Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

https://twitter.com/robertdmcneill/status/1419173178052464643

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-WIyAhXa3w

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This felt very weird

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:

Brawnfire posted:

This felt very weird

In which case I apologize for the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJLEbGfT2w

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if anyone was gonna randomly burst into tears on voyager, it should have been tuvok. dude had every reason to.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It fucks me up that Tuvok is over a century old before Voyager even takes off. Being flung deep into the Delta quadrant and struggling home for 75 years comes off as more of a frustrating inconvenience for him

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Brawnfire posted:

It fucks me up that Tuvok is over a century old before Voyager even takes off. Being flung deep into the Delta quadrant and struggling home for 75 years comes off as more of a frustrating inconvenience for him

It was until his other half showed up.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

What the hell?! Uhura has a first name?!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Outpost22 posted:

What the hell?! Uhura has a first name?!

I'm pretty sure it was only actually spoken in the JJTrek movies, so it's only canon-by-association back in the main timeline.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Powered Descent posted:

I'm pretty sure it was only actually spoken in the JJTrek movies, so it's only canon-by-association back in the main timeline.
Nyota was her non-canon first name until JJTrek, yeah.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Michaeldim posted:

In which case I apologize for the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJLEbGfT2w

This is super extra weird, voyager already had the best intro.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
DS9 would have had the best intro from season 4onwards if they had just updated the visuals and kept the original score.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 hours!)

DS9's intro is a nice song but it's very long and slow, and so are the visuals, so it makes for a kind of boring intro which I skip 100% of the time. The updated version with percussion in s4 doesn't change that at all for me.

I think Voyager's is by far the best of all the shows, and I don't particularly like Voyager. Interesting visuals over a good song that moves.

TNG's might be the 'iconic' theme but I don't actually like listening to it and visually it's basic, so I always skip it as well. First 15 seconds are the best part.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I like the score changing a bit to kind of go with the fact that on the show, DS9 goes from being a backwater early on to the most important station in the Quadrant.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Control is all like "I'm trying to capture Michael Burnham because she has access to the sphere data" and Spock is like "there must be a *reason*, and it's because you are the most erratic person in the galaxy and the only one capable of defeating sn AI. It is destiny."

The simultaneous thing of Pike accepting his eventual injury in order to take the crystal and Voq and Lorel's son having been meant to guide Pike indicate that the show's thematic take is that fate and destiny are real, something said in so many words repeatedly by Lorca. So the show is like "Lorca is right" because the show doesn't seem to remember that he was a bad guy.

(Obligatory "yes, you can have a compelling story where the villain is right about the way the world works but does something bad or wrong with that information. But this show is not doing that in a satisfying way.")

Also what is with nu trek and vision-induced bystander trauma? The Remonstrance or whatever in Picard is so horrible that it makes people in the double secret murder police beat their own faces to death with the nearest rock, but it's basically the Matrix. Showing a soldier a severe injury he receives in the line of duty makes him lose himself so badly he has to recoil and scream and recite a mantra. Would seeing yourself dying and profoundly injured be traumatic? Sure. Would a decorated captain who has encountered death and maiming in the line of duty be totally undone by it for a minute during an exercise before which he was warned about the likelihood of psychological trauma? Maybe. Would *no human ever* be able to endure that? Come on.

This is a highly specific and lovely trope, yet two different shows used it identically and failed in the exact same, highly avoidable way.

betaraywil fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 25, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Someone once said DS9’s intro would have been vastly improved by it visiting all the locations in the area like Game of Thrones did and I agree wholeheartedly with that. Go through the inside and around the outside the station, visit Bajor, the badlands, inside the wormhole, Cardassia, and bring in the Great Link or Martok’s ship once those are things. Like a lot of things DS9 did at the start it felt like it had to do what other Treks did and the other Treks had an intro with just the outside of the ship so that’s what DS9 had to do.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Kibayasu posted:

Someone once said DS9’s intro would have been vastly improved by it visiting all the locations in the area like Game of Thrones did and I agree wholeheartedly with that. Go through the inside and around the outside the station, visit Bajor, the badlands, inside the wormhole, Cardassia, and bring in the Great Link or Martok’s ship once those are things. Like a lot of things DS9 did at the start it felt like it had to do what other Treks did and the other Treks had an intro with just the outside of the ship so that’s what DS9 had to do.

