Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Defenestrategy posted:

There's only two things I know about Ohio

Cincinnati Chili and Electric Six's "Escape from Ohio", neither of which paint Ohio favorably in my eyes.

My husband loves Cincinnati Chili and I am subjected to it on a semi-regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spaghetti and chili is an ohio river valley thing, its in Louisville as well.

My wife is from Louisville, really spaghetti with chili is fine its skyline thats bad.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Pine Cone Jones posted:

My husband loves Cincinnati Chili and I am subjected to it on a semi-regular basis.

I'm from Ohio and even I think that poo poo is vile.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

hobbesmaster posted:

Spaghetti and chili is an ohio river valley thing, its in Louisville as well.

My wife is from Louisville, really spaghetti with chili is fine its skyline thats bad.

makes sense if you consider chili mac's inherent goodness

edit: I don't know what Cincinnati or Skyline brand chili is like to be fair

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Basticle posted:

I'm from Ohio and even I think that poo poo is vile.

I'm from Ohio and have never had skyline chili.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

US Berder Patrol posted:

makes sense if you consider chili mac's inherent goodness

edit: I don't know what Cincinnati or Skyline brand chili is like to be fair

It's chili with the following differences

No Beans
Allspice and Cinnamon
on top of spaghetti noodles

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Defenestrategy posted:

Allspice and Cinnamon

... interesting

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Godholio posted:

Ohio is noticeably better than Kansas.

I grew up in Kansas, my wife is from Ohio. She likes it in Kansas more than I do. Her hometown is god awful though, East Liverpool. It's in the far SE corner of Ohio, where the sewage settles between West Virginia and Pennsylvania. An eddy of poo poo, a confluence of despair.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

MonkeyWash posted:

I grew up in Kansas, my wife is from Ohio. She likes it in Kansas more than I do. Her hometown is god awful though, East Liverpool. It's in the far SE corner of Ohio, where the sewage settles between West Virginia and Pennsylvania. An eddy of poo poo, a confluence of despair.

Oh loving God don't blame ohio for East Liverpool

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MonkeyWash posted:

I wonder if the HAYS HAS JOBS billboard is still up on the 135. It's gotta be.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

More good news about covid

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1418696473177362432?s=19

Long thread, worth reading.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That better show up on youtube and be hosted by Jimmy Carr.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

This is bad. Very bad.

Christ titty gently caress this is bad.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
tl;dr of the long covid thread: initial research suggests cognitive impairment worse than the average outcome of stroke patients, and lots and lots of people are all getting it at the same time. Societal impacts not out of the realm of possibility, needs more research and holy fuckballs don't try the "herd immunity open 'er up" approach that's bad.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
That is scary as hell, goddamn.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rifles posted:

I was born in and still live in Ohio.

I'm so, so sorry.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm from Cincinnati (though I haven't lived in Ohio for ten years) and I'll be that guy. I like skylines, I like LaRosa pizza too, and I loving love goetta

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bird food bathtub posted:

tl;dr of the long covid thread: initial research suggests cognitive impairment worse than the average outcome of stroke patients, and lots and lots of people are all getting it at the same time. Societal impacts not out of the realm of possibility, needs more research and holy fuckballs don't try the "herd immunity open 'er up" approach that's bad.

If this is accurate, it might go a long way to explaining Bojo's behaviour since he seems hell-bent on doing the dumbest possible thing

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PookBear posted:

airbnb is just illegal hotels in residential areas

A friend and I once slept on floor futons in a guy's loft accessible only by narrow spiral staircase and certainly not up to any kind of code, overnight in Tokyo while the owner slept downstairs in the same room and it was my first AirBnB experience and the best.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If this is accurate, it might go a long way to explaining Bojo's behaviour since he seems hell-bent on doing the dumbest possible thing

Best of luck instituting "Long COVID sufferers can't legally hold public office that involves control of and over nuclear weapons" policies, too. =/

The most bothersome thing is that I cannot fathom a better-constructed virus to collectively stymie humanity over a generation (or two) than COVID-19. Don't worry, I'm not going to go howler monkey about ENGINEERED VIRUS except to :golfclap: at Mother Nature. Bubonic Plague, Smallpox, the Spanish Flu, Polio, HIV...she's making us all her bitches with a virus type that we all used to collectively :shrug: about, and the biggest issue is that literal BILLIONS of people *still aren't* taking it seriously. We weren't dumbing ourselves down fast enough, so Gaea decided to trip us up. The period in human history where knowledge and understanding are their most accessible, and because PEOPLE GOTTA LIVE THEIR LIVES, we're risking (and yes, I know this trope is overdone) a speed run towards the "Idiocracy" timeline.

