrible idea. That was fuckin' *dumb* in and of itself, but the timing was also immensely stupid. Think of how many people played either of the Total War games or Vermintide and thought "Wow, this setting is really interesting, I wonder what the tabletop game is like?" and discovering that it no longer existed because the "nebulous plane of ethereal bullshit" seemed like a worthy successor.

Stormcast Eternals getting the big push right out the gate when they were at their peak of clearly being an attempt to make fantasy space marines, and with the default colour scheme looking worse than any other colour scheme that I've seen was another misstep.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We are getting more Old World info that looks interesting.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
After winning a Thorek Vortex campaign, I tried the Imrik ME start again, abandoning my starting settlement(s) to start over from Caledor. Worked pretty well, even though you get a bit behind. Strangely, Saphery is my capital, not that it makes that much of a difference. I just wish you could designate your racial capital as your capital if you have it (Altdorf as the Golden Order for example, Naggarond for the Cult of Pleasure, Couronne for Chevaliers the Lyonesse, etc.). And I really wish you could designate your "original" capital as your capital if you start away from it, so Saphery as Teclis, Pahaux as Oxyotl, Karond Kar as Lokhir, and so on.

Also I'm just wondering, is a fully upgraded Imrik who has fulfilled all the dragon missions is the most powerful combat lord in the game? Can your LL get even more OP in other campaigns?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Torrannor posted:

After winning a Thorek Vortex campaign, I tried the Imrik ME start again, abandoning my starting settlement(s) to start over from Caledor. Worked pretty well, even though you get a bit behind. Strangely, Saphery is my capital, not that it makes that much of a difference. I just wish you could designate your racial capital as your capital if you have it (Altdorf as the Golden Order for example, Naggarond for the Cult of Pleasure, Couronne for Chevaliers the Lyonesse, etc.). And I really wish you could designate your "original" capital as your capital if you start away from it, so Saphery as Teclis, Pahaux as Oxyotl, Karond Kar as Lokhir, and so on.

There is this mod that moves faction capitals to their loreful location once captured for that, though it isn't quite picking your own

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Tehan posted:

and to make matters even worse the rules they gave for people to be able to play the old army lists in Age of Sigmar involved cringy poo poo like "neigh like a horse for +1 strength bonus on the charge!"

what the gently caress, is this really real??? if you neighed REALLY enthusiastically did you get +2 str? where can i find more about this?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Decided to give Cult of Sotek another go to see if I could actually find these mythical "useful followers" from his pyramid gambling.
First 4 pulls:
3x

1x

Some amazing stuff right here, let me tell you.

Edit: Tried another one, another Swamp Trawler.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 25, 2021

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Muscle Tracer posted:

what the gently caress, is this really real??? if you neighed REALLY enthusiastically did you get +2 str? where can i find more about this?

quote:

The Mad Count: Marius Leitdorf is an exceptional swordsman, even if he is totally insane. If, during your hero phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland Runefang until your next hero phase. If you actually talk to your imaginary horse you can re-roll failed wound rolls as well.

There was a whole bunch of these initially, though they've been I think entirely removed from the game at this point.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/8-ridiculous-rules-from-the-new-warhammer-age-of-sigmar/

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The one I remember is that there was a skaven ability that meant you won if you rolled 13 with 2d6 and that there was some way to use another ability so that you could actually get a 13 and win instantly.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah that stuff was excised from the game a while ago. I think the only thing that remains is a spell where you hide a die in one hand and have your opponent pick which hand its in to determine whether a unit gets deleted or not but I only dimly remember it and everyone just flipped a coin because it was the exact same thing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did they change the Great Skaven War for Cult of Soteks campaign to trigger on the completion of the first step of the prophecy? Could have sworn it only triggered after the 2nd step before.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Age of Sigmar also didn't have a real framework for competitive upon release. The idea was "you'll put your squad or two of models on the table and your opponent will do the same then you'll talk over having a roughly even match." I understand that's since changed. But it seemed pretty clear to me that the goals for AoS initially were to sell the $120 kit of a named character and a few kits to give them a squad to work with, along with making Space Marine players take a look at the game because you could almost kitbash to the new faction with extra sprues you had lying around.

in TWW news, I'm deeply upset that the beastmen are so fun to play now because my achievement for winning on VH/L with them is being devalued, lol.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

There is this mod that moves faction capitals to their loreful location once captured for that, though it isn't quite picking your own

or just start in Caledor bro!

