Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I want to make aglio e olio some time soon. I made penne all’arrabbiata the other night and it was really good. I cooked the tomatoes a fair bit longer than the 10 minutes he suggests in the video but I think they also probably weren't as sweet as the one he used. And obviously used penne rather than the fancy Sicilian pasta.
https://www.vincenzosplate.com/recipe-items/arrabbiata-sauce/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl9CfA1jnZ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somebodyelse
Jul 20, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjBu6ur5EI8

I bought this fellows book maybe a year ago and this is the first thing I made, so drat good. The lentils featured became my stand in for rice for quite a while...

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Tonight I made a veganised version of this Mocha self-saucing pudding (soy milk, vegan butter substitute, and vegan chocolate). It was incredibly easy, and so bloody good.

Lady Disdain fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 17, 2021

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3zs76WmYdk

I've lately enjoyed a vegan version of Kenji's keema matar recipe. The meat is out obviously and I've replaced it with textured soy protein. I use two deciliters of tsp (the kind that looks like ground beef) and reserve 5 deciliters of stock (bouillon is fine) with a hit of soy sauce and liquid smoke for the liquid. The textured soy is added dry after the ginger-garlic-chili paste and it will soak up all of the fat. I add the ground spices and sorta dry roast it for a bit before starting to add the stock little at a time. Tomatoes go in after about the first deciliter of stock. I continue adding the stock until the consistency is good. In my experience just dumping in all of the stock at once makes the texture of the soy dry. Using soy instead of meat cuts a lot of the fat from the dish but I've found it rich enough despite that. Cheap, tasty and pretty quick to make.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Someone gave me Isa Chandra's cookbook "I Can Cook Vegan" as a gift so I made the baingan bharta recipe and I really didn't like it! She puts curry powder and agave in it? :confused: It tasted really off. I even asked one of my friends who grew up in India whether she's ever had this with curry or agave and she said no. I vaguely remember Isa sneaking sweetener and curry into random dishes on Post Punk Kitchen.

Next I made this baingan bharta https://www.cookwithmanali.com/baingan-bharta/. Very simple (no curry powder or agave). Roasting eggplants over the open flame actually went quicker than roasting in the oven and the flavor was 1000% better. It was incredible. Better tasting than any I've ever had. It also freezes well. I'm going to be making loads of this if I get brave enough to fire roast the eggplants on multiple burners at once.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Indian cooking does not use curry powder for Indian food. If a recipe uses it, I would distrust the source of that recipe. There are plenty of recipes in the Indian thread if you're interested in more.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

What's curry powder? Is that garam masala?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
"Curry powder" unqualified usually means somethings like this. (So, not, not garam masala.) But it means various things in various contexts and it is a very vague term. I'm not sure I've even seen it for sale in India, and anyways it's used in effectively zero recipes. Nearby Sri Lanka does use various curry powders pretty often, from what I can tell, although their mixes are somewhat different than the typical mix in generic "curry powder" that you'd get at a typical store in most countries. The two main types of Sri Lankan curry powder are "roasted" and "unroasted/raw" and as you can imagine that is based on whether the spices are roasted pre-grind.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Indian cooking does not use curry powder for Indian food. If a recipe uses it, I would distrust the source of that recipe. There are plenty of recipes in the Indian thread if you're interested in more.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

"Curry powder" unqualified usually means somethings like this. (So, not, not garam masala.) But it means various things in various contexts and it is a very vague term. I'm not sure I've even seen it for sale in India, and anyways it's used in effectively zero recipes. Nearby Sri Lanka does use various curry powders pretty often, from what I can tell, although their mixes are somewhat different than the typical mix in generic "curry powder" that you'd get at a typical store in most countries. The two main types of Sri Lankan curry powder are "roasted" and "unroasted/raw" and as you can imagine that is based on whether the spices are roasted pre-grind.

Very informative. Thank you. I will check out that other thread!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Curry powder is a fabulous way to ruin Indian food. But it adds a really nice something to vegetable soups.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Even though I grew up with Indian friends I never knew how they made their garam masala.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Now that I'm older I've been inadvertently making knockoff curry powder for my weekend shakshouka. :haw:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Curry powder owns and is fine.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zenithe posted:

Curry powder owns and is fine.

Agreed, it seems okay if you just want an "all purpose" type seasoning to toss into a dish. Although I would certainly not base the entire dish around it.

