Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd hate to see another league veteran go, but no, it's not too late. We can probably recruit a goon.

Is everyone waiting on me to do something to the rules? We were talking about voting on some of this stuff:

Spermy Smurf posted:

I have gone 11 pages deep and all i can find is:

Proposed Rules
  • Hard Cap instead of soft cap. Will not allow you to do 2 moves in a row if the first move will bust your cap. The 2nd move might allow you to fix your cap, but it will not allow you to begin the 2-move process. Will fix people busting cap on IR and stuff, but will make it harder for people who manage their cap properly.
  • 10pts for everyone that is on a BYE or injured and is started in a game. Manual process for PF at the end of the year is all.
  • Positional edge players? Use a predefined list of EDGE, make that a category?
  • Expand taxi squad rules? In case of injury or a % of snaps or games played or something, maybe certain guys can stay for 3 years?
  • Change 1.13 for consolation bracket to be something else. 1.13 for the strongest team is a benefit to the middle-of-the-road team and we want it to benefit the worst teams not the best of the rest.

Edit: So once we vote for this stuff we're good to make changes, then can unlock basically anytime I think. Our league needs to be paid for by June 10th to save $20 on MFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Let's vote on some poo poo!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright.

VOTE

1. Should we switch to a hard salary cap? This would mean you cannot do a trade or waiver wire pickup that would bust your cap, even temporarily. A player that wouldn't bust your cap once they're on your taxi or IR, still couldn't be picked up until you made room for them on your main roster.

2. For the purposes of determining draft order only, should we count each player started that season on BYE, IR, or Out as having earned 10 points for that team in total Points For? This would have no effect on matches or standings, it'd purely be to safeguard against the available tactic of intentionally starting 0-point players to try and get a better draft slot. Note that intentionally tanking by starting players who suck would still be available.

3. Should we attempt to add an EDGE position? We would have to manually identify players who qualify for the position, and decide how many should be started by each team (I presume 1, but are there enough to go around) and any scoring differences.

4. Should we permit players to be on a TAXI squad in their third+ year, under certain special conditions? For example, if a player missed their entire rookie or sophomore season due to injury, COVID opt-out, or suspension? If you vote YES to this question, please state what qualifications you think should count.

5. Should we change the prize for winning the consolation bracket? Currently the winner tends to be among the stronger teams. The intention of a good consolation prize is to keep owners engaged through the end of the season and post-season, but maybe this prize is too good? If you vote YEST to this question, please list different prizes you'd prefer.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
1. Should we switch to a hard salary cap? This would mean you cannot do a trade or waiver wire pickup that would bust your cap, even temporarily. A player that wouldn't bust your cap once they're on your taxi or IR, still couldn't be picked up until you made room for them on your main roster.

NO

2. For the purposes of determining draft order only, should we count each player started that season on BYE, IR, or Out as having earned 10 points for that team in total Points For? This would have no effect on matches or standings, it'd purely be to safeguard against the available tactic of intentionally starting 0-point players to try and get a better draft slot. Note that intentionally tanking by starting players who suck would still be available.

NO

3. Should we attempt to add an EDGE position? We would have to manually identify players who qualify for the position, and decide how many should be started by each team (I presume 1, but are there enough to go around) and any scoring differences.

I like EDGE but if you have to manually do it then NO, until MFL can do it automatically like ESPN.

4. Should we permit players to be on a TAXI squad in their third+ year, under certain special conditions? For example, if a player missed their entire rookie or sophomore season due to injury, COVID opt-out, or suspension? If you vote YES to this question, please state what qualifications you think should count.

YES - if player missed more than half (maybe 3/4ths?) of their rookie or sophmore season due to injury/opt-out/susepsension.

5. Should we change the prize for winning the consolation bracket? Currently the winner tends to be among the stronger teams. The intention of a good consolation prize is to keep owners engaged through the end of the season and post-season, but maybe this prize is too good? If you vote YEST to this question, please list different prizes you'd prefer.

YES - Cash prize or some sort of league trophy

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

YES

NO - I’d rather potential points than this

NO

NO

FINE EITHER WAY

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

No

No

No

No

[/quote]

YEST cash prize. Maybe something like 150/70/40/20/20

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

NO

YES

MFL technically can do this using a third party tool, but I don't want to do it so No

YES - if player missed more than half of their rookie or sophmore season due to injury/opt-out/susepsension.

YES - Cash prize $20? or some sort of league trophy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We used to have a $20 prize for consolation, right? I think we switched to 1.13 two years ago. I don't think most of us really give a gently caress about the twenty bucks.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, I dont even know if we bother with a prize for coming in uhhh 5th? A new league trophy with custom totally awesome (crappy) art designed by me could be done instead.

It's just nice having people continue to set lineups to give some fun later in the year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's more than "nice," it's necessary. If you put up a fight earlier in the season, teams that face you late in the season need to also be challenged, or you're giving them free wins which may propel those teams to the playoffs. Nobody should get "free wins" because an owner has checked out after being eliminated from playoff contention.

