Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

hobbesmaster posted:

This might actually come up in endwalker, I bet she’s officially there to guard or monitor the remnants of new sharlya, especially the library and antitower.

I believe that was her stated excuse for why she was allowed to stay behind, or something like that. Well, that and the forum probably knows better than to try to force the stubborn old witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

hobbesmaster posted:

This might actually come up in endwalker, I bet she’s officially there to guard or monitor the remnants of new sharlya, especially the library and antitower.

I’m pretty sure she’s fully off the grid

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hellioning posted:

I'm fairly certain the 'consequences' are standard 'this ancient forbidden technique lowers your lifespan', IE it's Bad because it will Kill You Eventually but not in a timeframe that is liable to actually show up in the show/game/whatever.

yeah i would be pretty surprised if she ends up paying any cost in the MSQ. it's the sort of thing that feels like a big chekov's gun but often just sorta goes unmentioned

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m pretty sure she’s fully off the grid

She basically went Galt.
She has enough clout to demand to be left alone, and the Forum was probably happy to oblige because it meant she wasn't in Sharlayan calling them out on their poo poo.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

jokes posted:

Thankfully it’s usually supposed to be like a couple days or whatever.

I think the entire events of FF14 take place over a couple months?

This was a bit ago, but some of the hardest evidence we have for the passage of time is in Heavensward which we know took a -minimum- of 9 months, as you see a couple go from first meeting to having had a child together over the patches, with their storyline updating with each new patch and ending 3.5, alongside patches starting with explicit references to months passing since the end of the previous patch including between 3.0 and 3.1 and 3.3 to 3.4

Cirina fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 26, 2021

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Y'shtolla's natural inclination is to end up in a cave with a whole buncha books. Happened to her In ShB. There's a lil in-between quest dialog where she's all "oh man, I used to complain Motoya's cave just had everything strewn about and now look at this! I've become her! Ugh!!"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’d imagine Yshtola and Graha and Alphinaud and Alisaie are permanent central characters.

Thancred went from “I burn, I pine, I perish” to “full-on mourning and not handling it well” to “Dad gun. So what?” so what’s left? Probably dying so he can be with Minfilia in death or whatever? Or just abandoning it all to find a new purpose somewhere else?

Urianger’s a huge mystical nerd and that’s always in demand narratively.

I want to see characters concluded. If it’s about creating a living world they pop back in here and there but their stories should be concluded sometimes or else they overstay their welcome. Yshtola is cheeky but very firmly not driving the narrative and that’s a good place for a poster child, and Graha Tia is kind of a male foil to her characterization. The Twins are just the WoL/Scions’ children, so as far as a core group goes no problems here.

As far as trusts go you even have two DPS, a healer, and a guy who can fill any role.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Estinien owes me, his rear end is responsible for Stormblood. Yes, it worked out, but now I have to put up with Zenos.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

With the conflict between Zodiark and Hydaleyn ended and the threat of calamities and umbral eras ended for good, the Scions of the Seventh Dawn will disband, their job complete.

2 seconds later they'll announce a new group name and say you can't get rid of them that easy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Really excited to see how G'raha (My #1 Fan and One of my cherished children) and Esitinien (One of my greatest admirers) take to Zenos doing his whole "My dearest friend slow horny inhale, my greatest foe..." Shtick.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gruckles posted:

With the conflict between Zodiark and Hydaleyn ended and the threat of calamities and umbral eras ended for good, the Scions of the Seventh Dawn will disband, their job complete.

2 seconds later they'll announce a new group name and say you can't get rid of them that easy.

“Grand company of eorzea”

I almost hope not, if that’s where endwalker lands that almost makes alphinaud the main character from 2.0.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Not sure I'd call Estinien one of our greatest admirers but more so a friend who greatly respects us.

Still, I am looking forward to Graha seeing Zenos go full Zenos on us.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mysticblade posted:

Not sure I'd call Estinien one of our greatest admirers but more so a friend who greatly respects us.

Still, I am looking forward to Graha seeing Zenos go full Zenos on us.

