Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

TheAnomaly posted:

yeah a LOT of people are playing in pre-mades to chug through this event, which also means us casual friendless solos are dealing with that as well. I know I've hit WAY more five-man groups, in ARAM and SR, than normal.

im really trying hard to figure out the group of people that doesnt queue up with 4 other friends normally messaging all their league friends like "hey we gotta do this stupid poo poo for garbage lets all play together unlike normal because we cant stand each other" but then my imagination breaks down because it sounds insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
The points are also supposed to grow exponentially because you there's an increasing multiplier each week and you get more sentinels to get points from, but starting out getting so little made people not bother and even with that it's still too little.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

njsykora posted:

I finished all the PROJECT ones just with my usual run of a few ARAMs a day without even thinking about it so I think you’re overthinking that one.

There were missions that had "do both" components that were not complete able in ARAM and 1 was doing like a million damage. I play balls out on ARAM so I also completed that one but having to do some SR was annoying.

The missions were definitely scaled way harder than normal, it was complained about and part of the pre sentinel questions asked if there were going to be more like that.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Verviticus posted:

im really trying hard to figure out the group of people that doesnt queue up with 4 other friends normally messaging all their league friends like "hey we gotta do this stupid poo poo for garbage lets all play together unlike normal because we cant stand each other" but then my imagination breaks down because it sounds insane

imagine 5 league thread posters on the edge of the client friends list

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Verviticus posted:

I think a large part of it is people who play 1 or 2 games a week playing significantly more so they can actually get through the event, along with large friend groups or discord groups that normally play with just a couple of people working harder to build five mans. It is insane, but its happening, in large part because the requirements to get points require co-ordination and some of them require your games to be stomps. It's also frustrating when you're near a goal and your team surrenders, especially if its the last or next to last goal because the gains are exponential, and if you're in a group you can probably get them to hang around for your last kill/assisst/vision score point or whatever... but I will 100% agree that this event has broken some people's brains with its insanity. Their fix is a cludge, but man is it a much needed cludge.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

TheAnomaly posted:

I think a large part of it is people who play 1 or 2 games a week playing significantly more so they can actually get through the event, along with large friend groups or discord groups that normally play with just a couple of people working harder to build five mans. It is insane, but its happening, in large part because the requirements to get points require co-ordination and some of them require your games to be stomps.

I legit don't get this because 99% of my normal games over the past 8 years have been 5-mans, and I can't imagine playing the game otherwise

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I mainly play solo queue normals, because ranked & group queues end up stressing me out.

Also solo queues gives me such colorful characters, like a Fiora who complained that I wasn't healing her, that I had the 'wrong build', and spent 50% of the game trash talking in all (specifically about me, because I told her to stop trash talking in all). We won that match!

She also whined that I was having it easy because I was playing 'broken op champion senna' but she was probably right on that, WR Senna slaps.

E: It's embarassing that you still cant rewind in Wild Rift replays (to my knowledge)

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 21, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Super Librarian posted:

I legit don't get this because 99% of my normal games over the past 8 years have been 5-mans, and I can't imagine playing the game otherwise

wow, look at mr bigshot over here with his millions of friends

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

it was only a few years ago we had that impossibly huge meltdown about them removing solo queue. definitely someone out there is playing stackless.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I'm of two minds on it because I actually really enjoy playing solo queue arams in order to just turn my brain off and press buttons at people (and while I've barely done it at all this summer I've played a million games of solo ranked), but solo queue normals has consistently been some of the most miserable poo poo ive put myself through in this game

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

man I wish ultimate spellbook would stay forever :( its so much fun.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I soloq a lot. Like, the majority of my time?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yup. EUW life (please q with me I'm lonely)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

el dingo posted:

Yup. EUW life (please q with me I'm lonely)

Hey :forkbomb:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Radical posted:

it was only a few years ago we had that impossibly huge meltdown about them removing solo queue. definitely someone out there is playing stackless.

whats funny is that when that was going on everyone on reddit was melting down over how they imagine every game they play they're against a perfectly coordinated duo and none of them could ever possibly make a friend and thats why duo queue is hosed up and should be removed forever

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jerkface posted:

There were missions that had "do both" components that were not complete able in ARAM and 1 was doing like a million damage. I play balls out on ARAM so I also completed that one but having to do some SR was annoying.

The missions were definitely scaled way harder than normal, it was complained about and part of the pre sentinel questions asked if there were going to be more like that.

The million damage one was the only one I had a hard time with, since I play mostly support and tanky champs (and terrible ADCs). I had to buckle down and churn out some games over the last 3-4 days of the Project event to get that last one. I figured it would be a lot easier on people who play assassins (or competent ADC), but it seemed like if you played regularly you'd get them by the end of the event. I think the point was that there would be missions that the average player would be working on throughout the entire event, versus all of the missions getting knocked out in the first week or two of a "six week long" event.

Veev posted:

The points are also supposed to grow exponentially because you there's an increasing multiplier each week and you get more sentinels to get points from, but starting out getting so little made people not bother and even with that it's still too little.

Also it seems like the points don't matter anymore because 600 from each game dwarfs what you're getting from the sentinels, and you blow through at least the first few worlds with two games apiece. I've been playing tonight and I'm 8 sentinels in already. I guess in a week or two once the sentinel multipliers go up they'll be contributing a bigger percentage of the total.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 23, 2021

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Phenotype posted:

Also it seems like the points don't matter anymore because 600 from each game dwarfs what you're getting from the sentinels, and you blow through at least the first few worlds with two games apiece. I've been playing tonight and I'm 8 sentinels in already. I guess in a week or two once the sentinel multipliers go up they'll be contributing a bigger percentage of the total.

