Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Why are you like this?!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

we rejected Hamiltonposting, this is the price we have to pay

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is true btw. I've got friends in the 21-25 year-old age bracket who explicitly refuse to learn poo poo about The Simpsons other than what I show them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So what is their light entertainment of choice that they can endlessly reference?

Are they free of such a memetic hold?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

goatface posted:

So what is their light entertainment of choice that they can endlessly reference?

Are they free of such a memetic hold?
Based on some friends that are in their mid-20s: tiktok memes

But they don't last very long either

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I think if you were raised after broadband/streaming video took off you've been hypersaturated in meme culture your entire life. There are relatively few shared singular grooves like The Simpsons, and those that exist are still relatively niche due to the much wider spectrum of media available-- iCarly, old YouTube Minecraft content, stuff like that.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Sponge Bob Squarepants seems to the the younger generation’s equivalent to The Simpsons.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mind the walrus posted:

This is true btw. I've got friends in the 21-25 year-old age bracket who explicitly refuse to learn poo poo about The Simpsons other than what I show them.

The gently caress would they want to learn anything about a show that stopped being good when they were -2~3? I'm sure its great but you don't see me caring about Taxi.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The gently caress would they want to learn anything about a show that stopped being good when they were -2~3? I'm sure its great but you don't see me caring about Taxi.
Same reason I didn't watch MASH until I was over 25, just saying there's some Millennials out there still in denial because "It'll happen to you" never actually sank in.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I appreciate the Haschel Cedricson Ray Jay posts because if I see that they posted I can immediately scroll down to something else.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Funny thing to say when the hottest tv show on tumblr is Columbo

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

flavor.flv posted:

Funny thing to say when the hottest tv show on tumblr is Columbo

Columbo is solid, man.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Columbo is solid, man.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Haschel Cedricson makes me feel the way prions make me feel. Fascinated, but also existentially terrified.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Excelzior posted:

we rejected Hamiltonposting, this is the price we have to pay

Still better than Hamiltonposting.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

flavor.flv posted:

I was looking for a scene to make a meme but Google did something funnier than what I was going to

Badger my rear end, they’re probably Milhouse

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Old Swerdlow posted:

Sponge Bob Squarepants seems to the the younger generation’s equivalent to The Simpsons.

this is appropriate because it has also gone on so long now that there are more bad seasons than good

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lifespan posted:

"Gimme a Grandpa image macro" we would say.

If you only had one line to say, you would put that down. But it made the bottom look weird, so you would write " bottom text" instead, as was the style at the time.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Taxi was legit great. I used to watch reruns as a teenager, whenever I could catch them.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

christ lol

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The content I crave

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

:allears:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Excelzior posted:

African; Stampy had extremely large ears

Makes sense, African elephants (the surviving ones anyhow, thanks Carthage and/or Rome) are notoriously untameable.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Old Swerdlow posted:

It's even got an embittered fanbase who complain about the drop in quality over the years.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Taxi was legit great. I used to watch reruns as a teenager, whenever I could catch them.

Sorry, old things can't possibly be good or interesting. Moose out front should have told you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
This is a bit of a reach even by this thread's standards, but I just can't stop laughing at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVexZbm2BIg

Explanation for non-UK goons, or those fortunate few UK goons whose brains haven't been poisoned by The Discourse: Lawrence Fox is an actor from a pretty distinguished theatrical and showbiz family (his uncle is Edward Fox), who was previously married to Bille Piper (Rose from Doctor Who and almost stupendously out of his league) and since the divorce has become a loving terrible singer-songwriter and the most divorced man on earth. Obviously it's the woke marxist BLM mafia that is responsible for his amazing musical talents not being recognised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLkvtHwSyM4

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Elissimpark posted:

Haschel Cedricson makes me feel the way prions make me feel. Fascinated, but also existentially terrified.

Oh hey, thanks for reminding me about prions. I remembered how they don't decay, they just sit there. So you can have a ground area injected with prions in the dirt, and there is no way of dealing with that short of sealing the dirt into containers.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I used to watch a poo poo ton of Nick-At-Night when I was younger. I mean, there was no cartoon network, Satellite dishes were still those giant clunky things. So, not alot of options.

Dick Van Dyke Show, Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart show. Mr. Ed. Johnny Carson

....gently caress I was a weird kid.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
loving hell, this thread... It's a private language we speak, it's a way some of us first heard about major world events, and now it's made me legitimately face mortality in a clear way. The dying native language analogy combined with how disconnected I feel with the previous generations' versions of simpsons really hit home

:psyboom:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I would be VERY suspicious of any modern teen who has more than a basic knowledge of the Simpsons, they need to be better socialized

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I imagine it's what my mom felt like when she would reference The Flintstones. I never got it, and once it was explained, it still wasn't funny. The Simpsons is no longer "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The fundamental joke of the Flintstones is that the caveman is the only sitcom husband who wouldn't beat his wife

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

How dare you insult Gomez Addams like that

Herman Munster I don't know about

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
When Gomez hits Morticia it’s entirely consensual. And usually the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here's an obscure one for all of you