Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

mfcrocker posted:

On the flip side to this, I'll often stick to hitting creeps if my lane partner is taking a dumb-poo poo fight that will lead to them getting killed and would lead to me getting killed if I joined in

I feel like I'm having to learn this the hard way as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

looking at that popularity poll, didn't know who Dragapult was and just lol at that design. literally a loving stealth bomber head with a ghost body, what in the gently caress.

Need to get Nidoking, Darminitan, Crobat, or Magmar in this

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

add farfetch'd because we need another funny bird

my real suggestion? wailord, full size

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i want garbodor. gimme the trash boy

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Wailord is scaled down normally but his Unite move is just him getting bigger and bigger until he dams up a whole lane.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Shammypants posted:

This game really needed a lot more playtesting by competent people. Got characters who can 1v5 easily and guys whose abilities are rear end. It’s a mess.

Cinderace’s auto attack does 7k dps at level 15. The others seem to average out around 1.6k with abilities…
I haven’t checked to see if there is a certain level that it scales too aggressively but it’s pretty insane.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Zurtilik posted:

I feel like I'm having to learn this the hard way as well.

If it's the first couple of minutes and the fight is on their goal? It's probably a dumbshit fight.

There's a few mons who can hack it that early but mostly I play stuff that's totally useless til at least L5

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So like, is there an actual descion to be made about whether to go top lane or bottom? Is it just whether youre better at fighting rotom or drednaw or is there some like strategy i lm not seeing

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mandatory lesbian posted:

So like, is there an actual descion to be made about whether to go top lane or bottom? Is it just whether youre better at fighting rotom or drednaw or is there some like strategy i lm not seeing

I'm not quite sure, I've just been doing whatever the game suggests in Battle Prep

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Bottom lane has more exp because of Audinos so you usually want to send your all-rounder there if they aren't in the jungle.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Endorph posted:

actually they should add gyarados just because i presume it would spend the first 3 minutes of every game desperately trying to farm the jungle as magikarp, and any attempt to actually play the game would lead to it being instantly deleted

This is what playing Spectre in DotA 2 feels like already, so there's precedent.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Bot lane has more creeps, top lane is shorter (ie with the dunk stack items you can get two quicker dunks since its closer to your base ).

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cyks posted:

Cinderace’s auto attack does 7k dps at level 15. The others seem to average out around 1.6k with abilities…
I haven’t checked to see if there is a certain level that it scales too aggressively but it’s pretty insane.

Cinderace is the best character in the game by a massive margin, only followed by Gengar because of his dumb Hex stuff

There's a funny test I was trying out the other day, and it was to see who could solo Electrode before they exploded in the Shivre City quickmatch. Sure enough, it's only Cinderace and Gengar

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What item does the final day of the beginner challenge get you? I'm a couple days behind.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

ninetails loving sucks which sucks because I really like ninetails

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

drat, Abra is a creep in quick battle... hope this doesn't ruin Alakazam's chance of getting in as a playable character

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Squirtle is a creep and player the the tutorials. I think Abra is safe.

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

two back to back games with completely opposite zapdos results, those point flatlines on either side lol

i can't believe how much fun i'm having with this and how i'm never getting mad at it after playing ranked for a few days, i think it literally is almost completely the 10 minute timer. aside from the crazy broken zapdos swings they did a really good job of fitting the whole ramping up gameplay "story" of a moba into a relatively short timespan. evolution power spikes and learning moves fit really well and intuitively into the genre too. its a shame its attached to mobile game monetization garbage but i'm honestly having a fantastic time with it with almost no caveats

also the two birds are both really good and fun. cramorant gang

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

This game owns and is fun. I keep only playing Charizard and going bottom lane. Should I do another lane? Am I infuriating all of the five year olds I'm playing with? I think I've won all but two games so far. Only the past 5 have been ranked though

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

BallisticClipboard posted:

ninetails loving sucks which sucks because I really like ninetails

Just play like a coward and its not too bad. It's a long ranged slow Pokemon that works really well in a death ball roaming the map.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Gengar and Zeroara are way too strong, and Absol hits like a loving truck if you aren't paying attention. Other than that, the game is pretty fun

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Phenotype posted:

What item does the final day of the beginner challenge get you? I'm a couple days behind.