No the 600 points was just them admitting they failed completely and they couldn't even fix it if they wanted to at this point, it's a band-aid that just completely breaks whatever progression they had planned. The sentinel points are basically a nonfactor now.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Is there somebody who does high-level VOD reviews along the lines of Dekar173, but without the random asides of calling his opponent a bitch rear end oval office whore?

Because this guy's videos are super interesting, he'll talk a lot about the thought process behind why he's managing the lane a specific way or how the game state elsewhere on the map is impacting the decisions he's making and the effect those decisions have on the game as it progresses, and then he'll just randomly drop some obscene slurs for no apparent reason and it's always incredibly :stare:

I'm not looking for rengar-specific vods, or even top-lane specific vods, just content that cogently explains why the player is doing what they're doing and how they're making their decisions instead of the basic "Now here we want to freeze because it's going to deny the opponent gold"

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
For adc, FSN Saber. For top lane honestly kind of just Bwipo streams. For support, Core JJ has a few solid videos, MeNoHaxor hasn't played in a minute but has solid commentaries I think. For mid lane, 100% Pekin Woof. For jungle King Nidhogg. I think they've all got YouTube channels.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

foutre posted:

For top lane honestly kind of just Bwipo streams.

Bwipo knows a lot about top lane for a jungler, its kinda impressive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

whats funny is that when that was going on everyone on reddit was melting down over how they imagine every game they play they're against a perfectly coordinated duo and none of them could ever possibly make a friend and thats why duo queue is hosed up and should be removed forever

I played against an obvious duo last night and god absolutely bodied by their practiced lane combo the first time and then, uh, we came back to win the game anyway because even if I'm trash theres four other people.

Edit: Senna feels way overtuned in Wild Rift but I feel she'll get to keep being nasty until after the new items drop

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 25, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

Edit: Senna feels way overtuned in Wild Rift but I feel she'll get to keep being nasty until after the new items drop

It's kind of absurd that she can confidently trade in lane (and by virtue of the mists, any trade she survives is a won trade), protect her carry, and often outscale her carry without taking a single creep and at a hilariously comfortable distance. And you can put her in any lane and do reasonably well (which is big when WR players struggle to understand map mirroring and lane calls).

https://i.imgur.com/FdCH4YJ.gifv

It's my understanding that she's pretty good in big boy PC League right now, but I swear the huge passive gold of WR takes her to a new level. Chargeblade might at least help her carry keep up, so there's that.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 25, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The fact her ult is full map means she is insanely useful; there is no fight she can't contribute to no matter where she is and that shield is bonkers big.

And yeah, she scales so well that even putting her in a solo lane like mid or top she can do perfectly fine and her passive procs plenty fast even though its not supposed to. The only role she's not great at is Jungle.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
can someone explain to me why one would play wild rift over the actual game? it never looks good or compelling

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Is that aram? Its fun. Yep.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Verviticus posted:

can someone explain to me why one would play wild rift over the actual game? it never looks good or compelling

One's on your phone

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Verviticus posted:

Its on my phone, matches take less time, characters are slightly simplified versus Pc, better graphics and doesn't destroy my dying PC which runs lol at an incosistent 30 fps at like 800x600, and the view is significantly zoomed out from PC so I feel like I can see things other than my character.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for running the LP archive, you rule.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

One's on your phone

Barudak posted:

Its on my phone, matches take less time, characters are slightly simplified versus Pc, and the view is significantly zoomed out from PC so I feel like I can see things other than my character.

these are not very convincing

quote:

better graphics and doesn't destroy my dying PC

sounds reasonable though

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I kinda bounced off wild rift because I hate phone game controls but whenever it comes to switch I might never play another video game (something something pokemon unite yeah i know)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
As an added bonus the lack of rts commands and shorter matches means people have less time to tilt in chat and shout epithets

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

they just have to do it with more intensity

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive mentioned before but the in the SEA server for Wild Rift its a blend of various east asian languages and then formal English to call each other racial slurs when they realize someone from another country is in the match and they want their trash talking understood

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Monicro posted:

(something something pokemon unite yeah i know)

It's looking real good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyRFGxncuAk
(I'l probably still try it when it hits android)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
league but more pay to win

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

It's looking real good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyRFGxncuAk
(I'l probably still try it when it hits android)

This looks really dumb, but you can buy that stuff with ingame currency too right? So is this really any different from how runes used to work in league?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

This looks really dumb, but you can buy that stuff with ingame currency too right? So is this really any different from how runes used to work in league?

Runes are/were a pretty stupid and tedious part of League as well.

It will really depend on how fast you can grind these things; Critikal in the vid alleges that he only got 2 upgrades in a couple hours of play, the max level on the items is 30, and you can equip three of them. That would be pretty awful.

They're also saying that they'll have cross-progression across platforms, if that includes item upgrades then that seems like a very good way for mobile players (who are getting the game 1-2 months later) to be instantly devastated & uninstall the game lol

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 26, 2021

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Shortest Path posted:

yes, because you specifically had to buy runes with IP and its not like it was super laborious to get the highest tier of a rune.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

love to have someone say in lobby "sorry guys i'm gonna feed, i'm deranking" and not take smite as jungle

first time I've intentionally dodged but I'm salty that I had to throw away LP because some rear end in a top hat wanted to grief the game so he could game the MMR system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just drop the patch so I can get my next free character Riot. I've got half the cast in Wild Rift now and I want the rest without spending any money!