Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Wark Say posted:

Like no doubt, he's a great actor,

No, he's not. A method actor is not a great actor. Method acting is what a very dedicated bad actor does to compensate for the fact that they are bad at acting.

edit: that came off way more hot-takey than I intended, but for real a proper actor shouldn't need to do all the poo poo method actors do.

ChickenMedium fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

caligulamprey posted:

Daniel Day Lewis sent text messages to his co-stars in character as Abraham Lincoln and I'm pretty sure he's loving around a liiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit.

Feel like as he got older he learned to have a bit more fun with it.

ChickenMedium posted:

No, he's not. A method actor is not a great actor. Method acting is what a very dedicated bad actor does to compensate for the fact that they are bad at acting.

edit: that came off way more hot-takey than I intended, but for real a proper actor shouldn't need to do all the poo poo method actors do.

Hmm, almost feels like there’s different schools of acting and there’s no right or wrong way to do it depending on the style of performance you want to deliver. Maybe the simplest answer is just don’t use acting as an excuse to be an rear end in a top hat to others IRL but plenty of non-method guys have found ways to do that just fine.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 24, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
gently caress. The new Blade Runner: Black Lotus trailer looks terrible. Nothing at all like Blade Runner outside of a dark rainy city filled with neon, just some generic cyberpunk action anime. Hopefully it was just a bad trailer that felt like it needed to sell the series on action and isn't representative, but... I am not holding out hope.

e: I watched (skipped through) the Comic Con panel about it, and when asked why they "decided" to do 3D instead of 2D like the Black Out short, the producer dances around a direct answer of "We didn't want to but that's the reality of the industry right now." The moderator feels like he's kinda grilling them on it, too, because he brought up that even BR2049 tried to do traditional effects rather than leaning on CGI whenever possible.

Looks like the reactions to the trailer online are pretty much universally negative, too. If it happened to be a misleading trailer (which I'm only hoping because the same team nailed the Black Out short), they're gonna want to put something else out drat soon to try to put out a bad buzz fire. Well, as much of a fire as the very small corner of the internet that gives a poo poo about this series can muster.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 24, 2021

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
So many ding dong takes ITT, but I'm not going to address any of them until I actually watch My Left Foot.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
I see someone has already beaten me at quoting Olivier

But anyway, no, Matrix Reloaded loving owns, and Revolutions isnt as bad as all that. The burly brawl as some kind of cheeky, sadomasochistic meta-commentary on fan expectations for the movies was lovely

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bruce Campbell talked about working with an actor, who he left unnamed, who felt for the sake of his character, had to be an rear end to everyone on and off set. After filming wrapped the guy came up to Bruce and told him what a pleasure and joy it was to work with him, to which Bruce replied "Wish I could say the same."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Simiain posted:

I see someone has already beaten me at quoting Olivier

But anyway, no, Matrix Reloaded loving owns, and Revolutions isnt as bad as all that. The burly brawl as some kind of cheeky, sadomasochistic meta-commentary on fan expectations for the movies was lovely

The light-comedy tone is precisely what’s annoying about it, whereas an earlier draft of Reloaded has the protagonists pushed to the brink of madness by all their simulated dismemberments, and it’s correctly pointed out that Morpheus is plotting to kill billions of people because, if the entire Earth population zaps out of stasis at the same time, they’ll all require drastic medical care - and there’s no food.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The light-comedy tone is precisely what’s annoying about it, whereas an earlier draft of Reloaded has the protagonists pushed to the brink of madness by all their simulated dismemberments, and it’s correctly pointed out that Morpheus is plotting to kill billions of people because, if the entire Earth population zaps out of stasis at the same time, they’ll all require drastic medical care - and there’s no food.

Ah gently caress. Well, I like how self-indulgent it is, with its orgiastic fight scenes and literal orgies.

I mean really, all that stuff is of a piece whereby the Neo-One shouldnt even have to fight anything, he's a Superman who should be able to delete any and all agents with a thought. But instead of exploring all those plotholes they had fun with it and i'm down.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

the protagonists pushed to the brink of madness by all their simulated dismemberments, and it’s correctly pointed out that Morpheus is plotting to kill billions of people because, if the entire Earth population zaps out of stasis at the same time, they’ll all require drastic medical care - and there’s no food.

Holy hell this sounds insanely cool

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Say what you will about x men apocalypse but the Quicksilver sequence and Wolverine's cameo briefly turning the movie into a supernatural slasher film almost redeems the entire thing

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Simiain posted:

Neo-One shouldnt even have to fight anything, he's a Superman who should be able to delete any and all agents with a thought. But instead of exploring all those plotholes they had fun with it and i'm down.

I’m not usually one to gripe about ‘what could have been’, but the early draft has Neo just walk up to the Architect’s skyscraper and disintegrate it with his mind. The machines then dump so many resources into maintaining the skyscraper that the Matrix’s framerate turns to poo poo and everything’s glitching out.

Neo is only defeated when the machines deploy the Anti-Neo: a libertarian-hating anarchist biker, self-taught in the art of Fight Magic, recruited by the feds to bring Morpheus down.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

That would have been a much more interesting movie.

Calaveron posted:

Say what you will about x men apocalypse but the Quicksilver sequence and Wolverine's cameo briefly turning the movie into a supernatural slasher film almost redeems the entire thing

Yeah but that Quicksilver scene is basically just the same scene from Days of Future Past but not as good. Apocalypse is such a drab charmless movie with some really tone deaf poo poo about the holocaust. Days of Future Past is probably the best of the X-Men movies but I'm not sure if I want to watch any of them again because you know, Bryan Singer.

