Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the original siren is unforgettable

imagine me saying that with completely flat affect and a thousand-yard stare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I really liked the Siren remake for ps3. Its really flawed but the graphical update was great. Seeing the most memorable scenes like the shibito family in "HD" was great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried to play the Siren remake last year after I finished the original and whatever combination of motion blur and film grain effect they used made it impossible to tell what was going on at any time on my TV.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I kinda find the Siren remake worse just because of the changes to the sightjacking making it really disorienting and dropping the PS3 framerate to single digits. In some ways it plays worse than the original.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'm playing Stories Untold and Observation again this weekend. Not what you would call classic horror per say, but both games know how to make you feel 'off' while being really interesting and I love it.

Looks like the devs are working on an unannounced project, that'll be cool!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Morpheus posted:

Crushed a former crewmate's head under his steel boot

"You're not yourself when you're hungry!

*snickers*"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wafhDIMU6w

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I'm playing Stories Untold and Observation again this weekend. Not what you would call classic horror per say, but both games know how to make you feel 'off' while being really interesting and I love it.

Looks like the devs are working on an unannounced project, that'll be cool!

The first part of Stories Untold had me alt-tabbing to look up whether there were jump scares. Very effective.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Stories Untold is great but boy do they not stick the landing at the end. When you're in it, it's great, but when they got to That Plot again, I was seriously bummed. Really liked the text adventure and object surgery, but the signal transmission was just a biiit too esoteric for its own good. Observation I found pretty terrible throughout, unfortunately. Hopefully they can get past the sophomore slump, I would still take three Stories Untold over one The Medium.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 24, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I want another Obra Dinn where you see some bad poo poo go down, and there's no big twist at the end that tries be clever or invalidates the whole experience.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I kinda find the Siren remake worse just because of the changes to the sightjacking making it really disorienting and dropping the PS3 framerate to single digits. In some ways it plays worse than the original.

Yeah, the original one is the correct one to play.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Is the one on PsNow the remake that's bad? I see that and also Siren: Blood...Curse or something and I dunno what the diff is.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

al-azad posted:

The remaster of Zombies Ate My Neighbors reignited my love of comedy horror which we just don't see a lot of. I'm not even talking about an MST3K style parody but something like Slither in video game form would be wonderful.

ILLBLEED

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Morpheus posted:

Is the one on PsNow the remake that's bad? I see that and also Siren: Blood...Curse or something and I dunno what the diff is.

Blood Curse is the remake.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So I watched IGP play some of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAD_n9Q-QLs I didn't see it checking back a few pages so I thought I'd post.

Yeah it's an amnesia-like/silent hill-looking game and relies kinda heavily on LOUD poo poo but at least it's an interesting setting plus a one-man dev team.

I am an extreme weenie about horror sound design even more than the visuals and this is pretty good if mixed a little high.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Morpheus posted:

The one titled Siren is the original running in an emulator that HDifies the game and adds trophy support. Blood Curse is the remake. I actually think Siren 2 is the best of the three games but it was never released in the US, only Japan and Europe.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Pope Guilty posted:

The first part of Stories Untold had me alt-tabbing to look up whether there were jump scares. Very effective.

Out of curiosity, does it?

LegionAreI posted:

Trenches game

I saw this thumbnail the other day, and assumed it was this long-since-forgotten game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIoPwfd_z_I

...Except it's apparently something different, but this one ALSO just finally popped back up again a couple weeks ago. Weird!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcCIPvCdD70

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Read After Burning posted:

Out of curiosity, does it?

Nope! Creepy things happen, but they want to unnerve you, not startle you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bogart posted:

Stories Untold is great but boy do they not stick the landing at the end. When you're in it, it's great, but when they got to That Plot again, I was seriously bummed. Really liked the text adventure and object surgery, but the signal transmission was just a biiit too esoteric for its own good. Observation I found pretty terrible throughout, unfortunately. Hopefully they can get past the sophomore slump, I would still take three Stories Untold over one The Medium.

Stories Untold was a great anthology and really could have been the kind of thing that indie horror really needs: short, self contained horror that ends with a "wow wasn't that hosed up, anyways I'm Rod Sterling". But, as you said, they needed the overarching plot for some reason, maybe for Game Theory types.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I had only glanced at Stories Untold before, but the talk of it in this thread got me to add it to my PS4 wishlist, so thanks!

