Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

orphean posted:

No wrong way to play but remember that you can power through the story and everything you’re doing now will be super outclassed by the first carnage potlid you find (not to mention Raksasha…)
I fully expect that to be the case as it always is. It's funny how fast and easily you can end up making the story difficulty mean nothing even without trying due to D-Merits. I sold a bunch of random crap for 150k IW points too so I can only imagine that Carnage and Raksasha items dump millions and billions of points on you so that you can just buy maxed out statisticians and other innocents easily enough without having to deal with any tedious duping bullshit like in the past (gently caress D3 and the PPS).

Apparently the Demo had some insane money making trick to for making billions per minute and I assume there's something I could be doing to make stupid amounts of HL currently, unless IWs having shops that sell Gencys and such for millions of HL is just A Thing and getting them when they're far outside your means is just something that'll happen regardless.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Monster weapons aren't a thing anymore and magichange/ride is missing so yeah, they're just like Warriors or Rune Knights or what have you now.

This is and the lack of weapon skills are two things I dislike. I'd be fine with monsters using regular weapons but losing stuff like Magichange is annoying and all skills being class based is real baffling.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
quote/edit/etc

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

orphean posted:

The lukewarmest hot take here but D6 here feels a little empty. I get the fact that D5 was a huge mountain of crazy and different systems and maybe it was all a bit Too Much but they've gone too far the other way. I really miss things like interesting and essential mystery rooms, tower skills, receive, monster weapons/skills, more classes, etc. Hoping now they've pared it all back to the bones they'll start adding things back in (maybe with new concepts/twists?)

I've been taking a break from the postgame but, the postgame has so few actual levels that it's criminal. You get a few rehashed D1 fights, then Baal, then Carnage.

I like the game but as a sequel to D5 it's a massive step down.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Deki posted:

I've been taking a break from the postgame but, the postgame has so few actual levels that it's criminal. You get a few rehashed D1 fights, then Baal, then Carnage.

I like the game but as a sequel to D5 it's a massive step down.

Yeah I was hoping for some postgame stuff that actually felt more like a postgame premise. The D1 stuff is fine but it also just feels no different from DLC scenarios.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Srice posted:

Yeah I was hoping for some postgame stuff that actually felt more like a postgame premise. The D1 stuff is fine but it also just feels no different from DLC scenarios.

I'm glad we don't have to do D3/D4 bullshit to hit Carnage, but setting your team to auto repeat/AI and crunching on Cave of Trials for an hour and being Carnage ready is also kind of lame.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It feels like when a big game with a ton of expansions releases a sequel. (Civ, The Sims, I'm sure there's more) it feels bare bones and like there's intentionally places left for other ideas that worked before.

If they keep using the same engine refine the performance and go back to every 2 years per title this is a good baseline. I have fun but the content postgame content very much feel lacking. An expansion on a Disgaea would be absolutely silly but if they can make the numbers go higher maybe? I'm thinking they'd just call it 7 and write up a new story.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I do like the fact that they changed the formula again. The introduction of auto-battle and complete removal of duping had a lot of ripple effects mechanically, and I felt like they dealt with them pretty well.

But yeah, in pretty much every other respect it feels like a kind of hollow shadow of 5. The first 10 or whatever chapters of the story, before the start of Act 2, really drives this home; it just does the "intro character, powerup character" thing more blatantly, even referencing it in the dialogue, but with way less memorable one-note characters. Act 2 on was better and fun though. But then the postgame is just nothing at all.

But it's still Disgaea, still enjoying it, now have 260 hours clocked though mostly from auto-battling every high-ranking rakshasa item to 9999. Life is too busy right now to really sit and play this constantly, but hey, now I don't have to.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 26, 2021

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I picked up 5 again because of this thread, and it’s still good and fun.

My Item Worlding has slowed to a crawl since I finished the Carnage Dimension, so that’s the next problem to solve. I’ve heard it’s possible to blow up the Item World with really strong all-enemy Overloads, so I’ve grinded Usalia up to 10M (almost 20M; just a few more captured enemies to go), and I’ll try to figure out what to give her next.

