Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

When do I start actually using these materia slots in my gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regalingualius posted:

When do I start actually using these materia slots in my gear?

Level 80

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So no sense in worrying about how many slots my level 20 self gets, then? :v:

Also, is there some kind of disenchanting system/job?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yes, you need the relevant crafter jobs unlocked and leveled a bit though.

Also wrt materia there's no reason not to use it for crafters or gatherers if you have it ahead of time, if your FC chest has anything VI or below it's all 100% removal chance and you're never synced so you never lose the stats. Not much need to go out of your way it buy it anything though.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
What class should I be choosing starting out as a complete noob?

I default to gladiator who is the first one on the list but then learnt that it's a tank class which is not noob friendly especially in group content. Should I delete my current character and reroll as a dps such as thamurtage or lancer instead?

Also, I landed into this huge desert city and am completely lost on what to do next. There's just so many systems that it's completely overwhelming.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tanking is honestly pretty beginner friendly, you just turn on your tank stance and you'll keep aggro with no trouble whatsoever, and they have simpler damage rotations than actual DPS classes. There's also a tutorial zone that will teach you the basics of tanking before you start your first dungeon. Secondly, there's no need to delete your character, one character can level every class, and you unlock the ability to grab and level other classes before you get into your first dungeon.

As for what to do, just follow the main story quest (the quests that have the meteor icon), as well as your class quests (you'll get sent off to your class trainer at a certain point and just need to return to them every 5 levels). There should also be a popup in the top left telling you where the next main story quest is. Stuff will get explained to you as you go and there's no need to do side stuff to level, unless you want to. The MSQ by itself will give enough EXP.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

shoc77 posted:

What class should I be choosing starting out as a complete noob?

I default to gladiator who is the first one on the list but then learnt that it's a tank class which is not noob friendly especially in group content. Should I delete my current character and reroll as a dps such as thamurtage or lancer instead?

Also, I landed into this huge desert city and am completely lost on what to do next. There's just so many systems that it's completely overwhelming.

90% of the dungeons up to level 50 just require you to keep aggro and point the boss away from everyone else. As long as you have your tanking stance on and hit the adds when they spawn in, you're fine and can learn as you go. If you end up not liking it, however, switching classes is extremely easy (all of the original classes can be switched to once you hit level 10, though expansion classes need higher levels) and you get a double XP buff for leveling classes that are below your highest class level so no need to make a new character

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

MinorRed posted:

How does dyeing and glamours work? If I dye a piece before putting it in the dresser will it retain the dye?

Answered, but to expand on it a little. This is handy for the more expensive dyes like pure white/black, or the metallic ones; you can always re-color the item on an individual plate if you want, but it's default state will be they dyed version you put in to the dresser.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Is housing a worthwhile goal later in the game, or is it merely a gill sink?

also, do different classes gain HP at different levels? If i switch my arcanist over to say, gladiator for a while, will that buff my HP up?

Cimber fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 25, 2021

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You have separate hp pools per class. No cross classing there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

housing doesnt really offer any gameplay advantages that you cant get from a capital city, its just convenience. that said houses have physical space and there are a limited amount of them so they can be hard to get. you can also get an apartment though.

also, that isnt how the class system works. nothing you do on one class will affect any other class, they're entirely separate. you can get to level 7 as an arcanist, switch to level 1-80 as a gladiator/paladin and then switch back to arcanist and your arcanist will have exactly the same stats as when you switched. there used to be some crossclass stuff but it got weeded out more and more over time until it was completely removed.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Endorph posted:

also, that isnt how the class system works. nothing you do on one class will affect any other class, they're entirely separate. you can get to level 7 as an arcanist, switch to level 1-80 as a gladiator/paladin and then switch back to arcanist and your arcanist will have exactly the same stats as when you switched. there used to be some crossclass stuff but it got weeded out more and more over time until it was completely removed.

Not completely, you can use 5 miner skills as a botanist and vice versa!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Cimber posted:

Is housing a worthwhile goal later in the game, or is it merely a gill sink?

Housing is a thing you do if you enjoy playing fantasy interior decorator to make your own cozy space. Don't start with a house, start by buying an apartment or a room in an FC house first. That lets you try out the furnishing system when you have a couple 100k to spare.