The man shadow stalked us for months just in case things got dicey and he needed to swoop in to save the day. He's also totally in love with you like all the Ishgardian dudes you hung out with.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, it's possible. I completely missed that Haurchefant was into us until after he was dead and I didn't realise Aymeric was into me until he asked me out on a date. I just figured Estinien was an anti social sort of guy who wanted to avoid getting work dumped on him by Aymeric.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm just saying the twins need a new dad and estinien has big Step-Dad energy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
gilgamesh can adopt them when he returns from the void

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

gilgamesh can adopt them when he returns from the void

Im not marrying Greg he's always out chasing Butz

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Gruckles posted:

The A-tier actions all end up going off to do their own things after Endwalker would then allow a "getting the band back together" quest line in 8.0 or 9.0 or whatever...except that's also basically the plotline for the front half of Shadowbringers I suppose.

Top tier Scions "resign" to do their own things (including the WoL) and the understudies all step up and take over would be one way to do it, with the organisation "the Scions of the Seventh Dawn" taking a step back in importance to the PC's story - they basically become another part of the plot when needed rather than the central thread.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Really excited to see how G'raha (My #1 Fan and One of my cherished children) and Esitinien (One of my greatest admirers) take to Zenos doing his whole "My dearest friend slow horny inhale, my greatest foe..." Shtick.

*G'raha's eyes go big and starry eyed again*: THE Zenos?? The famous Zenos who fought the Warrior of Light, died and came back to life to fight him again? I can't believe I get to see such a thing in person

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Macaluso posted:

*G'raha's eyes go big and starry eyed again*: THE Zenos?? The famous Zenos who fought the Warrior of Light, died and came back to life to fight him again? I can't believe I get to see such a thing in person

Finally, someone who understands

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Macaluso posted:

“Oh you have a fandaniel too?”

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

hobbesmaster posted:

“Oh you have a fandaniel too?”

...gently caress.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I love G'raha Tia, I love Fancy Dan, and I love Zenos.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I know at least one person who would be white hot with rage at someone calling G'raha the WoL's Fandaniel. :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yapping Eevee posted:

I know at least one person who would be white hot with rage at someone calling G'raha the WoL's Fandaniel. :allears:

I think Zenos really needs to push the player's buttons a bit more, I'm sure they'll figure something out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Is it Fandaniel?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Terper posted:

I love G'raha Tia, I love Fancy Dan, and I love Zenos.

Oh, I do too, except maybe downgrade Zenos to like.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm pretty sure Zenos is my Fandaniel.

It's fancys all the way dan.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yapping Eevee posted:

And I want to die to! Oh Yes. I want to die and save everyone with me in a paroxysm of pain and sacrifice!

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Macaluso posted:

I know this is about how Graha reacts to Estinien and Lyse but now it has me wondering about the bad timeline. Black Rose gets unleashed after WoL beats Elidi-Zenos at Ghimlyt Dark and triggers the Eighth Calamity, but what happens to Elidibus and Zenos afterward? Would Zenos still try to get his body back with WoL dead or would he just give up without us? Would Elidibus just keep hanging out in Zenos' body?

Emet would still be alive in that timeline but after the Calamity I assume he would just go back to sleep.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

iPodschun posted:

I know this is about how Graha reacts to Estinien and Lyse but now it has me wondering about the bad timeline. Black Rose gets unleashed after WoL beats Elidi-Zenos at Ghimlyt Dark and triggers the Eighth Calamity, but what happens to Elidibus and Zenos afterward? Would Zenos still try to get his body back with WoL dead or would he just give up without us? Would Elidibus just keep hanging out in Zenos' body?

Emet would still be alive in that timeline but after the Calamity I assume he would just go back to sleep.

IIRC, Black Rose was Emet's idea, but he dropped it once he had his idea on the First to do things over there instead as a less-lethal option. So, presumably, he'd have worked on his followthrough, unless the Black Rose worked too well and killed too many people for him to move to the next phase of Zodiark Re-Redux.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

the_steve posted:

IIRC, Black Rose was Emet's idea, but he dropped it once he had his idea on the First to do things over there instead as a less-lethal option. So, presumably, he'd have worked on his followthrough, unless the Black Rose worked too well and killed too many people for him to move to the next phase of Zodiark Re-Redux.

