Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Disco Pope posted:

Spoiling stuff isn't great, but it takes on an extra dimension online where your knowledge becomes clout, and you've short circuited the clout economy if you know something someone who invests heavily in being a fan doesn't.

This is really well put. It feels vaguely gatekeeping in a way. Nobody can hear about this piece of media unless they themselves put in the time to consume it.

If knowing that say, an actor appears in the next episode of your favourite show ruins that episode of the show for you, were you really enjoying that show in the first place? It just gets especially annoying in a workplace or social situations. A lot of these people just seem to want to pick fights over some nebulous idea of a "pure" viewing experience rather than out of genuine concern about the enjoyment of a media property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The TV series Babylon 5 has a fair amount of foreshadowing in early episodes, and I've seen people advocate watching some episodes out of order because they think that's spoilers. That's taking it a bit too far.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Yes I am. I explained exactly how in my earlier post. I just want to be able to have a normal loving conversation about a TV show I've watched without dickheads pissing and moaning about inconsequential "spoilers".

If you're that bothered by or incapable of checking how far they got into a series then that's entirely on you, and if you're incapable of talking about something without spoiling it then that's definitely something you should work on. Maybe if they haven't seen it yet talk about something else or find someone who has if you absolutely must talk about it?

This is pretty basic social interaction stuff.

Like, the vast majority of people manage to do that just fine, so I don't really know what to tell you.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

One of the best qualities of my buddy at work was that we could talk about stuff and both be spoiling poo poo and neither of us cared, we just recommended and talked about good shows and stuff without worrying about it

In fact nobody ever cared, but this was working in a warehouse so maybe the demo is just that different

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think part of the (mostly performative) confusion is there's a difference between "spoils the surprise" and "ruins the show". I got a chunk of Loki spoiled for me, I still enjoyed it so the show wasn't "ruined" but I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't known some stuff was coming.

Beartaco posted:

If knowing that say, an actor appears in the next episode of your favourite show ruins that episode of the show for you, were you really enjoying that show in the first place?
Like, this is such an inane statement I refuse to believe you're being sincere.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I like it when people are mindful of spoiling plot content and in turn I try to be similarly mindful

Im sorry for my controversial opinion on spoiler culture

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Generally I don't care about spoilers in stuff like movies. I do care when it comes to professional wrestling. On my discord server, we follow a 24 hour rule for all events, and use spoiler tags for match results or surprise appearances within that 24 hour window. We don't spoiler details "oh this was said to be a great match" or "I hear there's a really sick ladder spot in this one" or whatever. After 24 hours anything goes unless someone specifically says they'd like extra time to watch something.

Anyways between decades old episodes of Star Trek and professional wrestling that's 95+% of the media I consume.

Sometimes I even seek out spoilers before I watch a thing. Sometimes it's more enjoyable knowing what's going to happen, although I'm not sure why.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

My favorite story about spoilers was the end of Voyager. I never watched the show, but I knew the general concept of the show, i.e. starship trying to get home. My boss comes in to work on the day of the final ep, and comes in all jazzed "Final ep! WOOOO!". Without knowing anything about the show, I go "Spoiler; they get home!". He completely loses his poo poo, and despite the fact that I let him know I don't know what actually happens and haven't see the show, and what the hell did he think was going to happen in a show about people trying to get back to earth, he was almost in tears. Like, how spoiler-averse and dense do you have to be to have never even entertained the concept that a show about a starship trying to get back to earth.... gets back to earth?! Did he think it was going just be another ep of the week where they just keep moseying along while Janeway destroys another planet to get their coffee, and that would be it?

Lmao.

Hellblazer187 has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Jul 25, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
People blame each other for this, but streaming has put pressure on viewers to be fully caught up which (of course) benefits streamers and is stressful as gently caress. I'd hazard that screenwriting itself has changed to accommodate and exacerbate this anxiety in viewers. Put it this way: you could watch almost any Marvel film or show without seeing the others, but Disney/Marvel Studios sure are adept at making it *feel* like you have to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 or whatever to get the next film.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FFT posted:

in the elder scrolls 5: skyrim, you acquire an elder scroll

That one is actually kinda a spoiler, because you don't acquire an elder scroll as part of the main storyline in the first 4 Elder Scrolls games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Disco Pope posted:

People blame each other for this, but streaming has put pressure on viewers to be fully caught up which (of course) benefits streamers and is stressful as gently caress. I'd hazard that screenwriting itself has changed to accommodate and exacerbate this anxiety in viewers. Put it this way: you could watch almost any Marvel film or show without seeing the others, but Disney/Marvel Studios sure are adept at making it *feel* like you have to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 or whatever to get the next film.

I see this extreme spoiler aversion more for shows that aired years ago rather than modern shows

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Skwirl posted:

That one is actually kinda a spoiler, because you don't acquire an elder scroll as part of the main storyline in the first 4 Elder Scrolls games.

