Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Next they will be doing Olympic bong rips I hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

I saw that this morning.
How is it an Olympic sport? The lass I saw just went down a rail without falling off and this was apparently good as the Chinese lass before her fell over.

As someone with no knowledge of the subject I just couldn't figure it out.

Gymnastics, diving, figure skating, freestyle snowboarding and *arguably* the various combat sports (boxing, wrestling, judo etc) are all Olympic sports where the winner is determined by judges scores, often on criteria not obvious to a first-time watcher, not just who passes a line first or jumps or throws furthest.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mebh posted:

Huh I knew about DSPD but had no idea it could be related to adhd. Thanks! More reading afoot.

On the ADHD I'm now on 50mg of elvanse and dang... It's not a life changer like some but I can definitely handle poo poo way easier. Housework and chores are a breeze now. Til about 9pm when I turn into a pudding again.

I'm up to 54mg methylphenidate and it was a breakthrough. I did 15 hours of cleaning and tidying in 3 days (more than I've done in the last 2 years), only having to take breaks due to how out of shape I am.

It doesn't feel like a total life changer in many respects but people absolutely can tell when I'm on my meds. People with ADHD are generally bad at self assessment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Next they will be doing Olympic bong rips I hope

Win the Yuba Gold.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Mebh posted:

Huh I knew about DSPD but had no idea it could be related to adhd. Thanks! More reading afoot.

On the ADHD I'm now on 50mg of elvanse and dang... It's not a life changer like some but I can definitely handle poo poo way easier. Housework and chores are a breeze now. Til about 9pm when I turn into a pudding again.

Hey there 50mg Elvanse buddy.

It's feels so weird that I can now start something in the first place, but even more so that I actually see it through to completion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

I'm up to 54mg methylphenidate and it was a breakthrough. I did 15 hours of cleaning and tidying in 3 days (more than I've done in the last 2 years), only having to take breaks due to how out of shape I am.

It doesn't feel like a total life changer in many respects but people absolutely can tell when I'm on my meds. People with ADHD are generally bad at self assessment.

The more people keep posting stuff like that the more I wonder if my GP might be willing to try something on me.

Motivation to do literally anything would be an interesting notion.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

It's going to be more than just your GP that you need. You are going to need a diagnosis from a psychologist. It's likely that the waiting list on the NHS for this service is going to be years long, so her yourself in the queue as soon as you can.

Private options are available, just expensive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was diagnosed as a child I just stopped medication. I guess I could maybe try asking for a referral or something.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

The more people keep posting stuff like that the more I wonder if my GP might be willing to try something on me.

Motivation to do literally anything would be an interesting notion.

I watched this video and noted down stuff that sounded like me, then talked to my GP about a referral for assessment explaining why based on my notes.

https://youtu.be/ouZrZa5pLXk

When they agreed to refer me and I found out that the waiting list was close to 2 years I got them to refer me to this place, although their waiting list is longer now than when I referred.

The ADHD thread in E/N has been very helpful too.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

forkboy84 posted:

Look, I got to see skateboarding so I got what I wanted from it all

Word.

Grey Hunter posted:

I saw that this morning.
How is it an Olympic sport? The lass I saw just went down a rail without falling off and this was apparently good as the Chinese lass before her fell over.

-fake edit- Coffee time effortpost incomming....

I've skated during the 70 and 80, so I do find it weird to see. Good weird though as it takes noting away from it, no matter whet some of the fundamentalist twats say.

As for the women, they do lag way behind the men, much more so than in the majority of other sports (if you class skating as a sport) There are far fewer women sadly so inevitably it doesn't look as spectacular as the men. If skating had a 95%+ reduction in male participation since it started, the level wouldn't be close to what it is now. In my town at the height of the boom, there were maybe 4-500 skaters of which, zero were female :-(
I love watching the women as the rate of improvement over the last few years is incredible and the amount of girls and women skating is booming.
The better women skate far beyond what I, or my late 80s mates ever could, and some of the stuff they do was unthinkable even 15 years ago.
The park is massive so it doesn't really show how big some of the rails are. It is incredibly difficult even staying on even a small rail. Rails were just happening when I was finishing my skate "career", and even the mentalest skaters took a while to even try the wee ones. I never had the bottle, I valued my bollocks too much.