The Black Rose and the events on the First are intertwined. It only happened because of the light apocalypse. He went to the First because the WoL did, he was all in on using the evil death gas before then, Zenos is the one who didn't like the Black Rose, because it spoils the sport of hunting or whatever. The apocalypses on the reflections are the things that cause the calamities to happen back on the Source. So when the 7th or whatever had its water apocalypse, it caused the big flood to happen through like historical forces.

It's all very vague and mystical, but we know that they're linked. If Hades had killed the WoL and completed the Flood of Light, then the Black Rose thing would have gone forward.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

iPodschun posted:

I think there’s a short story on the website that implies the Bad Timeline went awry enough that the Ascians’ plans are hosed. Midgardsormr and Omega help the future Ironworks rebuild after they send G’raha back in time

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Future Timeline Emet Selch could be a good card to play in the event of flagging subscription numbers, that's a real nice treat they've given themselves to mine for a future story arc

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There needs to be something happening on the Source to prime it to receive the aether from a reflection; the Thirteenth turned into the Void because there was no corresponding disaster ready. It's what happens when the Ascians cause an apocalypse on one of the shards with no further set-up.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I actually don't think our timeline's Emet-Selch is dead. He just got trucked with a laser, there was nothing trapping his soul so that it could be burnt to a crisp like there was for Elidibus, Lahabrea, Igeyorhm, or Nabriales. He was The Toughest Ascian so there's no way he wouldn't have survived that.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

the_steve posted:

The way I remember the sequences of events going are:

Bad timeline - WoL beats Elidi-Zenos, Black Rose gets released on Eorzean forces as response but is unexpectedly potent due to Black Rose being Light-aspected + the First being consumed by Light, Calamity is triggered

New timeline - Graha's interruption means Elidi-Zenos doesn't lose, WoL gets called to the First and starts defeating Lightwardens, Emet realizes something is wrong (maybe due to Black Rose testing being no longer as potent?) and starts following us on the First

There would also be other stuff going on in the bad timeline like Gaius and Alphinaud continuing toward Garlemald with Alphinaud not getting pulled to the First, Estinien not joining Gaius the way he does in the new timeline, Zenos maybe not killing Varis. It's all inconsequential now but I think it's fun to ponder over for a few minutes.

Chillgamesh posted:

I think there’s a short story on the website that implies the Bad Timeline went awry enough that the Ascians’ plans are hosed. Midgardsormr and Omega help the future Ironworks rebuild after they send G’raha back in time
I skimmed through that story again and didn't see much about what else happened afterward with the Ascians. There's no mention of a Ninth Calamity but I assume Elidibus would have continued working toward the full rejoining after the Eighth Calamity was successful.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Chillgamesh posted:

I actually don't think our timeline's Emet-Selch is dead. He just got trucked with a laser, there was nothing trapping his soul so that it could be burnt to a crisp like there was for Elidibus, Lahabrea, Igeyorhm, or Nabriales. He was The Toughest Ascian so there's no way he wouldn't have survived that.

I mean, he did show up to save us from Elidibus, and he had some sort of afterlife powers as Hades, so he could show up again. Probably not for a while, or as a major antagonist, but in some form.

In 3 years, I could definitely see visiting some city on a brand new continent and just running into Emet-Selch in his old fancy Imperial outfit on some random city street :v:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

iPodschun posted:

I skimmed through that story again and didn't see much about what else happened afterward with the Ascians. There's no mention of a Ninth Calamity but I assume Elidibus would have continued working toward the full rejoining after the Eighth Calamity was successful.

I think the fact that nothing happened on the Source after 200 years to prevent them from sending G'raha back in time implies that, at least, Zenos and the Garleans aren't around any more, and since the largest society on the Bad Timeline Source would be the people of the Ironworks working with Midgardsormr and Omega, that would imply the Ascians weren't manipulating anyone. I guess they could have all gone to another shard though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Emet Selch is dead. The only thing we use trapping an ascian soul for is to enable us to then break said soul, which we very much did when we threw a giant spear of light through it.