Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Purgatory Glory posted:

For those in areas where hospitals are overrun, what do they deniers have to say? "Nurses are lying, there's so much capacity!"

Back when poo poo was really bad here a local COVID denier group tried to do a "Film your hospital Day", encouraging their followers to get "video evidence" that all the news that hospitals were filling up was just lies by filming all over hospitals or something.

These people are actually that insane, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I figured they'd just be like, why would we need to go to a hospital? It's just a cold!

Rolo posted:

Thanks, I hope so too. I'm only on like day 5, that's how big of a baby I am being. Also I just took one of those ugly naps where I slept for 3 hours and woke up sweaty.

Now that I am caught up with the thread, my last rant had nothing to do with going-out chat or quarantine timing. Just a rant.

For some reason I thought you had had it longer. This makes sense now. Days 2-8 or so, I felt like absolute rear end. It gets better! Hopefully soon!

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Purgatory Glory posted:

For those in areas where hospitals are overrun, what do they deniers have to say? "Nurses are lying, there's so much capacity!"

Round these parts we had a "first amendment auditor" (these sovereign citizen esque guys that go around filming and harassing people) trying to film people going into the hospital and saying they were crisis actors or whatever. Police got him jailed on a bunch of stuff.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Rolo posted:

Health Update: chest still burns even though I’m not coughing anymore. Energy low. Cloudy headed first 2 hours of every day. gently caress covid, gently caress the police, gently caress the GOP.

I restricted for over a year, wore a mask and had rednecks yell at me, got vaxxed and had coworkers laugh at me. Now I’m guaranteed… GUARANTEED to hear from someone that I got it because I’m vaccinated. I deal with a ton of the worst southerners, just total poo poo brains.

I’m frustrated. I want to give up on this country doing anything right ever. I want to count the seconds until I get my energy back from covid, go find a place to eat an entire philly cheese, get hammered and listen to live music but god drat it, I can’t let anyone get as sick as I am and have it be my fault. I’m gonna sit here until it’s safe.

Not saying this to anyone because I’m not caught up on the thread and I don’t have a point to make, I’m just frustrated and I want to go outside.

Next pandemic I’m getting a bigger apartment.

Sounds like you’re ready to go to brunch!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Strep Vote posted:

there is no safe way to eat inside a restaurant in an airborne pandemic, i hope this helps you avoid covid in the future

This has been my strategy. No meal is worth the current risk. I’ll happily enjoy my food at home or somewhere outdoors.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

liz posted:

This has been my strategy. No meal is worth the current risk. I’ll happily enjoy my food at home or somewhere outdoors.

the nice thing about eating outdoors is that despite being the middle of summer, nobody else wants to do it. they all want to stuff into the restaurant so outdoors is empty and peaceful

HazCat
May 4, 2009

You can catch Delta outdoors.

It's as contagious as smallpox.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HazCat posted:

It's as contagious as smallpox.

Correct, to well within the error bars of both pathogens.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've been following this chart pretty much since Covid started:

It's always been accurate enough in the past, so I've got no reason to disbelieve it when it says that cases are dropping this time. I mean, it doesn't hugely surprise me: it's been calculated that in the UK, over 90% of the population now have antibodies, so there's honestly only so many people left to infect. I've been dubious the whole time about those models predicting 100,000's of cases later in the summer.

They seem to have forgotten to factor in the school and uni holidays and that they are staggered across the country in the models - there is more freedom to set term dates (mini goes back on something like the 16th of September this year) these days rather than the same immovable dates across the whole country. So it makes absolute sense that the cases would start to drop from last Monday.

Not that awesome because it just proves that it’s utter insanity not to vaccinate teenagers.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Purgatory Glory posted:

At the start of the pandemic we had a few groups unmasked deniers actually break into the closed down wards in hospitals and try to claim this was evidence of no covid, rather than evidence that hospitals always have a few non-icu wards mothballed because that’s how hospitals work.

They got arrested and the fad ended very quickly

SunChips
Nov 16, 2006
ligma ballset

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Purgatory Glory posted:

Some of our hospitals were so full they put ICU beds in the parking lot. This made anti-vaxxers very angry because this proves the number of beds are limitless so it's just another made up stat to scare people. No they didn't hire any extra docotrs or nurses to cover the increased capacity, just beds under a tent in the parking lot.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

learnincurve posted:

They seem to have forgotten to factor in the school and uni holidays and that they are staggered across the country in the models - there is more freedom to set term dates (mini goes back on something like the 16th of September this year) these days rather than the same immovable dates across the whole country. So it makes absolute sense that the cases would start to drop from last Monday.

Not that awesome because it just proves that it’s utter insanity not to vaccinate teenagers.

