Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zat posted:

MS Flight Sim for Xbox looks real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wCN1uiRxfc

this mfer needs to slow down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Anyone know if they ever updated Australia? When it came out they didn't even have the Sydney harbour bridge which was pretty inexcusable.

And my neighbourhood looks like this irl but is flat like it was 20 years ago in the game.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Zat posted:

Hell yes! I am so much looking forward to this one, pre-installed and ready to go!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Zat posted:

Drop the god drat PC patch already!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

John F Bennett posted:

Hell yes! I am so much looking forward to this one, pre-installed and ready to go!

Big same, since I wasn't able to upgrade my PC in the last year and a half, this is probably my most anticipated release this year until Forza Horizon 5. Cannot wait to crash into my house in 4k.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

If you have good internet, you can decrease the game size by about 55 GB.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-offline-mode-for-msfs-on-xbox/ar-AAMzW5d

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i love FSX and still play it, because my computer sucks. I'd like to play the new flight simulator but are there even any flight sticks for xbox series x?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Fixins posted:

i love FSX and still play it, because my computer sucks. I'd like to play the new flight simulator but are there even any flight sticks for xbox series x?

Video says you can hook up mouse and keyboard and play on console. Dunno about other accessories though.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fixins posted:

Yes, these are the official ones
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/07/22/official-microsoft-flight-sim-accessories/

Beyond that I'm sure someone over the next couple weeks will plug a bunch of existing ones in to see if they work

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I'm hoping my Logitech 3d works as it was a pain to find one when flight sim came out on pc.

It's gonna be a pain again if everyone's looking for a smaller subset of compatible gear.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
How much data does casual flying in online mode use? I've got a data cap that I've at least gotta be somewhat conscious of but I still want the highest quality assets (which I'm guessing the offline version doesn't provide).

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I can’t wait to fly to my old neighbourhood once and then uninstall the game and never play it again

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

American McGay posted:

How much data does casual flying in online mode use? I've got a data cap that I've at least gotta be somewhat conscious of but I still want the highest quality assets (which I'm guessing the offline version doesn't provide).

What's your cap

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
1TB/m, but between my regular usage I've probably got about 300GB a month of wiggle room.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I think PC has a data cap feature and you can turn off real time clouds and stuff but I've heard it's like a gig an hour. You can also download the high-fidelity assets for areas you may frequent more often. Not sure if that's in the console version though.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I saw a mouse cursor in the top left corner as I tried to launch MSFS. :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yes, these are the official ones
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/07/22/official-microsoft-flight-sim-accessories/

Beyond that I'm sure someone over the next couple weeks will plug a bunch of existing ones in to see if they work

Yeah honestly I'm probably going to try plugging in my saitek x52 and see what happens at least, I can't deal with the settings I have to use to play on PC so if it somehow works I'd be pretty pleased. But if not I am hoping for at least somewhat okay controller binds (lol good lord that's probably a mistake).

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

ZeeBoi posted:

I can’t wait to fly to my old neighbourhood once and then uninstall the game and never play it again

You missed the part where you crash in to your old house then uninstall :dukedog:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Forza 5 keeps getting prettier every time I look at it, seems to be the most diverse scenery they've done so far.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/07/26/exploring-the-biomes-and-seasons-of-forza-horizon-5/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

when does Flight Sim unlock :argh:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Atomicrops is on Gamepass. You start at your farm planting then run away to defeat non-respawning enemy camps for loot, then return to the farm at nightfall to defend crops from enemies. That would be fine if you had a "teleport home" button but you don't. You have to either hunt for a random teleportation hole or run back and forth constantly over increasingly long distances and it sucks a lot of fun out.

Each day/night cycle is only a few minutes long, after which a helicopter returns you to town to shop and upgrade before the next round. You don't find weapons, you have to buy them with spuds(currency). There are only like ten weapons and they break after each round. You can upgrade them, but they'll still break. Other general upgrades that persists across runs are mostly "+1%" trash and don't really make the game more fun.

