Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I noticed after I posted. Master is a lot of time, like enough to read leisurely but I obviously do not always read throughly. So it probably is just a lot of time to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
So this prison DLC is straight up butcher bay? Oh yes please!

Shame we can’t give jensen a bad dye job ala DX1.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

site posted:

I'm planning on trying invisible war for the first time after i wrap up dx1. I've already grabbed some unofficial patches recommended by pcgamingwiki, are there any tips gameplay/mission wise? side stuff easily missed and the like

Yeah don't play it :smuggo:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:eyepop:

tbf i did say try, no promise that i'd see it all the way through

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's the worst main Deus Ex game, but I don't think it's bad per se. I replayed it not too long ago and didn't regret it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well for the moment anyways I can't even get it to launch the game after I press start in the main menu, so I may not play it after all

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

site posted:

I still love I War. Make sure to grab the “Visible Upgrade” mod. Adds native widescreen support, fixes the minimizing loading area issue, adds in the HD mods (optional) and even has FOV and other fixes. I play it on 21x9 and it still works a treat thanks to this mod.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

site posted:

The ending is the only good part though. And I'm not just saying that because the game ends after that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Punching bots with the EMP melee aug and super strength is funny in Invisible War.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

Punching bots with the EMP melee aug and super strength is funny in Invisible War.

Accidentally drowning someone in their own shower is a good time too.

And of course just throwing boxes at people.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That reminds me

site posted:

I'm planning on trying invisible war for the first time after i wrap up dx1. I've already grabbed some unofficial patches recommended by pcgamingwiki, are there any tips gameplay/mission wise? side stuff easily missed and the like

If you play, feel free to gently caress around trying out augs, even if they seem like they might not be good, same with weapon mods. Unlike DX, there are way more augs and mods than you can use, and if you don't like the one you chose, you can replace it later.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Mmm. Also, save some spare augmentation canisters - there's a point in the game (ice level) where you no longer have any use for the hacking aug, and you should switch out for a combat upgrade.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Finished the last DLC,not sure how i feel about it,forgettable plot but very open ended levels and i thought the therapist angle was strong,but the objectives were unclear and i frequently got lost.

Best bits : entering a supermax prison and the first thing i do is snoop around every single cell,acquire booze,drink it directly in front of a guard and face no repercussions.

3 minutes later and i’m armed with every gun and tool in the prison not to mention the praxis stuffed down my pants and i’ve stun gunned practically every guard and hacked every camera i possibly can.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Much more enjoyable doing the prison no-augs imo

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
If anyone feels like giftbombing their friends Deus Ex GOTY, it's under a buck on Steam again right now.

What did the goty designation even add btw? Just the patches and multiplayer? I'm certain there was never new content.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

jojoinnit posted:

If anyone feels like giftbombing their friends Deus Ex GOTY, it's under a buck on Steam again right now.
Is it? 25 shekels where I'm at.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

jojoinnit posted:

What did the goty designation even add btw? Just the patches and multiplayer? I'm certain there was never new content.

Correct, it was normal at the time to release a goty version with the final patch. Downloading a several hundred mb patch was a struggle for a lot of people around 2001, it made sense to release a definite version. Also patch cycles were short, virtually no game received more than a couple of patches, most receiving none.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Xander77 posted:

Is it? 25 shekels where I'm at.

My apologies, it was Good Old Gog.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Samopsa posted:

Correct, it was normal at the time to release a goty version with the final patch. Downloading a several hundred mb patch was a struggle for a lot of people around 2001, it made sense to release a definite version. Also patch cycles were short, virtually no game received more than a couple of patches, most receiving none.

DX:GOTY had a few changes aside from integrating the final patch, oddly enough

https://deusex.fandom.com/wiki/Deus_Ex:_Game_of_the_Year_Edition

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Samopsa posted:

Downloading a several hundred mb patch was a struggle for a lot of people around 2001, it made sense to release a definite version.

On the subject of download sizes: I remember people complaining that they couldn't get on the boat to leave Liberty Island. The script waits for the guy to finish his line, which means that it never triggers if, say, you downloaded a rip with all the voice files removed to save space.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Huh. I wasn't aware of most of the stuff under "Dummied Out" here. Which mods restore level versions and combat barks \ dialogue?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The GOTY edition also had some feelies that I don’t think were in the regular version, like a copy of an in game newspaper.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Butterfly Valley posted:

Much more enjoyable doing the prison no-augs imo

Def this.

The prison DLC is already really fun, but no-augs turns it into basically almost a Thief game. Which is a great thing.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

It seems like there are three popular mods now that modernize the game/restore cut content: GDMX v9, GDMX v10 and Revision. Which one should I play? I played vanilla multiple times.

e: there's also Shifter and Biomod but they seem quite old?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Biomod is just vanilla rebalanced. It basically makes shifter obsolete.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Captain Walker posted:

On the subject of download sizes: I remember people complaining that they couldn't get on the boat to leave Liberty Island. The script waits for the guy to finish his line, which means that it never triggers if, say, you downloaded a rip with all the voice files removed to save space.

