Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

This dude rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

RFC2324 posted:

Thats not how cryptocurrency works. It has to be mined into existence, if it could just be programmed into existence then people WOULD just program it into existence.

You can do whatever you want when making a cryptocurrency.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm not even going to bother reading the article before I conclude that the Daily Mail is badly misrepresenting something a non-fishbelly white politician in the UK did or said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

For those who have no context of British politics, this is the father of the “eat out to help out” campaign that spent the better part of a billion pounds sterling.

In exchange, it was responsible for one in six coronavirus infections.

It was one of the worst deals ever made by any country in history.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Brilliant campaign though. What, you will never eat out?

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Also in the UK, crops rotting because of Brexit:

https://www.euronews.com/2021/07/14/devastating-crops-left-to-rot-in-england-as-brexit-begins-to-bite

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

RFC2324 posted:

Thats not how cryptocurrency works. It has to be mined into existence, if it could just be programmed into existence then people WOULD just program it into existence.

And there you have it, the reason why cryptocurrencies are worthless.

Anyone can make a new one tomorrow.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Brilliant campaign though. What, you will never eat out?

“Heroes don’t do that.”

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

And there you have it, the reason why cryptocurrencies are worthless.

Anyone can make a new one tomorrow.

This isnt really a good argument. Anyone can print paper and call it money but you don't see it happening every day. Fiat money exists because people believe they can use it and get something in return. A digital currency can exist, and almost already does as physical cash continues to lose relevance.

Bitcoins drawbacks as a currency currently include stuff like high transaction costs, high volatility, a limited pool (deflation is built in), and not widely used.

I think fully digital currency of some type is inevitable, especially if a country can track it worldwide.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you strip away all the mythology created around cryptocurrency and how it will change the world and you can be your own bank and all that, there’s nothing to it.

Literally the only thing “blockchain technology” adds to the world is that instead of trusting some entity to keep the books and/or scrupulously auditing them, you can instead trust a cartel that wastes more energy and hardware than anyone else at arbitrary mathematics puzzles.

We already have digital currency. It’s called “USD”.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm still not sure how Crypto isn't the exact loving thing as fiat currency. No one's backing it with gently caress all- at least if the USD plummets, we can throw some bombs around and make everyone miserable on our way out

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm still not sure how Crypto isn't the exact loving thing as fiat currency. No one's backing it with gently caress all- at least if the USD plummets, we can throw some bombs around and make everyone miserable on our way out

It is as long as people accept it as a medium for exchange. Currency is subjective but economists have a set of standards like fungible, widely accepted, stable, etc for it. Something like bitcoin rates poorly on a lot of these standards which is why I don't see it being widely adopted but there could be niche uses for it.

Edit: The bitcoin paradigm doesn't have to hold for all cryptocurrency, someone could just keep a ledger and give unique identifiers to people or something and hand out bits and its the same thing. A nation state wouldn't have to rely on miners to maintain the ledger and could build something less power intensive.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 25, 2021

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

I mean, there are so many differences, where to start

For one, the value of a fiat currency is tied in part to the economic health of a country because the goods and services a country produces are largely paid for in its native currency.

Taking “crypto” to mean btc/eth, governments of developed countries also demand payment of taxes in their native currency, not crypto. Kind of adds a utility to the currency if your taxes are due.

Transactions are far more efficient in time, volume, power, and marginal cost with fiat payment processing systems.

The entire global debt system is tied to a reserve currency, and it’s ever gonna be crypto.

You can’t 51% proof of work attack a bank account.

etc etc

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

lightpole posted:

It is as long as people accept it as a medium for exchange. Currency is subjective but economists have a set of standards like fungible, widely accepted, stable, etc for it. Something like bitcoin rates poorly on a lot of these standards which is why I don't see it being widely adopted but there could be niche uses for it.

Edit: The bitcoin paradigm doesn't have to hold for all cryptocurrency, someone could just keep a ledger and give unique identifiers to people or something and hand out bits and its the same thing. A nation state wouldn't have to rely on miners to maintain the ledger and could build something less power intensive.

instead of seeing currency as an object, just think of it as a value like mass, and suddenly we are back to just having bank accounts with a number in it that the government says is transferable value.

and nothing has to change except getting rid of the physical tokens used to represent that value

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

*snip*

Everything except for the fact that I don't appreciate being lumped in with COVID deniers.

Your name is big headline tho

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

instead of seeing currency as an object, just think of it as a value like mass, and suddenly we are back to just having bank accounts with a number in it that the government says is transferable value.

and nothing has to change except getting rid of the physical tokens used to represent that value

Its an idea, not an actual thing. Its only good for as long as people believe in it. When they stop believing in it, it rapidly loses its value.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lightpole posted:

You just want the U.S. banking system to be less terrible.

So do I, but the solution has nothing to do with digital or crypto anything, no more than Hyperloop or suborbital rocket is the solution to America’s traffic woes.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Platystemon posted:

You just want the U.S. banking system to be less terrible.

So do I, but the solution has nothing to do with digital or crypto anything, no more than Hyperloop or suborbital rocket is the solution to America’s traffic woes.

I don't give a gently caress. The government is going to want greater control over its currency and if it can track flows around the world it gains a lot of power among other things. Theres also just putting money in peoples accounts or taking it out.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Tell me you know nothing about how crypto works without telling me you know nothing about how crypto works.

lightpole posted:

I don't give a gently caress. The government is going to want greater control over its currency and if it can track flows around the world it gains a lot of power among other things. Theres also just putting money in peoples accounts or taking it out.

:hmmyes:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Thesis: bitcoin operates on the same principles as using mackerel tins as currency in prison.