The art, animation, and sound are great at least. The sentient crops are my goofy little buddies and they're very endearing. The farm animals and little characters in town and the celebration after talking to the mayor at the end of a season are cute.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Its on a super weird schedule set by America's 27th of July so in Japan, for instance, it unlocks at midnight of the 28th

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Technically it's already unlocked as an Xbox app, but since it's a weird online service game it won't actually work until they flip the switch on their end, which probably won't be until like noon Eastern so they can be ready to troubleshoot any issues.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

not for another six hours :negative:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Come on Phil, flip that switch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Come on Phil, flip that switch.

Accidentally flips the wrong switch and releases the Blinx the Timesweeper Visual Novel he's been tooling away on.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Has anyone itt repaired a series 2 elite controller before? The right bumper on mine gave out a while back (its out of warranty) and i was gonna have a try pulling it apart and replacing it myself.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

John F Bennett posted:

Forza 5 keeps getting prettier every time I look at it, seems to be the most diverse scenery they've done so far.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/07/26/exploring-the-biomes-and-seasons-of-forza-horizon-5/

My god that’s stunning. Even though they’re on GamePass, I always buy the FH games. While they consistently improve (for the most part), the locations are different and there’s almost infinite replayability. Can’t imagine 100%’ing any of them. I still even go back to FH2 sometimes.

I think if I made a list of my favorite games of all-time, the top four would be Forza Horizon in descending order. Not even a big racing guy. Horizon and Test Drive Unlimited are just gaming crack.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Has anyone itt repaired a series 2 elite controller before? The right bumper on mine gave out a while back (its out of warranty) and i was gonna have a try pulling it apart and replacing it myself.

I did a series 1 bumper, bought a kit off eBay and watched a YouTube video. It was pretty easy and works fine now, but I think I prefer the new controllers better now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Do you need free space for Flight Simulator on your Xbox Series X the fourth or so Xbox? Well I have good news! I've done a copious breakdown of the game made by war criminals and misogynists. Realizing this descriptor doesn't narrow things down, I'm talking about Call of Duty, and on top of funding some of the worst pieces of poo poo humanity has yet to offer, it takes up a lot of space. In fact, to install "everything" on a Series X (basically so every menu option in the current CoD does what it says, and also has the HD graphics), you're looking at 433.3 gigs, of which 203.4 gigs has to be on fast storage. Now let's break it down.

2019's Modern Warfare got a whole client do-over because what actually matters to Activision's bottom line is Warzone, so installing the game gives you Warzone and you can't actually remove the Warzone components. That baseline is already a beefy 96.5 gigs. The other components are the MW 2019 campaign at 26.2 gigs, the non-warzone standard multiplayer at 34.8 gigs, and Spec Ops at 37.3 gigs, with around 21.5 gigs shared between those modes in some fashion, so installing everything is "only" 173.3 gigs. But now if you're outputting at 1440p or higher you might want the HD Texture packs too, which total 56.6 gigs for the five packs currently available (I'm not sure if this is beneficial for Series S users or not).

2020's Call of Duty Reagan is a bit weird since the install sizes are wildly different at least between Xbox One classes of consoles and the Xbox Series X (and the Series S is probably a third layout but I don't know its details). The "base game" which I don't think lets you do anything by itself and is just a menu is 52 gigs on XB1 and 49 gigs on Series X, however the content packs are larger on the latter: Campaign is 36.7 on XB1 and 56.8 gigs on Series X, Multiplayer's split is 25 and 45.2, Zombies is 9.1 and 18.9, and Dead Ops Arcade is 13.9. Further ballooning the Series X's install size are two HD Asset packages which also download: HD textures at 58.3 gigs (which doesn't appear to be offered on XB1X), and a Ray Tracing pack at 19 gigs.

I'll close this off by breaking down the disc version experience. So if you get the "cross gen" disc it is, as with all cross-gen discs, just the XB1 version on disc, however it also has the "cross-gen bundle" license on the disc so it'll trigger the Series X version's install, that 10 meg file is definitely worth the extra :10bux:. Now although it has the XB1 version's data on the disc you might be wondering how you get 127.9 gigs out of it, and the answer is via a 108.89 gig mandatory update, because I'm pretty sure the disc does nothing without said update, sorry Reaganites with no internet. Although 38.8 gigs of data lives on the disc, some of it got replaced with newer patches so only 18.97 gigs is pulled from the disc now. Series X users get to download the entirety of the 203.4 gigs, but you'll want to make sure the four "content pack" DLC packages on the disc get installed or the menu options won't work.