It's great that the scoring is equal, and it shows how a lack of parity between the sexes has held it back when the guys are getting 9s and the women 3s
It'll probably take them 20 years to catch up to the men. I can't wait to see what is happening then as the current level is mind bogglingly impressive. Having said that, the likes of Leticia Bufoni (who didn't make the final lol) is much closer to the fellas

Bottom line re the olympics is though, is arguably the men are 100% at "olympic level", the women looked at in isolation aren't, but it'd be unthinkable to have a men only sport. Thankfully
Watch the mens final highlight to get a look at the world level stuff. The stuff in videos blows most of it out of the water though
Overall though, it's as valid an olympic sport as gymnastics imo

Now I'm hyped to go skate, but the last time I tried I hosed up a no comply and slammed hard. My hip hurt for months. I guess 50 odd is too old for most people

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 26, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

OwlFancier posted:

If you punch the bumhole right as the fart comes out then the farter will die of internal fart. It happened to someone at my school I heard.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm hearing so many stories about kids and teenagers getting sent to ICUs at the moment. I've got the horrible feeling the next few weeks are going to get incredibly bleak.

Bloody hell someone do something about this

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

forkboy84 posted:

My favourite moment of the tournament so far was catching the end of the women's cycling road race yesterday over breakfast. Austrian woman won it from the breakaway and as she crossed the line the commentator explains that's Austria's first summer games gold since Athens. Then he pauses a bit before saying "in 1896".

Delivery is perfect

She also (according to my bike racer girlfriend) isn't in a team that does major races and is a physicist who did loads of analysis to work out for herself how best to train for that race.

The Dutch riders who are pre-eminent* in women's road racing thought they had caught the brakeaway group and were going to control the victory. They had miscounted and the Austrian had got away.

* lol

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I saw that this morning.

Worth it.

https://twitter.com/GoodMorningJoel/status/1419119101075726339

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The competition is over, give that man the $10,000 gold medal

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ballon d’or

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

The competition is over, give that man the $10,000 gold medal

It could maybe replace his bronze medal that is probably busted now. Ouch

-edit-
loving lol, after my pro women skating screed earlier, I've just watched an American girl who just ollied and cruised around. loving embarrassing to watch. She's cumulative score for the first prelim is 0.85. Her "best trick" entry was an ollie down the 8 set. No idea why she is in it, there are so many better skaters that would have deserved a slot. smdh

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 26, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Why is skateboarding in the Olympics? This marks skateboarding officially becoming uncool

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Communist Thoughts posted:

Why is skateboarding in the Olympics? This marks skateboarding officially becoming uncool
Yeah and what's cool now is E-Sports, shamefully. You know you're old etc etc

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Much like being able to lift heavy things or run fast is deeply uncool now

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

If they let horse dancing in...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Quite note on ADHD: It was eight months between me first thinking maybe it was a chance to diagnosis, and that was during the height of the pandemic. So don't be put off purely by tales of long waiting lists - it's going to absolutely depend on where you are. I didn't have the money to go private so it was the only option, and unlike some services I got to walk out of the assessment with a prescription and started meds the next day. Been quite a turnaround, though I'm tempted to ask for a higher dose to see what it's like.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

2024 has breakdancing.

Breaking and skating are 2 things that got me chased around town by the soccer casuals, so it's very odd that they are "normal" now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Adolf Glitter posted:

2024 has breakdancing.

Breaking and skating are 2 things that got me chased around town by the soccer casuals, so it's very odd that they are "normal" now.