Because I know it's probably going to come up I don't count the Wolverine and Deadpool spinoffs as strictly X-Men movies so I'm not counting them in the X-Men movies ranking those but I like all of them except for that first Wolverine which I haven't seen and don't intend to. And the Deadpool movies are so different from the others that I don't really want to compare them at all.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Considering it's nearly 20 years old, the special effects in Revolutions hold up super well

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I want to see Pig but I don't want to be sad

how sad is Pig?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Pig is, among other things, an interrogation of sadness

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

What

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

how sad is Pig?
It's a very sad movie about loneliness and compassion. You will be sad.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 25, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pig is the best sad-rear end movie 2021 has had to offer so far. It will make you really loving sad on average, though given how fucky most things have been, who knows.

Really good movie, though. And Nicolas Cage is in as fine a form as he can be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I’m not usually one to gripe about ‘what could have been’, but the early draft has Neo just walk up to the Architect’s skyscraper and disintegrate it with his mind. The machines then dump so many resources into maintaining the skyscraper that the Matrix’s framerate turns to poo poo and everything’s glitching out.

Neo is only defeated when the machines deploy the Anti-Neo: a libertarian-hating anarchist biker, self-taught in the art of Fight Magic, recruited by the feds to bring Morpheus down.

What the gently caress, this owns

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

how sad is Pig?

I did not find Pig to be very sad, but I liked it very much. It’s very melancholy, but I didn’t find it as sharply sad as I did with The Grey (which I think is the closest partner movie to Pig). In a way, Pig is a lot like The Grey but in the context of global warming rather than 9/11. They’re movies about loss and catastrophe, about the paterfamilias figure dealing with his family falling apart, finding the mature response in the face of that loss, and confronting the question of how you create (or maintain) value in the face of death.

Great movie. Doubt you’ll regret watching it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
My biggest Matrix sequel gripe is that the original point of the “Burly Brawl” was, you know, that Agents commander normal people. Neo can kill hundreds of Smiths, but the result is a massive pile of dead human bodies.

It’s basically a direct visualization of Morpheus’ willingness to destroy all social programs just to get at the bad government. (Smith isn’t a rogue AI in this version.)

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
SMG, did you read these early drafts or did you read about them somewhere?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

He wrote them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/zachsilberberg/status/1419088324430647297?s=19

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

I found it on this site:

https://www.matrixfans.net/movies/the-matrix-reloaded/the-matrix-reloaded-early-script-draft/?amp

It’s pretty similar to the final film in the generalities, and you can see a lot of the stuff they carried over (e.g. the gang managing to kill an agent with a katana). But it’s much closer to the first film in tone and content - and there are, notably, no ghosts and vampires or whatever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is the technorgy in there?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/sablaah/status/1419065776611414016?s=19

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If he really said that then that's one of history's greatest self-owns.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Wark Say posted:

Pig is the best sad-rear end movie 2021 has had to offer so far. It will make you really loving sad on average, though given how fucky most things have been, who knows.

Really good movie, though. And Nicolas Cage is in as fine a form as he can be.

Does he ever wig out

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Alan Smithee posted:

Does he ever wig out

He absolutely destroys a guy by having a long, soulful talk about what that guy truly valued, what he wanted to accomplish, and how he needs to stop soiling his life by chasing the superficialities of bourgeois praise.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel feel like it's unlikelythat Seinfeld would have done a special about the new Shyamalan movie and also his habit of dating children.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't think Jerry Seinfeld is a talented enough comedian to have a solid ten minutes of jokes about Old in his latest comedy special.

https://twitter.com/markpopham/status/1419123764151865350?s=20

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Recently saw Au Hasard Balthazar for the first time, the Bresson film about a work donkey's pitiful existence at the hands of the free market. It’s quite unrelenting in its depiction of animal/man as utility, and the female protagonist Marie’s desperation to escape from it. But there is no escape, and her burgeoning sexuality is used against her. Because she isn’t sufficiently modest (In other words, rationally using her sexuality for the benefit of all of society) her story concludes with being reduced to the donkey Balthazar’s position - stripped naked, beaten, and humiliated.

Complements well with The Turin Horse if you're an animal lover and want to get real sad.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 26, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KVeezy3 posted:

Recently saw Au Hasard Balthazar for the first time, the Bresson film about a work donkey's pitiful existence at the hands of the free market. It’s quite unrelenting in its depiction of animal/man as utility, and the female protagonist Marie’s desperation to escape from it. But there is no escape, and her burgeoning sexuality is used against her. Because she isn’t sufficiently modest (In other words, rationally using her sexuality for the benefit of all of society) her story concludes with being reduced to the donkey Balthazar’s position - stripped naked, beaten, and humiliated.

Complements well with The Turin Horse if you're an animal lover and want to get real sad.

Yes, we've all seen Shrek

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I was scrolling through HBO Max and I couldn't remember if I actually saw Rush Hour 3 so I watched the trailer and it turns out Roman Polanski is in it. Birds of a feather I guess.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Howdy just pimping this thread yall might find fun
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901009&pagenumber=2&perpage=40

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Every beach is a beach that makes you old. You get old everywhere you go. Time is an unending march and stops for nobody.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Coffee And Pie posted:

Every beach is a beach that makes you old. You get old everywhere you go. Time is an unending march and stops for nobody.

https://twitter.com/realJaredGilman/status/1419307490257346572?s=20

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/not_T_ann_eR/status/1419857406935322642

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean I guess you could argue the ascent of the Khmer Rouge was also a revolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Badass Aus vs. Belgium womens basketball game, 3rd quarter 54 - 54

But I'm still mad that Liz Cambage quit the Olympic team

E: beefed it

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 27, 2021