Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Employment is expanding but salaries aren’t to cover the rising inflation, great system!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

ok we are done examining, everything looks fine

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

There's no inflation because if there was then wages would also be increasing - jay

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Thom12255 posted:

Lot of people selling if they can. My Mother in Law rents a house that is on someone's farm house property and she got told a few days ago that those people are selling the place and she has a month to move out.

This is probably not actually legal fwiw

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Randabis posted:

You mean this forum and community. Some of us goons are really old and have been reading multiple generations of these kind of threads for over 15 years or more.
can’t believe sa forums has been the only true constant for the last two decades

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It isn't the 'unprofitability' part it's turn times and utilization that has been absolutely dumpstered. Container gets filled in China and gets on the vessel (assuming you can find space) you're only a quarter of the way through the problem. Vessel makes it to the west coast and then has to sit for..............? to get unloaded. So now multiple day/weeks later the box is unloaded, but sits on terminal 'cause no one has chassis to move it OR like currently Uncle Pete ain't moving it inland. So another week later and finally your box might be at it's final destination. Now the empty needs to make its way back which is also an absolute disaster currently and that then creates the big issue at the start of this whole circle and that's having a can to load up (with name anything) to then repeat the process.

combine with this the concept of "Just In Time Inventory"

Most people would be surprised that their retail superstores have almost zero stock in the back beyond promotional items or bulk storage of large footprint items like paper towels, cereals, clothes, cleaning supplies. The way they work is they receive a constant stream of trucks from their distribution centers.

They pay entire armies of people to hit buttons to tell their inventory system what needs to be there on the next truck, beep boop, it arrives within 1-2 days. Some wal marts get 7+ trucks a week. Lowe's gets 4+. I worked at a small regional grocery chain and we still got 5 trucks a week because meat and dairy came in separately.

Now when the distribution center can't get a daily truck to every one of it's 200 walmarts? Or the parts the stores need aren't getting to the distribution center in the first place?

It gets scarier when you realize the supply chain itself runs on just in time inventory. Factories depend on next day air shipments of parts constantly. Inventory levels across the board are minmaxed to drag every scrap of profit possible out by only sending the bare minimum amount where it's needed. Whoops we have no amounts. Our amounts are in a 4 week pileup at a shipyard. That means 4-5 weeks to get our original amount to satisfy some of the need eventually!

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

i am harry posted:

can’t believe sa forums has been the only true constant for the last two decades

It's amazing how.many of us still posting on this dead gay comedy forum. :)

Is number okay? My precious...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Relevant Tangent posted:

This is probably not actually legal fwiw

if they are month to month it could be, some states take a hard "gently caress u" position re: tenants' rights.

it's a prime negotiation position tho. sure would be awful if mr landlord couldn't sell for a while due to a tenant holding over then leaving the place an absolute mess, wouldn't it?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It’s about time the economy explode under a mush brain Democrat like Biden

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nonsense posted:

It’s about time the economy explode under a mush brain Democrat like Biden

It started to explode under Trump in late 2019 and that's when the printer turned on. It's just that we also got a global pandemic and now we have a murder suicide pact where the printer can never be turned off again.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the fed should get a second, bigger printer

could be hard to carry all the way to their building though

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

the fed should get a second, bigger printer

could be hard to carry all the way to their building though

a 3d printer that prints money printers

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

silicone thrills posted:

So you're saying I should put my barely used trek up for sale because I am too loving chicken to ride down steep hills and will apparently never get over that.

No you should save it for when the economy collapses and public transit completely shuts down and your only choice is to get used to bombing down hills or not go anywhere you can't reach on foot.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Blinkz posted:

I just magically won a bidding war on a house that was listed for 445k and we offered 420k. A month ago a coworker bought a similar house for 30k over asking. I have a sinking feeling I still overpaid....

You probably could have won it with 69k

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

a 3d printer that prints money printers

a money printer for every home!*

(*offer not valid if you're a filthy poor)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Centrist Committee posted:

I spent the LF years reading D&D, owned myself pretty good on that one

Fuckin same! Feels so lame.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Shifty Pony posted:

rodents love to eat Ford wiring harnesses. it is weird.