Some of us delight in playing spoiler anyway, but not everyone does. An incentive to keep trying to win till the bitter end seems essential to me. If 1.13 is too much, fair enough; I think $20 might be too little. An actual physical prize sounds cool as hell. We could dial things back though: what about a free 2nd round pick instead of 1st round pick? Would that be still valuable, but less unbalancing?

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
2.13? Sure

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

It's more than "nice," it's necessary. If you put up a fight earlier in the season, teams that face you late in the season need to also be challenged, or you're giving them free wins which may propel those teams to the playoffs. Nobody should get "free wins" because an owner has checked out after being eliminated from playoff contention.

Maybe I misspoke, I'm not talking playoff teams or anything. The consolation prize is essentially a made up 5th place right? They beat everyone who didn't make playoffs, that's sort of 5th place? Maybe 6th? This is strictly the two-week "anyone already eliminated from playoffs" period I'm talking about.

That's what the consolation prize is, it's not the 5th place winner or 6th place person, but it's effectively 5th or 6th because it's "best of the rest" if that makes sense. No need for much of a real prize there I don't think.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

too late to drop out for next season? I feel like I'm super out of the loop on football this year. I think my roster is in a decent place if there's still anybody on the waiting list who wants to take over

I never saw this, poo poo. You're Brick Squad, right?

Want me to post in the FF thread that we're looking for a guy?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
yeah I'm brick squad and I'm leaving 1.13 for the next owner, as a gift.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Right. We used to actually rank them as fifth place (for picks) and stopped that a while back too. Now, they get ranked by their regular season finish as normal, but get a 1.13 pick. The proposal I guess is 1.13 is too valuable and is tending to go to a team that is actually fifth-ish place, whereas we'd like this prize to either not be so valuable, or be more easily claimed by a lower-ranking team.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah so $20 or just some trophy in the league trophy case probably better.

A $10 picture by their name on the forums? Avatar I think? I turned off those images so I don't see them but it's an option. Probably rather have the $10 honestly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah, so that explains why you've had that goatse and redtext for all this time lol

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
If there’s still the open spot I’d be interested in joining! I’ve been in a super competitive redraft league since 2015 and a couple IDP leagues

I’ve never played dynasty so I have a lot to learn.

Does it work like a redraft league in terms of setting a weekly lineup?

Are trades and transactions in-season only or year-round?

Is the draft pool simply rookies and free agents?

What are the dues and how do you pay them?

Obviously it’s a much bigger commitment than a redraft league so just want to reduce the number and severity of rookie screwups on my way to running the team into the ground

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

If there’s still the open spot I’d be interested in joining! I’ve been in a super competitive redraft league since 2015 and a couple IDP leagues

Hi! Yes, we have This team available.

quote:

Does it work like a redraft league in terms of setting a weekly lineup?
Yes. You have a much deeper bench, but some of your players are rookies and longshots and poo poo like that. You set a lineup before each match in our 14-week regular season and try to make the playoffs, and if you win place or show, you get a cash payout.

quote:

Are trades and transactions in-season only or year-round?

We lock the league for transactions when the season ends and re-open it usually a month or so before the preseason begins. We have certain restrictions in place on drops and trades at other times.

quote:

Is the draft pool simply rookies and free agents?

We have two drafts each year, one for rookies, and a separate auction one for free agents. The rookie draft uses draft picks you can trade, and based on the prior year's standings/champion etc, whereas the auction uses the pool of fake pretend dollars that you will also use through the year for Free Agents By Auction.

quote:

What are the dues and how do you pay them?
You pay $25 into the prize pool, plus 1/12th of the league fees charged by MFL, for a total of $30.83. I'm the league treasurer, you send me the money using an online payment option such as venmo or paypal, and I track all the money in our league spreadsheet. We require payment of dues for the current year, plus any year for which you trade draft picks - so for example if you sent a player to another team and received a 2022 draft pick in exchange, you'd need to pay your 2022 dues in advance. Dues are refundable if you withdraw early enough from a season that we can find a replacement, so for example if Stevie Lee had already paid his 2021 dues, I'd be refunding them as soon as you joined the league and took over his team.

quote:

Obviously it’s a much bigger commitment than a redraft league so just want to reduce the number and severity of rookie screwups on my way to running the team into the ground

Naturally. We have a league rules document - apologies in advance, it's long - and managing a team on MFL has a certain degree of complexity too. IMO it's well worth it for the multi-year experience of managing a fantasy team, though!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Leperflesh posted:

Hi! Yes, we have This team available.

Yes. You have a much deeper bench, but some of your players are rookies and longshots and poo poo like that. You set a lineup before each match in our 14-week regular season and try to make the playoffs, and if you win place or show, you get a cash payout.

We lock the league for transactions when the season ends and re-open it usually a month or so before the preseason begins. We have certain restrictions in place on drops and trades at other times.

