Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I've skipped the last few pages to avoid spoilers, gonna catch up on the last 2 fight night events tonight, any particular fights to watch or avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Hector Lombard is calling out woodley?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

GTO posted:

I've skipped the last few pages to avoid spoilers, gonna catch up on the last 2 fight night events tonight, any particular fights to watch or avoid?

Makhachev vs. Moisés (the card) was great, don't skip anything.

If you're short on time you can probably skip Belbita vs Goldy on this recent card but eh, it wasn't too bad either.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Only Hector Lombard could write a callout post about someone messing with his girlfriend where he has to bring up and summarily dismiss that he was already cheating on her as a background detail.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CarlCX posted:

Only Hector Lombard could write a callout post about someone messing with his girlfriend where he has to bring up and summarily dismiss that he was already cheating on her as a background detail.

I think he was painting Woodley as wanting to horn in on his sidepiece, not Lombard's gf.
Woodley doesn't look great, but obviously neither does Hector.
Also free shot at Ricardo Libório for trying to keep it all swept under the rug.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Hector Lombard is a turd, and the night that Magny beat him was a night of underrated poetic justice.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Brut posted:

Makhachev vs. Moisés (the card) was great, don't skip anything.

If you're short on time you can probably skip Belbita vs Goldy on this recent card but eh, it wasn't too bad either.

Thanks! Plenty to watch then.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

nordichammer posted:

Hector Lombard is a turd, and the night that Magny beat him was a night of underrated poetic justice.

I can never watch that fight again. It effectively broke Lombard forever, and I'm a little surprised it didn't also break Magny forever

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
TJ’s performance against Barao is the first time I described a fight as “beautiful”.

and Bruce announced him as a “Monkey Style fighter”

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

reeg posted:

I can never watch that fight again. It effectively broke Lombard forever, and I'm a little surprised it didn't also break Magny forever

based entirely off of second hand accounts but enough of them to feel justified, i like seeing lombard get hurt badly.

i loved it when he came out of bellator as some sort of unstoppable force of nature and sturdy, rugged ol' tim boetsch loving beat him in his debut ufc fight that was supposed to be a gimme to get everyone all lathered up. lol.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On the other hand it was funny and good that after Hector Lombard got a technicality TKO win against Joe Riggs at a bareknuckle bout last month, that some other dude got into Hector's face in the post-fight interview, causing Hector to deck him and forcing Joe Riggs to break up the fight between his opponent and some other random dude.

Hector may be a piece of mush-brained garbage, but he's still generating entertainment value for us.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I missed Riggs' entire UFC run, but he seems like a fairly reasonable dude? His interview about fighting Nick Diaz in hospital after their UFC match was very funny.

nordichammer posted:

Both being in the arena and having money on Magny combined into an experience I will never shut up about. So good.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Hollandia posted:

I missed Riggs' entire UFC run, but he seems like a fairly reasonable dude? His interview about fighting Nick Diaz in hospital after their UFC match was very funny.

Apparently he fell in love with Montana after hanging out with Tim Welch at the MMA Lab and started a gym in Great Falls :allears:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I watched Franklin/Silva 1 and 2 cos it was mentioned earlier and 1) Silva was good and 2) holy moly Franklin was huge

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1419808674814509058

Monday and we already lost a fight on the weekend card that isn't that great in the first place

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Another fight got cancelled
https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1419848057143824387?s=20

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Can’t wait to see Colby get decapitated by Usman this fall

Colby’s extremely good but I’m unsure what he has to give usman to make things go differently this time around + you can argue usman’s only looked better & better since their last bout. The only thing that’ll make it better is if fate allows Keith “beer and cigarettes” Peterson to ref it again :sickos:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

I watched Franklin/Silva 1 and 2 cos it was mentioned earlier and 1) Silva was good and 2) holy moly Franklin was huge

Franklin was one of the prototypical dudes who was genuinely really well conditioned for MMA. He was ahead of the curve in more than a couple of ways and probably would have been champion for a long time if Silva didn't exist. Also, his fight with Hendo was one of the first really good MMA fights I saw that wasn't an insane brawl, it was just two really good fighters trying to figure each other out.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

The only thing that’ll make it better is if fate allows Keith “beer and cigarettes” Peterson to ref it again :sickos:

Let's let Steve Mazzagati make one last blood sacrifice and then never see him again

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

it appears that the MMA gods really want you to watch Pitbull/McKee

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Franklin was one of the prototypical dudes who was genuinely really well conditioned for MMA. He was ahead of the curve in more than a couple of ways and probably would have been champion for a long time if Silva didn't exist. Also, his fight with Hendo was one of the first really good MMA fights I saw that wasn't an insane brawl, it was just two really good fighters trying to figure each other out.

Didn't Franklin basically train in his garage with some friends part time while being a teacher?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1419875028011679744?s=19

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Hell yeah Cocaine Conor is gonna tweet and delete a bunch of crazy poo poo, let's go

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

This is an odd thing to say, even for a cokehead that gets bludgeoned for a living

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

DoombatINC posted:

This is an odd thing to say, even for a cokehead that gets bludgeoned for a living

He's referring to Khabib's comment after the last Dustin fight, "good always defeats evil"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

LobsterMobster posted:

He's referring to Khabib's comment after the last Dustin fight, "good always defeats evil"

JESUS CHRIST

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Woooooow

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

conor thinks a comment like that will get him a rematch. in reality it could get him murdered

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

I'm wondering if Khabib will straight up murder him if he runs into him.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Scapegoat posted:

I'm wondering if Khabib will straight up murder him if he runs into him.

if he wants to kill conor he doesn't have to do it himself. whats the point of having to be friends with a dictator if you cant ask him to do you a favor?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

LobsterMobster posted:

Boy I'd hate to be a fly on the wall when Khabib reads that tweet, because that fly and that wall and the building to which they are component are all going to be ashes

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Exceptionally pathetic to say something that personal and brutal to a guy who has already kicked your rear end badly and is retired.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Like, imagine the outcome if there wasnt an imperative to stop twisting your neck and the guy who twisted your neck real hard the last time had even more of a reason to not want to let go

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dustin calmly calling Conor a "dirt bag" in his post fight after fight number 3 is one of the most accurate and most succinct summations of another fighter ever.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 27, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
We have to make a correction to noted paleontologist Duncan.

They don't move in herds, they move in shoals because they're going to need the meat shields.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
since it's already been deleted, here's a screenshot. It's off sherdog, so my apologies for that

It's hard to pick the weirdest thing about this but #fanny #wife is my pick.

TheKingslayer posted:

Didn't Franklin basically train in his garage with some friends part time while being a teacher?

If the UFC unplugged or whatever thing is to be believed, he had a dedicated coach and a genuinely grueling conditioning routine. He was also pretty scientific and careful about his diet. He was a massive middleweight and had a very good gas tank. He also had exceptionally sophisticated mma striking for his era. His era was also one where professional fighters didn't know what a jab was, but still.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 27, 2021

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LobsterMobster posted:

conor sobered up early tuesday morning (good for him) enough to delete the tweet. any recollection what it said?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Eat This Glob posted:

conor sobered up early tuesday morning (good for him) enough to delete the tweet. any recollection what it said?

Covid is good, father is evil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lid posted:

Covid is good, father is evil?

in reference to abdulmanap? jesus christ. id be careful about upsetting the universe talking about what dads are bad if i were conor lol