Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

https://vimeo.com/579528929

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

temple posted:

Ok somebody's backing out swinging.

*gets called out on ignorant poo poo by multiple posters*
*doubles down with an even worse take*
*c/p a definition they don't understand that thinks supports their argument*

Lol, stick to rap opinions friend, seems anything else you post is worthless

Lol :hmmyes:

Anyway, Westside Gunn is dropping TWO more albums this year? https://hypebeast.com/2021/7/westside-gunn-announces-two-new-albums-2021

I thought he said he was retiring after WHO MADE THE SUNSHINE, or did I just completely cross wires

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don't really care about Kanye wearing the maga hat anymore

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Johnny Truant posted:

I thought he said he was retiring after WHO MADE THE SUNSHINE, or did I just completely cross wires

rappers don't retire

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
yeah remember how many times Jay Z has retired

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://twitter.com/ItsDanSheehan/status/1419546159874412544?s=20

Thoughts? I like this thread because of the relative variety of opinions and tastes. I think it’s a good challenge to our status quo of perception of mental health. I don’t think anyone can look at Kanye in the past 5-6 years and say he’s been OK.

I know there are some factors in play like Kanye’s relative “normalcy” for so long, even though there are events going back to 09 that could be pointed to as a guy who’s going through it.

Also, his mental health “events” are used publicly and sometimes promoted. One of Britney’s most famous “freak outs” is her shaving her head and attacking a paparazzi’s car w/ an umbrella.

That’s a very different kind of event than “spending $$$ to sleep and eat in a stadium while it’s still being used normally.”

Another aspect: being forced into treatment vs actively avoiding treatment. Britney’s situation is 100x more sympathetic to the regular person who isn’t up on everything. “Her father has kept her in a conservatorship for 15 years, and she isn’t allowed children or social media” vs “Kanye gets to do whatever he wants.”

Even when writing this, it’s hard not to think of Kanye as an rear end in a top hat. But they’re both tragic situations. He should get to chill, be happy, and be a good dad to his kids. Not be some weirdo has-been in the mountains of Wyoming, because no one could help him.

Here’s the thing: Britney was the result of misogyny and an obsession with controlling women. She “went crazy” because the paparazzi never left her alone, she LITERALLY couldn’t take a poo poo without cameras in her face. Her holding her baby in a vehicle because she was scared was turned into “Britney is a bad mom” - her drunk with friends in a car was “Britney is bad! Look” - it was extremely misogynistic and bad. She shaved her head because she wanted to strip away from being Britney. To this day in the conservatorship - Britney is trying to distance from her family , she has no friends, will have major trust issues and will face the same misogyny when she gets “free” - she is already facing major criticism because she went topless on her Instagram page recently (completely covered mind you) - like she owes nobody anything, she doesn’t need to apologize for being herself and sharing whatever the gently caress she wants to share.

Now Kanye? Completely different. Bipolar or not, he’s attacked Wiz Khalifa, saying he owns his son, he’s compared himself to Jesus and not ironically, he went on a tirade about a guy in a wheelchair at a show, bashes Beyoncé and jay z , supports Trump - which fine, anyone is allowed to believe or be in whatever party they want to but then he went out of the way to criticize Harriet Tubman, met with Trump, said racist things, breaks down talking about abortion, claimed Bill Cosby was innocent, defended R Kelly, said slavery was a choice, wore a MAGA hat, and so much more. I can acknowledge a lot of these things came from manic episodes but it doesn’t excuse it either - like Britney never went out of her way to be a narcissistic rear end in a top hat, she was ALWAYS in her own lane.

I WANT to like Kanye but GODDAMN. Enough is enough.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I guess if I HAD to pick a favorite republican christian rapper it’d be kanye

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Crumbletron posted:

rappers don't retire

The REAL Goobusters posted:

yeah remember how many times Jay Z has retired

yeah good points, ha

I googled it and I missed his announcement back in fuckin January saying he wasn't retiring, so I'm just a dingus. gently caress yeah for more flygod, though

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

somnambulist posted:

Here’s the thing: Britney was the result of misogyny and an obsession with controlling women. She “went crazy” because the paparazzi never left her alone, she LITERALLY couldn’t take a poo poo without cameras in her face. Her holding her baby in a vehicle because she was scared was turned into “Britney is a bad mom” - her drunk with friends in a car was “Britney is bad! Look” - it was extremely misogynistic and bad. She shaved her head because she wanted to strip away from being Britney. To this day in the conservatorship - Britney is trying to distance from her family , she has no friends, will have major trust issues and will face the same misogyny when she gets “free” - she is already facing major criticism because she went topless on her Instagram page recently (completely covered mind you) - like she owes nobody anything, she doesn’t need to apologize for being herself and sharing whatever the gently caress she wants to share.

Now Kanye? Completely different. Bipolar or not, he’s attacked Wiz Khalifa, saying he owns his son, he’s compared himself to Jesus and not ironically, he went on a tirade about a guy in a wheelchair at a show, bashes Beyoncé and jay z , supports Trump - which fine, anyone is allowed to believe or be in whatever party they want to but then he went out of the way to criticize Harriet Tubman, met with Trump, said racist things, breaks down talking about abortion, claimed Bill Cosby was innocent, defended R Kelly, said slavery was a choice, wore a MAGA hat, and so much more. I can acknowledge a lot of these things came from manic episodes but it doesn’t excuse it either - like Britney never went out of her way to be a narcissistic rear end in a top hat, she was ALWAYS in her own lane.