Evidence: no idea, I don't know how currency works.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

stealie72 posted:

Thesis: bitcoin operates on the same principles as using mackerel tins as currency in prison.

I’ll give you two cans of mackerel for your can of tiny tots sardines.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

stealie72 posted:

Good news, I think that makes you qualified to be an expert on Bitcoin.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Good news, I think that makes you qualified to be an expert on Bitcoin.

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/bitcoin-ethereum-cryptocurrency-price-drop-invest-china-b1883069.html

Coins are dumb, they cost too much to use and they take too long to process.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

It's chili with the following differences

No Beans
Allspice and Cinnamon
on top of spaghetti noodles

Can't say I've ever experienced it on chili but allspice and cinnamon (In moderation! Salt & Pepper still lead the blend!) are the secret weapon for god-tier fried chicken

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The problem is they don’t use meaningful amounts of chili powder because Ohio is the Midwest and black pepper is too spicy

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem is they don’t use meaningful amounts of chili powder because Ohio is the Midwest and black pepper is too spicy

A Skyline Five Way is:
Spaghetti
Chili
Beans
Onions
Cheddar Cheese

And is one of the few good things to come out of my home state.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hekk posted:

A Skyline Five Way is:
Spaghetti
Chili
Beans
Onions
All the Cheddar Cheese in Existence

And is one of the few good things to come out of my home state.

FTFY.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

So the stupid are going to get stupider, and literally infect other people to also get stupider.

I did not have this on my bingo card, but in hindsight it seems obvious.

Edit: That vaccine explanation dude fuckin rules.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 26, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was that guy in montana telling off tucker carlson or was it someone else

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

Tell me you know nothing about how crypto works without telling me you know nothing about how crypto works.

:hmmyes:

You have no idea what I'm talking about.
Are you being purposefully stupid or is it natural?

lightpole fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 26, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Crypto works thanks to early adoption by pedophiles and drug dealers which enabled financial criminals to establish a stable means of laundering! It's the future baby!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Crypto is disruptive technology that will empower everyday people in ways traditional finance never will. Now let me tell you about how billionaire's going on suborbital joyrides and not paying taxes is critical and momentous for mankind's future and also how women pose a danger in the workplace if they're attractive

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Not surprised at this turn of events

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Crypto is a self-trampling stampede of scams, and the entire idea of Britcoin seems to be a solution seeking a problem. If your whole goal is "well, we want to be able to give money to people directly", there are plenty of ways to do that (mailing a check, direct deposit, etc). Even if you wanted to have an account for everyone, you could create a central public bank for everyone and just use normal currency, allowing you to leverage the massive amount of infrastructure that exists for payment processing. If you want tighter control, that's what anti-money-laundering and KYC laws are for. (I know this isn't the US, but I assume they have some similar laws.)

If the goal is "create a central state-ran bank anyone can use", that's great. But the instant you involve anything from crypto land, you're making the wrong choice.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

"Alternate" currencies existed long before crypto, too, but never caught on because they were dependent on fly-by-night con artists to hock them to the credulous (and the credits to hock them to their circle of friends). One of my previous employers purchased $5k in some "real business currency for real business people" which, surprise surprise, was effectively unusable because the whole thing was a cycle of dopes realizing all the dopes before them had already written the "currency" off as a con.

https://youtu.be/K-6IzkDyl9Q

The only thing actually special about Bitcoin is that it hit at the right moment with the right techno babble to become self-sustaining off the backs of true believers and criminals.

It caught on because some rich people (mainly venture capitalists) were left holding the bag. A couple were true believers, but the rest realized they got scammed so they pumped and dumped it on the mainstream to offload their bags to other rich suckers on Wall Street.

Now Wall Street is just playing hot potato with crypto like they do with other toxic assets as they hope to cash in quick.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

stealie72 posted:

gently caress I thought I was in the Bitcoin thread for a sec

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

Crypto is a self-trampling stampede of scams, and the entire idea of Britcoin seems to be a solution seeking a problem. If your whole goal is "well, we want to be able to give money to people directly", there are plenty of ways to do that (mailing a check, direct deposit, etc). Even if you wanted to have an account for everyone, you could create a central public bank for everyone and just use normal currency, allowing you to leverage the massive amount of infrastructure that exists for payment processing. If you want tighter control, that's what anti-money-laundering and KYC laws are for. (I know this isn't the US, but I assume they have some similar laws.)

If the goal is "create a central state-ran bank anyone can use", that's great. But the instant you involve anything from crypto land, you're making the wrong choice.

The assumption that digital currency is crypto currency is bitcoin is a bad one. Bitcoin is crypto is digital but the reverse is not necessarily true.

Normal currency has drawbacks that a central bank may not be a fan of. It can be easier to hide and move unseen or diverted on the way. In countries with corruption, accounts in citizens name with direct central bank transfers could cut down on this diversion.

As it is, everything is moving away from physical currency anyways. There is very little reason to carry cash unless you travel overseas. The advantages digital offers to central banks would make a digital currency inevitable if it came with greater control and visibility.

Finally, yes, a digital or crypto currency can offer visibility. Blockchain was invented to establish the identity of two entities anonymously and spread that through the system but that doesnt mean the anonymous part needs to remain. The biggest actual uses for it in the real world would be in places that require an extreme amount of trust, such as digital bank to bank transfers.

Just because you can't see outside of your box doesn't mean the rest of the world isn't looking.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So using this definition of virtual currency how is it better than your typical eft because I haven't used cash in 2 yrs at this point.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqTjKhYh4fs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Actually the biggest use of crypto seams to be to turn coal into solved sudokus.