Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I mean there’s always the drums vs flats discussion when it comes to the favorite part of the chicken wing but aint NOBODY talking about talons (the best part dumbass)! :haibrower:

FEED ME STRAY TALONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Don Gato posted:

If I'm eating an animal then every part is already on the menu, I don't see why I wouldn't eat pigs feet or chicken feet since I'm already eating the rest. The only exception is eye and brain, the texture for both trigger the part of my brain that screams "NOT FOOD".

Sheep eye is probably the grossest thing I ever ate. Raw it's hard, cooked it's a lot more like unchewable gelatin. Just had to swallow the thing whole because I couldn't spend any more time trying to chew it before I puked. Worse than toenails on chicken feet that's for sure.

I remember going through a small town in Vietnam and seeing a sign with cats and dogs and pigs all over it, and the slow realization "huh I haven't seen any pet shops here... oh that's not a pet store, that's a restaurant with a picture menu"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Chicken feet was pretty standard "foot of the mountain" food, right next to the fried larvae, when you went hiking in Korea. I tried chicken feet once and it was as described: good sauce, terrible texture, too much work. I couldn't bring myself to eat bugs. I know we'll likely be eating bug protein based pastes in the next 30 years, but I'm happy with pork for the time being.

My wife loves chicken cartilage though so whenever we're at a restaurant that serves it she orders a plate. Usually the menu calls it "chicken knuckles" but I am not entirely sure where on the chicken it originates. It basically looks like small pieces of popcorn chicken and is as chewy as you'd expect. My kid seems to love it too so I guess it's just one of those things that if you grow up with it, you don't mind the texture at all. I can't really stand it personally. Only thing that is worse for me is pig ear. That is vile.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Horatius Bonar posted:

Sheep eye is probably the grossest thing I ever ate. Raw it's hard, cooked it's a lot more like unchewable gelatin. Just had to swallow the thing whole because I couldn't spend any more time trying to chew it before I puked. Worse than toenails on chicken feet that's for sure.

"You know what I think this is? I think this is a game of 'let us see what offendi will swallow'. I am not swallowing this, friend."

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

For me its beets

cannot loving stands beets, natures candy my rear end

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I don't eat chickens feet because we kept chickens when I was a kid and their feet were always thickly caked with chicken poo poo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
there aint nothin i wont eat

eyes, cock & balls, bugs, guts, tacobell

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
at the goon meeting in chengdu in 2017 I am p sure caberham or fart Simpson ordered us cow brains for our hotpot and didn't tell us that's what it was, but I honestly don't remember. someone ordered pig dick on a street skewer in Tianjin and gave it to a newbie and they got really upset and some people lol'd and others were like 'bruh not cool'

none of this poo poo bothers me in the least, tho I can't say I was looking forward to eating cow brains. I think one of the goons there wasn't happy about it but I don't remember exactly so who knows/who cares

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
weird food talk; i'm glad shark fin soup is now uncool bc that was some bland rear end "soup"

also one time i made my friend eat beef tripe, depite them being some who hunts and eats just about anything, it was a ptsd inducing event he never forgave me for

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

CIGNX posted:

The Guardian published a long read last week on game developers dealing with Chinese censorship. It doesn't have anything new for anyone keeping up with this thread, but it's interesting to see how even some insiders have a grim outlook about increasing censorship. Definitely worth a read.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/jul/15/china-video-game-censorship-tencent-netease-blizzard

And then there's this bit of tu quoque

I'm not sure how making movies for teens is the same as banning Taiwan and LGBTQ people, but here we are.

chinese vidya game talk: https://youtu.be/wJxM3POU92w

while it a drat shame there's probs some cool games that will never see light of day or get neutered to hell, the future sure looks bright for tcm simulators about fever dream confucianism

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Tripe is excellent as its folds soak up all that tasty sauce it comes with. It has to be eaten hot though.

The chicken feet I prefer are the ones that are fall-off-the-bone tender so you can just yank out the digits and, slurp off the meat and spit out the bones without much effort. Duck feet are the ones I'll pass on because they cling to the bone and are nowhere near as tender. Way more work for less reward.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I fought really, really, really hard to not have shark fin soup at my wedding. I lost. Then I fought for a vegetarian shark fin substitute. I lost.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

I fought really, really, really hard to not have shark fin soup at my wedding. I lost. Then I fought for a vegetarian shark fin substitute. I lost.

Was this fight with the wife? I've been adamant about the same and wife is onboard but am afraid parents will try to ram it through.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Full court press from wife and inlaws. Just would not hear anything else.

My students, when asked about the question, are about 75/25 against the idea. But when push comes to shove, can they say no to their parents if they want it? I dunno.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Booty Pageant posted:

chinese vidya game talk: https://youtu.be/wJxM3POU92w

while it a drat shame there's probs some cool games that will never see light of day or get neutered to hell, the future sure looks bright for tcm simulators about fever dream confucianism

Excuse me that's fever dream daoism, if it was fever dream confucianism you'd be doing more work building harmonious societies via philosophy instead of getting superpowers via meditation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atlas Hugged posted:

I couldn't bring myself to eat bugs. I know we'll likely be eating bug protein based pastes in the next 30 years, but I'm happy with pork for the time being.

