Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"If you buy all the onions I'll throw in the box for free."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

^^^^^^^also good :hai:^^^^^

Mill Village posted:

The box customers at my work are a huge pain in the rear end, but at least they don’t try taking boxes that already have product in them. What did she expect you to do? Just dump it out? That’s insane.

i was torn between slashing the bottom out, cutting the handles must of the way, or just dumping the onions on the floor and handing the drat thing to her and ask her if she's happy with herself.

i think she expected me to just dump them in a random crate, which i probably would have if i had any, but then she went and whined about it and now I'm going to gently caress with her to the best of my ability and the limits of my pettiness and spite :twisted:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 25, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if my shopping habit eccentricities forced me to use a box instead of a bag, to the point where i would voluntarily spend my own time combing through the back of a store looking for a box rather than shrugging my shoulders and using a bag, i would just keep some spare boxes in my car just in case

and based on my current bag hoarding tendencies, i would also have floor to ceiling stacks of boxes in my stair closets, as an extra level of unnecessary precaution

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Can't wait to hear about her next rant and exclaiming she'll never shop there again.

You'll breathe a sigh of relief only to witness her back in the next day.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
"I'm sorry we don't offer boxes, we're required to crush them so that we can get money back from the recycling"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Facility needs some people to pack on the heaviest line during break. Not a big deal, happens semi-regularly. So the assistant manager sends a bunch of people to an early break so they come back while the rest of the department goes to break.

He sends the indirects. The problem solvers digging though the databases to find missing/late shipments. The SLAM operators who manage the printer machines. The waterspiders that get supplies. You know: the people with some sort of responsibility that you can trust to do stuff.

Five minutes into break he starts calling out on the radio for anyone to respond. Radios, you know, those things we primarily give to people who have earned a position that requires them and proven they some level of responsibility?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

"I'm sorry we don't offer boxes, we're required to crush them so that we can get money back from the recycling"

People that ask you hold boxes and then never come to pick them up.

You have one day to pick up your boxes. You have thirty minutes to pick up your boxes. You have five minutes to pick up your boxes. Your boxes have been baled into a cube. You have one day to pick up your cube.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I've had some interactions with people at least midlevel in policy at Amazon. What I've found incredible is that the crush, the uncertainty, the lack of match between expectations and reality, the detailed and yet ineffective planning, the turnover and exhaustion, somehow seems to go all the way up the ladder, frequently to no benefit.

Star Man posted:

Also, I've thought about writing up an effort post on how to get a job in the United States Postal Service and what the different crafts are for anyone curious about it. Maybe tomorrow evening.

Just imagine what working for the United States government, but with all the drama of any retail location, and you only kinda sorta are a federal employee.

I would be extremely interested in reading about this. I also cannot recommend the federal jobs thread in BFC enough. IRS is often hiring, if you're in the right area!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Discendo Vox posted:

I've had some interactions with people at least midlevel in policy at Amazon. What I've found incredible is that the crush, the uncertainty, the lack of match between expectations and reality, the detailed and yet ineffective planning, the turnover and exhaustion, somehow seems to go all the way up the ladder, frequently to no benefit.

I would be extremely interested in reading about this. I also cannot recommend the federal jobs thread in BFC enough. IRS is often hiring, if you're in the right area!

The agency that is currently intentionally being starved of resources doesn't seem like a great career move.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Volmarias posted:

The agency that is currently intentionally being starved of resources doesn't seem like a great career move.

seems like a lateral move from retail, at least

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hail savings

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Midjack posted:

hail savings

:hellyeah:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Volmarias posted:

lol sure ok

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Volmarias posted:

they're set to get a huge funding boost if the dem package goes through, and more generally they have a lot of low-level openings with all the tenure and benefits that federal service entails.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Midjack posted:

hail savings

Yes.

Star Man posted:

lol sure ok

He's not wrong that it's being constantly hosed with and the Dems aren't doing a great job of unfucking it atm.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
My province is changing our Covid status to green in a couple days. This means basically no restrictions since we're at like 85% first dose / 70% second dose. Hooray!

My company has decided that since vaccinated people can still transfer the virus, we're not going to lift any of our restrictions at all. So we're still wearing masks in 35 degree humidity in a warehouse with no actual ventilation system while moving tires and appliances among other things. gently caress.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
In the week or so that I've been gone my job has tried and failed to fill my position with two different people. I wonder how many months it'll be before its close to being under control.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

JackSplater posted:

My province is changing our Covid status to green in a couple days. This means basically no restrictions since we're at like 85% first dose / 70% second dose. Hooray!

My company has decided that since vaccinated people can still transfer the virus, we're not going to lift any of our restrictions at all. So we're still wearing masks in 35 degree humidity in a warehouse with no actual ventilation system while moving tires and appliances among other things. gently caress.

Ooof, try to get permission to at least wear a face shield instead. It provides some protection and while the misting-over of the face shield and it getting blurry as it accumulates stains and whatever can be annoying, I would by far rather wear that than a face mask while working.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

In the week or so that I've been gone my job has tried and failed to fill my position with two different people. I wonder how many months it'll be before its close to being under control.