I'll toss in something like the picture below when i'm looking to add a bit more flavor in a dish or marinade.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Can anybody provide guidance on how to add fat to seitan? I've been experimenting with making vegan gyro meat and, while I can easily work on the spicing, the texture isn't what I want: the seitan is just too lean. I've been frying slices to put in the gyros, which is okay but not quite what I want. From what I can tell, adding more fat (olive or coconut oil) will make the mixture hard/crunchy. I'm wondering if I poach or confit the seitan in oil, maybe that will do the trick?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Can anybody provide guidance on how to add fat to seitan? I've been experimenting with making vegan gyro meat and, while I can easily work on the spicing, the texture isn't what I want: the seitan is just too lean. I've been frying slices to put in the gyros, which is okay but not quite what I want. From what I can tell, adding more fat (olive or coconut oil) will make the mixture hard/crunchy. I'm wondering if I poach or confit the seitan in oil, maybe that will do the trick?

Sauce Stache has a technique where he adds coconut oil to a portion of the seitan that's only partly finished being kneaded (the "fat"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmRu-RuTmf8

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Mister Facetious posted:

Sauce Stache has a technique where he adds coconut oil to a portion of the seitan that's only partly finished being kneaded (the "fat"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmRu-RuTmf8

I've never seen his videos before, but that's a great technique. Thanks!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Just wondering if any of ya'll had some ideas for using enoki to replace surimi in California rolls. Between the seasoned rice and sushi dipping sauce, it's hard to taste the mock crab in them anyway. Figured it'd be an easy substitution. Should I steam them? Pan fry? I barely use mushrooms to begin with, but I wanted to do tempura today.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 30, 2021

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

You barely need to cook

Mister Facetious posted:

Just wondering if any of ya'll had some ideas for using enoki to replace surimi in California rolls. Between the seasoned rice and sushi dipping sauce, it's hard to taste the mock crab in them anyway. Figured it'd be an easy substitution. Should I steam them? Pan fry? I barely use mushrooms to begin with, but I wanted to do tempura today.

You barely need to cook enoki mushrooms. For sushi, I’d probably just blanch them. Or just eat them raw, for a little more texture!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

About halfway through meal prep for myself and my son this week, and well, I feel like sharing pictures of my not at all photogenic food because why not.

Black eyed peas and greens from this recipe. I used kale instead of spinach because son is allergic to spinach, and kale specifically because work had some slightly sad looking bags of prechopped marked down from $2 a bag to $.75 a bag. Also regular paprika instead of smoked because I'm cheap. Gonna have it with some nice crusty roasted garlic bread I also found at work.

Sticky orange tofu and rice from here. Soy sauce immediately turned it from a pale orange to brown, but it's still tasty so don't care. Tofu also kinda broke apart a bit because I was a tad too vigorous with the spatula, but again, don't care.

Still have enchiladas and waffles to make, but meh. It can wait a minute, I'm taking a sit down.

ETA:

Enchiladas and waffles finally loving done.

These are the black bean enchiladas and cumin roasted sweet potatoes, both from Budget Bites. I would have used corn tortillas, but we was out at work, so welp.

The brownie waffles from Veganomicon. My dumb rear end somehow entirely forgot to add the salt while mixing it up, but it turned out okay anyway, if a lil burnt in spots. We're eating it with a bit of Silk Vanilla soy yogurt on top, because it works better than syrup with the chocolate brownie tastes of them.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 3, 2021

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

A lot of the food I eat is also not very photogenic. My go to packed meal is: rice, potato, jalapeno, avocado, whatever vegetables are in the fridge, beans, and olive oil. In fact, if I'm busy, I'll eat that for every meal. My wife is middle eastern / korean so when she has a say it's usually either of those types of food.

Is your son vegan too?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

He just recently went vegan with me as of this past week. I have been for about two months now. I have done some treat stuff too, like we did ice cream sundaes one day (I work at a Kroger, and can say their Simple Truth almond milk ice cream is preeeeetty good).

