Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, we caught Emet-Selch in white auracyte and blasted him with light. He's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chillgamesh posted:

I actually don't think our timeline's Emet-Selch is dead. He just got trucked with a laser, there was nothing trapping his soul so that it could be burnt to a crisp like there was for Elidibus, Lahabrea, Igeyorhm, or Nabriales. He was The Toughest Ascian so there's no way he wouldn't have survived that.

He got hosed the gently caress up with an axe made out of enough Light to kill a planet. Also he had a bunch of white auracite chunks in him to keep his soul stuck there, but y'know, it's mostly the 'Shin Megami Tensei Law Apocalypse' level of aether we shoved right through his chest.

If he's not dead from that, then I give up. Because if something that can destroy a planet can't kill him, nothing ON the planet will either.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

But Emet does indeed show up to help you with Elidibus. This is after the Hades fight.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
By that logic Haurchefaunt and Ysayle are also still alive.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The usual modus operandi for the Ascians was to lie low after a Rejoining to allow society to recover for however many centuries it takes. It was only after Bahamut that conditions were special because Louisoix blunted the worst of the damage, so recovery was very brief and the world was basically as primed for another as it'd been prior to Bahamut. It's just that WoL kept ruining their plans on the Source. A successful Black Rose Calamity does a lot more damage, and if Zodiark hasn't awoken, then that's a lot more time waiting to set up the potential Ninth Calamity. Like, there were nearly 1600 years between the Sixth Calamity and the Seventh Calamity!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

just saying, and bear with me for a moment: lunar louisoix

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Cleretic posted:

Is it Fandaniel?
I'm pretty sure it's either of the twins.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

By that logic Haurchefaunt and Ysayle are also still alive.

DRK are now a light party by themselves.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
i've been going with my dumb theory of the secret final zone being the underworld itself and hades could help guide us through it a la virgil to dante

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FAUXTON posted:

just saying, and bear with me for a moment: lunar louisoix

Lunar Phoenix actually would be a pretty sick fight, though I think they already popped that bubble with Lunar Bahamut.
"Yeah, we already smoked LB at the end of a friggin' 4-man story dungeon. Not too worried about Bird Grandpa Redux."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the_steve posted:

Lunar Phoenix actually would be a pretty sick fight, though I think they already popped that bubble with Lunar Bahamut.
"Yeah, we already smoked LB at the end of a friggin' 4-man story dungeon. Not too worried about Bird Grandpa Redux."

fandaniel heard about it from a wandering minstrel but wouldn't fate have it that the version he heard was the extreme trial

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Eopia posted:

Emet Selch is dead. The only thing we use trapping an ascian soul for is to enable us to then break said soul, which we very much did when we threw a giant spear of light through it.

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, we caught Emet-Selch in white auracyte and blasted him with light. He's dead.

Cleretic posted:

He got hosed the gently caress up with an axe made out of enough Light to kill a planet. Also he had a bunch of white auracite chunks in him to keep his soul stuck there, but y'know, it's mostly the 'Shin Megami Tensei Law Apocalypse' level of aether we shoved right through his chest.

If he's not dead from that, then I give up. Because if something that can destroy a planet can't kill him, nothing ON the planet will either.

We defeat him in battle and he regenerates. They try to trap him in Auracite and he shatters it, nearly voiding everyone out in the process. Then he gets blitzed by a big laser, which Lahabrea, Mitron, and Loghrif (to varying degrees) all survive.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

We defeat him in battle and he regenerates. They try to trap him in Auracite and he shatters it, nearly voiding everyone out in the process. Then he gets blitzed by a big laser, which Lahabrea, Mitron, and Loghrif (to varying degrees) all survive.

None of them got hit by the best part of a Calamity. And his speech immediately afterwards as he speaks to you with a gaping hole through his chest is like 'yep you killed me'

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
force ghost Emet is enough for me

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Chillgamesh posted:

The auracite stayed in him. It's why his chest hole is a bunch of white crystal on the inside.

