Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Really love this game, but Zapados needs some tinkering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just did a ranked match. lost 700 to 100. A
I was edelgloss and I had 80 of our points. 😂

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Psycho Society posted:

all the real pokemon game players are saving up for snorlax pajamas

I already have my sailor hat and outfit as any good Cramorant player should :angel:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

New week started today so new free hero rotation: Wigglytuff, Gengar, Lucario, and................Venusaur

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't know what it is exactly, but they've definitely got that One More Game feeling down. I'm disappointed everyone seems to think Charmander's one of the worst Pokemon -- I really like how he feels to play, constantly breathing fire as he runs around kiting melee pokemon. I've always taken the two long range blast moves so he ends up being kind of a medium range bruiser who can back out of a losing fight and kite them to death instead. I see guides that recommend the two charge punch moves instead, or Fire Punch and Flame Blitz (the one that leaves an AOE), but I feel like if you're just gonna play him as a punchman, why not just play Machop or Garchomp instead?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Kingfish posted:

Really love this game, but Zapados needs some tinkering.

Zapdos is way too swingy and far too many games come down to who gets Zapdos.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Phenotype posted:

I see guides that recommend the two charge punch moves instead, or Fire Punch and Flame Blitz (the one that leaves an AOE), but I feel like if you're just gonna play him as a punchman, why not just play Machop or Garchomp instead?

Yeah I agree, whenever I play against him he's the most annoying when flying around and making it so no heroes are topped off and everyone's susceptible to being instagibbed by a burst hero. The issue he faces is that while he can be annoying to play against, Machamp and Garchomp's ults instantly delete at least one hero every time which is just outright better. Usually when I'm in a Zapdos fight and the enemy Charizard ults, I just sort of ignore them and try and kill off the enemy team. Very different than if you see one of the other all-rounders that make you say "oh poo poo we need to get out of here we can't afford to get ulted"

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Am I crazy or is Zeraora just bonkers. Seems to be able to do insane burst

Also I've been playing a lot of Ninetales and man does that 'mon need a buddy to hang with

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

Has the user leap at an opposing Pokémon while electrically charged, dealing damage to them. If the user uses its basic attack before reaching its target Pokémon, the user will instead leap at the closest opposing Pokémon, dealing damage to it.

Could someone help me parse Zeraora's Spark ability? What's the point of the basic attack during the leap?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Could someone help me parse Zeraora's Spark ability? What's the point of the basic attack during the leap?

With the regular Spark, it's just something to more quickly spam the ability since you get three uses before the cool down kicks in. The basic attack also heals you when you get the upgraded version of Spark at level 12.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Avalerion posted:

If you attack during the leap you perform a homing slam that does a good chunk of damage, and you get to do it up to three times. It's fantastic for chasing down anyone who tries to get away from you after you jump them

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Vandar posted:

Zapdos is way too swingy and far too many games come down to who gets Zapdos.

Above bronze rank I'm still finding that absolutely nobody goes for Zapdos and I don't get it. I did once manage to steal the last hit as edelgoss though and that was very satisfying

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I was about to say it's kind of amazing how few of my teammates seem to have any idea what's going on even in the Expert rank, but I guess the same goes for the enemy. No one ever tries to contest the center Audino and just goes for the two closes to their base. People using their ults at the 3:00 mark so there's no way it's back in time for Zapdos. People running to fight Dreadnaw at 2:10 and having it disappear mid-fight.

The biggest frustration for me, and this is also just general advice, is how it's really obvious who's not looking at their map at all. Losing my mind every game when I look over and see a teammate in a fight trying to defend the goal from being scored on and there's a Charmander totally ignoring it hitting creeps just slightly off-screen. I barely even look at the screen when I'm hitting creeps, my eyes are glued to the map since any enemies will show up there before you can see them on your screen.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, I don't know how many times I've seen a teammate just walk on past a fight going on, like welp, nothing to do with me! I understand if newbies aren't watching the minimap, but I'll be fighting someone in lane or defending a goal and just over the wall there's a teammate fighting a jungle creep, and he's gotta be able to see me right on his screen! I also had one particularly infuriating moment when I had 50 points and was waddling over with two other teammates to score, and an enemy Gengar and Machomp jump on me out of a bush... and my two teammates keep on walking like nothing's happening while they beat me to a pulp and steal my lunch money.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just did a ranked match. lost 700 to 100. A
I was edelgloss and I had 80 of our points. 😂
I main edelgloss and nothing makes me sad like all the other teammates selecting speedster or attacker and bunching up into a four man from the beginning of the game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The game is way more fun when you find a buddy you synergize with, i was playing yesterday and this garchomp and i basically buddied up the whole game and thats way funner then going solo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/PokemonUnite/status/1419326582204817416

survey theyve put out, lots of chances to say the held item leveling is a bit punitive. also a field for suggesting future pokemon. doubt either will have much effect but its your chance to demand chimecho