Beondegi are disgusting, but every other kind of bug I've tried has been good. Cicadas are particularly tasty.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Head Cheese is the worst cheese.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The weird food thing I just found out about is Taiwan's obsession with chicken testicles. A Taiwanese friend sent me a picture of chicken balls pizza commenting she was unsure why her people hated italian food so much, which put me down a path of finding 10000 chicken testicle related dishes in Taiwan.

I asked a few mainland friends from all over and the response was near-universally (except one person from Guanggong) "you're lying no one eats that" so I assume it's probably regional.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Atlas Hugged posted:

My wife loves chicken cartilage though so whenever we're at a restaurant that serves it she orders a plate. Usually the menu calls it "chicken knuckles" but I am not entirely sure where on the chicken it originates. It basically looks like small pieces of popcorn chicken and is as chewy as you'd expect. My kid seems to love it too so I guess it's just one of those things that if you grow up with it, you don't mind the texture at all. I can't really stand it personally. Only thing that is worse for me is pig ear. That is vile.

I holidayed in Japan with a friend who could speak the language pretty well, and we ordered what he thought was a safe chicken dish at a restaurant and we got a plate filled with a mound of stuff that looked like popcorn chicken but was exactly what you describe. We ate a bunch of it because we're cheap, but it's not something I would ever order or knowingly eat again.

I also tried raw octopus (not in Japan, just a Japanese restaurant). The waitress asked us repeatedly if we really wanted to order it just to make sure we knew what we were getting into. It was actually delicious but the texture is appalling so it's not on my list either.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

that raw octo in wasabi is one of my faves mmmmm

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

apparently the text says "Challenging the Italian people's limits(or bottom line)! Super Taiwanese!"

taiwan #1

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Gromit posted:

I holidayed in Japan with a friend who could speak the language pretty well, and we ordered what he thought was a safe chicken dish at a restaurant and we got a plate filled with a mound of stuff that looked like popcorn chicken but was exactly what you describe. We ate a bunch of it because we're cheap, but it's not something I would ever order or knowingly eat again.

I also tried raw octopus (not in Japan, just a Japanese restaurant). The waitress asked us repeatedly if we really wanted to order it just to make sure we knew what we were getting into. It was actually delicious but the texture is appalling so it's not on my list either.

Can’t help but wonder how well this person actually knew Japanese because fried chicken cartilage is a staple you’ll find at basically every single izakaya.

Ailumao posted:

The weird food thing I just found out about is Taiwan's obsession with chicken testicles. A Taiwanese friend sent me a picture of chicken balls pizza commenting she was unsure why her people hated italian food so much, which put me down a path of finding 10000 chicken testicle related dishes in Taiwan.

I asked a few mainland friends from all over and the response was near-universally (except one person from Guanggong) "you're lying no one eats that" so I assume it's probably regional.

I don’t think chicken balls is actually that common and that pizza was definitely intentionally made to stir people up; recently one restaurant made a chicken testicle pizza and it kinda went viral; even their advertisement about it was like “testing the limits of Italians” or something

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Test the Limits of Italians? poo poo all they need to do is put Garlic in a Carbonara

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
chicken testicle pizza is where i draw the line im sorry

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I prefer smooth penne and this drives lots of italians insane for some reason

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Here’s a picture if it actually loads

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
My bad I forgot these were just any chicken balls but *extra large* chicken balls

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I've had chicken balls in hot pot before. They were definitely much smaller than that. Those must come from some big rear end chickens.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

turns out the pizzas are just really small, like they can fit in your pocket

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Achewood was dril before dril. There's an Achewood strip for everything.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Look at this chicken's huge balls

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/china-criticises-nbc-olympics-broadcast-incomplete-map-2021-07-24/

quote:

The Chinese consulate in New York said the display "hurt the dignity and emotions of the Chinese people", in a post on its official Weibo social media platform on Saturday.

:laugh:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Every time China complains, they should remove additional territories.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

LimburgLimbo posted:

Can’t help but wonder how well this person actually knew Japanese because fried chicken cartilage is a staple you’ll find at basically every single izakaya.

No idea. My language skills were limited to what I could learn before going, which was along the lines of yes/no/entry/exit and counting. He was WAY better than me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Reuters are cowards for not showing the map.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Reuters are cowards for not showing the map.

it's cool i found it

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Every time I hear the "hurts the feelings of the Chinese people" i wonder if they realize how pathetic it sounds internationally. there's probably a cultural difference a work here but i would be hard pressed to find a country where "this hurts our feelings" is not mocked if a politician used it as an argument.

I keep playing this quote in my head that i read a while ago about how "xi / china demands respect from a world that he refuses to understand".

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Excuse me that's fever dream daoism, if it was fever dream confucianism you'd be doing more work building harmonious societies via philosophy instead of getting superpowers via meditation.

it's been awhile since i watched journey to the west and my date with a vampire :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Now, admittedly my knowledge with Daoism starts and ends with the Dao De Ching, with a vague recollection that some kook made noises about butterflies a few centuries later, but wouldn't living past your natural span of time be considered against the spirit of the whole thing?

Bit like Buddhism with its 'We're a peaceful religion (Ignore the war god) that shuns materialism (Ignore the 50-foot golden statue)" issue.