Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

HashtagGirlboss posted:

He literally cut a baby in half once

That’s kind of cool

there are peeps w pediatric hemispherectomies that go to grad school. the most serious medical thing you can do to a brain where peeps can completely heal from it

domain knowledge really exists and is the only sort of knowledge, its just that domains get big. ben carson: one domain man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/DanPriceSeattle/status/1418662701971120129

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > CIA-SPAM > capitalism.png - This is the most disturbing Frito-Lay story we've covered.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Muscle Wizard posted:

get this: without any doctors, there wouldnt be anyone to do medicine at all. wouldnt that suck

wrong. doctors (not medicine) were invented by capitalism in the 16th century.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

"It's good that doctors exist" and "lots of doctors are fuckers who only do good for selfish reasons" aren't incompatible ideas at all wtf

Also imho taking pre-med students down a notch is a service to them and society. If you're going to do a job with other people's lives on the line, being able to both recognize the limits of what you know and deal with failure is kind of important.

e: this is not a skill american universities are good at teaching anyone else that needs it either, from my experience

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Scientific, evidence based medicine is actually a good thing. It sucks that it was funnelled through some patriarchal bullshit where midwifes and other traditional healthcare providers were hosed over, but let's not get all ant-science about it all. Marxists have always realized that Capitalism provides mechanisms that have the potential to greatly advance humanity and the scientific revolution and modern medicine is one of them.

Edit: And yeah pre-med students really are shitheads as someone who was one until recently. A good portion of my fellow classmates in Canada though that healthcare should be partially privatized. Med schools kid themselves when they think that people don't go to med school for the money, but honestly some of those people are probably pretty good doctors too.

ToxicAcne has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Jul 27, 2021

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

Ben Carson is somehow allowed to work on people's brains

Ben Carson is a competent brain surgeon but he should never ever be allowed to express his opinion on anything not related to brain surgery...that's how we get theories about the Egyptians storing their food supply in the same building they store their dead people.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

going to the local barber surgeon to stick it to big doctor

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are peeps w pediatric hemispherectomies that go to grad school. the most serious medical thing you can do to a brain where peeps can completely heal from it

domain knowledge really exists and is the only sort of knowledge, its just that domains get big. ben carson: one domain man

bens patients died

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

i know they could have easily used "received a significant electric shock" instead

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm already boycotting Coke. Don't want to drink Pepsi now. Is Faygo cool?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/LinzDeFranco/status/1419723530820734984

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

oh so it's like Nightcrawler but for the gig economy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hey me 15 years ago, in the future that attention-seeking myspace Alice Cooper from the puking cereal and milk picture will be so toxically rich it actually directly affects other people's health

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

nightcrawler was ALREADY about a gig economy job

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

anime was right posted:

nightcrawler was ALREADY about a gig economy job

no not your grandpas gig economy from 2017 or whatever.

get with it and realize you only get paid for the second you're hitting record on a crime scene.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Muscle Wizard posted:

get this: without any doctors, there wouldnt be anyone to do medicine at all. wouldnt that suck

american doctors dont actually do medicine, they do medical coding for billing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Watching nightcrawler and thinking my god this man is a hero

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I think I've only met one doctor I can for-sure say was a good person. He was my old doctor who retired about a year ago, and he was basically a loving unicorn. He was an incredibly competent general practitioner, spent a shitload of time with his patients to make sure he understood what they had going on, didn't dismiss women's health concerns (dunno about POC, but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't dismiss theirs, either), was very much in favor of socialized medicine, explicitly wasn't in it for the money (among other things, he kept his rates low, left a much higher-paying position as a private doctor for rich people because he wasn't helping people who needed it, and he gave people free appointments and free medical supplies when they had financial trouble/lost their insurance), etc. I really can't say the same about my new doctor or any other I've ever seen.

Muscle Wizard posted:

i think doctors are good personally.