Assault Vest

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
As a HOTS refugee, I was kinda enjoying myself, but I really am concerned about the item enhancement mechanic as P2W. The other monetization I can kinda ignore, whatever, but that's a way that Player 1 Walletman can come into the game mechanically better than Player 2, Poor. Also the controls kinda feel like poo poo and even the advanced AAs kinda stink.

anyway i have lost one match total when i play machamp, as soon as I get the Eject Button equip it's fuckin over for these 6 years old.

Also it's really annoying that you don't share bush-vision or whatever the gently caress the term is. Isn't that universal in other games?

Bogart fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 27, 2021

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Bogart posted:

As a HOTS refugee, I was kinda enjoying myself, but I really am concerned about the item enhancement mechanic as P2W. The other monetization I can kinda ignore, whatever, but that's a way that Player 1 Walletman can come into the game mechanically better than Player 2, Poor.

People ran numbers on the items and the difference between lv 20 and lv 30 of an item is almost negligible, which is good to know especially since 20 is pretty easy to get to while 30 takes forever without money

Also iirc for example the cookie that gives you more max hp? At max level it gives you like 200hp, which is less than a Ninetails auto attack

so while it is kinda annoying that the levels are even there to begin with, it doesn't seem like having everything maxxed out (or even leveled all that much) is at all necessary

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Phenotype posted:

Are there any really popular ones I'm missing?

Litten
Popplio

They are popular in my head.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Crustle rules, I like going stealth rock and rock tomb to lock folks into my death cage. I have only played as Eldegoss and Crustle so far since everyone else is going with DPS it seems. As long as my team is somewhat competent I can usually support them and carry to victory. Also a bad crustle is extremely hilarious.

Crustle is basically just Anivia from League, it's great.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Crustle is basically just Anivia from League, it's great.

I played the Stealth Rock X-Scissor build my first time and I was like "I've got a stunning punch and a little aoe slow? I'm like Tusk from Dota!" and that was before I realized he literally has Ice Shards

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://twitter.com/PokemonUnite/status/1420006060245622787

Hype.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

That was given on Day 6 -- I was asking about Day 7, but it looks like the rewards are just the Crustle license and some item enhancers. (Did we know that in advance? I assumed there would be another item attached to one of the missions like all the other days.)

So now that I'm not paralyzed by not knowing which items I get for free, I can move on to my regular ol decision paralysis. Are you guys buying items with gold or tickets? And should I get everything up to level 10 before I try going any higher? I think the advice I've seen is to pick a main and boost the items they want, but I'm really lovely at that. I want to play all the Pokemon and have items for all of them, so every level I put into, say, Scope Lens, seems like a decision never to play Gengar or Ninetails again.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
For what it's worth, someone on Reddit posted a screenshot of the game refunding you the coins if you later receive a duplicate - except it was for a Unite license, so I'm not sure how it works for items. I'm in the same camp, holding off until I get them for free.

Also seconding the idea that it's hard to get mad at this game with the excellent game length even in ranked. I quit league a long time ago after being convinced with was some MK Ultra scheme designed by the CIA to destroy your ego and happiness over 45 minutes, so it's nice to throw a game in Unite because of bad teammates and go "ah whatever"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Zodack posted:

For what it's worth, someone on Reddit posted a screenshot of the game refunding you the coins if you later receive a duplicate - except it was for a Unite license, so I'm not sure how it works for items. I'm in the same camp, holding off until I get them for free.

Also seconding the idea that it's hard to get mad at this game with the excellent game length even in ranked. I quit league a long time ago after being convinced with was some MK Ultra scheme designed by the CIA to destroy your ego and happiness over 45 minutes, so it's nice to throw a game in Unite because of bad teammates and go "ah whatever"

You don't get refunded on items, just Pokemon licenses. For duplicate items you get item enhancers instead -- I forget if it was 30 or 40 but it was definitely less than you'd have if you'd used your tickets on item enhancers in the first place.