In short, Call of Duty is a successful franchise made by a diverse group of talented people and you should definitely only have it installed and nothing else, which the game helpfully helps you manage by leaving no space for anything else.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ok

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

univbee posted:

Do you need free space for Flight Simulator on your Xbox Series X the fourth or so Xbox? Well I have good news! I've done a copious breakdown of the game made by war criminals and misogynists. Realizing this descriptor doesn't narrow things down, I'm talking about Call of Duty, and on top of funding some of the worst pieces of poo poo humanity has yet to offer, it takes up a lot of space. In fact, to install "everything" on a Series X (basically so every menu option in the current CoD does what it says, and also has the HD graphics), you're looking at 433.3 gigs, of which 203.4 gigs has to be on fast storage. Now let's break it down.

2019's Modern Warfare got a whole client do-over because what actually matters to Activision's bottom line is Warzone, so installing the game gives you Warzone and you can't actually remove the Warzone components. That baseline is already a beefy 96.5 gigs. The other components are the MW 2019 campaign at 26.2 gigs, the non-warzone standard multiplayer at 34.8 gigs, and Spec Ops at 37.3 gigs, with around 21.5 gigs shared between those modes in some fashion, so installing everything is "only" 173.3 gigs. But now if you're outputting at 1440p or higher you might want the HD Texture packs too, which total 56.6 gigs for the five packs currently available (I'm not sure if this is beneficial for Series S users or not).

2020's Call of Duty Reagan is a bit weird since the install sizes are wildly different at least between Xbox One classes of consoles and the Xbox Series X (and the Series S is probably a third layout but I don't know its details). The "base game" which I don't think lets you do anything by itself and is just a menu is 52 gigs on XB1 and 49 gigs on Series X, however the content packs are larger on the latter: Campaign is 36.7 on XB1 and 56.8 gigs on Series X, Multiplayer's split is 25 and 45.2, Zombies is 9.1 and 18.9, and Dead Ops Arcade is 13.9. Further ballooning the Series X's install size are two HD Asset packages which also download: HD textures at 58.3 gigs (which doesn't appear to be offered on XB1X), and a Ray Tracing pack at 19 gigs.

I'll close this off by breaking down the disc version experience. So if you get the "cross gen" disc it is, as with all cross-gen discs, just the XB1 version on disc, however it also has the "cross-gen bundle" license on the disc so it'll trigger the Series X version's install, that 10 meg file is definitely worth the extra :10bux:. Now although it has the XB1 version's data on the disc you might be wondering how you get 127.9 gigs out of it, and the answer is via a 108.89 gig mandatory update, because I'm pretty sure the disc does nothing without said update, sorry Reaganites with no internet. Although 38.8 gigs of data lives on the disc, some of it got replaced with newer patches so only 18.97 gigs is pulled from the disc now. Series X users get to download the entirety of the 203.4 gigs, but you'll want to make sure the four "content pack" DLC packages on the disc get installed or the menu options won't work.

In short, Call of Duty is a successful franchise made by a diverse group of talented people and you should definitely only have it installed and nothing else, which the game helpfully helps you manage by leaving no space for anything else.

:thanks:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

univbee posted:

This should become the new thread title. All of it.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

univbee posted:

Could you be more specific, please

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was too long and therefore I did not read it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Could you be more specific, please

Call of Duty is a video game. When you boop, it beeps. When you beep, it boops. It is different from Pac-Man because you don’t put in quarters to play, in fact that would probably break your Xbox.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would rather endlessly play the worst CoD (blops 3) than a single second of Mucro$haft Shite Simulator!!!!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sitting in front of my 4K TV all ready to take flight like

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

univbee posted:

Sitting in front of my 4K TV all ready to take flight like

Not close enough. Sit closer. If everything isn't life size then you're not really playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
My plan is to turn on all the assists and play Flight Simulator like a very bare bones Pilot Wings.