A lot of manufacturers use corn based plastic for the wiring now so when food is low the rodents go to town. Had the headlight harness on a VW be damaged this way in the middle of winter.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It isn't the 'unprofitability' part it's turn times and utilization that has been absolutely dumpstered. Container gets filled in China and gets on the vessel (assuming you can find space) you're only a quarter of the way through the problem. Vessel makes it to the west coast and then has to sit for..............? to get unloaded. So now multiple day/weeks later the box is unloaded, but sits on terminal 'cause no one has chassis to move it OR like currently Uncle Pete ain't moving it inland. So another week later and finally your box might be at it's final destination. Now the empty needs to make its way back which is also an absolute disaster currently and that then creates the big issue at the start of this whole circle and that's having a can to load up (with name anything) to then repeat the process.

this it’s: container flow. the rate of flow is the ships, it’s the chassis, it’s the rail capacity, it’s the labor. basically all the parts have restricted capacity and the containers are going through the cycle very slowly.

and we spent decades reducing stocks and thus system stability, and the ability of companies to weather this.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Centrist Committee posted:

I spent the LF years reading D&D, owned myself pretty good on that one

KirbyKhan posted:

Fuckin same! Feels so lame.

porque no los dos

i was always double fisting, just like now

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
American Airlines warns about fuel shortages around the country, asks pilots to conserve

quote:

American Airlines on Monday warned pilots about fuel delivery delays at certain midsize airports and asked them to save fuel when possible.
The carrier said airlines, including American, have experienced the supply shortages due to a lack of truck drivers, trucks and fuel supply.
"American Airlines station jet fuel delivery delays initially affected mostly western U.S. cities, but are now being reported at American stations across the country. Delivery delays are expected to continue through mid-August," according to a company memo, which was reviewed by CNBC.
The airline said flights will carry additional fuel into airports affected by shortages, a procedure known as tankering.
"As our country continues to face multiple challenges, let's work together as a team to operate reliably, safely and as efficiently as possible," the memo said.
American didn't immediately comment.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Commercial airliners can glide right? Just use the engines to get up and glide to your destination.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Remember during covid 2020 when the airlines were just flying empty planes for months?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mr Hootington posted:

Remember during covid 2020 when the airlines were just flying empty planes for months?

Sorry I only remember sailor

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Collegiate sports are massively corrupt. Might as well just get rid of sports programs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol this is like a brownout phone alert asking you to turn your ac off.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Justin Tyme posted:

There's no inflation because if there was then wages would also be increasing - jay

The only reason they ever cared about inflation is because that also sometimes includes wages. The elite class does not want wages to rise and Jpow serves them. IIRC I've even seen him stop himself talk about wages while in these hearings.

Now they've seen they can inflate away and wages don't budge due to collusion, so a brrrrr we will go.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

as opposed to normal, where airlines encourage pilots to take the scenic route

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

Those were their bailout conditions, lmao. Really good thing all that money was dumped on the airlines, great use of money.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
https://www.dailyposter.com/microchip-mania/

quote:

In 2000, the state began a courtship with IBM that would end up costing it hundreds of millions of dollars. In the 1980s and early 1990s, IBM had been one of the largest private employers in the Hudson Valley and played a central role in the economy. But in 1993, the company began to undertake historic layoffs in response to financial troubles, beginning in upstate New York and including 4,000 layoffs at a chip manufacturing plant in East Fishkill.

In an attempt to revive IBM’s role in the local economy, New York economic development authorities awarded the company $659 million in subsidies to build a new facility in East Fishkill and create 1,000 jobs. But in order to keep the jobs, the state had to continue subsidizing the facility. In addition to some smaller property tax abatements, in 2008 the state awarded IBM $140 million to create 1,000 jobs at its manufacturing plant in East Fishkill. When the financial crisis hit, New York paid the company an additional $45 million to avoid layoffs — but the firm laid off 900 workers anyway.

During the same decade, the state was making deals with GlobalFoundries. In 2006, New York state awarded GlobalFoundries one of the most generous local incentive deals in United States history — ultimately totaling $1.4 billion, including a $665 million cash grant — to build a facility in Malta and create 1,465 promised jobs, at a cost of $1 million per job. GlobalFoundries didn’t begin construction on the project until 2009. In the first decade of operation, the company created about double that number of jobs, while bringing in an additional $967 million in subsidies. But in 2018, GlobalFoundries laid off 424 employees in Malta as part of a worldwide restructuring.