Yeah, I've never rated those models: crunching dozens and dozens of variables together and extrapolating outwards results in such a hugely wide range of possible outcomes that I fail to see what use the models are. If you're a leader needing to make decisions and you ask your scientists for a ballpark figure about where they think we'll be in two months time on current trends, being told: "Well, the model predicts somewhere between practically no infections and millions and millions of infections" is of pretty limited use. If you go past the headline results and dig into the small print, it's page upon page of caveats about how they can't really quantify half the variables, so they're either giving them enormous ranges, or just making a best guess.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, I've never rated those models: crunching dozens and dozens of variables together and extrapolating outwards results in such a hugely wide range of possible outcomes that I fail to see what use the models are. If you're a leader needing to make decisions and you ask your scientists for a ballpark figure about where they think we'll be in two months time on current trends, being told: "Well, the model predicts somewhere between practically no infections and millions and millions of infections" is of pretty limited use. If you go past the headline results and dig into the small print, it's page upon page of caveats about how they can't really quantify half the variables, so they're either giving them enormous ranges, or just making a best guess.

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1418938128786595840
https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1418940186151440384

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's going to be interesting to see exactly where the fully vaccinated numbers end up for different countries. Just eyeballing the figures (and without accounting for vaxxing kids) it looks like the UK will probably end up somewhere in the 70-80% range. UK not too notorious for vaccine hesitancy, probably likely to be on the higher end of the spectrum of developed countries when all is said and done. Without other incentives and so forth, looks like the US will fall probably at least 10% lower than that overall. It's a pretty curious confounding factor to understanding how things will look like going forward for the next 6-12 months.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Back when poo poo was really bad here a local COVID denier group tried to do a "Film your hospital Day", encouraging their followers to get "video evidence" that all the news that hospitals were filling up was just lies by filming all over hospitals or something.

These people are actually that insane, yes.

Which is ironic because this is *actually* a HIPAA violation as opposed to you know, someone just asking you if you got the vaccine which is 100% not.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jeza posted:

It's going to be interesting to see exactly where the fully vaccinated numbers end up for different countries. Just eyeballing the figures (and without accounting for vaxxing kids) it looks like the UK will probably end up somewhere in the 70-80% range. UK not too notorious for vaccine hesitancy, probably likely to be on the higher end of the spectrum of developed countries when all is said and done. Without other incentives and so forth, looks like the US will fall probably at least 10% lower than that overall. It's a pretty curious confounding factor to understanding how things will look like going forward for the next 6-12 months.

The US is really struggling to hit 50% fully vaxxed and won't get there for a while yet, that curve is flattening out real quick. I expect there'll be an uptick when they get a EUA for kids under 12 but it looks like that won't be happening until early next year.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...ISR~CHL~AUS~SGP

I included Australia on the graph for the sake of comedy. :sweatdrop:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jeza posted:

We are already at 88% first dose and 70.3% for both - current prediction is 90-92% fully vaccinated.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

We are already at 88% first dose and 70.3% for both - current prediction is 90-92% fully vaccinated.

THat graph above looks like about 55% not 70%?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Learnincurve's numbers are for adults, not the whole population.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
We should never have had all these children.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vyst posted:

Which is ironic because this is *actually* a HIPAA violation as opposed to you know, someone just asking you if you got the vaccine which is 100% not.

Isn’t HIPAA only binding on people within the healthcare profession, with a few exceptions?

That’s not to say that they weren’t breaking other laws.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t HIPAA only binding on people within the healthcare profession, with a few exceptions?

That’s not to say that they weren’t breaking other laws.

You could make the case the hospital could be held liable since any patients or health data showing (like monitors or documentation) would have had to give consent to the recording. It's not a slam dunk but it ruins the post otherwise lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

THat graph above looks like about 55% not 70%?

We're at 56% of the whole population, including under-18s, vaccinated. If we get up to 90% of the over-18 population done that'll be 70% of the whole population. It's likely that that remaining 10% will just never get jabbed for whatever reason, so we'll almost certainly have to do at least 12-18 year olds too, which would get us up to 85ish percent, hopefully past the herd immunity threshold.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We're at 56% of the whole population, including under-18s, vaccinated. If we get up to 90% of the over-18 population done that'll be 70% of the whole population. It's likely that that remaining 10% will just never get jabbed for whatever reason, so we'll almost certainly have to do at least 12-18 year olds too, which would get us up to 85ish percent, hopefully past the herd immunity threshold.

Epidemiologists in Canada are estimating 95% of total population required for herd immunity from delta, although some recent calculated delta R put it well over 100% required given the infectiousness and current vaccine efficacy.

Some kind of NPI is likely required regardless of vaccination to keep it out of exponential growth.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blitter posted:

Epidemiologists in Canada are estimating 95% of total population required for herd immunity from delta, although some recent calculated delta R put it well over 100% required given the infectiousness and current vaccine efficacy.

Some kind of NPI is likely required regardless of vaccination to keep it out of exponential growth.

