Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Zurtilik posted:

The dungeon I had the worst time with was the one with the weird resonating crystals. It's been a bit since I've done it though so if that isn't actually anything in the game I've done a bad job describing it.

dzmael darkhold. yeah for that one you'll want to have the tank drag the mob packs to the purple crystals so everyone takes way less damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Yes, yes! Thankfully people in FFXIV will explain mechanics to you, so they promptly explained it to me and life went fine for the most part.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

On the one hand DD has some terrible 2.x dungeon mechanics, but on the other hand it has toad + cliff, so who can say if it is good or bad?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hey thread - how important is weapon damage when leveling? I'm having a bit of a struggle with a lvl 45 BLM quest, and realized that my weapon is like, lvl 26, and am wondering if an upgrade helps or if it's mostly inconsequential at this stage?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

weapon is the most important upgrade for achieving more damage. try to keep it at level whenever possible.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

squirrelzipper posted:

Hey thread - how important is weapon damage when leveling? I'm having a bit of a struggle with a lvl 45 BLM quest, and realized that my weapon is like, lvl 26, and am wondering if an upgrade helps or if it's mostly inconsequential at this stage?

Weapon damage is incredibly important at all times. It's the main thing that determines your damage or healing, FFXIV doesn't work on the stat stick model. One point of weapon damage is worth about ten of your main damage stat, or even more of substats.

Always upgrade your weapon first!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

squirrelzipper posted:

Hey thread - how important is weapon damage when leveling?

Weapon/Spell Damage is your most important stat by far, eclipsing every other stat, even at lower levels. It's a good idea to try and keep your weapon as up to date as possible - within at least 5 levels of your current level, if possible.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Begemot posted:

Weapon damage is incredibly important at all times. It's the main thing that determines your damage or healing, FFXIV doesn't work on the stat stick model. One point of weapon damage is worth about ten of your main damage stat, or even more of substats.

Always upgrade your weapon first!

Ah, well thank you both (all!). I will hit the market board when I get home and see if that helps. It's a quest with waves of multiple mobs and I just wasn't burning them down fast enough.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you've been doing your class quests you should be getting a new weapon nearly every one (i.e. every 5 levels) in the ARR quests.
Edit: I'm wrong. Ignore.

Onean fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 26, 2021

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Onean posted:

If you've been doing your class quests you should be getting a new weapon nearly every one (i.e. every 5 levels) in the ARR quests.

Huh weird, I have done all my job quests up to this one and am at the equivalent in the MSQ. I will have to check, I usually just hit "Recommended Gear" after I get something.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Nah, I just double checked and I'm wrong. You get them for the Class levels (1-30), but not for the Job levels.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Onean posted:

Nah, I just double checked and I'm wrong. You get them for the Class levels (1-30), but not for the Job levels.

Yeah but googling some of these quests, I realize I bet I have a bunch of Weapon Coffers hiding in my inventory that I had no idea existed! So, uh, I'm dumb lol. I bet that will help.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Aren't there merchants that sell 'good enough' gear up to about level 40ish? Is that still a thing? Am I remembering wrong?

I'm in that weird spot where I played a bit, but like several years ago so I'm both as out of my element as a newbie and full of questionably aged wisdom.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

For some reason I’m unable to complete a quest just outside the Archer Guild Place in the starting area for archers. Is there anything I need to do?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zurtilik posted:

Aren't there merchants that sell 'good enough' gear up to about level 40ish? Is that still a thing? Am I remembering wrong?

I'm in that weird spot where I played a bit, but like several years ago so I'm both as out of my element as a newbie and full of questionably aged wisdom.

There's armorers in each of the 3 main cities that sell armor up to level 50 and weaponsmiths who sell weapons the same. Didn't used to be, but they consolidated the merchants a while back to make it easier to gear up on the free trial.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Zurtilik posted:

You can buy gear at pretty much every level of the game that will get you through story content. If I want to buy a level 70 lance for my dragoon I can pop over to Kugane and buy one whenever for a pittance of gil.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

squirrelzipper posted:

Without going too far into stupid formula stuff: the basic way FF14's combat math works is that your main stat and your weapon damage are used for separate multipliers that then get applied to ability potency to decide how hard you Fire.

It's a little more complicated in that the base value for the multipliers isn't 0 but something dependent on level and job. For instance for a L45 BLM the exact weapon damage multiplier is 19 + Weapon Damage. Going from a L26 weapon with 33 Magic Damage to a L45 weapon with 50 Magic Damage should therefore be about a 33% damage increase, all other things being equal.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

The man called M posted:

For some reason I’m unable to complete a quest just outside the Archer Guild Place in the starting area for archers. Is there anything I need to do?

what's the name of the quest? why are you unable to complete it? are you able to start the quest, or are you prevented from starting it?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The man called M posted:

If a quest indicator is red with a lock icon on it, that usually indicates one of three things:
  • You're too low level to complete the quest. Check the quest in your Journal and look for the level indicator in the top-left of the quest description to see what the minimum completion level is.
  • You require a specific item to complete the quest that you don't have. These are typically for quests that require something you can obtain outside of the quest's structure, such as items dropped from monsters or purchased from a merchant.
  • You need to be a different class or job. Some quests can only be completed by finishing them as the class/job you started the quest initially as, though these generally happen later on.
I'd try out the first two and see if that helps the issue. If you're still stuck, come back and post the name of the quest and I can either PM you further instructions or get special dispensation to use a spoiler tag if it's something that requires spoilers to help you complete it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

One important question, are you currently an archer? Some quests have class requirements to complete or proceed.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If you ignore the redness of the icon and try to complete it anyway it should tell you why you can't.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The man called M posted:

I bumped into this as a new player too: you have to choose one of the rewards.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

cheetah7071 posted:

I bumped into this as a new player too: you have to choose one of the rewards.
:ughh:Of course!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When I first started this game back in 2.1, both me and my roommate made that exact mistake. I recognized it instantly because the level 10 class quest is the first quest where you have to choose a reward that a newbie will encounter.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How do I materia?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SuperKlaus posted:

How do I materia?

