Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

BC is probably going to be ok as we have a really good vaccine uptake and eventually it's gonna burn through all the idiot anti-vaxxers, I dunno if AB Vax numbers are as good

I got to scream at an anti vax parade today, that was carthatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Looking forward to the Pallister government again not learning from what's happening in other provinces. I fully expect a repeal of the mask mandate within the next couple of weeks.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Smallbusinesses.txt

[

At last the comments is everyone clowning on them

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

There's a labour shortage because swaths of workers have switched to only fans and are making more than they ever imagined

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Capital Letdown posted:

In terms of sending money, here are a few different things off the top of my head, which may or may not sit right with anyone based on their politics:

Keeping Six - https://keepingsix.org/ - This is the group that's actually responsible for getting the encampment injunction in place, which probably has done a lot to prevent scenarios like Toronto. They do harm reduction, peer counselling, and I believe they have a few doctors on staff / at least they are very close with the shelter health network. Donating to them would probably go towards things like phones, occasionallytents, etc. for people in encampments, or even towards paying a little bit to people with lived experience who are doing peer support. They've caused a few battles with the city and HPS here and there but they're good people.

Hamilton Encampment Support Network - https://hesn.ca/ - This is a younger group largely led by the same group behind DefundHPS. TBH I'm not sure if they're actually registered as a non profit in order to give tax receipts if you donate or if they're much more fringe than that. They are pretty online, they hate cops, and they're angry about housing - they will deliver harm reduction supplies, tents, water, food, naloxone to people who need it. They don't super play nice with lots of the other orgs, think Hamilton's encampment policy is effectively the same as Toronto's, and if clean ups or cops do happen, they're always there filming and documenting it. They make a lot of people nervous but I think they're alright - they're just pretty mad and online, yknow?

Aids Network / The Van - https://aidsnetwork.ca/the-van/ - The van is a service anyone can text or call and just say like 'hey we need safe use supplies at x park' and they'll just text back 'be there in 30 mins' like no questions asked. They're awesome, they also partner up with an outreach group run through public health / ADGS. It's the aids network, so they're far more established than HESN or K6.

HRIC Outreach Van - I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't find a direct link to this one in 20 seconds of googling and I'm off today so I'm not lookin at my work phone. These guys run a route every day that basically starts in the west end in the afternoon, goes up the mountain, finishes in the east end. They have soup, sandwiches, first aid supplies, coffee, stuff like that. Super good dudes.
EDIT: Felt racist that I was lazy about only this one so I found it. http://www.hric.ca/programs.php It doesn't look like they've updated their website to reflect the outreach van, but this is the org that does it.

I wouldn't really worry about donating to any of the bigger orgs like say, Good Shepherd, Mission Services, Sally, or anything. They're big and get all kinds of government funding and grants, I personally think an individual donation would be much better served with those direct services I listed above.

Thank you for the long posts! Made a donation to one of the groups you listed today. Keep up the good fight!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alctel posted:

Smallbusinesses.txt

[

Oh no, won't someone think about the owners who need to work occasionally.

Like, how did they think "or having to close more they want to" would elicit sympathy? Oh sure, closing shift sucks, but yeah, maybe the person making the most money should be doing that sort of thing?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Oxyclean posted:

Like, how did they think "or having to close more they want to" would elicit sympathy? Oh sure, closing shift sucks, but yeah, maybe the person making the most money should be doing that sort of thing?
I took that as "not be open because we have no workers (because we pay poo poo)."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Normy posted:

There's a labour shortage because swaths of workers have switched to only fans and are making more than they ever imagined

people pay me to keep my clothes on

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I took that as "not be open because we have no workers (because we pay poo poo)."

Oh, yeah, that'd make more sense. Coming right after a phrase of working 7 days a week it sounded more like a shift thing.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Alctel posted:

Smallbusinesses.txt

[

Oh for fucks sake, I used to like JQ. Good to know never to go there again.

