Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I keep reading posts that seem to imply the game is drastically slower now.

But I'm playing Oro's Flicker Raider and it's fast as gently caress, this build plows through maps faster than anything I played the last two leagues. 120% ele ailment avoidance as well, and 2 points in the Essence Sap wheel completely sustain my mana on a 5L. If you want to feel zoomy and want to throw that useless quicksilver flask in the trash, I highly recommend some variety of Flicker Strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

for better or worse it seems they're going to hold the course.

also they acknowledge you should probably just immediately stash the five different types of currency you get after each encounter...but they don't make it auto stash because...???? and at the same time they acknowledge "yeah there's too many new types of splinters but also we felt we needed twenty new splinters this league" after saying this league after league.

just...what?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

are they traumatized from Perandus or something

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Is there even a purpose for half the vendors (and therefore their currency) outside of brokebrains rerolling to gamble levelling uniques?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mentat Radnor posted:

I keep reading posts that seem to imply the game is drastically slower now.

But I'm playing Oro's Flicker Raider and it's fast as gently caress, this build plows through maps faster than anything I played the last two leagues. 120% ele ailment avoidance as well, and 2 points in the Essence Sap wheel completely sustain my mana on a 5L. If you want to feel zoomy and want to throw that useless quicksilver flask in the trash, I highly recommend some variety of Flicker Strike.

raider kind of skips all the problems with it, because raider is based. it's other classes who actually use movement abilities to move instead of as a dodge or getting around terrain faster who have problems

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Based on what

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

raider kind of skips all the problems with it, because raider is based. it's other classes who actually use movement abilities to move instead of as a dodge or getting around terrain faster who have problems

Well now I'm a bit confused because I use Leap Slam to dodge things and get Fortify and traverse maps if there are no monsters in rage to Flicker to. Apparently there's something about Raider that should be letting me do these things without a movement skill?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Larry Parrish posted:

Based Raider.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Ghostlight posted:

Is there even a purpose for half the vendors (and therefore their currency) outside of brokebrains rerolling to gamble levelling uniques?

lol

this is the kind of criticism ggg is dealing with

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Based on speed.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I am genuinely confused, annoyed and disappointed that this league GGG are once again saying 'sorry about all the splinters, we'll keep an eye on it for next league'. I really really don't understand what their objection is to auto-looting quest-related currency. It's particularly ridiculous this league because the 20 different splinters take up a total of 36 inventory spaces out of a total of 60 - over half your inventory. So you can't just dedicate a few inventory slots to it like you could in every other league.

It's like they carefully listened to all the players' concerns about the amount of poo poo we have to pick up, and then deliberately made it much much worse. It boggles the mind.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Vulpes posted:

It's like they carefully listened to all the players' concerns about the amount of poo poo we have to pick up, and then deliberately made it much much worse. It boggles the mind.

Maybe they put the same people on it as the people doing the flask rework

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mentat Radnor posted:

Well now I'm a bit confused because I use Leap Slam to dodge things and get Fortify and traverse maps if there are no monsters in rage to Flicker to. Apparently there's something about Raider that should be letting me do these things without a movement skill?

did you not take the second onslaught node or something. you get about 90% move speed it's severely underrated. and there's 1 or 2 onslaught effect buffs on the tree. I think the max without unique gear mods is 122% cast/attack/move speed, which is so fast you almost can't see the terrain coming and is awesome. it's what I did for raider voidforge cyclone in Ritual. combined with my 30% move speed boots with an enchant for slightly more, I had about +60% with cyclone on and ~160 without. i still used flame dash, but really only for running away from big hits and to get over cliffs etc lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghostlight posted:

the upgrade guy is mediocre but nice when I wanted an upgrade but didn't want to spend any actual currency on it, the expedition currency guy is basically useless since he can't exchange currencies within the same type (like how you can vendor blight oils to upgrade to the next tier), except for spending his reroll currency to maybe get a discounted stack or buy reroll poo poo for someone else. regular currency guy is awesome. gambler lady is dogshit unless you get lucky. so far i just use them as free chance orbs, but I'll probably just start selling her reroll currency

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vulpes posted:

I am genuinely confused, annoyed and disappointed that this league GGG are once again saying 'sorry about all the splinters, we'll keep an eye on it for next league'. I really really don't understand what their objection is to auto-looting quest-related currency. It's particularly ridiculous this league because the 20 different splinters take up a total of 36 inventory spaces out of a total of 60 - over half your inventory. So you can't just dedicate a few inventory slots to it like you could in every other league.