Or they could've went this route:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59_Wzssx4iA

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I skip all intros, every single time.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Best part of DS9 intro is the tingly noise at the start when you go through the comet/asteroid tail.
I was at a friends out who had proper 5.1 surround sound set up, and it was loving glorious.
And it has spock face in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked the trailer intros that this guy did for each season of DS9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKLsGlQ3CHE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdpdbHdQ81I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqEIIOYjG5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uDXux7OEYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8DpDhmE01A

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Okay this thread is huge but I gotta talk about this regardless if it's been gone over. In In The Pale Moonlight which has always been one of my favs, on a recent rewatch, I had the epiphany Garak was lying about contacting anyone on Cardassia to try to get evidence of a Dominion plot to go after the Romulans.

It's even basically explicitly confirmed when Garak tells Sisko to bullshit Vreenak with 'lost a dozen good men bringing it across the line', after telling Sisko all the operatives he contacted on Cardassia were killed within 1 day of speaking to him.

So I go on some searching after I realized that and someone astutely pointed out that the acquiring the data rod was bullshit too. If you pay attention to how he frames it in the elevator ride, it goes along with his previously shown methods of lying where he couches truth with an obfuscation of deceptive language referring to himself in the third person. He also deflects what he's going to use the bio mnemetic gel for. 'Presumably something to do with genetic experimentation'.

Now, Trek during this time was really good with setup/payoff stuff. Bashir tells Sisko what the dangerous substance can be used for when voicing his objection, finishing with 'developing organic explosives' before Sisko cuts him off with his reiteration of the order to package up the gel.

Who would likely have something like the extremely limited optilithic data rod as described in the episode? Why, the same guy who was being groomed to take over as the head of the Obsidian Order of course.

Someone also pointed out in an earlier season where Garak is going off on a dangerous mission and tells Bashir the location of a hidden panel in his shop that has a data rod inside it and tells him to eat it if Garak doesn't come back. Exactly the sort of thing he'd say, tell a lie with the truth alongside it, disguised as part of the lie.

None of this is ever discovered or realized by Sisko, and the audience is never directly told.

Motherfucker saw an opportunity when Sisko asked him for help and singlehandedly set up the circumstances to pull the Romulans into the war by manipulating Sisko and utilizing patience. This episode, more than any other, shows just what he is capable of and how he would absolutely be at the top of Cardassia's spy/operative game.

To me this also puts this episode on an all time high of Trek episodes as a whole.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 25, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus he realizes how stupid it would be to even consider contacting old resources on Cardassia given that he was specifically singled out by the Dominion to remain incarcerated after the treaty between his people and the Founders was signed. He knows how to pull one over on the Romulans but he learned the hard way to never underestimate the Dominion.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Exactly, he pulled off similar Romulan political fuckery when he was a gardener on Romulus.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

mmhmm. mhmm. i see you make some good points

*thinks about garak measuring my inseam*

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CBS also painted itself into a corner with the Disco 3 by saying that "regardless of what anyone does, the Starfleet collapses in few centuries".

Unless they give Disco3+ the ST:TAS treatment and say that "after the timejump it became the Burnham timeline and gently caress that, unless we specifically refer to it somewhere".

They have what, 5 shows now in development and all of them go towards the "does not matter, dilithium stops working, ships get trashed, and federation basically ceases to exist".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
like every other idea kurtzman plagiarizes, he doesn't really understand andromeda.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Better things aren't possible, please buy this repro commbadge

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Make it so they have to break the Time Travel accords and have to prevent the Burn.
Turns out half the galaxy post burn is Borg or those mind control alien things that live in your neck from TNG.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Picard S1 is in 2399 and Disco S3 is in 3189 or something like that. There's plenty of distance where we at least don't have to think about the dumb decisions they made in terms of what happens to the Federation later on.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

anyone have some good Garack/Bashir fanfic?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not even a huge fan of Disco but it's at least coherent, unlike whatever Picard was supposed to be.