If that single room experience makes you think "why yes I am now brimming with inspiration and would like to spend several million gil and hours on doing this thing on a larger and more varied scale" then start looking into houses.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/redditFFXIV/status/1419203968606035971?s=20

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It's obvious to me when an ability can be interrupted but they should probably make it a completely different color, like a flashing electric blue with a little exclamation point or something. I always hear people saying they had no idea an incoming attack was interruptible.

That said I don't think there's any cleaner way for them to communicate "you can cleanse this debuff" than what they already have.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
just make the enemy's cast bar centered on your screen and huge. it's good to learn the names of attacks since they'll often be repeated during bosses, allowing you know what's coming ahead of time.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Chillgamesh posted:

It's obvious to me when an ability can be interrupted but they should probably make it a completely different color, like a flashing electric blue with a little exclamation point or something. I always hear people saying they had no idea an incoming attack was interruptible.

There might be more confusion around stunning versus interrupting. Interruptible abilities, the ones with a special indicator that something like Silence will only work on, are used sparingly on bosses. (I'd like to see more of them, honestly. I think it's a design tool they could do more with.) Meanwhile, anything that isn't immune to stuns will have any of their abilities interrupted by one, whether it has a special bar or not. There are more dungeon bosses vulnerable to a stun than you might expect, especially in the ARR dungeons.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So when do you get mounts?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Regalingualius posted:

So when do you get mounts?

When you get to the proper point in the main sequence quest. The quest itself is level 20.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

sweet geek swag posted:

When you get to the proper point in the main sequence quest. The quest itself is level 20.

After you get the chocobo mount there are no restrictions on level for mounts, if you can obtain the mount item, you can get the mount. So if you say, won the Jumbo Cactpot or bought expansions special editions you could get several mounts immediately.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Ah, the one thing I really hated about this game. The weird character creation 'time' per server thing. Guess I'll wake myself up at like 5:30AM and make my character.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

How you play the game is up to you, but I unironically recommend for all players going through the story to try and complete all the 'good content' in one expansion before moving onto the next one.

By this I mean:
- All the optional dungeons
- All the 8-man raids
- All the 24-man raids (you're forced to do the ARR one)
- Optional NPC quests

Basically, if it's a blue quest and it's not an unlock for a job you don't care about or a relic weapon grind, you should do it.

They almost all have interesting lore and stuff to do in them, and you'll have a better time with the game if you chill and enjoy everything each expansion has to offer instead of mainlining the story and potentially setting yourself up for disappointment if you end up not liking it or finding it overhyped.

I don't expect any newbie to get there too fast, but the optional dungeons and trials that are unlocked at the end of Stormblood are some of the most fun content in the game and it's easily missable if you never do the optional blue quest that sends you to the starting dungeon for it.

Also, having done every dungeon/trial/raid means you'll have a larger pool to select from when doing roulettes.

Experienced players doing roulettes also love people doing the more optional dungeons since we don't get to see them as often. Getting to do Pharos Sirius - or even rarer, Pharos Sirius (Hard) - is a delight compared to running Stone Vigil Hard for the twentieth time.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 26, 2021

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Ive put every single crafting material ive ever picked up into my retainers and now i dont have any space

I figured I would get into crafting at some point in the far future, should I just vendor it all or is it worth keeping

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Miles O'Brian posted:

Ive put every single crafting material ive ever picked up into my retainers and now i dont have any space

I figured I would get into crafting at some point in the far future, should I just vendor it all or is it worth keeping

If you're on the free trial and don't have access to the market board I would unironically say chuck it, you won't need most of those odds and ends to level crafting unless you're obsessive about filling in your crafting log.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I bought the game a couple of weeks into the trial as I was enjoying it so much, I'm currently doing the heavensward level 60 content

Ill vendor all the stuff, thanks

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
As a paladin I want the shields that have high block value and low block odds, instead of the balanced shields, because I can use paladin moves to juke block odds to 100% anyway, is that correct?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/redditFFXIV/status/1419385161716797444

SuperKlaus posted:

As a paladin I want the shields that have high block value and low block odds, instead of the balanced shields, because I can use paladin moves to juke block odds to 100% anyway, is that correct?