When would you be carrying all 20 different kinds at once? Each expedition drops one flavor(there are four flavors), so at most you'd have five.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Rog is a Golden God and has produced some nutty stuff for me already

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

nyttyn posted:

for better or worse it seems they're going to hold the course.

also they acknowledge you should probably just immediately stash the five different types of currency you get after each encounter...but they don't make it auto stash because...???? and at the same time they acknowledge "yeah there's too many new types of splinters but also we felt we needed twenty new splinters this league" after saying this league after league.

just...what?

One of their rules is no auto loot for items you can trade.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

McFrugal posted:

When would you be carrying all 20 different kinds at once? Each expedition drops one flavor(there are four flavors), so at most you'd have five.

yeah I love these theoretical complaints that aren't even possible in normal play lol

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
kinda great to see the same crowd that was telling us that pushing more builds below the threshold of viability would increase build diversity before the league start now blaming people for being stupid enough to play something other than raider or saboteur

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

did you not take the second onslaught node or something. you get about 90% move speed it's severely underrated. and there's 1 or 2 onslaught effect buffs on the tree. I think the max without unique gear mods is 122% cast/attack/move speed, which is so fast you almost can't see the terrain coming and is awesome. it's what I did for raider voidforge cyclone in Ritual. combined with my 30% move speed boots with an enchant for slightly more, I had about +60% with cyclone on and ~160 without. i still used flame dash, but really only for running away from big hits and to get over cliffs etc lol.

Who the heck would take the Onslaught nodes on a pure elemental damage flicker strike build? I'm frenzy+phasing passives.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Reiterpallasch posted:

kinda great to see the same crowd that was telling us that pushing more builds below the threshold of viability would increase build diversity before the league start now blaming people for being stupid enough to play something other than raider or saboteur

Well have you looked at poe ninja?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Rog is a Golden God and has produced some nutty stuff for me already

I just wish i had the reroll currency for him

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mentat Radnor posted:

Who the heck would take the Onslaught nodes on a pure elemental damage flicker strike build? I'm frenzy+phasing passives.

Onslaught does almost as much damage as the frenzy path from the 50% increased attack speed vs the 24% more damage/24% increase attack speed you get from frenzy, and doesn't require you to spend passives on frenzy charges. It also gives More evade chance which really improves tankiness (70% evade to 95% evade is a huge buff for example).

Xtanstic posted:

Man this is my second league ever, and I was so excited to put my hard earned newbie lessons to good use and get off the ground running but I'm taping out. I really had fun last league with Enki's Arc Witch and put in like 150+ hours. I spent Friday going thru Acts 1-7 with my brother and a friend, and was kinda feeling burnt out by the end of the night. I slow rolled solo Saturday and Sunday and the build felt better (helped that I didn't have to fight significantly tankier mobs), but now that I finally hit maps, I kinda lost all motivation to gear up and play.

It's partially my fault I guess. Shouldn't have made my first purchase a chest piece I couldn't even equip lol but also Ziz's ED+Contagion felt sooo sluggish to play. I know I'm super early and all that but urgh. I psyched myself out reading the doomposting too but yeah I dunno I'm kinda bummed I'm not enjoying things. I'm gonna take a break and maybe come back in a month and bang out 12 challenges with cheap gear maybe. :smith:

try playing around with Bane, Soulrend or Forbidden Rite - you should be able to switch over to them fairly easily and imo are less clunky skills. How a skill feels to play is my number 1 priority when picking a build for me.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Logbooks are great because the map is already explored when you enter. This is a big pet peeve of mine with blighted maps.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

are they traumatized from Perandus or something

Yes.
They even said so, Chris Wilson himself admitted that "Perandus League was a mistake".

In his reasoning, which cannot be doubted, it was too rewarding and spoiled players for all eternity, leading them to expect fun in all future leagues.
Which would mean they would have to deliver every time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Don't worry everyone, the thing you've all been waiting for is here, ANOTHER OPTION ABOUT EXPEDITION LEAGUE SO FAR!

Act 1 changes: mostly good, but it needs to be paired with PoE2 Gem changes, act1 has a lot of RNG at the start whether you are running around on gear with 1-3 links and any stats or not because you need the links more then the stats, which leads to some bad starts not having the power to deal with giant swarms of enemies faster then you can run and quickly stunlock you to death.

Damage support nerfs is fine and some number tweaking downward shouldn't be that big a issue, lot of builds insta-deleted most content before it did anything, but they went overboard with the next one.

Mana nerfs bad, killing off spellslinger and CoC and CwC and herald supports and various other fun builds and lowering overall build variety very bad.

Flask changes, not a single person I've talked to has had positive things to say about the nerfs and making the ailment immunities on flask almost useless, good that GGG is recognizing that.