Of course the person backpedal’d and everyone is rightfully telling them to pound sand.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 25, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Even in our turbofucked housing market you need to show how you'll cover a nontrivial increase in your mortgage's interest rate, but apparently the typical small business owner expects to get away with flat wage growth for eternity?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

why don't the "owners" simply quit if they can get more money going on ei like the rest of the slaves

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Because they get more money through CEWS and CERS than they would ever get on ei lol.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Every time these small businesses whine, can we please point out that they recieved more government welfare than anyone they're complaining about

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Normy posted:

Is this really pointing a finger or just stating the facts?

I take your point. It just seems really ridiculous to say "these things that we've said are okay are the things that are causing transmission, but they are still okay."

Alctel posted:

BC is probably going to be ok as we have a really good vaccine uptake and eventually it's gonna burn through all the idiot anti-vaxxers, I dunno if AB Vax numbers are as good

I got to scream at an anti vax parade today, that was carthatic.

Hopefully, but kids still present a significant pool for spread and mutation, and delta is *really* not good.

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1418994360461381633?s=20

This latest tidbit from Bonnie is also not great. The least transparent province is at least transparent about becoming even less transparent.

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1418992723797757955?s=20

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

RBC posted:

Every time these small businesses whine, can we please point out that they recieved more government welfare than anyone they're complaining about
I made more money on EI than at my old job where our pay got cut despite our four person department having record sales, around 30k of revenue per day. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall in meetings with accounting, but I'd eat my own hair if the government loans we took weren't brought up as a reason to cut hours, and subsequently pay.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really don't have sympathy for all the horror stories about people moving into different job sectors. Whether it's articles complaining about restaurant, office or nursing shortages, they all share the same alarm about people movie to other sectors and how hosed that leaves them but nobody ever seems to want to talk about the reasons why people are changing careers. You'll never see an article talking about the shortcomings of working in these positions and the arguments always boil down to "people lazy and government gave them too much cash." Nobody wants to look at improving their workplaces for employees, they want to go back to the broken status quo and blame others.

So gently caress em.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Goosed it. posted:

I take your point. It just seems really ridiculous to say "these things that we've said are okay are the things that are causing transmission, but they are still okay."

We are 100% moving into the phase of the pandemic where transmission is seen as somewhat okay, as long as hospitalization and ICU numbers don't spike. Whether it's a good idea to do that while the vaccination campaign is still underway and no vaccine is available for kids under 12 remains to be seen (the answer is "probably not lol")

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Geez I don’t think people are happy about these signs…

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 26, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

prom candy posted:

We are 100% moving into the phase of the pandemic where transmission is seen as somewhat okay, as long as hospitalization and ICU numbers don't spike. Whether it's a good idea to do that while the vaccination campaign is still underway and no vaccine is available for kids under 12 remains to be seen (the answer is "probably not lol")

Have there been other phases of the pandemic? I thought that has been the (pathetic) goal since about five minutes after covid arrived on the continent.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/polls-conservative-support-crumbling-in-western-canada/vi-AAMwnaK?ocid=st

New Ipsos poll has the O'Toole at 36% support in Alberta.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Georgia went blue last year, what's the odds on Orange Alberta? The NDP's literally within 5% of sending O'Toole to O'blivion at this rate.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

But The Sun says he’s a strong contender!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Apollo posted:

But The Sun says he’s a strong contender!

Did they say what he was in contention for?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

nine-gear crow posted:

Georgia went blue last year, what's the odds on Orange Alberta? The NDP's literally within 5% of sending O'Toole to O'blivion at this rate.

Without another right wing party to split with, probably zero. The ANDP are deeply right wing as far as the NDP goes, it seems unlikely that support would translate to the FNDP at a 1:1 rate.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PittTheElder posted:

Without another right wing party to split with, probably zero. The ANDP are deeply right wing as far as the NDP goes, it seems unlikely that support would translate to the FNDP at a 1:1 rate.

Rachel Notley also seems to have a better political sense than Singh. Maybe it's just because I'm relatively more exposed to the ANDP, but they seem to have an uncanny way of keeping their focus on the things people are pissed off about, whereas the federal NDP just... doesn't. Granted the UCP does make that easy because there's a great deal more to be pissed off about.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Goosed it. posted:

It's nice that Adrian Dix is blaming the increased numbers on activities that the government explicitly okay'ed.

