Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Don't Ask posted:

Mobile posting so I dunno how to get the direct link but check this poo poo out:

https://imgur.com/yNCRy4S

vvvvv cheers

Holy poo poo.

The boulder that takes out the bridge isn't even that big compared to the rest.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I salute the comedic genius who left two empty flip flops on the ledge.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think it's funny how they're like "ooh, that's close, let's instead go inside and watch through the window where we're safe".

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

*Hides from flying rocks in building
*Stands next to window to record flying rocks

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
like a rolling stone, indeed

those things got some major air

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

*Hides from flying rocks in building
*Stands next to window to record flying rocks

You understand that the camera is not located on the person's face, that they can duck below the wall and hold the camera out and, given the drift in the past few seconds that's likely what happened here? Right? You know that we're not seeing reality through someone else's eyes??

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sure but they’re also hiding behind a thin wall while rocks that would punch through it like tissue rain down. The wall will do gently caress all if they take a hit.

The answer is to retreat as far into the building as possible in the opposite direction of the rocks, and probably exit that opposite side and keep moving away from the flying rocks.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
You know that wall will do loving nothing against those boulders, right? And that the glass is likely to shatter and fly inward at the person filming, right?

I mean, I'm in awe that someone dared to capture and upload this but my rear end would be seeking shelter away from the actual avalanche of boulders.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Log082 posted:

Holy poo poo.

The boulder that takes out the bridge isn't even that big compared to the rest.

Just watching that one stone. "Oh poo poo, is it gonna hit it? Is it gonna...OH IT DID!"

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure but they’re also hiding behind a thin wall while rocks that would punch through it like tissue rain down. The wall will do gently caress all if they take a hit.

The answer is to retreat as far into the building as possible in the opposite direction of the rocks, and probably exit that opposite side and keep moving away from the flying rocks.

Hiding being the wall is better than being out in the open as the rock does have to expend kinetic energy to knock it down and strike the person. So yes, better than being out on the porch watching.

The issue is weather or not it's better enough to save them from the rock slide (which it obviously isn't).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Not if you duck and cover, that stops anything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Not if you duck and cover, that stops anything.

Only if it's under a table or a child's school desk if I'm remembering my elementary safety films correctly

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That's still a fairly decent moatriver the rocks have to cross and the wall will at least protect from the smaller debris that's more likely to be able to travel a longer distance.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Sure one of the big rocks will cream you regardless of where you're hiding, but getting inside would help block the small debris and fragments that are getting kicked up. Kind of like how duck and cover wasn't going to protect you from a direct nuclear blast, but if it's far enough away that it only knocks the building down on top of you, it helps to be under a desk to protect yourself from debris.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cat Hatter posted:

That's still a fairly decent moatriver the rocks have to cross and the wall will at least protect from the smaller debris that's more likely to be able to travel a longer distance.

The issue isn’t weather or not the wall is better than nothing.

The issue is that they have MORE walls to retreat behind further into the building but instead are handing out there to video it.

Whether or not they’re safer than standing out on the porch they’re still putting themselves at risk to take a film.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Proteus Jones posted:

Only if it's under a table or a child's school desk if I'm remembering my elementary safety films correctly

Even then that only protects you from atomic bombs. That desk is completely helpless against falling rocks, tsunamis, tornadoes, or annoyed teachers asking you where your homework is.

Just like the turtle's shell in that animation protects him from a forest destroying firecracker.

Cat Hatter posted:

This is probably a good point. Big boulders weren't really clearing the trench, but that rock slide could definitely throw a piece only a few centimeters wide with enough force to knock out a tooth or something.

E:
Still in agreement on everyone else who said they'd keep going in that situation though. Unless that front door was the only exit to the apartment, which then things could be problematic. Would still move to the furthest part of the building I could reach of course.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Sure one of the big rocks will cream you regardless of where you're hiding, but getting inside would help block the small debris and fragments that are getting kicked up. Kind of like how duck and cover wasn't going to protect you from a direct nuclear blast, but if it's far enough away that it only knocks the building down on top of you, it helps to be under a desk to protect yourself from debris.

drat, you beat me to the "most acreage around a nuclear blast is in the 'throws debris and possibly knocks down the roof' zone" post.

In fairness, your avatar is better suited to posting about surviving a nuclear blast.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

drat, you beat me to the "most acreage around a nuclear blast is in the 'throws debris and possibly knocks down the roof' zone" post.

In fairness, your avatar is better suited to posting about surviving a nuclear blast.