My strongest character is an archer, and she’s actually extremely useful in that role. Support Attack is neat when you have 8 or more range. I gave her an evility that makes her counterattack before taking a hit, and it’s very effective combined with a bow full of status effect innocents.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

You could probably use the Sage(?) map-wide attacks as well. With Usalia, or anyone else, the trick is to have them surrounded by people with aura buffs. IIRC girl laharl's one evility stacks so you can put it on a ton of people in the huge squad and it ends up boosting the hell out of female squad members.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

zzMisc posted:

I do like the fact that they changed the formula again. The introduction of auto-battle and complete removal of duping had a lot of ripple effects mechanically, and I felt like they dealt with them pretty well.

But yeah, in pretty much every other respect it feels like a kind of hollow shadow of 5. The first 10 or whatever chapters of the story, before the start of Act 2, really drives this home; it just does the "intro character, powerup character" thing more blatantly, even referencing it in the dialogue, but with way less memorable one-note characters. Act 2 on was better and fun though. But then the postgame is just nothing at all.

But it's still Disgaea, still enjoying it, now have 260 hours clocked though mostly from auto-battling every high-ranking rakshasa item to 9999. Life is too busy right now to really sit and play this constantly, but hey, now I don't have to.

It definitely doesn't help that you fight the same boss a million times. They make it work in the story but from a gameplay perspective it's just not satisfying. I understand that it's probably a limitation of the resources available to them and they had to make compromises but it is a bummer all the same.

I do feel like if they use the new engine and gameplay changes for an eventual Disgaea 7 they will be able to refine it into something fantastic. I have enjoyed 6 overall but it has definitely felt lacking in some aspects.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Beat the 'game', and needing some HL to start using all my juice points! Any easy ways of grinding? I don't want the most efficient 40 hour set up ones, just one I can leave it on for a bit.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Pladdicus posted:

Beat the 'game', and needing some HL to start using all my juice points! Any easy ways of grinding? I don't want the most efficient 40 hour set up ones, just one I can leave it on for a bit.

The Damage Reward evility on a mage casting Elemental Burst. Make Elemental Burst as strong as your mana allows. Repeat a level that she can finish in one shot. Use the 1-slot evility that boosts damage against whatever enemy type you're grinding on. Do NOT use HL boosting evilities, they do not affect the gain from Damage Reward; just stick to things that boost damage.

Edit: Whoops, the whole point of Elemental Burst is that it always costs your max SP, regardless of how strong it is.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 27, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

zzMisc posted:

The Damage Reward evility on a mage casting Elemental Burst. Make Elemental Burst as strong as your mana allows. Repeat a level that she can finish in one shot. Use the 1-slot evility that boosts damage against whatever enemy type you're grinding on.

Edit: Whoops, the whole point of Elemental Burst is that it always costs your max SP, regardless of how strong it is.

It always uses 100% of your SP, you do damage based the stat NOT your SP, you do do damage based on the percentage of SP you have. There's another evility that is critical that you get an SP refund for doing damage this should completely fill your SP back up ideally. SP is a bad stat for a mage.

e:
If that feels cheap / like cheating damage to HL evility works fine on any character (you can clear the game in under 150hours abusing this and taking your sweet time I would imagine you could do it in under 100 hours if you planned it out).

I always play Disgaea with whatever feels fun to me, which is why I rarely make it too far in LoC. Some stuff is just very much not fun and I'd rather run the item world for 50 hours than navigate menus to pass bills for 10 hours to achieve the same thing. One is fun the other isn't.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 27, 2021

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

zzMisc posted:

Which is okay, just throw Mana Collector in her and :getin:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

pixaal posted:

It always uses 100% of your SP, you do damage based the stat NOT your SP, you do do damage based on the percentage of SP you have. There's another evility that is critical that you get an SP refund for doing damage this should completely fill your SP back up ideally. SP is a bad stat for a mage.

You do not need to refill your SP if you're finishing a level in one burst and repeating.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think the preferred method is to combine Damage Reward with Handicap (cannot kill lower level units) and just let the game beat on an early story dude forever. Save on going through battle start/end screens.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

I think the preferred method is to combine Damage Reward with Handicap (cannot kill lower level units) and just let the game beat on an early story dude forever. Save on going through battle start/end screens.

Yeah, but then you run into the problem of enemies not staying put from one round to the next. That's probably easily taken care of with the paralysis-causing innocent though, but I didn't have any or think of it when I was in that spot. Probably better to put them to sleep actually anyway, for the crits.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That evility, like many others, is just a random reincarnation reward too isn't it? So you just keep reincarnating over and over until someone gets it and you can then scroll it to whomever?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

That evility, like many others, is just a random reincarnation reward too isn't it? So you just keep reincarnating over and over until someone gets it and you can then scroll it to whomever?

