Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I have my doubts about the kids from some 1860s-rear end school room becoming astronauts, women CEOs or black judges but hey. I guess that wouldn't fit in with Keane's maudlin history lesson.

If it were in Canada, there would just be a bunch of native kid ghosts :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (November 10, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (November 10, 1999)

Garfield Classic (November 10, 1989)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 02, 1946)

Hell yeah Aleta mystery knight.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The Adventures of Prince Val and Sir Puny!

You know Val is equally parts irritated and impressed. Damnit woman, stop being so awesome!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

The Adventures of Prince Val and Sir Puny!

You know Val is equally parts irritated and impressed. Damnit woman, stop being so awesome!

I would say equal parts irritated, impressed, and intimidated by his "small wife"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Quesy?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

it ain't esy bein' quesy

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Sylvia

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

I like the Klein bottles.

The Family Circus

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

lolol loving boomer

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Let me know when you find the plant that can give me an MRI you hack.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin under sail

ryde posted:

Let me know when you find the plant that can give me an MRI you hack.

Or the insulin plant, the pacemaker plant, polio vaccine plant, etc etc etc.
People who roll opinions like this are also the kind of lovely people who see health issues as a personal flaw, it's -your- fault you're sick, if you'd just etc etc etc, you could eat that cancer away by eating enough fruit!
Health as magic and superstition pretty much. If you overcome something it's thanks to the magical healing properties of X, if you don't, it's because of your own personal failures.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
McMillan strikes me as the type to not know anything about nuclear power beyond "that three-eyed fish on The Simpsons." There can't be any potential solutions, only the revolution. Also advanced medicine isn't necessary since I, personally, am not in need of it at this time. I will just eat the health plant and nothing will go wrong, I will be 20 forever. If you have a chronic lifelong condition then sacrifices have to be made, except by me, someone who will go into the post-revolution as a respected visionary with no change in my current comfort level.

Jucika "149 - Jucika's Second Shift"

That first panel hits a lot different these days, though I still like this strip overall.

"150 -Jucika's Carnival"

"151 - Jucika And The Fashion"

Love the panel meta-gags. :allears:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Johnny Aztec posted:

lolol loving boomer

Dads got a point. The son is taking advantage of all the stuff his dad provided and then insults him to his face.
Turn 18 kid.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Crab Dad posted:

Dads got a point. The son is taking advantage of all the stuff his dad provided and then insults him to his face.
Turn 18 kid.

So, how old were you when you realized you had let all your dreams die

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I finally found a source for something I've toyed around with the idea of posting for a good while. Here's the first installment of Vater und Sohn (Father and Son) by e. o. plauen, as he wrote his name, originally published in December 1938 in the Berlin weekly paper Berliner Illustrirte Zeitung (lit. Berlin Illustrated Newspaper, unspectacularly enough).

The bad homework essay

I'l try and post it regularly for a while, and if it has legs in the thread, I will absolutely give you more background info as we go along. You may have already put two and two together and realized Berlin in the 1930s was one of the more interesting places in the world to be. This will be a factor.

(In case you're wondering, they all had titles like that.)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, how old were you when you realized you had let all your dreams die

Around 14 when my dad sat me down with the paychecks, mortgage and bills to explain to me why I wasn’t getting an allowance and to go get a summer job.

Could be worse. My grandfather was rented out starting at age 5.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

lolol loving boomer

Jeremy is a good kid with good priorities, the best thing a 15 year old can do is enrage boomers

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
nah, it's just typical entitled boomer rage.

" Did you ever have any hopes or dreams beyond dentistry?"

" YOU LITTLE poo poo, I GIVE YOU A HOUSE AND A HOME AND THIS IS THE RESPECT YOU PAY ME?!"

Like, Dude is trying to open up a convo to possibly discuss his own aspirations for the future and you just turn it around to make it about yourself and disrespect. Seen it a thousand times with boomers.

I'm pretty sure that , at this point in the strip-timeline, that they had both been to Woodstock. Sounds like Jeremy really touched a nerve.

"Both" meaning the mother and father, who at this moment I cannot recall either of their names.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 26, 2021

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

nah, it's just typical entitled boomer rage.

" Did you ever have any hopes or dreams beyond dentistry?"

" YOU LITTLE poo poo, I GIVE YOU A HOUSE AND A HOME AND THIS IS THE RESPECT YOU PAY ME?!"