Expedition itself badly needs auto-pickup of the currency, this is far worse then metamorph at release because at least metamorph didn't require chest opening and inventory management and stashing, but is otherwise a okay league mechanic.

Movement speed and movement skill nerfs, don't like it, reminds me of something similar that happened in warframe, originally that game was a slow paced corridor shooter where wall running and jumping and even sprinting ate into a stamina bar, at some point in the game people discovered a method called "coptering" where they would spin their melee weapon in the air like a copter and fly through the levels at speeds far beyond what was intended, instead of sticking to their vision and telling the playerbase "no, you are having fun in the wrong way" they instead went fully into it and made a similar method the baseline way to travel through the game and got rid of stamina entirely, PoE seems to be taking the opposite approach and taking tools away from the players they have grown used to.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 26, 2021

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tenzarin posted:

Well have you looked at poe ninja?

Have you? Over half of Poe ninja is necro, sabo, and raider, at 19, 18, and 15% respectively atm.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Magus42 posted:

One of their rules is no auto loot for items you can trade.

You can trade beasts and those are automatically looted. Sure, there is technically an extra step but they've made a previous exception to this.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

sabo was like 30% at LS, so looks like plenty don't like the trapper playstyle.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Traps and mines are the only build more annoying to me than totems. And totems are hot garbage, which I rarely use except as support skills. They just feel bad and arent very interesting to use. I've tried to like trap builds several times because what's not to love about big damage numbers? But it always just feels like I'm watching the game instead of playing it.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

trappin' makes me feel good

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I am finally back home and have time to start playing. What is a Good 3.15 starter softcore trade build? Kripp is playing dom.blow necro and it looks pretty ez. The minions do the job and he just dodges poo poo.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Woah wait

Does Raider really just get permanent Onslaught? I'm reading that right?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yep

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Onslaught does almost as much damage as the frenzy path from the 50% increased attack speed vs the 24% more damage/24% increase attack speed you get from frenzy, and doesn't require you to spend passives on frenzy charges. It also gives More evade chance which really improves tankiness (70% evade to 95% evade is a huge buff for example).

It's 46% increased attack/cast/movement speed and 35% more evade VS 24-28% more damage, 48-56% attack speed, 24-28% movement speed, 60-70% attack damage and 90-100% increased evasion for the cost of 4-6 passives on the tree.

The Onslaught branch is still good for QoL and defense but the Frenzy branch is real strong, especially now that the more damage on frenzies is basically an extra support gem

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shlapintogan posted:

Woah wait

Does Raider really just get permanent Onslaught? I'm reading that right?

it's more like quadruple onslaught

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway in other news I was having fun tonight and then my instance crashed as I entered lab fight 3 and made me so mad I quit for the night and probably the rest of the week lol.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

McFrugal posted:

I dunno why they decided they needed more pressure on mana than before, considering it was a significant issue for spellcasting builds already.
No mention of Spellslinger there which means they're just being idiots about triggered mana costs.

Unless the build specifically called for some special interaction with mana (Archmage, MoM, Spellslinger, etc.), Mana was previously a nonissue. For fun, I went through a lot of the builds I've had since 2.6, and the vast majority of them are sitting at <5% mana unreserved with no real special care taken to get high enough base or regen. The changes here push that a *little* further out on both axes, but with them dialing it back, we'll have to see where it lands.

For those non-mana focused builds, mana was a requirement you had to meet (trivially) and then the rest was just reserved for stuff. The change here really is that your reservation pool is effectively smaller, and you may need to think about mana regen a little harder. The way this manifests for me right now is that I move toward end game, a surprisingly large amount of my pool is unreserved, but the end-game build will eventually find me in a similar state, with about 10% unreserved and a regen solution. The point I'm driving at here is that the requirement is harder to meet initially, but with strong gear, it's not too much more of a hurdle to cross.

Another unrelated hot take: The flask changes are good. Flasks were trivial to solve previously with little flexibility, and it provided a way to gain ailment immunity in the most effective and tedious way possible. Good riddance to that. The flask piano is (mostly) dead and ailments can have a real place in the game again. It remains to be seen if we land on 'solved flasks' again after a league or two, but I very much welcome this change. My major complaint is that your immunity window on trigger was small at 1 second, and that's being changed to 4 - It's looking a lot better from here.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 26, 2021

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

im pressing flasks harder than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

McFrugal posted:

My point was that you can't do that (just carry them and not have to gently caress about with the locker/stash) even if you wanted to, like you can with pcoins, rogue markers etc. If they were all 1x1 it would be ok, but still not great. Making them as big as 2x2 is just taking the piss.