Actually I'm pretty sure most acreage around a nuclear blast is in the "everything sucks" zone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iPH-br_eJQ

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

Just watching that one stone. "Oh poo poo, is it gonna hit it? Is it gonna...OH IT DID!"
They should have raised the bridge.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Pickled Tink posted:

They should have raised the bridge.

"Oh, sorry, I thought you said raze the bridge."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"Oh, sorry, I thought you said raze the bridge."

:lol:

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Cyrano4747 posted:

I had the same thought watching that. gently caress standing around to continue filming that window and wall isnt gonna stop a boulder.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
im surprised more cars didnt get hit in that rock slide.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think it's funny how they're like "ooh, that's close, let's instead go inside and watch through the window where we're safe".

Sentinel posted:

I had the same thought watching that. gently caress standing around to continue filming that window and wall isnt gonna stop a boulder.

Do you want video content for this thread or not?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

GotLag posted:

OSHA IV: Do you want video content for this thread or not?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

PhazonLink posted:

im surprised more cars didnt get hit in that rock slide.

Looks like the little hut across the way had a near-miss and at least one hit, the roof is gone in later parts of the video. Surprised nobody was hurt or killed. Where was this?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

GotLag posted:

Do you want video content for this thread or not?
I just said they did something funny! In what world is that arguing for them to have done something else?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Where was this?

From the language and nature, without searching or clicking, I would guess any place between Turkey and Kazakstan.

Edit: It happened in India.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 25, 2021

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Jet Jaguar posted:

Looks like the little hut across the way had a near-miss and at least one hit, the roof is gone in later parts of the video. Surprised nobody was hurt or killed. Where was this?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57955964
Nine dead.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alkydere posted:

but that rock slide could definitely throw a piece only a few centimeters wide with enough force to knock out a tooth or something.

Reminds me of this demolition video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwMe_ZgYgwI

:stonk:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
or this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIuEq9KrxZw

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Haven't gotten to finish the video yet, but that bridge looks pretty strong, I'd probably have taken cover there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1419118258846851072?s=20

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qwt6iwiYh01r0uzl6.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I decided to watch the skateboarding and it was nuts that none of them had to wear pads or helmets or anything. From one aspect, you can say that it gives kids a bad impression seeing these guys do this stuff with no PPE, but then on the other hand you can say that it would hinder them as they are used to not wearing that stuff and it would throw them off. Similar to how no one would demand that figure skaters wear helmets even if they probably should. I guess that's what happens when you go from having it be a sport where everyone wears pads and helmets, to saying skateboarding should be illegal, so all the kids that do it are rebels who skate without the protective gear, and now those people are the best at skateboarding and it's an Olympic sport now. I guess they are pros so they are good at falling without getting hurt, but some of those bails looked pretty bad.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Jet Jaguar posted:

Sangla Valley in Himchal Pradesh state in norther India. A vehicle was hit by this or one of the other several rock slides that day, killing nine.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Don't Ask posted:

Mobile posting so I dunno how to get the direct link but check this poo poo out:

https://imgur.com/yNCRy4S

vvvvv cheers

From downtown!

E:

Imagine now forever being known at the Olympic taint smasher.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 25, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cojawfee posted:

I decided to watch the skateboarding and it was nuts that none of them had to wear pads or helmets or anything. From one aspect, you can say that it gives kids a bad impression seeing these guys do this stuff with no PPE, but then on the other hand you can say that it would hinder them as they are used to not wearing that stuff and it would throw them off. Similar to how no one would demand that figure skaters wear helmets even if they probably should. I guess that's what happens when you go from having it be a sport where everyone wears pads and helmets, to saying skateboarding should be illegal, so all the kids that do it are rebels who skate without the protective gear, and now those people are the best at skateboarding and it's an Olympic sport now. I guess they are pros so they are good at falling without getting hurt, but some of those bails looked pretty bad.

I don't really watch skateboarding, but I always thought they wore pads/helmets. Maybe its just for the half-pipes where they get real air?

I did see a bunch of AirPods in the 5 minutes I watched on TV. And a guy stuffing a phone in his pocket. You'd think they wouldn't allow that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Uthor posted:

I don't really watch skateboarding, but I always thought they wore pads/helmets. Maybe its just for the half-pipes where they get real air?

I did see a bunch of AirPods in the 5 minutes I watched on TV. And a guy stuffing a phone in his pocket. You'd think they wouldn't allow that.
why?

that's antithetical to the sport. it's not going to just impose a bunch of rules and regulations that aren't accepted by the riders and community at large. You'd completely change the whole event if you forced them to do something they aren't used to