Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
When we got a Zojirushi rice cooker many years ago, I scoffed. I knew how to cook rice!

Now you’ll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. It’s the hardest working appliance in my kitchen. And it’s so drat chipper about it, it’s fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

everyone thinks they know how to cook rice till the twinkle twinkle little star singing machine teaches them better

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Oneiros posted:

everyone thinks they know how to cook rice till the twinkle twinkle little star singing machine teaches them better
New thread title please

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

CommieGIR posted:

Seeing more Federal support for Right to Repair which is great

https://twitter.com/rechelon/status/1418362291662229504?s=20

At this point who the gently caress is actually against right to repair? Like yeah there might be some insanely nuanced disagreements within the movement, but for the most part it seems like both sides of the aisle would come out 99% for it as a concept.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Korak posted:

At this point who the gently caress is actually against right to repair? Like yeah there might be some insanely nuanced disagreements within the movement, but for the most part it seems like both sides of the aisle would come out 99% for it as a concept.

Counterpoint, money. Fat stacks of "campaign contributions" in your account.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Korak posted:

When something like this hits that doesn't really have a Culture War angle, what you'll find is a whole lot of Congresscritters kinda shrugging and saying "John Deere doesn't like it and they have a factory in my district, so no." Doesn't really move the needle either way with their base who care about other stuff. Enough of those and it dies. Not enough of those and it goes through.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm personally shocked that Disney seems to be willing to let The Mouse enter the public domain, I assume that there's a rational reason for it beyond :effort: given how much work they spent making copyright last for a lifetime + several generations

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I'm personally shocked that Disney seems to be willing to let The Mouse enter the public domain, I assume that there's a rational reason for it beyond :effort: given how much work they spent making copyright last for a lifetime + several generations

They've already stretched it so far that they've judged the backlash of making Copyright outlast Civilization isn't worth dealing with and the only reason they were able to do it last time was because it was before Online was a thing

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Yeah, Disney recognizes that they are at the limit of what they can get away with as it is. Also they have diversified with many other IPs that have plenty of life left in them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And probably realised that no one actually gives a poo poo about Mickey Mouse anymore, their refusal to actually do anything interesting with him means he's hopelessly generic anyway and makes their touchiness about the IP look completely absurd.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We have a rice cooker but it's a proper old fashioned one like this, none of that new fangled stuff for me if I can avoid it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTNhvDGbYI

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

AtomikKrab posted:

Yeah, Disney recognizes that they are at the limit of what they can get away with as it is. Also they have diversified with many other IPs that have plenty of life left in them.

When American copyright law was more lax than most of Europes they did have an argument. Now it is the same and there is probably some consensus politically to keep it reasonably similar.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i had an aroma rice cooker. i thought it was ok

a zojirushi will make you want to smash it with a sledgehammer for deceiving you about what rice could be

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Korak posted:

Do you really want some rando to attempt to fix your expensive pocket computer? What if we put a <cell carrier> shirt on them?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Disney still has their trademarks on Mickey Mouse, the original works going into the public domain doesn't really matter all that much. What matters is their specific branding, which they won't lose.

Also, Zojirushi Potato Cooker when. Don't care about this rice business.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Do you really want some rando to attempt to fix your expensive pocket computer? What if we put a <cell carrier> shirt on them?

Modern phones are pretty much impossible to open up without specialized equipment, but up to a few years ago fixing smartphones really wasn't all that hard. Did it myself a couple of times, with parts from ebay.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 25, 2021

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And probably realised that no one actually gives a poo poo about Mickey Mouse anymore, their refusal to actually do anything interesting with him means he's hopelessly generic anyway and makes their touchiness about the IP look completely absurd.

The short cartoons they started making in 2013 under the direction of Paul Rudish, Gennedy Tartakovsky's former right-hand man were a delight for their five-season run, but those were like, the first new 'Mickey as Main Character' cartoons since the 1990s.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just for the record, an automatic rice cooker isn't some marvel of modern technology, it just has a thermometer that tells it to turn the heat down when the internal temperature exceeds the boiling point of water (which means all the water has boiled off). I mean, they can add other fancy doodads like delays and stuff, but that's the basic premise of a rice cooker.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Gulping Again posted:

The short cartoons they started making in 2013 under the direction of Paul Rudish, Gennedy Tartakovsky's former right-hand man were a delight for their five-season run, but those were like, the first new 'Mickey as Main Character' cartoons since the 1990s.
You've heard of Paul Rudd? Well, we've got someone who's basically the same.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i would like to submit my new smoke/co2 detectors to this thread

after installing them i noticed they periodically blink red every 15 seconds or so. i was concerned until i read that this is what they do to indicate everything is normal

yes, that's correct: alarm equipment that FLASHES RED TO INDICATE NORMALITY

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think any company designing a product to go into a bedroom area should consult a sleep doctor just so they don't miss very basic poo poo that will aggravate someone trying to rest.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

at least those electronics with super bright blue leds were unintentionally annoying. whoever made this was just a complete dolt who went directly against the design philosophy of every alarm system in human history

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Stexils posted:

i would like to submit my new smoke/co2 detectors to this thread

after installing them i noticed they periodically blink red every 15 seconds or so. i was concerned until i read that this is what they do to indicate everything is normal

yes, that's correct: alarm equipment that FLASHES RED TO INDICATE NORMALITY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj7XA3tiGUg&t=54s

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Funny story about smoke alarms: In the United States and around the world, detectors have a legally-mandated lifespan of 10 years. But why? There's nothing about the electronics that ages. Studies have been conducted to justify this regulation, which have concluded that after 10 years about 25% of the devices have become dysfunctional. That appears compelling, except that the usual reason for that dysfunction is that either the replaceable battery has died or someone has removed it completely.

