Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
if you were to challenge these people before the act, they would most likely imo protest that you cannot stop them and you are a health and safety gone mad

if you were to challenge these people after the act, they would most likely imo protest that there should be more signs and ask who they can claim from for the cost of a new engine

https://twitter.com/tai_yaku/status/1419453442737594369/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Do they think if they go fast enough they can outrun the water or something?

They've all seen Cannonball Run and think they can skip over the surface like Jackie Chan.

e: Huh, weird, I was sure that it was him that did it but it turns out it was actually the Lamborghini:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxdpKopak8o

ee: Thinking about it a Countach has its engine air inlets on the roof so could probably actually ford a river pretty well although I'd probably let someone else try it first.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 26, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

crispix posted:

sadly i think the mentality required to see a body of water of unfathomable depth and set about plunging a car into it so it becomes buoyant is not that uncommon

I think it’s a ‘it’ll never happen to me’ thing. Wonder where we’ve seen that before (in me at times, for one).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i was thinking more like roger moore's submersible lotus in the spy who loved me

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it's the same mentality that gets so many people killed on the roads: most people are just utterly poo poo at assessing risk while they are driving and in many cases don't even bother trying

minema
May 31, 2011
There must be some gardeners in here - we've moved and now have a little bit of room for veg growing but I don't know where to start and I like to absorb information soon - any UK based books/YouTube folks that are good for beginner gardeners?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They've all seen Cannonball Run and think they can skip over the surface like Jackie Chan.

Ah somebody also aware of the ill fated Cannonball Run III Speedzone. A man of class!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i almost wrote my saab off at xmas plowing through a big puddle and i'm no idiot, these things happen.

crispix posted:

i was thinking more like roger moore's submersible lotus in the spy who loved me

elon owns this and if you want to pretend to be a spy you can tell your tesla to pretend to be it on the screen

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I don't remember if i ever even covered how to ford a river because I have no idea where the nearest one to me would be, but I was under the impression that you are supposed to do it slowly. And also check the depth marker first.

Also if there are people hanging out looking for an excuse to film you that's probably a hint too.
Also know your vehicle's maximum fording depth, always test your brakes afterwards, and keep a pair of thigh high waterproof boots and a sjambok in your car just in case there isn't a depth marker.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

and i'm no idiot

Welllll…

No I joke, that’s unlucky though. I think it’s one of them where if you watch a highlight reel they seem like idiots but in the moment when the choice is that or reverse back and do whatever other thing you’d have to do, it’s very tempting to our idiot animal minds to just go for it. I probably would.

How have people been coping with the climate poo poo that’s been happening? I’ve been wrestling my life quite hard to put it back on some decent track and I’ve got to say the whole wildfires everywhere thing has made it a struggle even though I try not to worry about global events too much at the moment - it’s even harder to motivate oneself to bigger and better things when the literal planet is being destroyed. It’s like fighting a rising tide (haha) - you can do it for a bit but the (mental) collapse is inevitable.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

minema posted:

There must be some gardeners in here - we've moved and now have a little bit of room for veg growing but I don't know where to start and I like to absorb information soon - any UK based books/YouTube folks that are good for beginner gardeners?
Green beans are an easy and productive place to start (I grow them in a large container. I find climbing beans easier than runner beans that for me either don't set or grow small and mis-shaped. Crossed fingers for this year). Tomatoes are also dead easy.

I think the trick with being a garden is not 'not killing plants' but accepting you will kill lots and not becoming disheartened by it

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 26, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kerbtree posted:

I’ve finally figured out why brexit is going wrong.

In what way?
Strong britain is greater than ever

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Warmed Britain, grape nation

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jakabite posted:

Welllll…

No I joke, that’s unlucky though. I think it’s one of them where if you watch a highlight reel they seem like idiots but in the moment when the choice is that or reverse back and do whatever other thing you’d have to do, it’s very tempting to our idiot animal minds to just go for it. I probably would.

How have people been coping with the climate poo poo that’s been happening? I’ve been wrestling my life quite hard to put it back on some decent track and I’ve got to say the whole wildfires everywhere thing has made it a struggle even though I try not to worry about global events too much at the moment - it’s even harder to motivate oneself to bigger and better things when the literal planet is being destroyed. It’s like fighting a rising tide (haha) - you can do it for a bit but the (mental) collapse is inevitable.

One loving day at a time, mate. That's all I got to offer. One day at a time.

Yeah, the end is pretty loving nigh, but ultimately, in all of that, you only got one life and you're going to have to live it anyway. You just happen to have been born in interesting times. There's nothing you can do about it except your best

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

[citation needed]

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My climate plan is to move to higher ground when I can

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Communist Thoughts posted:

My climate plan is to move to higher ground when I can

I like being in Scotland as it's at the top so we won't get flooded for ages.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

minema posted:

Charles Dowding has a no-dig gardening philosophy, a farm in the south of England, and Youtube channel. Tomatoes and various types of lettuce are very forgiving, but whether it's good for you depends how fond of salad you are. Potatoes are easy but a bit of a delayed gratification.

