Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

also if he actually watched Be Right Back (the Black Mirror episode) the person communicating with the AI dead husband goes into a mental breakdown when her phone broke, resulting in her trying risky new technology that installs the AI into a clone body of her husband and it just makes everything worse so I share his friends' sentiments that it's absolutely unhealthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tubgoat posted:

No one else acknowledged this pun, but you should be proud and ashamed in equal measure.

always

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hodgepodge posted:

i mean i get there's some weird creepy aspects of this, but maybe read the article before tapping into the sweet sweet endorphin rush of someone else being a creep (this makes mocking their grief okay and you don't have to try to be funny or insightful or really have a personality to speak of either)

if she was my friend it would piss me off regardless. his grief is weird and hosed up basically regardless of any context, just for the fiance thing alone.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1418753198156763137?s=19

Everything about that ai dead girlfriend thing is so ghoulish

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Azathoth posted:

that space has always been full of spooks but is being open about it a new thing?

don't recall anything else this ... blatant

yes, other than the year when snowden leaked his info, they've always had some high ranking us gov't official giving a big talk and doing other things

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

i mean i get there's some weird creepy aspects of this, but maybe read the article before tapping into the sweet sweet endorphin rush of someone else being a creep (this makes mocking their grief okay and you don't have to try to be funny or insightful or really have a personality to speak of either)

He is a creep and mocking his grief is cool and good, because he's a creep.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this story on AI is extremely funny. has it been posted yet?

quote:

One of us, Hilke, then applied for the position and completed interviews for the role on both MyInterview and Curious Thing.

Our candidate completed a phone interview with Curious Thing. She first did a regular job interview and received a 8.5 out of 9 for English competency. In a second try, the automated interviewer asked the same questions, and she responded to each by reading the Wikipedia entry for psychometrics in German.

Yet Curious Thing awarded her a 6 out of 9 for English competency. She completed the interview again and received the same score.

the transcript of her reading german is really funny too, the ai thought it was english

quote:

So humidity is desk a beat-up. Sociology, does it iron? Mined material nematode adapt. Secure location, mesons the first half gamma their Fortunes in for IMD and fact long on for pass along to Eurasia and Z this particular location mesons.

cutting edge! funniest of all is the CEO's reaction

quote:

This is the very first time that our system is being tested in German, therefore an extremely valuable data point for us to research into and see if it unveils anything in our system

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

lobster shirt posted:

the transcript of her reading german is really funny too, the ai thought it was english

Kind of want to do a spoken-word version of Prisencolinensinainciusol to that AI. (The song is nonsense words but it's meant to be what English sounds like to non-English-speakers.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1418922922689826817

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
To save you the click: @Tennessee

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

withak posted:

To save you the click: @Tennessee

The Darknet Diaries podcast did an episode on something similar to this…on Tuesday. Dude had a one word Instagram handle that someone wanted. Thankfully it only escalated to pizzas but the entire time I was listening to this I was waiting for a SWATting.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/64pnmA8mdXexAwDEQJzrde

E: Different assholes did hijack his cell phone number on two different occasions so even if you don’t listen, the takeaway is to set up a PIN with your cell provider and use something like Google Authenticator for 2FA if available.

goatsestretchgoals has issued a correction as of 18:21 on Jul 24, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Another guy got killed because someone owned someone in cod and gave the mad person a fake address so the mad guy called a service called swautistic and the cops lit up a rando at that address

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

yeah the cops shot an unarmed kid who walked out the door…at what was called in as a hostage situation

thats some good hostage rescuing

e: wasnt a kid but same idea holds

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Wichita_swatting

goatsestretchgoals has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Jul 24, 2021

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
if you're not willing to die for your twitter handle then maybe you shouldn't be on the net

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

someone is holding @fart at gunpoint right now

eat the eggs and this will be over

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh look, someone is gonna get charged with actual murder rather than attempted murder for swatting.

Also, Twitter better retire the guy’s account name.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh look, someone is gonna get charged with actual murder rather than attempted murder for swatting.

