Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

bad carls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

good carl

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The Protagonist posted:

*presents my real big T to the local apex ape species hive cluster*

*hive cluster continues buzzing discordantly*

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Objurium posted:

y'all mfs like birds??

https://i.imgur.com/GfxKU1K.mp4

The amount of objects in the sky through NODS outside Las Cruces NM is pretty wild. Satellites, planes, a ton of meteors and a huge lightning storm over the horizon. A few weirder things in the sky too but honestly the saturation level is just loving dizzying.

How much do these run

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Vernii posted:

Bearing Light

Short story by Paul Burgess that's set in an alternate timeline where the Soviets conquered most of the world and the US figures out how to use projection to explore the galaxy. It's all a bunch of horrifying eldritch implications piling up on each other in a dystopic setting that deserves nothing short of atomic cleansing.

really enjoyed the occult ceremony and gnosis superimposed on the usual sci fi trappings. some very affecting imagery in there.

anyone have suggestions for more?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

hmmm I wonder what UAPTheory, alleged astrophysicist and author of a hypothesis that allows the five UAP observables within the framework of existing physics, is up to these days

https://mobile.twitter.com/UAPTheory/status/1419307224091045890

oh

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

sounds like the birds got to em

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the psychic personality of the disease in pathologic 2 was a lot better written

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Fairies were weird little non-human creatures that would kidnap or replace people.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

higher beings of love and light: lol sorry bitch grandma had to die to teach you to drive less

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Rah! posted:

yeah that was interesting

I may be remembering wrong, but I think the most credible article i've seen on the alleged recovered alien material is still the 2017 NY times article lol. I can't remember if it was from that 4bidden zone interview, or a different one, where the host mentioned (maybe around the same time he was asking about recovered ships?) that no one has talked about the alleged alien alloys or whatever since that article.

What I want to know about possible crashes of "crafts" is: If whoever sent them, or are in them, why the high crash rate? If they can control an exotic propulsion system, avoiding things should be easy. If these vehicles have beings in them, I would expect them not to send a bunch of them to their death to explore. (Again, this is assuming a Roswell style events happen) We figured out to send probes. I would think that is what they would send also. If things are be believed, what, the world has at least 10-20 craft over the past 80 years. Our world wide airliner safety of today is almost better than that. The dissonance of that kinda gets to me, with the idea of recovered craft. I would find it easier to believe we recovered material that was left here, or that a "Roadside Picnic" style event happened here recently, or one happened far in the past, and was discovered.

I Miss Snausages has issued a correction as of 01:04 on Jul 27, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

can't believe that q shaman rebranded as covid shaman

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Toupee Groupie posted:

What I want to know about possible crashes of "crafts" is: If whoever sent them, or are in them, why the high crash rate? If they can control an exotic propulsion system, avoiding things should be easy. If these vehicles have beings in them, I would expect them not to send a bunch of them to their death to explore. (Again, this is assuming a Roswell style events happen) We figured out to send probes. I would think that is what they would send also. If things are be believed, what, the world has at least 10-20 craft over the past 80 years. Our world wide airliner safety of today is almost better than that. The dissonance of that kinda gets to me, with the idea of recovered craft. I would find it easier to believe we recovered material that was left here, or that a "Stalker the Movie" style event happened here recently, or one happened far in the past, and was discovered.

it’s because earth is at the end of their operable range, and many of them are stranded after taking a wrong left on the spacelanes.

they tried picking some vehicles up to siphon fuel, but it seems that their fuel cavity is always empty??

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Toupee Groupie posted:

What I want to know about possible crashes of "crafts" is: If whoever sent them, or are in them, why the high crash rate? If they can control an exotic propulsion system, avoiding things should be easy. If these vehicles have beings in them, I would expect them not to send a bunch of them to their death to explore. (Again, this is assuming a Roswell style events happen) We figured out to send probes. I would think that is what they would send also. If things are be believed, what, the world has at least 10-20 craft over the past 80 years. Our world wide airliner safety of today is almost better than that. The dissonance of that kinda gets to me, with the idea of recovered craft. I would find it easier to believe we recovered material that was left here, or that a "Stalker the Movie" style event happened here recently, or one happened far in the past, and was discovered.

There's a few ways to look at this, even if you start from the assumption that there are a high number of crashes (an assumption I'm not willing to make. We have evidence poo poo's in the skies; the thread has seen all the videos. Our evidence poo poo's on the ground is "some guys said so. no you can't see the alien alloys." not that i'm bitter or anything.)