Which one do you get to rim the sky in

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

ultrafilter posted:

The TV series Babylon 5 has a fair amount of foreshadowing in early episodes, and I've seen people advocate watching some episodes out of order because they think that's spoilers. That's taking it a bit too far.

What the gently caress

This is like telling someone to rip out page 5 of a murder mystery novel because it tells you in a side scene that the killer injured his hand, so when you meet the aristocrat on page 120 with a bandaged hand you'll know he's the killer! It was a red herring, the aristocrat cut his hand gardening

waffleman
Aug 5, 2007

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY
it really ties the nation together
Some of you are laughably tied to the mass media you consume. Spoiler alert, this derail goes on for like 5 more pages of people trying to make someone saying "Darth Vader's his father" into an excuse to be like "just seems like basic socialization maybe you should work on yourself".

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Morrowind, because if you know what you're doing you can craft a potion in the first half hour that lets you jump really, really high.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

learnincurve posted:

Spoiler guide as written by me just now.

Has the person watched the show yet?

Yes. Fine, talk about the show
No….

Are they planning to?

Yes. Shut the gently caress up about the show until they have had a chance to watch it.
No. Talk about the show, but only the first bit in case they decide to watch it because of what you are telling them.
This is exactly the rules I'm complaining about. It essentially translates to "do not discuss media in public" and it's loving ridiculous. If you care about spoilers, watch the drat show in a timely fashion.

learnincurve posted:

Remember to avoid talking about the bits you would have been monumentally pissed off about if someone has spoilered for you yourself.
Oh, so I can talk about all of it then? It's just entertainment; who gives a poo poo?

Splicer posted:

You're having a tangential conversation with yourself almost entirely unrelated to the post you were replying to. We're talking about not dropping spoilers where people who don't want to see spoilers will probably stumble on them. This does not meaningfully inconvenience you.
I'm talking about having conversations on social media and in-person in front of other people, ie. the places where people talk about tv shows and movies. Again, this rule basically translates to "do not discuss media in public".

Taeke posted:

if you're incapable of talking about something without spoiling it then that's definitely something you should work on.
Literally everything counts as a spoiler to these people. You cannot mention an inconsequential event from the first five minutes of episode one without being shushed for "spoiling" it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I see this extreme spoiler aversion more for shows that aired years ago rather than modern shows
Yeah, I've been criticised (recently) for "spoiling" a show that finished several years ago. And no, it wasn't a plot twist or anything, just a thing that happened in the show, during its run.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

waffleman posted:

Some of you are laughably tied to the mass media you consume. Spoiler alert, this derail goes on for like 5 more pages of people trying to make someone saying "Darth Vader's his father" into an excuse to be like "just seems like basic socialization maybe you should work on yourself".

Thank god your here to tell us you aren’t that.

Not to brag, but everyone should know

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
While I'll never ever discuss a twist in a new piece of media openly (and even try to avoid it for older works where the twist matters) it's really loving weird how genre illiterate some people are. Like, "Batman beats the Joker" is never a spoiler but "The Joker is actually Thomas Wayne (or whatever)" is.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

post itt the last spoiler that actually pissed you off

spoiler tags optional

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Inceltown posted:

Content Warning: Post

we already have a smilie for that: :itwaspoo:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brawnfire posted:

All of them, probably

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Disco Pope posted:

While I'll never ever discuss a twist in a new piece of media openly (and even try to avoid it for older works where the twist matters) it's really loving weird how genre illiterate some people are. Like, "Batman beats the Joker" is never a spoiler but "The Joker is actually Thomas Wayne (or whatever)" is.

Whoa there I haven't seen Robert Pattinson's semenal portrayal of The Batman yet

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

hawowanlawow posted:

spoiler tags optional

It’s not recent, but I told a friend that I’d bought The Prestige and was really looking forward to it, and without a moments hesitation she told me how much she enjoyed the [huge twist]. It wasn’t even on purpose, but yeah thanks for that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

hawowanlawow posted:

spoiler tags optional

When I was about 12 my dad gave me the campion book the Tiger in the Smoke to read, this series being widely thought of as one of the top 5 mystery series of all time. That book is at the tail end of the series and spoilers every single campion novel that comes before it.