One thing I always found interesting... if you had a :filez: copy and therefore couldn't leave Liberty Island, you got exactly as much gameplay as the demo. I'm wondering whether the programmers anticipated that people would do what they did and programmed it accordingly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

a7m2 posted:

It seems like there are three popular mods now that modernize the game/restore cut content: GDMX v9, GDMX v10 and Revision. Which one should I play? I played vanilla multiple times.

e: there's also Shifter and Biomod but they seem quite old?
V9 Is by the original author of GMDX, while V10 is a revision of that that takes some jank out if I remember correctly. There’s not a huge difference, but V10 is a little more forgiving gameplay-wise. GMDX is the ideal way to play now as far as I’m concerned.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Couldn’t you fix that by including 0.1 second long blank sound files?

E: re Liberty Island

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

V9 Is by the original author of GMDX, while V10 is a revision of that that takes some jank out if I remember correctly. There’s not a huge difference, but V10 is a little more forgiving gameplay-wise. GMDX is the ideal way to play now as far as I’m concerned.

What makes it better than Revision? I hear Revision changes some of the levels but GMDX changes the actual gameplay?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Revision changes all the levels around. It's worth a play through if you've played the game 30 times and just want something different. I don't think it really improves anything, but it's fun to at least have a sort of new experience.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

a7m2 posted:

What makes it better than Revision? I hear Revision changes some of the levels but GMDX changes the actual gameplay?
Revision makes a lot of dumb changes to the level geometry and textures. A good example is Manderly’s office at UNATCO. In the original game it’s set up in a way that people walking in will always be facing him. Revision clutters up his office with poo poo, and has you approach his desk from the side.

GMDX uses the New Vision mod to make the game look better, but it’s still true to the original. Most of the changes are gameplay related, and are pretty subtle at that. The main reason I like GMDX the best is that it makes the gun play a lot more fun.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
There's one feature Shifter has that I like but Biomod leaves out, but I can't remember what it is.

I need to play the PS2 version of this game. I hunted it down specifically and I even bought the official strategy guide because I stumbled on it for $5 at a FLGS, but it's going to be tough playing with no mouse for aiming and a controller on a game clearly designed for a keyboard. I think Easy difficulty for my first run.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

JustJeff88 posted:

There's one feature Shifter has that I like but Biomod leaves out, but I can't remember what it is.

I need to play the PS2 version of this game. I hunted it down specifically and I even bought the official strategy guide because I stumbled on it for $5 at a FLGS, but it's going to be tough playing with no mouse for aiming and a controller on a game clearly designed for a keyboard. I think Easy difficulty for my first run.

I had the ps2 version,the only thing i remember about it is some of the levels are basically cut in half and like you say the aiming and stuff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Couldn’t you fix that by including 0.1 second long blank sound files?

E: re Liberty Island

Yes, if you knew what the problem was.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Gynovore posted:

One thing I always found interesting... if you had a :filez: copy and therefore couldn't leave Liberty Island, you got exactly as much gameplay as the demo. I'm wondering whether the programmers anticipated that people would do what they did and programmed it accordingly.

That was before broad band was widely adopted. A lot of warez groups would strip out videos, reduce the quality of or remove audio samples, and in some cases even repackage textures and other art assets just to reduce the amount of data that pirates needed to download. In this case, pirates decided the voice sample of the boat pilot talking to JC wasn't necessary, and cut it out entirely. This crashed the game whenever it tried to access the missing file.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

John_A_Tallon posted:

That was before broad band was widely adopted. A lot of warez groups would strip out videos, reduce the quality of or remove audio samples, and in some cases even repackage textures and other art assets just to reduce the amount of data that pirates needed to download. In this case, pirates decided the voice sample of the boat pilot talking to JC wasn't necessary, and cut it out entirely. This crashed the game whenever it tried to access the missing file.

Better than that. There was no crash. You would talk to the boat driver at the correct time and the subtitle would say "hop in" or whatever and then nothing would happen. No crash, just apparently a cue to get on the boat somehow, but there was no way to do so.

This would cause people to ask on forums "how do I get on the boat?" thus outing themselves as having pirated the game.

edit: for more context, the pirated copy lacked ALL voice lines to keep the size down - they didn't just remove the boat driver's line only. You had to play to the end of the Liberty Island mission to even get to that part, so the pirates testing it must have only played a bit to make sure it still worked (which for most things did) and said "good enough"

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 30, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This just reminds me of how I didn't know Max Payne had a voiceover during the comic segments for years because the ripper took em all out lol

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Apparently arkham asylum developers made sure that pirated copies of the game would remove gliding or the ability to hang off ledges,like was said before people would go on forums asking why this was happening and outing themselves.

GTA IV had permanent drunk physics and cars that would instantly explode.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Apparently arkham asylum developers made sure that pirated copies of the game would remove gliding or the ability to hang off ledges,like was said before people would go on forums asking why this was happening and outing themselves.

GTA IV had permanent drunk physics and cars that would instantly explode.

True but one of my favorite GTA 4 moments was trying to outrun the cops on that one long street that has the not-Washington Arch on it. Tried to hang a left, failed because every car understeered in that game, hit the waist height wall fast enough to eject from the car, and landed clear of the cop radius.

Hell yeah! *limps to nearest hospital*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Casimir Radon posted:

I agree with this entire post. Just disable the stamina system, that poo poo is wack