Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
POV

https://twitter.com/slut4ket/status/1419028632706723840?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm sorry that happened to you; that sounds incredibly painful. There are places on the internet where you can comment on Simpsons trailers, I'm sure of it. Stay strong.

E:

Ok, fair enough. I stopped reading it at that point and just scrolled down to see the figure I was expecting. That's less bad, but the survey still sucks.

nah i don't go to tviv, simpsons was just the first thing to come to mind from growing up watching the sunday night sitcom lineup. they would show ads for what was coming up on that nights simpsons constantly. i'm pretty sure that 70's show ended each episode with a "next week on that 70s show" ad too

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Y'all are spoiling this thread.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Len posted:

nah i don't go to tviv, simpsons was just the first thing to come to mind from growing up watching the sunday night sitcom lineup. they would show ads for what was coming up on that nights simpsons constantly. i'm pretty sure that 70's show ended each episode with a "next week on that 70s show" ad too

Next time, on DRAGON! BALL! Z!

The recaps and previews were so extensive that you basically only needed to watch every third episode to keep track of the plot.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I one had someone go apeshit on me for spoiling a 5 year old trailer for an MMO expansion that they had been playing the whole time(because I had a holy poo poo reaction to it)

the trailer played when you launched the game

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Byzantine posted:

Anytime something I want to see comes out, youtube immediately fills with screaming thumbnails and titles spoiling every bit and I hate it.

All this poo poo about spoilers, when the real villain is this new bizarre genre of THE FIFTY THINGS YOU MISSED IN THIS LATEST EPISODE, or EVERY EASTER EGG IN X! (not even getting into the morphing of the term "easter egg" into "just a thing that existed in the show").

I haven't watched live tv in so long, did that trend of having a show after the show to talk about the show finally die off? (e.g. Talking Dead after The Walking Dead)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Morrowind, because if you know what you're doing you can craft a potion in the first half hour that lets you jump really, really high.

You don’t need to craft such a potion, you can find scrolls to jump high within the first 5 minutes of starting a new character.

The guy who suddenly fell out of the sky and died upon impact will be carrying them. Very convenient!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

All this poo poo about spoilers, when the real villain is this new bizarre genre of THE FIFTY THINGS YOU MISSED IN THIS LATEST EPISODE, or EVERY EASTER EGG IN X! (not even getting into the morphing of the term "easter egg" into "just a thing that existed in the show").

I haven't watched live tv in so long, did that trend of having a show after the show to talk about the show finally die off? (e.g. Talking Dead after The Walking Dead)

I know podcasts have shows talking about the podcast you just listened to

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I guess if it feels like spoiler culture has changed a lot in recent years I think it's less that people have changed and more that the way we communicate has. It wasn't all that long ago that if you wanted to talk about a movie or a TV show you'd go to your favourite forum or blog or whatever for doing that, and if you're looking at the Iron Man 2 review or discussion thread you know what you're getting into and should reasonably expect spoilers for Iron Man 2. But nowadays most of the internet is on the same five or six websites where everyone's encouraged to belt out everything they're thinking all the time to everyone, and you just don't get that filtering any more. The algorithm will decide whether you want to see people's reactions to the big twists in the movies you want to watch and it's up to all those individuals to warn you if they're going to spoil anything, every time.

In short, social media itself is the idiot here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/Luiseach/status/1419338903769731079?s=20

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IMO wait a reasonable amount of time after a show/movie/book/game has been released before you freely talk about it without spoilers, but then spoiler it again if you’re in a conversation where someone says they haven’t seen it (unless they say they don’t mind)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
^ thats because of the netflix binge watching model where people intensely care about whatever is the hot flavor of the week/month before forgetting it and moving on to the new flavor of the nano second.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
One thing that's fun to discuss is: does mentioning the fact that there's a twist, just in general (without saying what the twist even is), itself a spoiler?

Some people get bent out of shape about that, because sometimes the whole point of the twist is that it's unexpected. If you know that a twist is coming then it can definitely affect your viewing experience...I don't want to say "ruin", per se, but certainly you're not fully engaged with the narrative as you might've been because part of you is now on the lookout for the twist. There's definitely a magic to getting totally sideswiped by something unexpected, you know?

Of course, LOTS of media have twists, so it's kinda dumb to get mad about being told "hey an unexpected thing happens in this story". Like...yeah, of course it does, that's what we prefer to happen, people often criticize a story if it's TOO predictable.

It all just depends on your familiarity with the media in question. Like, if you're into murder mysteries or M. Night Shyamalan movies, then it's not exactly a spoiler to be told there's a twist involved. But in other cases, if you don't already have the expectation, then yeah it can suck if someone spoils it for you, even if they don't give away the exact nature of the twist.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Goons think Predator is a movie with a surprise twist

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I watched the sixth sense without knowing anything about it, I only had it because my parents rented the tape. I watched it on a 13 inch crt and it blew my mind and made me aware of things like foreshadowing for the first time. I have never enjoyed a twist ending since because I pay too much attention to details looking for the hints.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Shnakepup posted:

One thing that's fun to discuss is: does mentioning the fact that there's a twist, just in general (without saying what the twist even is), itself a spoiler?