He's dead. He left a little facsimile of himself in the Azem stone to ensure elidibus could be stopped because Emet believed if we could overcome him we deserved the world and his friend should rest finally.

Hydropopalopigus says Emet left the Azem stone for us in case we were able to kill him.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 26, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Also, ES not being dead would be hugely narratively unsatisfying. It would go against the whole point of his story

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

But Emet does indeed show up to help you with Elidibus. This is after the Hades fight.

That was not really him, its just a contingency creation he made just like all the ghosts in Aumarot, because Emet was smart enough to know if you beat him then next is Elidibus and Elidibus is a dead end that will never truly succeed because he doesn't remember anything anymore, so might as well help the newbies. The contingency did what it was meant to do, (free you from Elidibus' most likely method of defeating you) and, its purpose fulfilled, dispersed back into aether.

Emet-Selch is gone.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

multijoe posted:

None of them got hit by the best part of a Calamity. And his speech immediately afterwards as he speaks to you with a gaping hole through his chest is like 'yep you killed me'

I had to look it up to see if I was remembering right. Lahabrea literally gets smote by Hydaelyn at the end of 2.0 so I don't think this is true

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The audacity stayed in him. It's why his chest hole is a bunch of white crystal on the inside.

The scene where we hit Emet with Ardbert is visually identical to the scene where Louisoix Flare Blitzes Bahamut. It's just light aether scorch marks.

Listen, I liked Emet-Selch a lot, but I don't care whether or not they bring him back in the story as a major character, and I don't think they will. I just think that given what the story presents, he isn't dead.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zeruel posted:

force ghost Emet is enough for me

Yeah, the memories of Amaurot and imperfect clones keeps the VA chewing scenery without narratively undoing my work.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The only way we're seeing Emet-Selch again is if it's a sundered version that somehow got hold of an Ascian memory crystal. Which means they're going to be a very different Emet-Selch.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

I had to look it up to see if I was remembering right. Lahabrea literally gets smote by Hydaelyn at the end of 2.0 so I don't think this is true

The scene where we hit Emet with Ardbert is visually identical to the scene where Louisoix Flare Blitzes Bahamut. It's just light aether scorch marks.

Listen, I liked Emet-Selch a lot, but I don't care whether or not they bring him back in the story as a major character, and I don't think they will. I just think that given what the story presents, he isn't dead.

It's literally crystal on the inside. He's dead.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
i mean i'm certain he's dead but i question how much that matters to someone with expert knowledge of the afterlife

edit: and also a certain friend with a stone with the power to summon friends

petcarcharodon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 26, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chillgamesh posted:

it was crystal inside him and he literally gave a 'oh poo poo you actually did it, carry on my work' reaction. I really don't know how he could be any more narratively dead.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's literally crystal on the inside. He's dead.

I don't really see how this is definitive proof that actually the auracite which he shattered and threw away like trash before nearly consuming everyone in abject darkness got his rear end? It's a terrible wound but it doesn't look anything like "soul trapped in auracite".

sexpig by night posted:

it was crystal inside him and he literally gave a 'oh poo poo you actually did it, carry on my work' reaction. I really don't know how he could be any more narratively dead.

Yeah, I agree, as far as the story is concerned he ends in a great spot. I just don't agree that he's actually dead. They 100% will bring him back if they decide to and it won't take any weird retconning or aetherbabble to do so.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

We will see Emet one more time and it's when we're on our knees broken and beaten by Zenos-Zodiark when we suddenly enter our soul-zone ala Ardbert and the spirits of the Convocation pick us up, pat us on our back, and we give them a resolute nod before turning back and delivering the final blow.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Terper posted:

We will see Emet one more time and it's when we're on our knees broken and beaten by Zenos-Zodiark when we suddenly enter our soul-zone ala Ardbert and the spirits of the Convocation pick us up, pat us on our back, and we give them a resolute nod before turning back and delivering the final blow.