I WANT to like Kanye but GODDAMN. Enough is enough.

Ratio

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
enough of this back to Outkast. This one has the verses and the hot brass on the beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXmqauitBkM

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
NPR Tiny Desk, please continue to protect this thread from Kanye Chat

https://twitter.com/youngthug/status/1419801492593291265?s=20

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
gently caress yes.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Da Baby said some dumb poo poo

https://consequence.net/2021/07/dababy-hateful-speech-rolling-loud-miami/

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Good Dog posted:

NPR Tiny Desk, please continue to protect this thread from Kanye Chat

https://twitter.com/youngthug/status/1419801492593291265?s=20
Just what i needed :pray:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Kanye is the only celebrity I’ve met and it was kinda cool. I was at a big beer conference with my old boss and during a small after hours gathering one of his handlers or whatever asked one of the big corporate dickheads hosting the party if Kanye could join. He’d pay for the evening on the condition no one give him any poo poo about being Kanye.

He showed up like an hour later with a bunch of expensive champagne and introduced himself. He was super friendly and fun and I’ve felt awful for him ever since. I legit think he was lonely and just wanted to hang out with some regular people lol

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:dogbutton:

Holy gently caress that is worse than I thought

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Bad stuff of course but lol at this guy being deeply disturbed at him dumping apple juice on someone

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

The Young Thug Tiny Desk set looks like a lot of fun. Will be a nice treat as lunch.

I'm sure these have been posted before but these old Juicy J tapes own lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jfstYSJagc

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

That's even worse than when he said "Wave your hands in the air, wave 'em like you just don't care about trans rights"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
new zelooperz good

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAROJPnd_s8

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeeeeessss

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GOAT

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

this album is going to be the greatest creation of all mankind

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thugger, continuing the trajectory of weezy with a rock album.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this video is both the most interesting thing I've seen Thug do in a few years, while also being incredibly generic, a true paradox. would have taken another 20 minutes of live performance but also if this is what the record sounds like it's gonna suck lol

mostly come to terms with there never being another good Young Thug album but I still love his voice more than so many other dudes out there, just want him to do more collabs and poo poo as he moves into being, at this point, an elder statesman

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
i kind of agree; i didn't really like the songs they picked for it either. i don't skip new thugger material but the golden era of rich gang/SS2/B6/SS3/I'm Up!! etc is the thugger i like most and the songs in the Tiny Desk kind of lack his usual energy. It's not that he's doing stripped down poo poo because he's done that before and I've enjoyed it. Just can't quite put my finger on it.

still cool to see thug on there tho!!

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Mickolution posted:

The point of the tweet is that people (rightfully) now see that Britney Spears was treated awfully by people around her and the media/public while going through mental health problems and there is a lot of sympathy for her these days. On the other hand, if Kanye does something that could be related to his mental illness, it's just "wacky old Kanye looking for attention." At least that's how I read the tweet.

Unless I took what you were saying wrong, it read like "He's able to live his life and record albums, therefore he can't be mentally ill." If that's not what you said/meant, I apologise.

The tweet/conversation is nothing to do with his musical output. For years, Kanye has been talking about his mental health problems, yet he seems to get very little sympathy for this from the media/public. Much like Britney Spears did at the time.

Personally, I have a hard time feeling sorry for a guy who has had wild success even with suffering from mental health issues, while I have to work with indigent people who probably will never get the treatment they need or deserve.

Kanye has the means to get whatever treatment he needs and chooses not to do so. No one is going to force a billionaire who is essentially very high functioning into any sort of treatment - especially when all he is doing at the end of the day "wrong" tweeting crazy poo poo and putting out trash albums. He and Britney's situations are straight-up not the same and while Kanye is incredible for accomplishing what he has in the face of what seems to be very serious mental health struggles, I cannot find a reason to be sympathetic to his situation. If anything he needs LESS attention, less spotlight and more privacy to deal with his personal demons.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 27, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://liluglymane.bandcamp.com/album/headboard?from=fanpub_fb

New track from LUM :eyepop:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

This is… fine, but the style is disappointing to me. I’ll just listen the the three sides tapes again

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The vibes are chill as gently caress even if none of the songs super stick out yet. Digging him building on Beautiful Thugger Girls. It may not be slime season but im a fan

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly Droppin Jewels is awesome, lovin it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I didnt immediately feel So Much Fun (tho it super grew on me) but im immediately having fun with Punk. It's weird and goofy but as a weird thugger fan who really liked Pacifier, Me or Us, Daddy's Birthday, etc i appreciate having this kinda thugger album come out at least once

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Semi sober pop punk young thug is a hilarious stage
Honestly i said stuff wasnt standing out but im feelin Droppin Jewels, Hate the Game, Tick Tock, at least if the album sounds about like this

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
drat Kanye full moved in now

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR2iSqsI8zx

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

lol wtf

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
the goat

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

i have so many questions about what lead to this

did he think it was cool? is there something about the ambiance of the stadium that makes him feel more productive? did he see someone make a joke about moving into the stadium until it was done and think "ok but what if i did it as a bit"??

like i get that hes divorced and whatever but just go live in a fancy hotel for a few months or something jeez

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I figured he moved all his production stuff there and doesn’t wanna leave until the album’s done but like aren’t there so many studios nearby he could go to???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lil Nas X’s entire first studio album leaked in CDQ online