Oh poo poo I missed it, did you quit ? Hopefully a newer or better gig ?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I could not imagine wearing a face shield in a warehouse environment. I'd be smacking it against things and smushing it against my face dozens of times a day. By the end of every shift it would be so smeared and scratched it would have to be thrown away, and even the cheapest ones are $5 apiece so that would add up fast.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

That's awesome!

When I quit my position went to this poor machine of a worker that was happy to start 1pm Fridays and finish 11am Saturdays to keep it under check.
It still went out the window and they had unworked pallets just chilling out in the carpark for a bit because it wouldn't fit in the dock but it was pretty disappointing that through sheer exploitation of a salary position by not paying him for 60% of his extra work they got back on task and within budget.

Honestly it's my own fault for being surprised.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I could not imagine wearing a face shield in a warehouse environment. I'd be smacking it against things and smushing it against my face dozens of times a day. By the end of every shift it would be so smeared and scratched it would have to be thrown away, and even the cheapest ones are $5 apiece so that would add up fast.

Well, when we were masked up earlier this year, in a warehouse setting, I did wear a face shield. I think generally it lasted about two months before I needed a replacement. The only thing I hated is that any time it was warm, the sponge under the head band would just soak up endless amounts of forehead sweat and get super gross. So I cleaned the whole thing with ethanol at least once every shift.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am now a certified postal cash register jockey (I had to do six days of training and take a test)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Star Man posted:

I am now a certified postal cash register jockey (I had to do six days of training and take a test)

It is okay to steal just a little bit? T/F

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Devor posted:

It is okay to steal just a little bit? T/F

Only if I want a visit from the United States Postal Inspection Service.

But for real, take everything you know about retail except for cash handling and basic customer service, and delete it from your memory. I would not be surprised if being a sales and services associate with USPS has more in common with being a bank teller than a cashier at a place like Target.

I get to now deal with things like filling out customs forms for international parcels, money orders, and Bank Secrecy Act compliance.

If I gently caress up badly enough, I can get the USPIS sent after me and try to hide behind my union, but they can only do so much. Failure to comply with the BSA can get me a fine of $50,000 per incident.

While going through the undeliverable bulk business mail, if I pocket a sheet of coupons to Subway, it's considered stealing the mail. I will be fired over it because that's breaking postal law. It does not matter that it's junk mail that can't be delivered for whatever reason and is being sent to a sorting and distribution center for destruction. If I purposely let endorsed bulk mail or first-class mail get put in with the UBBM, it's destruction of mail.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh cool, a USPS goon! So long story short my company credit card # got stolen and there were some fraudulent charges, so we've been trying to replace it, but twice now the replacement card has been returned to sender rather than delivered to our billing address. Credit card company thought that was odd so they shut down all the cards on the account (business owner, GM, and the manager of our other store). Any idea why a properly addressed item like a credit card would just fail to deliver and get returned to sender?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

No one wants a visit from Jack Danger.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Inspector 34 posted:

Oh cool, a USPS goon! So long story short my company credit card # got stolen and there were some fraudulent charges, so we've been trying to replace it, but twice now the replacement card has been returned to sender rather than delivered to our billing address. Credit card company thought that was odd so they shut down all the cards on the account (business owner, GM, and the manager of our other store). Any idea why a properly addressed item like a credit card would just fail to deliver and get returned to sender?

Isn't there usually some kind of fail code attached, like Not Deliverable As Addressed, Attempted Not Known, Wrong Number, etc?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Inspector 34 posted:

I don't know. If it was reaching the destination office, then a carrier (or clerk if it was going to a PO box) would have to endorse that mail as undeliverable for whatever reason. Someone at your company needs to call their office and provide whatever information they have, because I can't answer that question.

It's also not my job to help random goons out with their problems with their mail. I'm just here to gripe about my retail-adjacent job.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Sorry, didn't mean to poo poo up the thread. Definitely not my intention to bring work into a thread about bitching about work. Didn't really think that one through.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just have to put my foot down on it right away because people really do start to ask me questions I can't even answer. It's nothing personal.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Totally get it. If you wanted to answer questions you'd probably just start a thread for it in A/T or something.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Star Man posted:

I just have to put my foot down on it right away because people really do start to ask me questions I can't even answer. It's nothing personal.

Why is the line so slow? <:saddowns:>

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Volmarias posted:

Why is the line so slow? <:saddowns:>

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The Lord Bude posted:

"Also, here are the ones we sell."

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

I visited D.C. once and the postal museum guards were the only museum guards packing heat. Huge rear end revolvers none the less.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know we are understaffed but getting asked to stay over every day gets so old.

Today was the first day I actually got off at the right time. It felt amazing.

I don't mind staying 30 minutes late because that covers my unpaid lunch. But an hour over is just dumb.

And even an hour late could be acceptable if I got any loving thanks for it.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

And even an hour late could be acceptable if I got any loving thanks for it.

Working retail and expecting thanks? You're in the wrong area friendo :cheeky:

edit: but I get it, you do ALL THIS and not even a token 'thank you'? gently caress those people

Ashye fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Every single day when one of my staff members leaves for the day I say goodbye and thank them for all the work they put in that day. Every single person. It’s basic courtesy and it’s pretty disgusting that so many don’t bother at all it would seem. Hell if they actually significantly inconvenienced themselves by staying back I’ll usually buy them a box of chocolates.