Some people get bent out of shape about that, because sometimes the whole point of the twist is that it's unexpected. If you know that a twist is coming then it can definitely affect your viewing experience...I don't want to say "ruin", per se, but certainly you're not fully engaged with the narrative as you might've been because part of you is now on the lookout for the twist. There's definitely a magic to getting totally sideswiped by something unexpected, you know?

Of course, LOTS of media have twists, so it's kinda dumb to get mad about being told "hey an unexpected thing happens in this story". Like...yeah, of course it does, that's what we prefer to happen, people often criticize a story if it's TOO predictable.

It all just depends on your familiarity with the media in question. Like, if you're into murder mysteries or M. Night Shyamalan movies, then it's not exactly a spoiler to be told there's a twist involved. But in other cases, if you don't already have the expectation, then yeah it can suck if someone spoils it for you, even if they don't give away the exact nature of the twist.

I think it depends on the nature of the story and what you are discussing - just saying, for example, that Chilling Adventures of Sabrina doesn't only employ satanist/Judeo-christian imagery but also evokes things from all over varying folklores from germanic to lovecraftian and wiccan isn't spoiling any plots, it's just clarifying what kind of story it is, and that it varies itself more than people would expect.

Saying that in Season 3 the world ends because it gets killed by the Green Man and Sabrina has to time travel to fix it IS a spoiler.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shnakepup posted:

Genre plays a huge part imo. Like yeah, a murder mystery is pretty twisty by nature so that's not a huge deal but anything, where there's a huge twist that recontextualizes the rest of the movie, is something I'd probably avoid

Like "something unexpected happens" vs "something happens that demolishes your assumptions about what's what this story is"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Len posted:

Goons think Predator is a movie with a surprise twist

It would be better if it did. The opening scene that shows the alien craft flying to earth just makes the movie worse.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I think theres two completely different convos going on and wires are getting crossed here

Thinking "talking about the trailer/advertising/casting/characters shoe color is a spoiler" is stupid/going too far and "all spoilers are stupid/pointless" is not the same thing. All the anti-spoiler posts seem directed towards the 2nd thing/tiggum specifically while a good portion of the spoiler neutral people are talking about the first thing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

lobsterminator posted:

It would be better if it did. The opening scene that shows the alien craft flying to earth just makes the movie worse.

You would still have the fact that the alien isn't supposed to be a lol surprise twist

Predator tells you what it is right up front that's not a twist that's just the story

https://youtu.be/Y1txEAywdiw

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

flavor.flv posted:

I watched the sixth sense without knowing anything about it, I only had it because my parents rented the tape. I watched it on a 13 inch crt and it blew my mind and made me aware of things like foreshadowing for the first time. I have never enjoyed a twist ending since because I pay too much attention to details looking for the hints.

Same but different for me - I enjoy actively trying to figure things out as I see hints, as you mentioned. My partner, however, not so much.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

https://twitter.com/lavern_spicer/status/1418873481245122561?s=19

my fantasies are getting darker month to month

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Depending on your translation, God is referred to with a pronoun in the first 4 or 5 sentences.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

These people can't all have slept through that day in English class. Could they have?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

flavor.flv posted:

Wait till you see that film with two Tyler Durdens.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

gbut posted:

Wait till you see that film with two Tyler Durdens.

memento?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/supermathskid/status/1419341843687526408

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The number of people in the comments sliding in to say dumb poo poo like “you’re right but why should we care about a 2000 year old book?” or “the bible also doesn’t have guns!” is staggering. How the gently caress are so many people failing to dunk this easy alley-oop?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Probably because it wouldn't do any good, they'd be like YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN YOU DUMB PEDANTIC LEFTIST and block you

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I only believe in HIS Word, and HIS Word doesn't include pronouns!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pththya-lyi posted:

These people can't all have slept through that day in English class. Could they have?

Yes.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lil Nas X is officially cancelled. He deleted this tweet.

https://twitter.com/LilNasX/status/1418566039747563529

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Someone has completely failed to understand gender fluid

https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/1417460393371443202

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Inceltown posted:

Someone has completely failed to understand gender fluid

https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/1417460393371443202

Or maybe they took the term literally :eek:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Gaper, an app for Gapists

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

What is this moment abbreviations?
I, in this moment, very realistic, next moment, unpredictable

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

not only are there pronouns in the bible but like the very first story after creation, told in chapter 2, is about them making whole new pronouns to satisfy some snowflake new character

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not so much idiotic as it is baffling:
https://twitter.com/Cryptoterra/status/1419488869481730049?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

GreenMetalSun posted:

In a way, I'm glad to see they're all teens/kids. All kids do stupid things.

Tiktok is really loving up kids because of this poo poo though. Suicide Tiktok is a thing and unsurprisingly, there's a measurable uptick in actual suicide attempts from those young people that follow it.