Got a link for that? I can’t find it anywhere.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There’s a story on ABC News where they got a hold of CDC info estimating that the prevalence of breakthrough symptomatic infections among the vaccinated is 0.098 percent. Granted, this does not include asymptomatic infections, but that’s really good.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

There’s a story on ABC News where they got a hold of CDC info estimating that the prevalence of breakthrough symptomatic infections among the vaccinated is 0.098 percent. Granted, this does not include asymptomatic infections, but that’s really good.

Serious question for you, since that number is purely number of people who are vaccinated that have gotten tested and received a positive test divided by the number of people that are vaccinated, in a months time that is going to be a larger number, maybe half again larger, maybe double. Who knows. But it is going to be a larger number. Let's say it doubles. If that happens do you think that means the vaccine is now half as good as it is right now?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's in line with the numbers we're seeing out of every health department in the country that has released stats on breakthrough cases. Virginia is reporting 0.031% of vaccinated people becoming infected. Washington DC is showing 0.05% of all fully vaccinated individuals becoming infected, and even LA County (which has some of the highest number of breakthrough cases) still only shows 0.1342% of vaccinated people getting breakthrough cases.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is this post covid exposure or just across all the vaccinated population? Does asymptomatic include everyone who gets really sick but doesn't have to go to the hospital?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FlamingLiberal posted:

That number also only includes adults, it doesn't include breakthrough cases in children. It's a subset of a subset.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/symptomatic-breakthrough-covid-19-infections-rare-cdc-data/story?id=79048589

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Elea posted:

Does asymptomatic include everyone who gets really sick but doesn't have to go to the hospital?

No. "asymptomatic" means "without symptoms". Anyone who has symptoms is not asymptomatic.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

They seriously need to make a decision on this already and stop dicking around

When you have half the country ready to murder anyone who tells them to wear a mask, you can't expect him to simply do this. If they begin pushing for mask mandates, they'll probably need the backing of the military at this point.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Thoguh posted:

Serious question for you, since that number is purely number of people who are vaccinated that have gotten tested and received a positive test divided by the number of people that are vaccinated, in a months time that is going to be a larger number, maybe half again larger, maybe double. Who knows. But it is going to be a larger number. Let's say it doubles. If that happens do you think that means the vaccine is now half as good as it is right now?

You can actually see it increase week by week in one of the links that LanceHunter posted:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-07-22/los-angeles-covid-june-vaccine-breakthrough-cases

It's a really stupid statistic to report and it doesn't mean a drat thing right now. Maybe when we get the final number after the pandemic has ended it'll mean something but that's several years off, this bullshit is pure copium.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You can actually see it increase week by week in one of the links that LanceHunter posted:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-07-22/los-angeles-covid-june-vaccine-breakthrough-cases

It's a really stupid statistic to report and it doesn't mean a drat thing right now. Maybe when we get the final number after the pandemic has ended it'll mean something but that's several years off, this bullshit is pure copium.

Look, I know you're addicted to anti-vaxx doomerism, but that number is still more useful than the baseline-free "X% of new cases were breakouts".

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The NYT says that there have been 34.4 million positive COVID cases in the US. The US population is about 330 million. So I'm happy to be able to post that not getting vaccinated has had about an 89% success rate in being protected from COVID.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

No. "asymptomatic" means "without symptoms". Anyone who has symptoms is not asymptomatic.

I agree that's what the word means but how is it being used by the CDC if they aren't actively testing and surveying vaccinated people for milder covid symptoms?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Elea posted:

I agree that's what the word means but how is it being used by the CDC if they aren't actively testing and surveying vaccinated people for milder covid symptoms?

There’s still plenty of places that have routine testing as part of employment, for example. A positive test with no symptoms gets filed as asymptomatic. Someone with symptoms is, well, symptomatic. If you’re not being routinely screened an asymptomatic case is hard to find but welp, that’s just kind of how testing for viruses works.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Philthy posted:

When you have half the country ready to murder anyone who tells them to wear a mask, you can't expect him to simply do this. If they begin pushing for mask mandates, they'll probably need the backing of the military at this point.
That may be the case, but if they’re going to do it they can’t wait much longer since the variant has already spread everywhere. I’m guessing that they don’t end up recommending masks again though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

New York City making the right call...

New York is expected to require city workers to be vaccinated by mid-September.

quote:

New York City will require all municipal workers to be vaccinated against the coronavirus by the time schools reopen in mid-September or face weekly testing, Mayor Bill de Blasio plans to announce on Monday morning, according to a city official.

Last week, Mr. de Blasio’s decision announced a similar mandate for public health care workers — part of an effort to speed up vaccinations as the city faces a third wave of coronavirus cases driven by the spread of the Delta variant.

The new requirement would apply to roughly 340,000 city workers, including teachers and police officers. The Sept. 13 deadline, when about a million students are set to return to classrooms, shows the importance of the reopening of schools for the city’s recovery and for Mr. de Blasio’s legacy.