I'm pretty sure that , at this point in the strip-timeline, that they had both been to Woodstock. Sounds like Jeremy really touched a nerve.

Not quite yet, that happens towards the end of this collection. Spoiler, but turns out that Walt and his friends left when it started raining and ended up painting someone’s grandma’s kitchen all weekend instead. The Good Kid runs strong in this family.

Also Walt is an orthodontist, not a dentist. Pedantic correction but we’re all goons here after all.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (July 22, 1995)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
We're almost fully caught up!

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

EasyEW posted:

Crisis In Infinite "Minimum Security" Strips

2007: (July 2-6)

Have fun with your less potent medicines with inconsistent doses of the active ingredient, I guess. It's not like anyone ever fell ill or died young before the industrial revolution, I'm sure you'd be fine. Also have fun not having things like vaccines to keep poo poo like polio/measles/covid from wrecking people's lives.

quote:

I'd much rather deal with the problem of storing nuclear waste(or whatever it is Steph is hand-wringing about) than climate change, but that's just me.

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Dusty invokes Max Payne's jump dodge, or Blueberry gets VERY upset at McClure, or Proof that I've been hanging around in Sweden long enough - I kept writing 'major' for 'mayor'

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Haifisch posted:

I'd much rather deal with the problem of storing nuclear waste(or whatever it is Steph is hand-wringing about) than climate change, but that's just me.

Every single reactor is Chernobyl and Three Mile Island to the green movement.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Oh no, the Tackleford Fire Brigade is here!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SubNat posted:

Or the insulin plant, the pacemaker plant, polio vaccine plant, etc etc etc.
People who roll opinions like this are also the kind of lovely people who see health issues as a personal flaw, it's -your- fault you're sick, if you'd just etc etc etc, you could eat that cancer away by eating enough fruit!
Health as magic and superstition pretty much. If you overcome something it's thanks to the magical healing properties of X, if you don't, it's because of your own personal failures.

She'd just say that stuff like diabetes and heart disease are caused by eating the horrible poisonous foods that modern society has given us and if we'd just go back to being hunter gatherers all those illnesses would disappear. She comes pretty close to saying it outright in this strip:

See it's just all the pollution from technology that is making you sick, come live in a cave and wear leaves and you will be completely free of health problems, besides the ones that are easily cured by eating a plant.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

This is an outstanding example of German post-Modernist art and if memory serves, it was featured in one of the history of the newspaper comics collections I have squirreled away somewhere. Just gorgeous.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 26, 2021

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

So the deleters are the bad guys in this after all.

Gonna say this: BORING.

I beg you, Mandrake, do a twist sometimes. Don't be super obvious all the time.

You could've had Stryke go "You fool! They were super wanted criminals and you let them get away with your tomfoolery! Now we have to run after them again!"

But no. You go for the boring option. Yawn.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

PainterofCrap posted:

This is an outstanding example of German post-Modernist art and if memory serves, it was featured in one of the history of the newspaper comics collections I have squirreled away somewhere. Just gorgeous.

Post-modernist in 1906?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The Germans were ahead of the time.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

This pairs well with the previous day's strip

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU

e: not you, Johnny Walker. This goddamn idiotic strip.
I figured it wasn't directed at me, but thanks for clarifying! :)
You posted this OtF instead of 7/15's Safe Havens.

Sorry, everybody.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Jules throwing some light shade at CK commenters.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

I don't think it's that difficult to get VCRs today. Friend of mine is a collector of VHS and still watches them on one.

Apartment 3-G

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kavak posted:

Every single reactor is Chernobyl and Three Mile Island to the green movement.
Ah yes, how could I forget. And this is Steph so naturally she hates electricity existing at all(with grudging tolerance for the bare minimum needed to store medicine, at least in the later minsec story).

Twelve by Pies posted:

See it's just all the pollution from technology that is making you sick, come live in a cave and wear leaves and you will be completely free of health problems, besides the ones that are easily cured by eating a plant.
Just make sure you don't mistake a good plant for one that will kill you if you eat it. It's okay, nobody's died of that before the modern age either!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Walt's butt is a nightmare.

Docks

Retail

Popcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Johnny Walker posted:

I figured it wasn't directed at me, but thanks for clarifying! :)

You posted this OtF instead of 7/15's Safe Havens.

Sorry, everybody.

Ah poo poo

I already cancelled my Comics Kingdom subscription and it's being weird about letting me re-up right now, I'll figure this out later