I'll second the appreciation for the game length. MOBAs in general kinda turn me off with their games that can last 45 minutes or more. I love League of Legends in theory, but in practice it's kinda hard to get myself to start a game sometimes, because while it's super fun when I'm doing well, there's always a risk I get stomped in lane or my team starts hard feeding and then I'm tied to a frustrating game indefinitely.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

For anyone else who plays Gengar, how long do you stay in the jungle? I typically stay in at least until I evolve to Haunter, but I wonder if maybe I should stay in until I get my full Hex combo up

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I really need to learn to prejudge my battles before I keep getting my self killed. I also need to keep an eye on my teammates in lane with me so I stop thinking they'll follow me into a fight instead of wandering off somewhere.

I'm still bad at mobas

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

i realized you can use eject button while using cramorant's ult without interrupting it to chase people and actually got a kill off of it lol

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
"you don't understand, I'm ejecting into combat"

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Because of the current state of the game and everyone stockpiling as much offense as they can into a team, I think some Pokemon that are otherwise good are being crowded out of most matches in terms of competitive viability; like I feel like Garchomp is good, but if you just gank them a couple times and set back their XP gain, they won't become Garchomp until it's time to Zapdos and the other team is way crazy ahead. If you can get to Garchomp before then, they're a slaughterbeast who 1v5s teams and junk, so I guess that's a fair trade.

Greninja is the character who I think needs only a slight boost up to be pretty viable. Smokescreen is good, and their passive is fun to manipulative with Shell Bell and knowing when to Surf and when to chill out, and I like their "I'm melee and ranged[" gimmick, but it takes just a shade too long to get fully online when every team is Cinderace, Eldegoss, Gengar or Zeraora, and two other bursty attackers du jour. If slower team comps exert more influence on the game's (super early!) meta anytime soon, I can see Greninja becoming much more pickable.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 27, 2021

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
At some point I'm gonna become the rear end in a top hat who slamdunks an attacker/speedster pick and never back down, because otherwise I'll never get to play that role.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

World Famous W posted:

I really need to learn to prejudge my battles before I keep getting my self killed. I also need to keep an eye on my teammates in lane with me so I stop thinking they'll follow me into a fight instead of wandering off somewhere.

I'm still bad at mobas

Yep, I watched a youtube video by a League of Legends Challenger about how Gengar was insanely broken, but it turns out that's only true if you've got the game sense of a Challenger-level MOBA player (or at least better game sense than me!) I hit my Sludge Bomb and mash Hex and still somehow get outjuked by the Lucario, or jump into a teamfight and get blown up before I can Hex again.

I hate to say it but I think my favorite champ is Charizard at the moment. I get better results with Eldegoss and Ninetails and Gengar, but there's something that's really satisfying about running around breathing fire on everyone. I think I did get more effective by taking the dash punch moves over the fire blasts, even if it hurts the power fantasy a little bit. But yeah, I do think he needs just a little bit of tuning, maybe a little extra damage on his autos or a little extra tankiness. I was finding myself in losing battles against speedsters who were a level lower than me because I just wasn't taking the huge chunks out of their HP that they were able to do to me.

The Deleter posted:

At some point I'm gonna become the rear end in a top hat who slamdunks an attacker/speedster pick and never back down, because otherwise I'll never get to play that role.

Is this an issue for you? I'd say at least half of my games have at least one person going support or defender, and as long as someone's doing at least one of those things I don't think the team composition is strict enough in this game to prevent you from just locking in your Ninetails or whatever.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

By the time I can scroll over to pick gengar (which takes WAY longer than it should) someone else has picked zeraora already… it’s not fair, he’s closer to the left!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

By the time I can scroll over to pick gengar (which takes WAY longer than it should) someone else has picked zeraora already… it’s not fair, he’s closer to the left!!

You can favorite a Pokeman and it starts the draft with him highlighted.