The RHS has various books about growing your own veg and fruit, some of them general and some of them about container gardening , so there should be something suitable for you.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jakabite posted:

Welllll…

I think it's probably that coming across a ford when you're out driving is really rare, and when people do approach one, they assume by default that if it was really hazardous, it'd be fenced off and there'd be diversion signs and stuff. "Well, the road is open and the sat-nav says that's the way so, despite the evidence of my own eyes, I'm just going to drive right into it!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Welllll…

Fording on motorbikes is theoretically a simple affair. You have narrow tyres, so much less chance of floating or planing, you have a high air intake (at least on modern bikes), and electronics and components that are generally very tolerant of water because of course they're just out there in the rain. As long as the bottom is relatively solid and grippy (and you don't mind wet feet) you just stand on the pegs and go for it at a fast walking speed.

Now if what you come to is not in fact a ford, but instead a culvert running under the road that has collapsed so it drops off 2 feet almost vertically as soon as your front wheel hits the water, all you can do is nail the throttle and fishtail up the almost vertical other side, then pull over, smoke three cigarettes as the cascading realisations - if you'd come off you might have been pinned under the bike and drowned, if you hadn't your phone - in your non-waterproof jacket pocket - would have been trashed leaving you with no way of getting help, you're at least two miles from the last building you've seen, and even if you'd avoided all that you'll have just trashed your only means of transport beyond all repair just because "Ooh that road looks quiet" - all crash over you, then go at walking pace to the motorway and stick to A roads for the next six months or so.

I mean that's what would happen if you were an idiot, that definitely didn't happen to me at all.

(As it turns out a very nice farmer from that building I'd seen 2 miles ago had seen me go down that particular road and had jumped in his Land Rover to follow me down just in case I'd run into trouble and he happened along about 5 minutes later while I was still sitting on the embankment contemplating mortality so I'd have probably been alright, and I went almost a full day without slagging off people from Essex thanks to that little bit of kindness)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

The RHS has various books about growing your own veg and fruit, some of them general and some of them about container gardening , so there should be something suitable for you.

And The Works are selling a box set of the four of them for a tenner.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
motorbikes are something that just don't exist to me, i mean obviously they do but i don't think of them as being a form of transport or a thing you can leisurely drive through the highlands of scotland, they are just a thing other people do that i will never ever have a need to experience like heroin or seafood

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Adolf Glitter posted:

I like being in Scotland as it's at the top so we won't get flooded for ages.

I think you have a few years. Net rate of sea-level rise is 1.4mm per year.

For a time, this rebound of the land overtook global sea-level rise. But uplift rates are now modest – no more than 0.6mm per year. At the same time, coastal waters around the UK are rising at rates of up to 2mm per year. The net result is that the whole of Scotland is now experiencing sea-level rise.

https://www.nature.scot/landforms-and-geology/scotlands-rocks-landforms-and-soils/landforms/coasts/present-and-future-sea-levels

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
There was a ford near where I grew up, next to the old mill. At some point someone had sensibly built another better road that didn't require a ford parralel to the old road, so you would only ever use the road with the ford if you were visiting the old mill.

Naturally this meant that when the river was flooded rather than turning round and making a ~1 minute backtrack to join the new better road, tourists would floor it through the ford and the bloke who owned the mill would have to tow their cars out and take them to the garage (which he also owned).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JollyBoyJohn posted:

motorbikes are something that just don't exist to me, i mean obviously they do but i don't think of them as being a form of transport or a thing you can leisurely drive through the highlands of scotland, they are just a thing other people do that i will never ever have a need to experience like heroin or seafood

You can transport an entire family of 5 on a bike, just like a car.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Z the IVth posted:

You can transport an entire family of 5 on a bike, just like a car.

As frequently seen around the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojp2Z8p7MKA

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I chose not to transport an entire family of 5. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin or seafood?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I totally get that it's not for everyone, but it genuinely does completely change the way you perceive travel. A car driver sees this junction:

and probably gets slightly stressed about making sure they hit the right exit, a biker sees it and goes twenty miles out of their way to go around it from every possible direction.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
just go over the grass bits imo

somehow always feels tempting when you see roundabouts from above

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Well there's some trees in those grass bits so

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
of course you go around the trees DON'T BE STUPID :mad:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm not an expert but I think the handle bars on a motorbike can be used to steer it round roundabouts?

Oh hold on you mean to go round it not like avoid it? That makes more sense.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 26, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm not an expert but I think the handle bars on a motorbike can be used to steer it round roundabouts?

Oh hold on you mean to go round it not like avoid it? That makes more sense.

For fucks sake don't start a counter-steering argument.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No you're supposed to lean. The handlebars are just to hold the bit of card that makes them go vrrrrrrr vrrrrrrrrr.

crispix posted:

just go over the grass bits imo
You can go straight over mini roundabouts in larger vehicles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also do it in a corsa if you are brave or paying less attention than you should be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I should say you're allowed to go over them in larger vehicles, as if it's just a junction, but yes you can go over them in most things with varying degrees of it being a good idea.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The actual aristocracy has never really done politics in this country simply because they don't have to, society just bends to their whims. We're born tugging our forelocks - even after we had an actual, king-killing revolution, we let all the aristocracy keep all their poo poo, then quietly put his son on the throne a decade later like nothing had happened.

Probably because it wasnt an actual class based revolution whatever Christopher Hill might tell you. Parliament's commander in chief was Lord Fairfax of Cameron after all.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

For fucks sake don't start a counter-steering argument.

If you go round the graveyard 3 times at midnight counter-clockwise on a motorbike, while eating an apple, does the devil with the red eyes appear? Or is that only if you run?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The devil appears and throws the horns up if you do a wheelie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they should put a little mini lawn and bonsai trees on mini roundabouts imo

vote crispix party for this and many, many more exciting policies