All the attention given to ultra-hot virii like filoviridae over the past few decades courtesy of Hollywood and publishers, and a roided-out "head cold" is what finally gives us our comeuppance. AND WE HAD loving PRIOR WARNING WITH MERS AND SARS. :sigh:

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

bird food bathtub posted:

See that just explains the GOP/Tory attitude about open er up. literally creating more voters for them as the leaded fuel poisoned boomers die off

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The most bothersome thing is that I cannot fathom a better-constructed virus to collectively stymie humanity over a generation (or two) than COVID-19. Don't worry, I'm not going to go howler monkey about ENGINEERED VIRUS except to :golfclap: at Mother Nature. Bubonic Plague, Smallpox, the Spanish Flu, Polio, HIV...she's making us all her bitches with a virus type that we all used to collectively :shrug: about, and the biggest issue is that literal BILLIONS of people *still aren't* taking it seriously. We weren't dumbing ourselves down fast enough, so Gaea decided to trip us up. The period in human history where knowledge and understanding are their most accessible, and because PEOPLE GOTTA LIVE THEIR LIVES, we're risking (and yes, I know this trope is overdone) a speed run towards the "Idiocracy" timeline.

This is almost less scientific than just straight covid denial.

Why do you assume those past diseases couldn’t have also had possible cognitive functions issues? Because in the time of the plague they didn’t do cognitive effects research on plague survivors?

There are billions of people with dogshit access to vaccines. That’s not them being contrarian assholes, or ignorant, it’s a combination of supply chains and also deliberate state actor decisions to refuse them sufficient vaccines.

There are over billions people with terrible options to segregate and live as hermits and order doordash. If you live in a multigenerational home in a poor country (or even a wealthy one), even 100% mask use aside from eating and drinking is very high risk! What are they supposed to do?

And lol at this generationally dumbing people down. One study suggests cognitive decline in the worst afflicted people, and now you’re worried it will be passed down to later generations?

Taking your legit gripe about dumbasses in your Western neighborhood or city or whatever and ascribing their motivations and ignorance to the whole world population is some real :goonsay: nonsense.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
*snip*

Everything except for the fact that I don't appreciate being lumped in with COVID deniers.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Does that study differentiate between infections in vaccinated and unvaccinated people? I imagine that the subset of "got vaccinated (before getting COVID)" people in the "got COVID" group is pretty small, though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfJohn/status/1418706756457299971?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fallom posted:

Violence also goes up with ice cream sales

I suspect that the PhD dissertation the article was written about had considered that as well but stranger things have happened.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Flikken posted:

It's got the XB-70

Yeah I went to the museum a few years ago and walked into a hangar looking for the Valkyrie. Couldn't see it at first, but then looked up and there it was, just towering over me. Amazing plane and awesome museum.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Sandusky is nice, go to Port Clinton and hit Jolly Rodgers for some dope fried seafood. The Liberty Air museum is also neat, they're restoring a WW2 PT boat and have some cool artifacts. You probably passed my hometown on the turnpike as well. I really want to go home but my car, depression and other fun things are saying no.