Surprisingly, his favorite of this week wasn't the waffles, which is what I was expecting. No, it was....the sticky orange tofu. I was quite shocking, given his usual tastes. The enchiladas are the least favorite, so they're leaving as an option for weekly plans. My plan for this coming week is chocolate muffins, the smokey grilled tempeh from Veganomicon with a potato salad and cornbread, chickpea loaf with the Veganomicon collard greens (that use the marinade from the smokey tempeh), and a quinoa lemon artichoke salad.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Felt inspired and took a picture of my breakfast. It's just leftovers from the last couple of days. Rice, avocado, Japanese sweet potato, sweet potato, tempeh, olive oil and salt.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Here's what I made for dinner last night.
A galette of roasted beetroot and sweet potato, and caremalised onion, cabbage and cannellini beans. I served it with steamed veg.
The process was an absolute bastard; the pastry just wasn't working for me last night. The end result was absolutely delicious, though; I'll be making it again soon.

And for pudding, this very unphotogenic gibanica-inspired cherry and cardamom pie. It didn't taste nearly as cherry-y as I'd've liked, but it tasted pretty good, and I'm pleased with the texture and the way it set.

And now, I'm in the middle of making kimchi fried rice for tonight.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Those both look delicious!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Thanks.

Does anyone have suggestions for what to do with sauerkraut ? I usually turn it into byrek (filo pie) (which is what I'll end up doing this time as well unless I think of something else). I have 400 grams of live-culture spicy sauerkraut in the fridge. It's winter here, so something hot would be ideal.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Lady Disdain posted:

Thanks.

Does anyone have suggestions for what to do with sauerkraut ? I usually turn it into byrek (filo pie) (which is what I'll end up doing this time as well unless I think of something else). I have 400 grams of live-culture spicy sauerkraut in the fridge. It's winter here, so something hot would be ideal.

Shchi (Russian cabbage soup) is hearty and delicious. I especially love the sour version, made with sauerkraut. There are tons of recipes online for vegan versions; here’s one but it’s about the least fiddly dish ever, so you can do what you want:

https://www.theppk.com/2012/10/sauerkraut-mushroom-soup-shchi/

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Mmm, I love a sour soup ! That looks great; I think I'll make it next weekend. Thanks.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Might be a bit boring, but I love sauerkraut in hot dogs.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Thanks, but hot dogs really aren't my thing. Are they really a thing anywhere outside the US ?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Lady Disdain posted:

Thanks, but hot dogs really aren't my thing. Are they really a thing anywhere outside the US ?

I don't eat fake meat. But in both my wife's home country and my own hot dogs are popular. She's from north africa, and I'm from the carribean.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Oh interesting.
Supermarkets here (Australia) sell "hotdog buns," but I've never actually heard of anyone eating hotdogs, except as a novelty.

somebodyelse
Jul 20, 2013

Lady Disdain posted:

Oh interesting.
Supermarkets here (Australia) sell "hotdog buns," but I've never actually heard of anyone eating hotdogs, except as a novelty.

Also from Aus! I did in my childhood a couple decades ago but that was down to my dad who bought them because it just needed a little boiling and he couldn't cook for squat. Sure as hell didn't buy the specific buns though.

I threw this together today, I hadn't thought about frying enoki mushrooms before. more fool me

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lady Disdain posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/dec/03/oslo-norway-syverkiosken-hot-dog-kiosk-street-food

sure are

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Available everywhere in sweden too.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Huh. Turns out I'm the weirdo.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Yeah I know my suggestion wasn't as amazing as the food we see in this thread :) I'm in Quebec, and here hot-dogs are very much part of the culture and a summer staple. Sauerkraut is very rare here and pretty much only seen with hot-dogs, but thinking of it non-fermented cabbage salad is the norm. Some of the fake sausages available locally are pretty good, but I know this thread isn't for that.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Sauerkraut pierogis are a traditional Polish rib-sticking dish. Pretty easy to veganize if you’re comfortable with vegan dough. This (kraut & mushrooms) looks good:

https://www.zuckerjagdwurst.com/en/recipes/vegane-polnische-piroggen-mit-sauerkraut-and-pilzen

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Mmm, pierogis are tempting. I made some blueberry pierogis a while ago, that worked out pretty well.

Devixil
Aug 9, 2021

Hey all! This was a meal I was really proud of, especially because I usually do bulk slow cooker/pressure cooker meal preps, so the visual appeal of my dishes usually boils down to various shades of off-brown mush. But I had a bunch of veg/herbs from my garden ready to go, so figured I'd give them a special treatment!

Garden-grown broccoli topped with basil-garnished tomato sauce, with Ezekiel bread globbed with babaganoush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That looks really wonderful !