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1418684194792742912?s=20

I was in the Okanagan last weekend and I can confirm that almost no one was wearing masks anywhere at all. Welp.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

PT6A posted:

Rachel Notley also seems to have a better political sense than Singh. Maybe it's just because I'm relatively more exposed to the ANDP, but they seem to have an uncanny way of keeping their focus on the things people are pissed off about, whereas the federal NDP just... doesn't. Granted the UCP does make that easy because there's a great deal more to be pissed off about.

Yeah the UCP just keeps running into rakes

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Alctel posted:

Yeah the UCP just keeps running into rakes

Yeah, to be fair anyone should be able to mount a pretty decent challenge against a party that's, after a worldwide pandemic, saying "people hate nurses and healthcare, right? Let's run with that!"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

infernal machines posted:

Did they say what he was in contention for?
:hmmyes: Fair question.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

pokeyman posted:

Have there been other phases of the pandemic? I thought that has been the (pathetic) goal since about five minutes after covid arrived on the continent.

Yeah good point, but it's actually maybe achievable now that we have vaccines? I remember last fall when cases were climbing and people were going "yeah but the hospitalizations are low" as if cases weren't a leading indicator. Cases are obviously still gonna be a leading indicator but the ratio of cases to hospitalizations is hopefully gonna be a lot more manageable.

Definitely groups that can't get vaccinated are on their own here though, I don't even know what they're supposed to do.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

prom candy posted:

Definitely groups that can't get vaccinated are on their own here though, I don't even know what they're supposed to do.

This is the hosed up part, though I guess they can join the growing masses of people shut out of whole parts of society because we're cheap.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Die for capital, just like the rest of us, eventually.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Money alone can't make up for the harms done by lockdowns and restrictions. We had the chance to do things properly, and we decided not to. Until the government forces everyone medically able to receive a vaccine, to receive it, I'm not putting my life on hold for another year or however long it takes to reach COVID zero. I did my part, I did more than anyone asked, and I'm not sacrificing my career and social life and mental health any more until the government shows a willingness to do the hard poo poo on their end too.

I've been on the side of lockdowns and restrictions and pursuing COVID zero throughout this whole thing, but... there has to be a limit, this can't go on indefinitely.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

prom candy posted:

Yeah good point, but it's actually maybe achievable now that we have vaccines? I remember last fall when cases were climbing and people were going "yeah but the hospitalizations are low" as if cases weren't a leading indicator. Cases are obviously still gonna be a leading indicator but the ratio of cases to hospitalizations is hopefully gonna be a lot more manageable.

The thing that's really frustrating is that BC, partly through luck, was really close to getting to basically no cases in the province but refused to put in place to same measures that other provinces did. Last June/July BC had single digit to low teens cases for several weeks. There was a chance but the BC government said no and continues to say no by having a totally garbage testing protocol (no asymptomatic testing) and by leading the way in refusing to implement and the dropping restrictions.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Goosed it. posted:

The thing that's really frustrating is that BC, partly through luck, was really close to getting to basically no cases in the province but refused to put in place to same measures that other provinces did.

Other provinces dropped that ball in a big way too. In Manitoba last summer we had a few days of zero new cases and the Conservatives furiously patted each other on the backs, announced schools re-opening, and even posted billboards saying "RESTART MANITOBA!", all just a few weeks away from the second wave that completely hosed the province.