Also, Twitter better retire the guy’s account name.

At least a prosecutor will have to argue in court that any reasonable person would know that the cops are bloodthirsty maniacs who will kill based on hearsay

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

goatsestretchgoals posted:

yeah the cops shot an unarmed kid who walked out the door…at what was called in as a hostage situation

thats some good hostage rescuing

e: wasnt a kid but same idea holds

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Wichita_swatting

jfc the Parties Involved section

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I remember the news breaking but that article is so depressing, just seeing it all dissected like that. Didn't know a family member killed themselves afterward.

Lol this country is diseased

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

I remember the news breaking but that article is so depressing, just seeing it all dissected like that. Didn't know a family member killed themselves afterward.

Lol this country is diseased

The only solution anyone can think of is stiffer penalties for people doing the swatting; any sort of evaluation of the behavior of the police isn't even considered.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's kind of insane too that the callers got 5 years and the first guy got pretty much a slap on the wrist even though the intent was clear

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
just had a lovely brush with cyberpunk dystopia while trying to certify my weekly unemployment;
apparently they had suspended ID verification for a time and now they needed to verify me, so they send me to some third party website
the third party website can't read any of my documents despite them being crystal clear. at one point, it managed to get all the info it needed from my driver's license, then did a "selfie analysis" where, i poo poo you not, my dumb face was in the circle on the front facing cam of my phone for like 15 seconds while the phone turned various colors like the loving monolith from 2001. after that, it displayed the info it scraped, which had wrong characters in various parts, and failed to verify -again- and finally told me i'd need a manual verification from an agent.

cue 2hr40mn countdown to verification and a video call, finally get to the video call and have to show all the documents to some nice lady crammed into a giant sardine multi cube in a boiler room somewhere who verified my PAPERS PLEASE and now after a 2.5 hour odyssey i can continue the anxious life of being poor and trying to find a job with barely enough resources to get by

WOO.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

smarxist posted:

just had a lovely brush with cyberpunk dystopia while trying to certify my weekly unemployment;
apparently they had suspended ID verification for a time and now they needed to verify me, so they send me to some third party website
the third party website can't read any of my documents despite them being crystal clear. at one point, it managed to get all the info it needed from my driver's license, then did a "selfie analysis" where, i poo poo you not, my dumb face was in the circle on the front facing cam of my phone for like 15 seconds while the phone turned various colors like the loving monolith from 2001. after that, it displayed the info it scraped, which had wrong characters in various parts, and failed to verify -again- and finally told me i'd need a manual verification from an agent.

cue 2hr40mn countdown to verification and a video call, finally get to the video call and have to show all the documents to some nice lady crammed into a giant sardine multi cube in a boiler room somewhere who verified my PAPERS PLEASE and now after a 2.5 hour odyssey i can continue the anxious life of being poor and trying to find a job with barely enough resources to get by

WOO.

2021: The Unemployed Odyssey
That sucks and I'm sorry

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm good now, it's just... that feeling of like "oh god they're going to screw me over and i'm going to be one of the people that falls through the cracks and can't get help" sharpens to an insane point when crap like this pops up and basically all your flight or flight zips into the red

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i give thanks to the god of computer automation every morning as i wake, and pray for his mercy as i scan paper documents to offer up in sacrifice. i beg of you mighty computer, may your algorithms run for a thousands years unpatched, to bring forth from thy incomprehensible logic, actionable error codes with file upload

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Powered Descent posted:

Kind of want to do a spoken-word version of Prisencolinensinainciusol to that AI. (The song is nonsense words but it's meant to be what English sounds like to non-English-speakers.)
AWS transcribe certainly gives it a shot:

Hungary maybe gets the cover boss died.
Happened to Whoa!
Then the whole maybe gets to come upon diet.
It's the same way if your company seemed you never tell him now.