GlobalFoundries bought the East Fishkill plant from IBM in 2014, and within a few years began shedding jobs. In 2017, GlobalFoundries began cutting East Fishkill’s workforce through voluntary buyouts, followed by layoffs in 2018. Finally, in 2019, GlobalFoundries sold the plant to a different chip company, which would receive up to $40 million in state subsidies if it retained nearly 1,000 jobs and invested in the facility over the next decade.

Soon, that plant shuttered too, and earlier this year the site was approved to become an Amazon warehouse. Amazon received over $14 million in property tax abatements to create at least 500 full-time jobs, and more part-time jobs.

“Ultimately the failure of the approach of the US government to date has been that it’s almost been strictly supply side driven,” said Hassan Khan, a tech procurement expert.

The supply side approach often works only as a short term measure, Khan argued. “With supply-side approaches… you might just pump a ton of money into building a factory, and it operates for a few years,” he said. “But if they can’t ever become economically competitive without tax breaks, either the tax breaks or subsidies continue indefinitely, or they close up shop and leave.”

Progressives say the solution is for the government to ramp up its own purchases of semiconductors, giving manufacturers certainty that there will be a market for their product. Earlier this year, the progressive think tank Data for Progress issued a policy brief laying out options for public sector semiconductor procurement, including public broadband and administrative agency information system upgrades.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

FTX and Binance just cut their leverage from 125x to 20x

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

TheContradictions.txt here

I seem to recall way back when this was first floated there was a LOT of local criticism of the idea similar to the Amazon HQ thing in the city.

fat lot of good it seems to have done :(

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Right. This nails it better than almost every other post I've seen on this topic.

It's incredibly important to understand that advice like "you need to work harder" implies that people who aren't doing well aren't working hard enough. There's no way around that no matter how much you try. I think there's a really strong and sometimes well-meaning impulse to give people advice so that they don't feel that their life is entirely out of their control, but there are better ways to approach it.

The reality is that most of what you can control is like buying a raffle ticket. The bulk of your tickets will come from things entirely out of your control, and a few come from things you have some measure of control over, but it's all random chance. You can try to stack the odds in your favor by doing all the right things, but lucking into a stable and financially secure life is never guaranteed and the number of tickets you need to have a real shot is constantly increasing.

Like never forget that tons of people try really loving hard and never get anywhere and you are implicitly making GBS threads on those people every time you insist that you can bootstrap your way to success.

right

hard work by itself is never sufficient for "making it"

you also need luck

luck, though, by itself can be sufficient. if you are born into a wealthy family, you may not need to work even a single day in your life, and you'd still have everything you need/want

that's why "work hard" is a silly thing to tell someone, because there's a very high chance that they won't be able to live a comfortable life despite working insanely hard

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Coworker offered 20k over listed price 12 hours after it entered the market and didn't get the house. So glad I'm already a homeowner so I have a place to defend against the warlords

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Randabis posted:

There was over a 300k in my dad's estate when he died in 2015 and I didn't even get a photograph. My family stole everything from me and wouldn't even let me go to the service after his funeral. They also didn't let me talk at his funeral even though I attended.

I've kept quiet about a lot of it it for years but I know the actual truth as to what happened.

I was his only blood son and rightful heir to his poo poo but since he was killed and they covered up what happened the stepmom and his other family got everything.

Curious to know how this occurred legally. The will specified the second family? Was there none and it went to probate?

Wills can be really cruel things.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I do pretty well and there was a lot of luck involved many times when I made choices that could have blown up in my face easily. Equally I have been in situations that went bad and I had to take a hit. The idea that you are fully in control of your life and can know of a choice is the right one in advance is very childish.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Does this have anything to do with the massive mergers and increasing monopolization occurring in the shipping industry?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

BigPaddy posted:

I do pretty well and there was a lot of luck involved many times when I made choices that could have blown up in my face easily. Equally I have been in situations that went bad and I had to take a hit. The idea that you are fully in control of your life and can know of a choice is the right one in advance is very childish.

same

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i've really hosed up a few times and my parents were poor so i had no safety net. it's been the pure luck of stumbling into computer programming when i did that saved my rear end.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BigPaddy posted:

17 year olds are also supposed to know what and where the job market will be 10 years in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Gunshow Poophole posted:

TheContradictions.txt here

I seem to recall way back when this was first floated there was a LOT of local criticism of the idea similar to the Amazon HQ thing in the city.

fat lot of good it seems to have done :(

NY could have had full public broadband ages ago and operational community hospitals but it was decided to send that money to the dang UAE so they could abandon the sites loooool