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I think the only two Pokemon that spring to mind specicially that I'd want to play are Deoxys (where you could have it take on different roles depending on what skills you pick) and maybe the Honedge line just because a cool ghost sword owns. Other than that, I'd want them to keep it weird and not lean too hard on the popular/face characters. I'd play the weird stonehenge one from Sword/Shield, for example!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Do Kecleon and give me a weird stealth character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jokes aside the two that come to mind right away for me are magmortar with its big handcannons and rotom because you could have fun with it possessing stuff. tho i imagine the pokemon that are significant gameplay factors probably wont be added, at least not for a while. runerigus would also be cool.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Id like to see Tangrowth as a defensive unit with a long range grab

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

They've already got most of the face characters, no? Pikachu, the 3 original starters (at least once Squirtle is released), Lucario, Snorlax, Gengar, just missing Mewtwo and Eevee as far as the big ones go. Are there any really popular ones I'm missing?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Mimikyu seems to be one of the most popular ones they don't have that aren't legendaries and Eevee forms.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gardevoir probably

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

This game really needed a lot more playtesting by competent people. Got characters who can 1v5 easily and guys whose abilities are rear end. It’s a mess.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Terper posted:

Gardevoir probably

Gardevoir is datamined, same with Blastoise and iirc Clefable.

As for "faces" there are simply A Ton depending on who you ask. Is Incineroar a face*? They were a major mon in the previous anime season and are in Smash. What about Zoroark, one of the poster kids of Gen5 with a movie in 2010 and a completely unique ability (which would make a sick Unite gimmick)? There's a bunch more like this so I sorta hope they just go for whoever they think would make a novel gameplay idea.

*no they're a heel lol

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I didn't see the field for suggesting pokemon but I did ask for Zapdos to be toned down.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I took the survey solely so I could tell them to put Skuntank in the game, because I want to fart fire at people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they ran a poll in japan last year that had the following top 15

quote:

1. greninja
2. lucario
3. mimikyu
4. charizard
5. umbreon
6. sylveon
7. garchomp
8. rayquaza
9. gardevoir
10. gengar
11. dragapult
12. tyranitar
13. bulbasaur
14. toxtricity
15. lugia

i feel like they definitely referenced this poll cause of the top 10 they're all in except the eons, rayquaza, and mimikyu. the eons are a case where they probably have to figure out how theyre gonna handle eevee gameplay-wise, they don't seem to want to put in legendaries (yet, anyway), so its really only mimikyu who got snubbed.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I asked for Mismagius because it's been too many games since I could adventure with one.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
No horses or sheep. Add either Blitzle, Rapidash, or Flaffy. This is far more important than popularity or balance

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually they should add gyarados just because i presume it would spend the first 3 minutes of every game desperately trying to farm the jungle as magikarp, and any attempt to actually play the game would lead to it being instantly deleted

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Eevee where your eeveelution depends on the skill choices you make.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Eevee where your eeveelution depends on the actions you take and the stimuli that you're exposed to

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Eevee but it doesn't evolve :unsmigghh:

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Ah, the pikachu route!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
As long as they don't end up like League where there's 200+ characters and every skill tooltip becomes an essay to hubris they can add as much as they want.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Add several eeveelutions but they all start as eevee with Tackle and Sand Attack and they evolve at level 4

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I don't know how many times I've seen a teammate just walk on past a fight going on, like welp, nothing to do with me! I understand if newbies aren't watching the minimap, but I'll be fighting someone in lane or defending a goal and just over the wall there's a teammate fighting a jungle creep, and he's gotta be able to see me right on his screen! I also had one particularly infuriating moment when I had 50 points and was waddling over with two other teammates to score, and an enemy Gengar and Machomp jump on me out of a bush... and my two teammates keep on walking like nothing's happening while they beat me to a pulp and steal my lunch money.

On the flip side to this, I'll often stick to hitting creeps if my lane partner is taking a dumb-poo poo fight that will lead to them getting killed and would lead to me getting killed if I joined in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

actually they should add gyarados just because i presume it would spend the first 3 minutes of every game desperately trying to farm the jungle as magikarp, and any attempt to actually play the game would lead to it being instantly deleted

They'd probably have to take the Lucario route where you start with your evolved form because otherwise Magikarp because the perfect griefing character.

"Oh sorry guys. Took Splash at level 1 instead of Struggle. See you in 8 minutes for Zapdos."