I did not know this till I started to read the series in order. That was a early lesson in what an absolute callous psycho bastard my dad is when it comes to spoilers and 30 years later I have never forgiven him for it and I get freshly pissed off every single time I think of it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Disco Pope posted:

The joker is actually (BIG SPOILERS FOR EVERY BATMAN MOVIE) Alfred.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Anytime something I want to see comes out, youtube immediately fills with screaming thumbnails and titles spoiling every bit and I hate it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think it was when I looked something up about The Expanse (TV) and got spoiled by a wiki for The Expanse (Novel series)

Although what I read has not yet come to pass and, obviously might not happen the same way. So, idk. I also wasn't mad, I just felt like an idiot for breaking my own google rules.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my wife always spoils the reality shows we watch by looking up the cast members' Instagrams to see what they're up to. at a certain point you have to stop getting mad, because the spoiler is always the same: they're in jail

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

if it's sent to me as a push notification from netflix it isn't a spoiler

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

hawowanlawow posted:

spoiler tags optional

Probably the only one that pissed me off is when FYAD changed its name and appeared in the subforums list as HAN SOLO DIES. But that may or may not actually count as pissing me off, since I figured they were just shitposting until I actually got to that scene in the movie, suddenly remembered it, and went "well, poo poo." (The spoiler sting was also lessened by the movie not really being all that good.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

flavor.flv posted:

That's for Homestuck survivors

We did not survive. We only endured.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I refuse to believe you think that's a good article.

A) It spoils a bunch of random poo poo. Even if you agree with it, that's just so loving petty and embarassing.
2) It's based entirely on one survey about short stories, and the author's personal opinion. You had the sense to use the word "might." The article does not.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Probably the only one that pissed me off is when FYAD changed its name and appeared in the subforums list as HAN SOLO DIES. But that may or may not actually count as pissing me off, since I figured they were just shitposting until I actually got to that scene in the movie, suddenly remembered it, and went "well, poo poo." (The spoiler sting was also lessened by the movie not really being all that good.)

yeah that reminds me of one I saw from game of thrones that I chalked up as bullshit, but it was also kind of believable so I had it in the back of my mind. someone posted that Brienne of Tarth gets hung like a common criminal for killing Stannis. in retrospect I don't think even GoT would pull that poo poo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Martman posted:

I think you might have missed some stuff, but I don't want to spoil it for you

:perfect:

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Tiggum posted:

This is exactly the rules I'm complaining about. It essentially translates to "do not discuss media in public" and it's loving ridiculous. If you care about spoilers, watch the drat show in a timely fashion.

Oh, so I can talk about all of it then? It's just entertainment; who gives a poo poo?[/b]

I'm talking about having conversations on social media and in-person in front of other people, ie. the places where people talk about tv shows and movies. Again, this rule basically translates to "do not discuss media in public".

Literally everything counts as a spoiler to these people. You cannot mention an inconsequential event from the first five minutes of episode one without being shushed for "spoiling" it.[/b]

Yeah, I've been criticised (recently) for "spoiling" a show that finished several years ago. And no, it wasn't a plot twist or anything, just a thing that happened in the show, during its run.

I'm really having a hard time believing that you're being genuine about this. More than like half of this post is just hyperbolic strawman bullshit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Grimdude posted:

I'm really having a hard time believing that you're being genuine about this. More than like half of this post is just hyperbolic strawman bullshit.

a rule in tviv literally that if say Fox advertises what's going to happen on The Simpsons (guest star, zany hijinks, whatever) you have to spoil it. there are actual rules that no you cannot discuss any small thing that isn't going to ruin the show on these very forums

edit: there was a QCS thread trying to get sitewide spoiler rules put in place

Len has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Jul 25, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah if you believe that’s straw man you’ve never been in TVIV

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I refuse to believe you think that's a good article.

A) It spoils a bunch of random poo poo. Even if you agree with it, that's just so loving petty and embarassing.
2) It's based entirely on one survey about short stories, and the author's personal opinion. You had the sense to use the word "might." The article does not.

It spoils one thing in a 1995 Kevin Spacey movie, what are you talking about? Besides, I don't think a plot detail is what you should be concerned about when it comes to ruining the works of Mr Spacey.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Len posted:

a rule in tviv literally that if say Fox advertises what's going to happen on The Simpsons (guest star, zany hijinks, whatever) you have to spoil it. there are actual rules that no you cannot discuss any small thing that isn't going to ruin the show on these very forums

I'm sorry that happened to you; that sounds incredibly painful. There are places on the internet where you can comment on Simpsons trailers, I'm sure of it. Stay strong.

E:

Beartaco posted:

It spoils one thing in a 1995 Kevin Spacey movie, what are you talking about? Besides, I don't think a plot detail is what you should be concerned about when it comes to ruining the works of Mr Spacey.

Ok, fair enough. I stopped reading it at that point and just scrolled down to see the figure I was expecting. That's less bad, but the survey still sucks.

E2: That's a bit reductive; the survey is just fine, the article's conclusion based on said survey is what sucks.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Jul 25, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hawowanlawow posted:

my wife always spoils the reality shows we watch by looking up the cast members' Instagrams to see what they're up to. at a certain point you have to stop getting mad, because the spoiler is always the same: they're in jail

That seems like a greatly enhancing experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm sorry that happened to you; that sounds incredibly painful. There are places on the internet where you can comment on Simpsons trailers, I'm sure of it. Stay strong.

You can also just not post if your that scared of spoilers.

hosed up but true