You can just buy all of them shove them in the club / group whatever it's called that gives you more evilities on reincarnation and scoop up 4 per. If you purchase all of them it takes like 10-20 rebirths until you have them all and start earning extract per reincarnation. You can stop at that point, because you have all of them. Then you scroll it out.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

zzMisc posted:

Yeah, but then you run into the problem of enemies not staying put from one round to the next. That's probably easily taken care of with the paralysis-causing innocent though, but I didn't have any or think of it when I was in that spot. Probably better to put them to sleep actually anyway, for the crits.

Well the easy HL damage handicap setup is the hero level. You can throw your galaxy mage and the enemy to the same spot as the geos and line them up so you hit all 3 for more HL per hour.

There is a far better one, but is also more complicated to setup so you’d probably want to watch the YouTube video on it.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

zzMisc posted:

There's an early map(2-3 I think) with just one enemy and they don't move around.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Even if it was all just anime cliche, I kinda liked the third act twist.

Nobody suspects the dog

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

zzMisc posted:

Give someone the Lucky Board Won't Move evility and have Majolene turn them into a rabbid

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So can you ever get more than a 25% steal chance on a thief? In the other games the steal rates would hit 50-100% but in this I've yet to see more than a 25% chance even if I'm stealing from an enemy that's lower level and has a fraction of my hit/spd. Evilities like the gunner's 100% hit rate for allies doesn't affect steal does it?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

25% is cap they nerfed steal and honestly the game feels short even without stealing a single thing. Short compared to a normal Disgaea you'll still probably get 100hours or more if you want to do all the post game.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

So can you ever get more than a 25% steal chance on a thief?

There's an evility that doubles steal rate, and puts the cap at 50%. Then you can use things like Hasty Rush and Melodia's extra turn skill to get more chances.

Edit: It's DLC though, it's on Fuka.

Edit2: And I'm wrong again! I just noticed my thief has higher than 50% chances against this IW boss. There may be a cap in specific circumstances though, like stealing a legendary from an Item God 2.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 28, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Considering almost every other class skill is just damage, why not use magic for that and reincarnate every NPC as a thief.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Well elemental burst sure gets silly once you can farm even a1-2 billion HL to spend some INT extracts. Forget diving through carnage items, a few hours later and my galaxy mage went from a few billion to quad or quintillions of damage. :hellyeah:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think all of the season 1 DLC is out now in America.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Any word on it coming to PS4 (or heck, PC :lol:)? Really don't want to play this at 15 fps

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

kloa posted:

Any word on it coming to PS4 (or heck, PC :lol:)? Really don't want to play this at 15 fps

I honestly would expect them to skip that entirely in the west and jump right into an ultimate edition in a year or two that bundles the DLC into the base game and is released for PS5 and PC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kloa posted:

Nothing yet, I really hope it happens. I think Pixaal is probably right.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

kloa posted:

pixaal posted:

I honestly would expect them to skip that entirely in the west and jump right into an ultimate edition in a year or two that bundles the DLC into the base game and is released for PS5 and PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz4RBG9Kmoo

Congrats on being right pixaal. D6 comes to PC, P4&PS5 this summer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz4RBG9Kmoo

Congrats on being right pixaal. D6 comes to PC, P4&PS5 this summer.

Ooh thank gently caress! So glad to see this. Will be totally cool with playing through the game again but this time with an acceptable frame rate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Disgaea 6 is finally out tomorrow for PC.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

I said come in! posted:

Disgaea 6 is finally out tomorrow for PC.

I should actually get back to it on the Switch. I don't need any more PC games, I actually need more games I can play from my couch.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Imagine if you will : double digit frames per second

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Imagine if you will : double digit frames per second

And a screen resolution above 420p. I am excited to buy the PC version tomorrow and do the grind all over again.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

I said come in! posted:

And a screen resolution above 420p. I am excited to buy the PC version tomorrow and do the grind all over again.

Those are both good points, hadn't thought of that. Ah well, it's only money right? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Those are both good points, hadn't thought of that. Ah well, it's only money right? :)

On the other hand playing handheld is a huge bonus. I wonder how this will play on Steam Deck? I am unable to get one of those.