The only dialogue option is 'Thank you my friend. I could not have done this without your help'

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Onean posted:

The only way we're seeing Emet-Selch again is if it's a sundered version that somehow got hold of an Ascian memory crystal. Which means they're going to be a very different Emet-Selch.

I would love this. Seeing the difference in between who he was and the shade he left behnd

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I would love this. Seeing the difference in between who he was and the shade he left behnd

It's what I imagine him "coming back" in the story would look like. He'd basically be a new character.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Onean posted:

He was never sundered so I don't think that will be possible. I wouldn't be surprised if there were recordings of him in Lahabrea's moon base, though.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Terper posted:

I am so here for this you don't even know.

That said, I'm pretty sure that yes, Emet is dead dead, it's just being dead dead doesn't mean you're gone if the right need is present.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

WrightOfWay posted:

He was never sundered so I don't think that will be possible. I wouldn't be surprised if there were recordings of him in Lahabrea's moon base, though.

I'm sure he's completely dead and gone and I don't expect to see him alive in any form in the future, but if they wanted to bring him back I could see them saying Hydaelyn's Blessing allows us to Sunder anyone Unsundered and sends them back to the Lifestream. Then, this sundered soul of Emet-Selch grows up on one of the other shards with weird time acceleration, gets the memory crystal and we meet up somehow.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

A crystal exists, I thought anyone can look into one and get the memories?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I believe every time it's mentioned they say they're a sundered soul of one of the original Convocation that gets picked up by another Ascian and then given the crystal. It could be that they're being lied to, but I don't think they are given Gaia's situation.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Chillgamesh posted:

Loghrif did not survive being smote, she died and reincarnated as people do. Lahabrea ran, which says pretty much what he felt about what was coming towards him.

Emet-Selch is dead. But as someone else summarized, how much of a limitation is it on someone who had both the degree of knowledge and control of the "afterlife" that he evidently did? Apparently enough of one that he considers his grand goal well and truly dead, but not enough that it prevented him from making a cameo appearance to save the WoL's life in the Seat of Sacrifice. And even than there's the question of how much of that was under his own power and how much of that was in whatever "gift" he was described as leaving in the soulstone.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

We might find one of his labs or his office or notes or something that gives him an excuse to show up in an Echo flashback, but yeah, Emet is dead. We Kamehameha'd him with an axe made of light aether so concentrated that it kept the world trapped in perpetual daylight.

The vision of him in the WoL fight was a contingency left behind so that he could make sure Elidibus received his closure.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

"He's dead, we hit him with a thing which has been repeatedly shown to at worst injure Ascians badly."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The other ascians were shot with a bullet. We shot Emet with a tank shell.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chillgamesh posted:

"He's dead, we hit him with a thing which has been repeatedly shown to at worst injure Ascians badly."

Yeah, but this time I went KaiyokenX10 AND supersayin primal instinct.

So it's totally gonna take. People keep on talking about shards of auracite, but nobody is talking about how they were shards at the last second because Thanked loaded the auracite bullet into his sword revolver and it was cool.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

We also hit him with the thing that when added to that beam kills them for good. And then both he and the narrative treat it as a final real death.

You're just being obtuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Chillgamesh posted:

It killed one, one ran away from it presumably out of fear of being killed, and what happened to third can hardly be called being injured badly what with mutating into a monstrosity that kicked off an extinction event and locked him inside his own mind. Even then, just because one survived if they had been hit wouldn't mean that it doesn't kill, or are we to presume Thordan is the mightiest of all beings we've fought for how effortlessly he ate one of the Unsundered?

Narrative and framing are important elements to storytelling, and the framing around what happened with Emet-Selch is not ambiguous. He fought you in a duel to the death, giving his all as you both took desperate last stands, and lost. He had a gaping hole in his chest and vanished into sparkly particles as he pleaded with you to remember that he and his people once lived. Emet-Selch is dead.