How it started:

How it ended:

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 26, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

nine-gear crow posted:

On a federal level, not great - the centre and left vote is split between the Liberals and NDP. My own riding, Edmonton Centre, is decidedly more progressive than most of Alberta, but went conservative in a 41-33-20 Con-Lib-NDP split. You may see some red or orange seats next election in Edmonton or Calgary - remember Edmonton Strathcona being the Eye of Layton under Harper? - but most of the seats are safely Conservative at election time. Ironically the Liberals would have done much better here if they got rid of FPTP :v:

Provincially, there's not the same issue - the Alberta Liberal Party finally collapsed in 2015 and that's the biggest factor in allowing the ANDP to take power. They are now positioning themselves as a big-tent centre-left party and have a lead in the polls, especially as the UCP continues to track far to the right. That plays well in rural AB but not that well in the cities - Alberta isn't as much of a monolith as the federal results would show. You need two of Edmonton, Calgary, and the rural seats to win a majority in the Alberta Legislature; the ANDP has YEG on lock and is making a solid push in YYC. I think they have a good shot, especially given how badly Kenney has hosed up everything, but two years is an eternity in politics.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

PT6A posted:

Money alone can't make up for the harms done by lockdowns and restrictions. We had the chance to do things properly, and we decided not to. Until the government forces everyone medically able to receive a vaccine, to receive it, I'm not putting my life on hold for another year or however long it takes to reach COVID zero. I did my part, I did more than anyone asked, and I'm not sacrificing my career and social life and mental health any more until the government shows a willingness to do the hard poo poo on their end too.

I've been on the side of lockdowns and restrictions and pursuing COVID zero throughout this whole thing, but... there has to be a limit, this can't go on indefinitely.

This is pretty much where I'm at too. I'm basically just following the federal guidelines for fully vaccinated people. Given that we're opening the border with the USA I think it's clear that COVID zero is not on anyone's agenda and really never was. Me living like it is isn't going to change a drat thing.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

Other provinces dropped that ball in a big way too. In Manitoba last summer we had a few days of zero new cases and the Conservatives furiously patted each other on the backs, announced schools re-opening, and even posted billboards saying "RESTART MANITOBA!", all just a few weeks away from the second wave that completely hosed the province.

How it started:

How it ended:

For me BC feels worse partly because I live here but also because:

1) NDP government that you would hope would have seized this moment to improve class sizes etc. and would be interested in protecting workers.

2) Dropping the ball on really easy things like masks and testing. BC was the last province to implement a mask mandate and the first to lift it. The mandate wasn't implemented by the PHO or the Ministry of Health. It was put in place by the Minister of Public Safety after pressure from the retail lobby. Schools didn't have masks until the end of March, and even then grades 3 and below were exempted.

Testing - BC had much more restrictive testing criteria than other provinces. Testing criteria that modelling from BC researchers showed in December are not sufficient to slow the spread of covid. We don't test asymptomatic exposed individuals. There were symptom requirements (e.g. 2 symptoms for 24 hours or more) that were more restrictive than other provinces and which disproportionately impact kids who are more likely to have mild, short duration, or no symptoms.

I know Pallister is terrible but has Manitoba hosed-up the basics, like masks, so willfully?

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Goosed it. posted:

For me BC feels worse partly because I live here but also because:

1) NDP government that you would hope would have seized this moment to improve class sizes etc. and would be interested in protecting workers.

2) Dropping the ball on really easy things like masks and testing. BC was the last province to implement a mask mandate and the first to lift it. The mandate wasn't implemented by the PHO or the Ministry of Health. It was put in place by the Minister of Public Safety after pressure from the retail lobby. Schools didn't have masks until the end of March, and even then grades 3 and below were exempted.

Testing - BC had much more restrictive testing criteria than other provinces. Testing criteria that modelling from BC researchers showed in December are not sufficient to slow the spread of covid. We don't test asymptomatic exposed individuals. There were symptom requirements (e.g. 2 symptoms for 24 hours or more) that were more restrictive than other provinces and which disproportionately impact kids who are more likely to have mild, short duration, or no symptoms.

I know Pallister is terrible but has Manitoba hosed-up the basics, like masks, so willfully?

I get really frustrated with the praise of DBH here, because it's so flatly undeserved. Maybe it's just a product of where I grew up (far, far away from here), but if you have a problem to solve it's always worth overdoing it. Run up the score and all that jazz.

I mean, the public messaging was missing 1.2 million non-English/French speakers until the day before Diwali last year. You can't just underserve over a fifth of your population and hope for the best.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 26, 2021