Cool story, bro.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The only doctors I've met that were decent people and good at their jobs were immigrants. I'm sure this has nothing to do with anything though and definitely isn't indicative of any kind of larger problem.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Nastier Nate posted:

Ben Carson is a competent brain surgeon but he should never ever be allowed to express his opinion on anything not related to brain surgery...that's how we get theories about the Egyptians storing their food supply in the same building they store their dead people.

I'm told neurosurgeons generally practice until they physically can't do it, since it's such a lucrative and respected profession. The fact that he transitioned to politics seems to me that he was not that great of a neurosurgeon. He may have even been bad.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Muscle Wizard posted:

so do you hate doctors or just people that want to be one

Both tbh

Doctors are health cops

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

I'm told neurosurgeons generally practice until they physically can't do it, since it's such a lucrative and respected profession. The fact that he transitioned to politics seems to me that he was not that great of a neurosurgeon. He may have even been bad.

Who knows if it's all PR, but he's supposed to be a pioneer in the field.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Is the medical residency thread on this forum any good?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Chamale posted:

I'm already boycotting Coke. Don't want to drink Pepsi now. Is Faygo cool?

Aww man, I had just settled in for my Pepsi/Frito-Lay boycott, is there a specific reason to boycott Coke right now that I've missed?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

SpacePig posted:

Aww man, I had just settled in for my Pepsi/Frito-Lay boycott, is there a specific reason to boycott Coke right now that I've missed?

Only the usual, any company that bottles or cans liquids is drawing massive amounts of water from the area around the factory location. See Nestle.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I think they are doing union busting by execution somewhere. The pro move, as always, is to never consume anything. Drink water, eat potatoes from your garden, go off the grid.

Also American cops are bad because they are American and because they are cops. They're double bad.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

you guys sure have a bunch of strong opinions about an entire field of professionals from like the 4 doctors you've met personally. what are the professions of smart people who are all really nice and good? my personal experience with doctors is some of them are great, some are mediocre and some are awful. wow just like mechanics or teachers or any other job that i can think of.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
I know a bunch of MDs socially since I married one. 60% of the doctors give the other 40% a bad name, imo.

Premeds are more often scum.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

this transfiguration from the stated mockery of a specific subtype of student to “why do you hate all doctors everywhere” is bizarre

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Who knows if it's all PR, but he's supposed to be a pioneer in the field.

The pioneers loving sucked.

e: And if they're in a field, they're clearly not pioneers :D

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

can i say i'm boycotting fritos if i dont buy chips? asking for a friend

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

this transfiguration from the stated mockery of a specific subtype of student to “why do you hate all doctors everywhere” is bizarre

Not really, it's because I straight up said "Americans hate doctors" and then just went from there.

Because it's true.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I hate all doctors everywhere, death to the medical-industrial complex

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I dunno, my doctor orders tests and then tells me if the number is high enough that we shold do more tests. Seems polite enough when she does it. :shrug:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ben Carson cameoed in the film Stuck on You as the surgeon who separates Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear.

EDIT: This is not a joke

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

My favorite anecdote is that while visiting Africa, he only had one day to go on safari, so he prayed and God made all the animals poke their heads up to be visible so Ben could have a really great safari!

I mean at least when God taught him his college coursework personally, the night before his finals, in a dream, that was actually useful.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
[mute recommended]
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6989055538529111301

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

I dunno, my doctor orders tests and then tells me if the number is high enough that we shold do more tests. Seems polite enough when she does it. :shrug:

If I had to guess, perception of doctors is heavily influenced by how much your existence depends on regularly successfully interacting with them, which for a lot of otherwise-healthy people is probably "not all that much". Like to me doctors are just kinda an annoyance I have to deal with to get my medication, so I'm exaggerating a bit in my personal whining.

However I can't really think of a single trans person I know personally who has had overall good experiences with doctors (and plenty who have had suicide-attempt-inducing experiences), and I know a hell of a lot of trans people.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i like that it says wait for it for the whole clip so i kept waiting but then it ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

What is there to wait for, TikTok? What am I waiting for? Oh no, kids made a mess in a store that their parent couldn't miss a day working in. Okay cool, what am I waiting for!?