Starting a petition for football hooliganism to be an Olympic sport by 2028. As well as the obvious combat sports, you've also got a chance for a pentathlon of pint-downing, barrier jumping, chair toss, 100m dash from a baton charge and freestyle town-centre trashing. Of course the WDA are going to have to take an *extremely* lenient view on performance-enhancing drugs, or Team GB are all going to have to claim toothaches and allergies to all other local anaesthetics.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
where does the sticking flares up your arse come in

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Surfing too.

Still think the oddest of the new sports is rock climbing.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

now I understand the bikini brief kit requirements

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 26, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

forkboy84 posted:

Surfing too.

Still think the oddest of the new sports is rock climbing.
I think those are both great sports to add. The Olympics really should be more about personal prowess than things like football or rugby where winning gold will never have the status of winning a World Cup.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Doing my ringwalk into Olympics chat in my shiny shirt while chase the sun plays behind me to say 'make darts an Olympic sport'

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Flayer posted:

Yeah and what's cool now is E-Sports, shamefully. You know you're old etc etc

My friend wants esports in the olympics (I think to somehow legitimise gaming as a personal pursuit rather than sumptuous indulgence ) and I know it's going to happen but I'm gonna turn into a red faced old man the second it does

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

Doing my ringwalk into Olympics chat in my shiny shirt while chase the sun plays behind me to say 'make darts an Olympic sport'

'Not The Nine o'clock News' did it best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqxXNZcIdwM

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

That's the freestyle bit. Caving in the roof of a cop car with a flare up your arse scores more than throwing a concrete litter bin through the window of a Superdrug despite the greater degree of physical effort required for the latter, because of both the artistic merit of the act and the technical difficulty of jumping up and down without losing the flare.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Esports is good fun, I’ve been to a few events now and the atmosphere can be on par with football matches

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Would be interesting seeing an Olympic darts crowd. Want to see suited IOC dignitaries waving inflatable palm trees and 180 signs

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

Darts requires as much skill and slightly more physical prowess than shooting, so either let darts in or get shooting out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

jumping up and down without losing the flare.
Depending on which way you lose it this could be riskier than the Korbut Flip.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The punchline of that sketch still creases me up 40 years later. It's a perfect gag.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Looke posted:

Esports is good fun, I’ve been to a few events now and the atmosphere can be on par with football matches

What, like confusing and frightening?

:goonsay:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Flayer posted:

I think those are both great sports to add. The Olympics really should be more about personal prowess than things like football or rugby where winning gold will never have the status of winning a World Cup.

Don't they just have rugby 7s at the Olympics? Coz that's a different sport from Union or League & Olympics Gold is by far the biggest achievement in 7s.

I don't have an issue with team sports at the Olympics. TBH even football I can live with, it's fun seeing a Tournament without England & it's a chance to see the next generation of talent.

I think if I had to punt sports the first thing to go would be gold: it's shite as entertainment, it's not novel coz it has regular TV coverage, it's not a major achievement to win it relative to the biggest tournaments. Same could go for tennis but tbh it seems a bigger deal to win tennis gold than golf gold. Obviously get shot of the horse dancing shite, and also rowing, sports played by toffs and gently caress them. Modern pentathlon too.

I'm looking forward to watching the rock climbing because I'm not sure how sports climbing works, I assume it's a race but can't guess if it's head to head races or races against the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

My friend wants esports in the olympics (I think to somehow legitimise gaming as a personal pursuit rather than sumptuous indulgence ) and I know it's going to happen but I'm gonna turn into a red faced old man the second it does
Currently I don't see how you could fit e-sports into the Olympics because of it's very nature - which game (or games) would be in? It's not like a traditional sport where the fundamental nature of it never changes. You also have the fact that a commercial entity owns the right to whatever game(s) were chosen, which is a whole other kettle of fish. You're more likely to see chess in the Olympics than e-sports unless there is a structural change in competitive gaming.