Also, the Cod: I got to sleep aboard her during a reenactment during the Cleveland air show, so I had a sweet experience and front row seats to the Blue Angels. Her dry docking is the first time she's been out of the water since 1966. They're doing major hull repairs. I want to say her engines probably work. Her volunteer crew are pretty badass about getting her back in shape.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Let's see how things are going in the UK

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1419202718091169793?s=19

Oh

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I'm not even going to bother reading the article before I conclude that the Daily Mail is badly misrepresenting something a non-fishbelly white politician in the UK did or said.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
its tragic that I have to explain to people that there is nothing but fraud and lies with any crypto currency. Yeah, you can make money in the same way that some people made a fuckload on dutch tulips, but there were also a fuckton of bagholders and if you're hearing about this poo poo in broadcast news, you're in the latter category.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

its tragic that I have to explain to people that there is nothing but fraud and lies with any crypto currency. Yeah, you can make money in the same way that some people made a fuckload on dutch tulips, but there were also a fuckton of bagholders and if you're hearing about this poo poo in broadcast news, you're in the latter category.

Not to mention nearly the entire value of cryptocurrency is how much fiat currency you can launder out of it or through it.

Either way, excited for Britain to be overrun with mining ops being run out of people's homes to mine the Britcoin.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's a bit terrifying to learn the kind of people who can make it through medical school

https://twitter.com/KelseyObGyn/status/1418647581584941057

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

It would actually makes sense if the government really wanted a high degree of control. It doesn't have to be mined a la bitcoin, the government just programs it into existence instead of printing it, there would be no difference from physical money. Thats just a dumb name for it though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

lightpole posted:

It would actually makes sense if the government really wanted a high degree of control. It doesn't have to be mined a la bitcoin, the government just programs it into existence instead of printing it, there would be no difference from physical money. Thats just a dumb name for it though.

Thats not how cryptocurrency works. It has to be mined into existence, if it could just be programmed into existence then people WOULD just program it into existence.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This is loving great:

https://twitter.com/jaesofamous/status/1419000103575109632

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

RFC2324 posted:

Thats not how cryptocurrency works. It has to be mined into existence, if it could just be programmed into existence then people WOULD just program it into existence.

I, and the article, never said anything about cryptocurrency, and even then, it doesn't have to be mined. Bitcoin mining was just a way to create artificial scarcity as well as recruit processing power for the transactions, it doesn't have to work like that.

You could say the same thing about paper money and gold, you can't just print it into existence because if you could, people would, it has to be mined!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That’s a well done video you posted Mr. Nice.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Mr. Nice! posted:

I followed the original making fun of bitcoin thread in 2011. Nothing really has changed. Yeah, the "value" went up astronomically but Joe Miner certainly can't afford it. Hell, I even wrote a paper on it and submitted it to a Futures Analysis journal. They sat on it for a year and rejected it. I basically said the following:

Crypto is good for trying to elude the Government (until the Government catches wind of it when it gets big)
It is, however, completely unregulated and thus open to scams and fraud
You (at the time) can't buy anything with it up the chain of supply, so if you want to run a bitcoin store that's going to difficult.
Other digital currencies have come and failed because of, surprise, fraud and scams.
Mining is an endgame which the average miner cannot compete with.

I think the paper held up after all these years. The stories from that original thread were wild. One guy was trying to get bitcoin to re-open a defunct theater in BFE Illinois and show all the thousands of movies he had on a household grade projector. Oh, and he also planned to have a soda fountain that could dispense all the sodas. His business plan was to buy gift cards at Wal-Mart and sell them to bitcoin people for a small upcharge and thus make his dream come true. The very first sale he hosed up the transaction and the guy never got his gift card. Dude also had a fetish for 1992 Ford Broncos or something like that. Oh, and he was unemployed after getting fired from his part-time restaurant job. But bitcoin was going to make him a millionaire. There were an awful lot of similar stories back then.

A small aside, I ordered a computer from Amazon years back. Within a couple of months the power supply and the graphics card failed. Want to guess why? Yep, the shitbags had mined with it and then sold it as "new". Amazon refunded 75% of the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
"Alternate" currencies existed long before crypto, too, but never caught on because they were dependent on fly-by-night con artists to hock them to the credulous (and the credits to hock them to their circle of friends). One of my previous employers purchased $5k in some "real business currency for real business people" which, surprise surprise, was effectively unusable because the whole thing was a cycle of dopes realizing all the dopes before them had already written the "currency" off as a con.

https://youtu.be/K-6IzkDyl9Q

The only thing actually special about Bitcoin is that it hit at the right moment with the right techno babble to become self-sustaining off the backs of true believers and criminals.