First, you said airliner safety, but we have no idea what these things are. They could be anything from millennia old von Neuman probe systems to alien government research craft to drunk alien dentists in their space cessnas buzzing the funny apes. If it's the latter, the real surprise is that we haven't seen more crashes. Even assuming some level of professionalism (for lack of a better term) there's still plenty of military and drone crashes; it's not out of possibility that the aliens accept some risks with these systems to achieve their goals. More advanced technology is not a guarantee that something is more reliable. if anything, it tends to be the latter, at least until maintenance skills and knowledge catch up.

The other, possibly more fun, way to look at this is to take another of the question from the Lue interview that started this discussion.

"Okay, so if you can't talk about crashes, what about ships given to us?"

"I can't talk about that."

"What about "crashes" left for us to find?"

Log082 has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Jul 27, 2021

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
ancient derelicts at the end of their natural lifespan, unexpected successful interdictions by local stinging metal birds, deliberate seeding or 'one-shot' fire and forget probes, actual discarded garbage, or something more inscrutable and any/all of the above could explain recovered materials of various kinds

or idk its bullshit too i guess maybe

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

The real reason disclosure's taken so long is that we have relics from roughly 250 different alien species vying for our attention and we've only whittled that number down to 100 after 80 years of very stupid deliberations

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

WEH posted:

The real reason disclosure's taken so long is that we have relics from roughly 250 different alien species vying for our attention and we've only whittled that number down to 100 after 80 years of very stupid deliberations

the government has been keeping UFOs secret for so long that they are too embarrassed and afraid to disclose the truth

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

they just want to hide the astral pearl that lets you make a spiritual phone call to zeta reticulon's biggest pervert

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Wheeee posted:

hmmm I wonder what UAPTheory, alleged astrophysicist and author of a hypothesis that allows the five UAP observables within the framework of existing physics, is up to these days

https://mobile.twitter.com/UAPTheory/status/1419307224091045890

oh
https://twitter.com/UAPTheory/status/1419307521454522368
https://twitter.com/UAPTheory/status/1419308715614875652

:yeah:

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Jazerus posted:

they just want to hide the astral pearl that lets you make a spiritual phone call to zeta reticulon's biggest pervert

No need to doxx op

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Log082 posted:

There's a few ways to look at this, even if you start from the assumption that there are a high number of crashes (an assumption I'm not willing to make. We have evidence poo poo's in the skies; the thread has seen all the videos. Our evidence poo poo's on the ground is "some guys said so. no you can't see the alien alloys." not that i'm bitter or anything.)

First, you said airliner safety, but we have no idea what these things are. They could be anything from millennia old von Neuman probe systems to alien government research craft to drunk alien dentists in their space cessnas buzzing the funny apes. If it's the latter, the real surprise is that we haven't seen more crashes. Even assuming some level of professionalism (for lack of a better term) there's still plenty of military and drone crashes; it's not out of possibility that the aliens accept some risks with these systems to achieve their goals. More advanced technology is not a guarantee that something is more reliable. if anything, it tends to be the latter, at least until maintenance skills and knowledge catch up.

The other, possibly more fun, way to look at this is to take another of the question from the Lue interview that started this discussion.

"Okay, so if you can't talk about crashes, what about ships given to us?"

"What about "crashes" left for us to find?"

If craft were given to us, that is a whole other bunch of bananas. I personally don't think we have 10+ craft from crashes, but was using numbers some people do throw around. I don't know if it is a small comfort that maybe the US were given craft. To me that would mean whoever gave them to us chose to share, but only with a deeply bureaucratic nation(s) that can hide things. Using Star Trek as a bureaucratic model of what may be happening by sharing things sends chills up my spine, because it could allow very evil things to happen in the name of bureaucracy, and possibly that they are no better than us morally.

LOL. We made a deal with the Devil and how have no way out. That is why everything is going to be focused from 2004 on, and try to sweep the horrid things we allowed them to do to us in the name of winning the Cold War.

CAPITALISM..... IN...... SPACE!!!!!!

Not to rant, but if there is any cooperation, abduction doesn't make sense. MKULTRA happened, Henrietta Lacks happened. It would have been so easy for the government to use the Cold War with nuclear testing inside and outside the military to get any tissue sample they want. Same with any kind of military physical that went on during and after the draft. Hell, give them a copy of 23 and me samples and they will have almost anything that they need for sample population. I know I wrote about something weird that happened to me with lights and the pipes in the house shaking that no one could explain, that doesn't mean I think I was gonna be abducted. Unless what happened whoever would agree to a treaty was under the gun of a full on unstoppable invasion would the collection of human flesh or genetics need to directly involve abduction,1940s technology allowed to get sample cells of anything that was wanted without undue harm or pain to an individual. It paints a pretty dark picture of abduction is tacitly approved by any government.