Block values are a leftover relic from 1.0. Ultimately, those stats don't really matter and they become normalized in Heavensward. Grab the highest level shield you can equip.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Miles O'Brian posted:

I bought the game a couple of weeks into the trial as I was enjoying it so much, I'm currently doing the heavensward level 60 content

Ill vendor all the stuff, thanks

If you have access to the MB then chuck them on the market board so you can get slightly more than vendortrash prices for them.

You can actually make a decent profit this way because a lot of stuff on the MB is sold in stacks of 99 which most people don't actually need if they're just levelling crafting. So if you're seeing a stack of 99 on sale for 9900, you can probably just throw a stack of 10 for 2000 because the person who wants it only wants the ten and will pay the 'cheaper' one time price.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So do all of the Arcanist’s pets have roughly the same passive damage, and the main difference between them is what the 30 second CD does for each one?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

So do all of the Arcanist’s pets have roughly the same passive damage, and the main difference between them is what the 30 second CD does for each one?

Emerald Carbuncle does AOE with its auto attacks, which really adds up when fighting big packs of dungeon trash, but they're much weaker. For single-target you want to use the other one (or Ifrit once you become a summoner).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

No, Emerald's autoattacks are AOE so it's good for multiple enemies, especially in dungeons. The other two are single target and do the same autodamage, tho.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
I don't think I saw this mentioned but if you get your class to level 30 you cannot pick up its job until you've gotten through a sufficient amount of the main story quest (it's a Level 20 quest called Sylph-management). It's mostly something nice to know for those who start on preferred servers and rapidly outlevel the MSQ.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Hitting that choke point was actually my big realization of, "Hey, you can just focus on the MSQ, don't worry about those sidequests for now," when I first came to FFXIV during the SB lull before the ShB release. I managed to hit level 30 GLA before getting the quests to leave Ul'dah.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

No, Emerald's autoattacks are AOE so it's good for multiple enemies, especially in dungeons. The other two are single target and do the same autodamage, tho.

I found the Emerald Carbuncle a bit annoying to use out in the world because it used its AOE indiscriminately and it would frequently damage a nearby neutral critter and pull it into the fight. Although that character is now a Scholar so I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I'm also playing a Warrior (yes, I like alts) and I haven't found tanking very hard yet -- the toughest part is knowing where to lead the party in dungeons, and running them once or twice with a non-tank character usually makes that manageable.

super-redguy posted:

I don't think I saw this mentioned but if you get your class to level 30 you cannot pick up its job until you've gotten through a sufficient amount of the main story quest (it's a Level 20 quest called Sylph-management). It's mostly something nice to know for those who start on preferred servers and rapidly outlevel the MSQ.

Yeah, I ran into this problem at first, but figured it out with a bit of reading up.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Selachian posted:

I'm also playing a Warrior (yes, I like alts) and I haven't found tanking very hard yet -- the toughest part is knowing where to lead the party in dungeons, and running them once or twice with a non-tank character usually makes that manageable.

If you can overcome the stage fright of being the pointman in the party you've basically jumped the biggest hurdle to tanking. It's very straightforward and never gets more involved than rotating cooldowns for trash packs and learning attack names for bosses so you know when to pop which mitigations.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
handily once you get in heavensward every dungeon is a straightforward mob tunnel with no branching paths or dead-ends

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's still the rare cul-de-sac with treasure in it but you can usually count on DPS to grab those for you.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I find that healers and DPS are eager to point you in the right direction so you don't really even need to learn to lead the party as a tank. They'll run to where the group needs to go, the question is just whether they're sensible enough to hold off and let you engage first.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Frida Call Me posted:

handily once you get in heavensward every dungeon is a straightforward mob tunnel with no branching paths or dead-ends

So far the hardest dungeon to play "guide" on I've seen is Haukke Manor, because there are all those side rooms with loot in them, and there's always some people who want to pick up everything and some people who just want to run past and finish. (My sympathies generally lie with the first sort, but I always worry I'm going too slow for the impatient folks who insist on crashing through multiple enemy groups at once.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
The dungeon I had the worst time with was the one with the weird resonating crystals. It's been a bit since I've done it though so if that isn't actually anything in the game I've done a bad job describing it.