other people posted:

if you're not willing to die for your twitter handle then maybe you shouldn't be on the net
I will never play Final Fantasy Tactics

i did play FFTA long long ago, it was a decent distraction when i worked at a call center

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smarxist posted:

WOO.

some rear end in a top hat in California thread works for EDD and thinks I won't appeal my denial because I'm lazy lol. no motherfucker I just don't want to deal with your guys poo poo literally all day again. and then wait a few more months only to get a vague letter that says nothing. i was unemployed in the first week of December, didn't get a check until the end of March, and then my unemployment got denied after that one payment lol. so I just got a job since I'd burned through all my savings by that point anyway. the system works!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Parrish posted:

some rear end in a top hat in California thread works for EDD and thinks I won't appeal my denial because I'm lazy lol. no motherfucker I just don't want to deal with your guys poo poo literally all day again. and then wait a few more months only to get a vague letter that says nothing. i was unemployed in the first week of December, didn't get a check until the end of March, and then my unemployment got denied after that one payment lol. so I just got a job since I'd burned through all my savings by that point anyway. the system works!

:smith::hf::smith:

i love having access to the social safety net baby

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the best part is the id.me poo poo went exactly the same way and I had to hold up a DD214 for this lady who just kinda squinted and said yeah I can't read that at all but approved me anyway lol. i don't know why they couldn't just have her read the pdf file I already uploaded. and i had to print out a paper copy for them because apparently the state of California and their contractors are not aware that they don't issue paper dd214s anymore and the pdf is, in fact, the original copy. it has a signature token for a reason!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Alberta. I suffered a workplace injury in December 2018. Got my employment insurance money in early 2020. I found out while sitting in the dentist's chair that I had lost my health coverage and income support because the belated $4,000 from employment insurance put me over the $1,000 savings limit to get free health insurance.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Larry Parrish posted:

i got put on jobseekers after i was made redundant a few years ago, the UK equivalent of unemployment and administered by the angels at the DWP. you have to go in and "sign on" weekly for no reason but to embarrass you. i turned up a half hour early (i know the DWP) with a book, sat there politely until it was my appointment time, kept politely inquiring what was going on, oh, backlog, oh it will be soon, etc. an hour after my appointment time they finally realize, oh my god, miscommunication we're so sorry, this never happens, another appointment will be in the mail.

the next day i got a letter informing me that due to failure to attend my jobseeker appointment i was sanctioned (no money) for two weeks.

now i'm a shouty motherfucker and i know my rights and you better loving believe this ended with me getting my money, a formal complaint being filed and the next mercifully few times i had to come back before i got back into work mysteriously being seen to a few minutes before my appointment, go figure. if you are not a shouty motherfucker, if you've been beaten down by years or decades of this, if you are disabled or otherwise marginalized, you literally can starve to death.

makes me loving furious.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

smarxist posted:

WOO.

working as intended wont fix

e: sorry that was too flippant I wish you didnt have to deal with that

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

This is a $1,000 toaster oven that, in addition to the lovely touchscreen control, requires an app to use all of the oven's features. And the app is a subscription service that's $9.99 a month.

lol, just unplug it

https://twitter.com/ryfar/status/1418630606380961798?s=20

Nothus has issued a correction as of 17:07 on Jul 25, 2021

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Lead Acid Battery Restoration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I0IAwOIwXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l665eovBlEk

A Jupiter has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Jul 25, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nothus posted:

This is a $1,000 toaster oven that, in addition to the lovely touchscreen control, requires an app to use all of the oven's features. And the app is a subscription service that's $9.99 a month.

lol, just unplug it

https://twitter.com/ryfar/status/1418630606380961798?s=20

tesla oven

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If there's one thing touchscreens love it's being near heat constantly

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
unplug it and then hit it with a hammer.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

*Scrum Master-ishly* - "Is it really a P0 when there's a manual workaround..?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

smarxist posted:

WOO.

i did this and the SELFIE ANALYSIS verified me the first try

you're black right? should have rethought that choice before trying to use a facial recognition thing