I Miss Snausages has issued a correction as of 02:55 on Jul 27, 2021

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The idea that aliens are out there, but that they are as lovely as we only with better tools is genuinely scary

Like forget all the lovecraftian horrors that usually get the attention, that incomprehensible evil is almost a comforting thought in the face of another boot crushing our spirit from beyond the stars

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

if aliens are real, do I still have to go to work tomorrow?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Egg Moron posted:

if aliens are real, do I still have to go to work tomorrow?

yeah all that'll change is that your boss's boss's boss's boss's boss is an alien now. from your perspective it'll be just like if the company was acquired by a private equity company

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah all that'll change is that your boss's boss's boss's boss's boss is an alien now. from your perspective it'll be just like if the company was acquired by a private equity company

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

blatman posted:

sagans wife drew the nudes we sent into space on pioneer 10

Lynn Margulis was also a renowned evolutionary biologist that developed the theory of endosymbiosis for the origin of the eukaryotic cell.

e. different wife lol dude had a history

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

she's also a total crank on every topic except for endosymbiotic eukaryogenesis lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

ancient derelicts at the end of their natural lifespan, unexpected successful interdictions by local stinging metal birds, deliberate seeding or 'one-shot' fire and forget probes, actual discarded garbage, or something more inscrutable and any/all of the above could explain recovered materials of various kinds

or idk its bullshit too i guess maybe

Inter UAP warfare

Earth based war toys might get lucky I guess

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Jazerus posted:

she's also a total crank on every topic except for endosymbiotic eukaryogenesis lol

I have a few of her "other books" and, uh, yeah haven't cracked them

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Confirmation bias is a hell of a drug

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Inter UAP warfare

Earth based war toys might get lucky I guess

I've always loved the idea - which is not the same as thinking it's necessarily true - that there's an entire ecosystem of von Neuman probes out there, slotting into different niches and preying on each other in a giant, mechanical food chain for resources to build more of themselves.

Now that I think about it, that'd be a great concept for a sci fi story; manned exploration craft having to navigate the extraterrestrial robotic ecosystem, learning how each probe type behaves and how to deal with them. Modern day whalers going after certain probe types with high value components/resources, fleeing from those too dangerous to handle, and so on.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Log082 posted:

I've always loved the idea - which is not the same as thinking it's necessarily true - that there's an entire ecosystem of von Neuman probes out there, slotting into different niches and preying on each other in a giant, mechanical food chain for resources to build more of themselves.

Now that I think about it, that'd be a great concept for a sci fi story; manned exploration craft having to navigate the extraterrestrial robotic ecosystem, learning how each probe type behaves and how to deal with them. Modern day whalers going after certain probe types with high value components/resources, fleeing from those too dangerous to handle, and so on.

Hast thou seen the white tictac?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

I have a few of her "other books" and, uh, yeah haven't cracked them

just did a little light reading on this and lmao drat

Gaia hypothesis is cool as an abstract concept but sadly harmful in the face of anthropic climate devastation, and ardently defending the five kingdom classification system is just weird?? and then HIV/AIDS denials oof

totally correct about 9/11 tho

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

inter-UAP combat would be a better movie than alien vs predator was

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

inter-UAP combat would be a better movie than alien vs predator was

it's called stargate sg1 and it is phenomenal

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

They don't have crashed ships just "materials", which is the dripping metal seen in videos and reported by witnesses.

We have poo poo. Actual poo poo. Probe poo-poo.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Pooky posted:

They don't have crashed ships just "materials", which is the dripping metal seen in videos and reported by witnesses.

We have poo poo. Actual poo poo. Probe poo-poo.

that poop is laced with nanobots

it's trojan poop

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdVOwNyomw4

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

that poop is laced with nanobots

it's trojan poop

robot germs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Log082 posted:

Hell yeah! This reminds me of Master of Orion 1 when, at the very beginning of the game, your scouts can encounter other alien civ scouts while exploring unknown star systems. Usually you both just look at each and leave but sometimes a probe will be armed with a lil pewpew laser and they are suddenly the aphex predator of the exploration probe ecosystem.