Also:

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1420353341821968390

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Replayed through Dead Space 2 again after picking it up after the summer sale and man stabbing yourself in the eye is legit still so extremely disturbing every time.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

Stories Untold was a great anthology and really could have been the kind of thing that indie horror really needs: short, self contained horror that ends with a "wow wasn't that hosed up, anyways I'm Rod Sterling". But, as you said, they needed the overarching plot for some reason, maybe for Game Theory types.

As much as I'm a fan, yeah I did not care for the overarching story. Then again, seeing the writing on the wall in act 4 and typing no, stop. don't, etc to no avail did feel like it hit its mark.

I'm just a total slut for atmosphere and God does that game nail it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Between Stories Untold and Night in the Woods I feel like I've seen enough "your character is about to make a very bad decision and you can't make them stop" for awhile.

(Stories Untold having your parents pressure you into it was extra oof.)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Between Stories Untold and Night in the Woods I feel like I've seen enough "your character is about to make a very bad decision and you can't make them stop" for awhile.

(Stories Untold having your parents pressure you into it was extra oof.)

Imo NITW gets away with it more because Mae is a far better developed character. She does stupid, dangerous stuff because she's a kid with a whole bundle of issues, versus SU where you make the bad decisions immediately after being given a character to play as.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I had only glanced at Stories Untold before, but the talk of it in this thread got me to add it to my PS4 wishlist, so thanks!

Also:

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1420353341821968390

Huh...I might actually want to get this, even though I played it via homebrew many years ago. Maybe I'm just in the mood for a fatal frame game.

Really though they should just remaster/remake the first three games.

Edit: wait they released this in the west? I must be thinking of the previous game, in that case.

Double edit: Yeah, that was the Wii one I'm thinking of. The one with the last boss that was...not great.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 29, 2021

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fatal Frame on PC makes me happy. I never actually played this one so hopefully it's not terrible! :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's okay, the only thing I didnt really like about it was the mission based structure instead of the usual exploring a cohesive area you slowly unlock (think Liugi's Mansion 2 compared to the first one) and theres not much survival element because you get so many items, I think I finished the game with like 50+ healing items and that was without buying any like you can. But it's still pretty spooky and the ghost shooting stuff fairly fun. It'll be nice to play without my dodgy WiiU controller losing signal every five seconds lol

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Sakurazuka posted:

It's okay, the only thing I didnt really like about it was the mission based structure instead of the usual exploring a cohesive area you slowly unlock (think Liugi's Mansion 2 compared to the first one)

Well drat :(

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

It's okay, the only thing I didnt really like about it was the mission based structure instead of the usual exploring a cohesive area you slowly unlock (think Liugi's Mansion 2 compared to the first one)

Oh, BOO. That's incredibly lame.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

It's okay, the only thing I didnt really like about it was the mission based structure instead of the usual exploring a cohesive area you slowly unlock

Man I had to look this up, I completely forgot the different structure of the game. I had to look up a let's play as a reminder for it. Its weird, since it also does stuff like mark what difficulty you did it at and the score you got for it, which is great for people who want to get everything without having to replay the game over and over again, but...yeah. Though it's less like a 'mission' structure and more like the game asking you which chapter of the game you'd like to play every time you leave your home. Its not like

Mission 1: Capture 4 ghosts!
Mission 2: Find the haunted urn
Mission 3: Find Yukiko in the time limit

Though it really does hammer home the 'why the gently caress do you keep going back to the haunted mountain full of ghosts that can kill you???' questions that my friends and I kept telling at the screen. Like, the first two games had characters stuck where they were, the third game had a home.base but the person was forced to return to the dream world every night, the fourth was....uh, a hospital or something I dunno. But in this one they keep making the conscious choice to leave their place of relative safety to return to hell mountain.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Morpheus posted:

the third game had a home.base but the person was forced to return to the dream world every night

For folks that have played both, were y'all more creeped out by the apartment in Silent Hill 4, or the apartment in Fatal Frame 3? For me, it was the latter, but I'm curious if folks feel otherwise.

The doll's hair growing... :stonk:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

For folks that have played both, were y'all more creeped out by the apartment in Silent Hill 4, or the apartment in Fatal Frame 3? For me, it was the latter, but I'm curious if folks feel otherwise.