We have two drafts each year, one for rookies, and a separate auction one for free agents. The rookie draft uses draft picks you can trade, and based on the prior year's standings/champion etc, whereas the auction uses the pool of fake pretend dollars that you will also use through the year for Free Agents By Auction.

You pay $25 into the prize pool, plus 1/12th of the league fees charged by MFL, for a total of $30.83. I'm the league treasurer, you send me the money using an online payment option such as venmo or paypal, and I track all the money in our league spreadsheet. We require payment of dues for the current year, plus any year for which you trade draft picks - so for example if you sent a player to another team and received a 2022 draft pick in exchange, you'd need to pay your 2022 dues in advance. Dues are refundable if you withdraw early enough from a season that we can find a replacement, so for example if Stevie Lee had already paid his 2021 dues, I'd be refunding them as soon as you joined the league and took over his team.

Naturally. We have a league rules document - apologies in advance, it's long - and managing a team on MFL has a certain degree of complexity too. IMO it's well worth it for the multi-year experience of managing a fantasy team, though!

I’d like to join if you guys will have me

All I can say is that I take fantasy football seriously enough but like playing with people who have a sense of humor as well

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Taxi squads are good for keeping guys for 2 years at $0 salary cap too.

Oh. Did we tell you it's a salary cap league? Oopsie.

IR is only half the cap hit too. But it's limited to 3 people now.

Only real advice would be that it's dynasty with deepish benches so be careful dropping guys since (for the most part) the waiver wire is a barren wasteland.

We will be opening the league up in a few weeks for trades and whatnot. Rosters need to be cut down 24 or 48hrs before we kick off the slow rookie email draft.

The Veteran auction is a live auction held very close to week 1 kickoff, maybe close to 48hrs before if thats the only time that works for everyone.

Manage your cap, its your job. It's currently a soft cap so you can bust it moving guys from taxi to IR and stuff, but it needs to be complaint before waivers run. Bust the cap for 90 seconds, we all do, but you can't bust cap during waivers or a game day or anything like that.

Edit:
The veteran auction takes your auction balance for the entire year so don't bid $90 on anyone because you will only have 10 bucks left for the entire of the year.

Join the slack. It's somewhere on the last page from Leperfish.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 10, 2021

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’m sorry but after doing research on dynasty I think I’m not a good candidate for the open spot. Wish you guys all the best for a good season

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Aw. Well, what kills it for you? Just out of curiosity.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We have 4 responses.

1) No - Hard Cap change?
2) No - 10pts for OUT players you start like an idiot?
3) No - EDGE position?
4) tied - Taxi for 3rd year players who missed a specific amount of time?
5) Yes - change consolation prize?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't feel good about making any changes based on four responses, including one commish (and I didn't vote, I wanted to see what others thought first). I guess the only real ones we'd consider are the taxi change and the consolation prize. I'm open to either of those really, don't feel that strongly about it.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

NO

NO

NO if MFL can’t manage it itself

NO Sounds like too much work for commish keeping up manually.

NO

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Also, I might be interested in moving 1.07 & Miles Sanders as a package to pick up a different RB

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

89 posted:

Also, I might be interested in moving 1.07 & Miles Sanders as a package to pick up a different RB

Want Adrian Peterson?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Spermy Smurf posted:

Want Adrian Peterson?

Sexy

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

So Jimmy G?

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
1. No
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes
5. Yes

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

We have 4 responses.

1) No - Hard Cap change?
2) No - 10pts for OUT players you start like an idiot?
3) No - EDGE position?
4) tied - Taxi for 3rd year players who missed a specific amount of time?
5) Yes - change consolation prize?

6 responses out of 11 teams total.

Same total count for yes and no as above.

Edit: We gotta find another person to take over Brick Squad too. Someone else want to post in the FF thread? I tried twice.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
We might have to reach out to *gasp*" non-goons

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I have some friends I can ask.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There will likely be more interest when preseason starts, but I'd prefer to have a new owner before then if possible.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We would hope to have it unlocked before 2nd game of preseason anyhow I think. That's 2 weeks and 2 drafts in between that and week 1 kickoff.

Sooner the better. I dont have any friends that want to do dynasty so someone else find one and get them on the forums

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I'm interested in taking over, have experience in dynasty but haven't really played around with IDP's much besides a couple of years of redraft.

Though i'm gonna spend today and possibly tomorrow skimming over the league's rules and stuff before giving a final answer on joining.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We have a shitton of rules. I think above on this page Leper and I posted a quick rundown.

Salary cap with fake money waivers. It's pretty simple, and we all help each other out with reminders of cap space and stuff.

It sounds far more complicated than it is.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

VietCampo posted:

I'm interested in taking over, have experience in dynasty but haven't really played around with IDP's much besides a couple of years of redraft.

Though i'm gonna spend today and possibly tomorrow skimming over the league's rules and stuff before giving a final answer on joining.

Don't be too intimidated by the state of the rules, I wrote them years ago and they badly need to be edited for brevity and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Was waiting on a couple buds that were wanting to do a startup but that didn't get enough interest so i'll take over that team