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

It remains Weird and Bad that Volkmar needs to go to war with Kislev for an item, and that Franz has 2 unique quest weapons.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

KillerQueen posted:

It remains Weird and Bad that Volkmar needs to go to war with Kislev for an item, and that Franz has 2 unique quest weapons.

His original model had him dual wielding them like a loving boss on top of Deathclaw.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

His original model had him dual wielding them like a loving boss on top of Deathclaw.

See that'd be Cool and Good, they should do that somehow

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Broken Cog posted:

Decided to give Cult of Sotek another go to see if I could actually find these mythical "useful followers" from his pyramid gambling.
First 4 pulls:
3x

1x

Some amazing stuff right here, let me tell you.

Edit: Tried another one, another Swamp Trawler.

+5% casualty replenishment is great though??

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

yeah I was like yeah that swamp thing is a keeper but the other one is just like a different lizard follower but maybe that one can go on more than casters and if so hell yes

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Had fun on my Imrik campaign in the early-mid game (as it tends to go). Hell of a fight surviving and getting into a stable position. Now however I'm facing endless Grimgor stacks of Black Orcs while I can still only afford my one stack of dragons, so... that's about it. The only thing I could do is keep picking them off with Imrik while I wait a hundred turns for Tyrion to conquer the world.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Iron Rose posted:

Lizards have like 4 different followers that all give +5% replenishment rate, and they're all super common, so yeah.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I found Imrik very fun and easy to trounce the poo poo out of the badlands. Maybe you need to consolidate, and just put up walls? Elf garrisons rule against Greenskins. All garrisons do really.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

jokes posted:

I found Imrik very fun and easy to trounce the poo poo out of the badlands. Maybe you need to consolidate, and just put up walls? Elf garrisons rule against Greenskins. All garrisons do really.
Yes, I think I could survive forever this way, but there's not much else to do at this point. I can't actually strike back so all I would be doing is sitting behind walls for hours and hours until someone else goes and smacks Grimgor.

e: The turn times in late game ME are really demoralizing too. Think I'm gonna go back to Vortex, they're long enough there.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 25, 2021

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

Just finished my first run with the new patch with Thorek, an end game quarreller and grudge thrower stack is a thing of beauty, and pretty cheap as well. The other great thing about Thorek's campaign is that I was able to become friends with many lizard boys and got a lot of artifacts for free.

I was friends with all the lizards but didn't realize that allying would give you the artifacts so eventually went and killed them all whoops~

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ambush an orc stack and then move a little and ambush an orc stack every turn until you can raze black crag. Who cares if they take some of your settlements, just run riot looting and razing poo poo. Sometimes it's worth the trade since the AI will suffer terribly against your walled settlements while you're out there demolishing their entire economy with dragons.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

LimburgLimbo posted:

I was friends with all the lizards but didn't realize that allying would give you the artifacts so eventually went and killed them all whoops~

Only works with full militar alliances btw, not defensive alliances. Thank god I read a comment in youtube mentioning this because it saved me a lot of time.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zzulu posted:

After he became an incarnate.

Grimgor basically went on a super rampage and beat up all neighbouring orcs, the hobgoblin clans and then killed the supreme leader of the ogres (so they all joined Grimgors Waaagh because they thought he was the avatar of the great maw). Then he invaded and dunked on Not-China (Cathay) before turning around and annihilating the Chaos Dwarves. Then his super-waagh got teleported to the supreme clusterfuck climax of the endtimes apocalypse... where he faced Archaon and his bodyguard AND his big scary mount but he dunked on them all and headbutted Archaon so hard he shattered one of the great chaos treasures, the "eye of sheeria" helmet. Archaon felt such desperation during the fight that he had to summon up chaos bullshit magic to wreck Grimgor because he knew he wouldn't be able to beat him otherwise.

Basically though, they used the orcs during the endtimes to mop up less popular races and gave Grimgor a few seconds in the spotlight against Archaon but that was it. The End Times was more of a human, undead and chaos affair than anything else

I can't believe they killed this million dollar franchise that's still growing in popularity with writing that seems pulled from a 15 year olds devianart account.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Mans posted:

I can't believe they killed this million dollar franchise that's still growing in popularity with writing that seems pulled from a 15 year olds devianart account.