The doll's hair growing... :stonk:

Hmm, probably Silent Hill 4 - the apartment in FF3 had more of a reprieve between locations, where your you can talk to people and get photos developed and stuff. SH4's place felt more like a prison, an unnatural location that just resembled where you live.

Of course both places get creepier over time (and SH4's place gets actually hostile, forget if FF3 place does) but since SH4 puts you in first person and removes almost all your tools for fighting back, it's easy to feel even more helpless.

Then, of course, opening the locked door and seeing what's outside is one of my favourite singular moments in games, it just absolutely nails that feeling of utter helplessness.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It wasn't a single apartment but I really liked how Trilby's Notes handled the horror shifts. The main world was my safe haven away from all of the creepy poo poo and I found myself popping pills all the time when I didn't need to be in the other world and then the hallucinations started kicking in and I found myself staying in the other world because of how scary the normal world had gotten.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm happy that Game Grumps is doing a playthrough of the Doki Doki Literature Club dlc. Playing the game the first time left me feeling pretty hollow and uneasy for days and their playthrough of the base game was definitely the thing I needed to balance out feeling morose with their dumbass humor.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I thought this was amusing: So we've all seen the mobile game ads where a match 3 candy crush clone markets itself as some weird rod-pulling logic puzzle.

Evertale, which is a generic gacha rpg, has gone full court press depicting itself as a pokemon creepypasta horror game

(On mobile so this was the best video I could find)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ZE0SeAtfg

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm happy that Game Grumps is doing a playthrough of the Doki Doki Literature Club dlc. Playing the game the first time left me feeling pretty hollow and uneasy for days and their playthrough of the base game was definitely the thing I needed to balance out feeling morose with their dumbass humor.

Yeah I definitely was going to end up watching it on YouTube to see the extra stuff. I like the game, but I already played it, and also already bought it since I shelled out cash for the supporter pack. Buying it again for a little extra content is serious Born From A Wish energy.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The Chad Jihad posted:

I thought this was amusing: So we've all seen the mobile game ads where a match 3 candy crush clone markets itself as some weird rod-pulling logic puzzle.

Evertale, which is a generic gacha rpg, has gone full court press depicting itself as a pokemon creepypasta horror game

This is amazing (and by that I mean horrible) and should not be missed. I'm gonna show this to my partner later tonight.

Stealing art from Pokemon was very obvious, but looks like they stole from Omori too!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm running through different scenarios trying to get the 100% achievement, and even though I've seen the other weird poo poo the game has to offer, last night I just saw Natsuki's "PLAY WITH ME" scene and it made me jump.

Her glitched-out portrait zooming towards the screen.... :stonk:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

This is amazing (and by that I mean horrible) and should not be missed. I'm gonna show this to my partner later tonight.

Stealing art from Pokemon was very obvious, but looks like they stole from Omori too!

I'm running through different scenarios trying to get the 100% achievement, and even though I've seen the other weird poo poo the game has to offer, last night I just saw Natsuki's "PLAY WITH ME" scene and it made me jump.

Her glitched-out portrait zooming towards the screen.... :stonk:

That scene happens in their original play through and their reactions are amazing.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I've realized while playing horror visual novels like DDLC or Higurashi....subtle (or sudden) character portrait changes in a VN are such a great (if easy!) scare tactic, at least for me. You've spent hours staring at the same portrait of "happy anime girl! Slightly frowny anime boy!" that when suddenly that familiar portrait gets a psycho grin or crazy eyes, it's genuinely startling.

My partner doesn't play visual novels and I've played a ton, so it's been hard to talk about DDLC with him, since he doesn't understand most of the tropes, much less which are being subverted. :P Although I did show him the start screen and song glitching out after Sayori's suicide and he said that was pretty cool.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
DDLC starts by presenting the tropes well enough at the start that you can recognize their subversion imo. Certainly by Sayonara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

It gets more disgusting than that, one of the ads they used straight up stole assets from the HPS1 demo disc game WALK that went viral in Japan. If they’re just lifting seiken densetsu and Pokémon art then someone should bring it up with square and Nintendo although I don’t know what they could do beyond taking the ads down since the game itself is a completely different beast.