I've never gotten more than halfway through a season is Discovery before giving up on it because of my hatred of the characters.

I've at least finished Picard. Not that it was good either.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Picard S1 is in 2399 and Disco S3 is in 3189 or something like that. There's plenty of distance where we at least don't have to think about the dumb decisions they made in terms of what happens to the Federation later on.

yeah, I don't really think "the burn happens later" is a problem in terms of Trek storytelling. I'd still be interested in post-Picard, pre-burn stories. I'd be interested in a series about the Enterprise C, despite knowing how they end up. I am interested in the series about Pike on the Enterprise before Kirk takes over, despite knowing how he ends up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it kinda interferes with the time travelers from voyager, i think?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lol if u still give a poo poo what happens to the romulaks

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

They made it pretty clear in a very heavy-handed way that all other options will lead to the sentient life losing that war against the AI, so the only solution was to take the 100000 years of AI data to the future, and we get what Disco3 showed us.

So unless they do timeline splitting, or a full retcon of Disco S3 onwards, that is where they will inevitably end up to. Pike also knows that he will become invalid, and we know that he does absolutely nothing (or was it that he cannot do anything) to prevent that from happening, since taking the time crystal solidifies that part of the timeline.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Der Kyhe posted:

They made it pretty clear in a very heavy-handed way that all other options will lead to the sentient life losing that war against the AI, so the only solution was to take the 100000 years of AI data to the future, and we get what Disco3 showed us.

Has it been beaten to death how that core conceit doesn't make any loving sense? Control was already self-aware and self-improving with access to nanotechnology, so it was on track to cause a grey goo apocalypse, but it could have used the sphere data to learn statistical information about how previous AIs (I guess the space cthulhus from Picard?) perfected themselves, allowing it to accomplish that faster. But at no point did it Control need the sphere data. Either the pewpew solution was ineffective and a fragment of Control survived to inevitably reassert itself over a longer timeline (but not that long a timeline) or they successfully eradicated it and there was no reason for Discovery to leave the timeline, because the AI was dead.

I guess you could say

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

like every other idea kurtzman plagiarizes, he doesn't really understand andromedaall that stuff about the Singularity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it kinda interferes with the time travelers from voyager, i think?
If you're talking about like Captain Braxton, he's from the 29th century

The furthest out we had seen from before Disco S3 was Daniels, who was from the 31st century. He was probably alive when The Burn happened.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nyota was her non-canon first name until JJTrek, yeah.

IIRC "Nyota" was introduced in one of the Trek novels from the 70s and used a lot in other novels etc, but never actually spoken on screen until the first JJ Trek movie. It was a similar thing with Sulu and his first name Hikaru - given in an early novel but not canon until ST6.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

IIRC "Nyota" was introduced in one of the Trek novels from the 70s and used a lot in other novels etc, but never actually spoken on screen until the first JJ Trek movie. It was a similar thing with Sulu and his first name Hikaru - given in an early novel but not canon until ST6.

Nichelle Nichols has given like two or three different stories about how the name was conceived, not entirely dissimilar to how her story about meeting Martin Luther King, Jr., changed quite a bit over the decades. It began as "I met MLK Jr once and he told me he was a fan of Star Trek" and later became "I was ready to quit Star Trek and had written my resignation when I had a chance meeting with MLK Jr and I told him I was ready to quit and he told me I couldn't possibly quit because my role meant so much, and I just couldn't let him down."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The best part about that cake-hole episode is that the psycho space ghost is indistinguishable from the real keiko so she has to spell it out to Obrien that she's a Demon because he doesn't see the difference until she actually threatens keiko's life.

O'Brien doesn't notice the difference *because he thinks she's putting on a sexy show for him after being away for a while*.

O'Brien and Keiko's relationship, and how she 'treats' him, is a massive Sex Thing for both of them. With tiny breaks to not be inappropriate around their kids. Otherwise, it's 26/7/365 for them.

They're massive freaks, and they love each other utterly.