Not to be too cynical but bad writing isn't exactly an outlier in fantasy/sci-fi media :v:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mans posted:

GW's writing quality has always been "not great". On the whole, End Times honestly isn't that much of an outlier.

And honestly it wasn't a million dollar franchise. Warhammer Fantasy was doing badly back in 2014. Without good games like Total War, WFB probably would only have been remembered by the grogiest of grognards by now.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

yeah personally I was only ever interested in these settings because of the videogames. Dawn of War got me in in the first place, I've played a bunch of other, much worse 40k games, and then Total Warhammer 2 got me both into the Fantasy setting and the Total War franchise. Even as a trading card game player back in the day, tabletop was a bridge to far for my interest.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Ditto, I actually enjoy reading the 40k wiki, I like the world building. But I’d never get into the tabletop game, the last thing I need in my life is more plastic crap.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Archaon sucks

Hell yeah best snipe ever

Who do fans think sucks more: Archaon or Abaddon the Despoiler?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like to paint models and all I ever bought for WHFB were some dwarfs and wood elves.

Meanwhile I've bought loads of random AOS models to paint and have a pretty big kharadron army now. The WHFB range never felt that exciting models wise and also had an insane $ barrier to entry if you wanted an army. I'm kind of glad they murdered it as a model range now because the newer AOS minis are great.

I'm also glad they make a TW fantasy game because I get the best aspects of both settings.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

William Bear posted:

Who do fans think sucks more: Archaon or Abaddon the Despoiler?

Abaddon gets made fun of more but at least there is more to his character than edgy atheism.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Abaddon has no arms.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Riatsala posted:

I've done a lot of 40k and AOS on TTS and I agree that it can feel like a bit of a mess. AOS is also not very well balanced between the armies, to the point that you really have to agree to take armies of a similar tier or it can be a total blowout. The simplified stat lines and alternating unit activations are very nice, though. As a random aside if you're using battlescribe to make your army lists, you should totally use my friend's utility: https://battlescribe2tts.net/

It might not surprise you to know that the TTS AOS model line is much more complete because they have Warhammer Total War to rip models from. For 40k you have less to work with; mostly the aged Dawn of War series.

Overall I rather like playing AoS, but nuking the setting of WFB and replacing a mapped-out, structured and deeply-lored world with the vague nonsense that followed was a terrible idea. That was fuckin' *dumb* in and of itself, but the timing was also immensely stupid. Think of how many people played either of the Total War games or Vermintide and thought "Wow, this setting is really interesting, I wonder what the tabletop game is like?" and discovering that it no longer existed because the "nebulous plane of ethereal bullshit" seemed like a worthy successor.

Battlescribe to tabletop sim is an amazing app and tell your friend it edges TTS into superior to tabletop imo

All the AoS models I'm using are actual scans of the GW models, as opposed to 40k which are mostly DoW models yeah

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I have now gotten that swamp trawler +5% casualty replenishment rate skink from 12 out of 15 follower gambles in my Tehenahuin campaign. Great faction mechanics, this.

Though tbf, I did get this from a banner pull:

which is kinda extremely insane, especially with how many models you get in each skink unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Archaon’s issue is most of his interesting characterisation happens in his backstory. Because he actually hates the Chaos Gods and is only trying to destroy the world because he believes there’s no other way to escape being their plaything.

Basically his whole deal was that there was a prophecy about a child of the North and South being the Everchosen to end the world. Archaon was a Knight of the Empire, and learnt of this prophecy because he got attacked by a priest or something. So he went to learn what the exact details were, which when he got there he was told by the priests that he was the Everchosen in the Prophecy and when he asked how they knew they said because he came to find out.

He spends a long rear end time trying to fight this prophecy, only for every step to be tricked and trapped by the Chaos Gods into following it, until eventually he reaches nihilistic levels of gently caress my life and decides to destroy the world to free it from the machinations of divinities.

But he still holds no love for the Chaos Gods, and in part his motivation is to take away their favourite toys.

Abaddon’s issue is he’s a chronic failure who hosed up every Black Crusade he led (he has not led all 13, and I believe the new lore states that he only led the 13th but before it was like 10 of them led by him and all failed). Plus he’s not Horus, the Arch-traitor, he’s just Horus’s right hand man who claims the position at the top by effectively nepotism.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 25, 2021