You collect your desired materia and armor pieces you want to meld, and take them to a materia melder and pay a small fee. If you don't have any materia you can collect them as treasure in some dungeons, buy them off the market board or poetics vendor, or extract from great you've spirit bonded 100%.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 26, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

How do I materia?

When you use gear in combat or while crafting/gathering, you develop "Spiritbond" with it. Once you cap out at 100% you can extract a materia from it. Combat gear will give combat materia, crafting gear will give crafting materia, gathering gear will give gathering materia. You can then meld that materia to your gear yourself if you have the appropriate crafting class leveled. You can confirm the melding requirements on the tooltip of the piece of gear you want to meld materia to. If you don't meet the requirements to do it yourself, there's a materia melder who will meld materia for you for a fee, or you can have a friend with the appropriate class leveled do it for you.

Generally speaking, melding materia is not worth doing until you have gear that you're going to be using for a long time, like when you hit 80 and start getting ilvl520+ stuff.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SuperKlaus posted:

How do I materia?

first hit level 80, which is the first time they matter

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SuperKlaus posted:

How do I materia?

You go to a material melder NPC. The map icon is a little hammer that looks extremely similar to the one for menders.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

So as it turns out I had lvl 30, 35 and 40 or so weapon chest reward things in my inventory! So, that was dumb. Still bought a lvl 45 staff of the MB, it was +11 weapon damage over the one in my bags, and the only difference I could see was on delay which I think only affects Auto-Attacks that I never do. Gonna go get revenge on some voidspawn...

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
OK, thank you for fielding my questions. I saw some materia in my inventory from somewhere and thought I'd celebrate my level 50 proper ninja clothes with some modifications.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

squirrelzipper posted:

So as it turns out I had lvl 30, 35 and 40 or so weapon chest reward things in my inventory! So, that was dumb. Still bought a lvl 45 staff of the MB, it was +11 weapon damage over the one in my bags, and the only difference I could see was on delay which I think only affects Auto-Attacks that I never do. Gonna go get revenge on some voidspawn...

Every time you level just mash the little blue dude at the top of the character sheet and it'll equip the best crap you got for your level.
Also don't bother reading the stats of things too hard, they're just numbers that go up, if the ilvl is better just slam that thing into the correct equip slot. (With accessories just make sure it has the right main stats first below Stormblood)

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

squirrelzipper posted:

Ah, well thank you both (all!). I will hit the market board when I get home and see if that helps. It's a quest with waves of multiple mobs and I just wasn't burning them down fast enough.

You may be doing this correctly already but I'll post here anyway since I've see some streamers doing this the hard way.

In the scenario quests with waves of enemies the order you kill things is very important. Basically you want to get incoming damage down quick so you or npcs don't die. Kill anyone casting healing spells first. You'll learn to recognize their naming conventions, weapons and spell effects. Next take out any mages and archers hanging in the back. They are squishy and die fast and they also put out a lot of damage. Then I go for melee or any mech/gimmick enemies. Then finally I'll help take out the named boss along with the swarm of npcs you've freed up by killing everything else.

If everything is grouped up nice use your aoes but in my experience everything ends up spaced out just enough to make this hard and none of your npc buds will aoe.

I've seen multiple streamers go straight for the named boss and leave the "trash" to all the friendly npcs.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

oh no blimp issue posted:

Every time you level just mash the little blue dude at the top of the character sheet and it'll equip the best crap you got for your level.
Also don't bother reading the stats of things too hard, they're just numbers that go up, if the ilvl is better just slam that thing into the correct equip slot. (With accessories just make sure it has the right main stats first below Stormblood)

Thanks, yeah I've been doing that, but weapons come in a cache you have to open first. I wasn't paying attention and doing that bit so even mashing the equip best for was just equipping my lvl 26 weapon.

^^ that's good advice too thanks, they've been murdering the NPC but I think I've got it now.

E; yup sleeping the adds that have silence, new weapon, and paying a bit more attention to who has aggro got the job done ty all!

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 27, 2021

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is there a way to get the Odin gear without doing the trial? The queue for this is like 30 minutes and it seems to completely wreck parties that don't aren't communicating enough to do tank swaps.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You could wait until level 70+ and solo it easily

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

You could wait until level 70+ and solo it easily

Hah, that'll do. I just want the glams so I don't mind waiting if it circumvents all of the frustration.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

If you're in a goon guild or on a server with goons, you might be able to ask for a carry too. Depends on how amenable people are to doing that and if you want that glam right now instead of at 70.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I had no idea the scaling was that crazy - 20 levels is really the difference between 8 people struggling to finish and 1 person soloing it with ease?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I had no idea the scaling was that crazy - 20 levels is really the difference between 8 people struggling to finish and 1 person soloing it with ease?

It's more to do with the gear. If you get to level 70 and pick up whatever the endgame gear was at the time Stormblood was the most recent expansion, you'll massively overpower earlier content. Item level for Urth's Fount is like 90 or something but gear from Stormblood is going to go up to iLvl 400. Get to level 80 and you'll have access to iLvl 500+ stuff.