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/why-should-smoke-alarms-be-replaced-after-ten-years/

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

goatsestretchgoals posted:

If you can make a thing that saves me 30 seconds every morning I will spend the extra $20 on it. I’m trying to talk my wife into spending $60 on a new coffee pot. I can program the thing without referring to the manual and doing an 80s VCR style refer to manual type thing.

at least the better coffee pot is within your budget

this rice cooker goons are shilling is like 200 bucks lol

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Every programmable coffee maker we’ve ever had the electronics died and turned it into an expensive paperweight.

Manual switch for life, gently caress an auto-off.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Best 200 I've spent on a kitchen appliance in my life. Its used almost daily.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Wait until a blood moon comes out from behind cloud cover and the car slams the brakes on the highway.

Tesla must of been getting news from local 58.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Best 200 I've spent on a kitchen appliance in my life. Its used almost daily.

If I were to spend money like that it would be on a tecniworm brewer. No pointless electronics, just build quality and spare parts availability for decades.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

His Divine Shadow posted:

If I were to spend money like that it would be on a tecniworm brewer. No pointless electronics, just build quality and spare parts availability for decades.
I suppose you mean Technivorm? They are extremely common in The Netherlands, since it's a Dutch company and since the 70s you could save up for them by buying Douwe Egberts coffee. Since pretty much everyone bought that brand of coffee during that era a shitload of these brewers entered Dutch homes.

My parents and their neighbors also got that specific Moccamaster brewer and, guess what, these brewers are still making coffee over 50 years later.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Some people come from cultures where rice is just an automatic part of every meal. A machine that reliably makes good rice without having to think about it or take up a stove burner, and then holds it at the right temp for food safety for several hours, is easily worth the $100 or so it actually costs. The microcontroller based ones still make good rice if you don't get the rice-to-water proportions quite right (which changes as your 50 lb bag ages a bit) where the classic two-position switch models will overcook or undercook your rice.

If you really want to see high priced luxury rice cookers you gotta go with Korean pressure-cooker options like Cuchen or Cuckoo. There's a legit benefit there (they cook the rice way faster) but the nice ones also cost like $500+.

This is hilarious both for the price and the very clear picture it paints of how much they care about the white-people market.

His Divine Shadow posted:

gently caress that, go Chemex.

It's a single piece of borosilicate glass. My mom's lasted 40 years until a bad drop took it out. Total maintenance: soak the interior with a bleach solution once every few months, occasionally descale the kettle.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
korean pressure-cooker eh, there's a level beyond Zojirushi ?

(there is and I been thinking about getting a Zojirushi with induction heating and / or pressure , but is it worth it / noticeable better?)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Space Gopher posted:

gently caress that, go Chemex.

It's a single piece of borosilicate glass. My mom's lasted 40 years until a bad drop took it out. Total maintenance: soak the interior with a bleach solution once every few months, occasionally descale the kettle.

It's also literally just a plain glass bottle with a bit to hold coffee filters, so you have to do all the tedious pour-over coffee stuff manually with your own hands.
I don't want to spend 5 minutes slowly dripping hot water out of a kettle into the coffee maker every morning! We have machines to do that for us.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's also literally just a plain glass bottle with a bit to hold coffee filters, so you have to do all the tedious pour-over coffee stuff manually with your own hands.
I don't want to spend 5 minutes slowly dripping hot water out of a kettle into the coffee maker every morning! We have machines to do that for us.

Pro tip: you don’t have to do that. Dump water in about 1 cup/250ml at a time while you put together the rest of your breakfast and it’s fine. You might not reach ~the apex of handcrafted coffee perfection~ but it will taste way, way better than what you get out of a Mr Coffee or any other drip maker that isn’t brand new.

90% of the benefit of pour over coffee is that you can clean all the old nasty flavors out of your brewing equipment, because it’s just a simple glass/ceramic filter holder and an ordinary stovetop or electric kettle. You might be able to get similar results out of an obsessively cleaned machine, but… sometimes you don’t need the machine.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Takeya cold brew maker for lyfe. Grind beans. Put in takeya. Fill with water. Put in fridge for a day. Nice cold coffee with no acid 2 hurt tumy (:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Frankly I doubt I would even notice the difference. I like to brew a pot of coffee and consume it slowly over an hour in the morning, if I got the time. Supposedly the coffee is supposed to go bad over that time because of the hot plate, but I can't tell. I like it and it's good enough for me. I'm sorta the anti hipster in that regard, whereas some people obsess over certain things, coffee or beer, I just say this is good enough and don't think about it any more. I just want a coffee brewer that works and beer that is cheap, it's good enough for me.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I can brew hot or cold coffee in a French press, and that suits me just fine.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I can make coffee with zero help from the internet.

PM me on details as to how.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

BiggerBoat posted:

I can make coffee with zero help from the internet.

PM me on details as to how.

But if we do, we're making coffee with the help of an internet stranger. You can see the dilemma here.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
just have Enrique make your coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

just have Enrique make your coffee.

Have him remote into your IoT coffee maker and make it for you. Problem solved.