Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Spedman posted:

Here are my blunt thoughts on this photo and every other "vintage aesthetic" you see these days:

The photo is a lazy heavy handed approach to produce an aesthetic that only every existed in the minds eye of people who never lived through that period of time

it's a fantasy, and a boring one at that

Compared with the endless overexposed parking lots, it's a breath of fresh air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

cite your source on "endless overexposed parking lots" being posted here, please.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

got any examples?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bellows lugosi posted:

cite your source on "endless overexposed parking lots" being posted here, please.

Had to go back all the way to page 503!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

even the loving parking lots are hard mode in aus. also the above poster requested that they be over exposed.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

Had to go back all the way to page 503!

interested in your thoughts on photographs taken in a parking lot (inescapable/american reality/car culture) vs. photographs of parking lots (as a subject).

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 27, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bellows lugosi posted:

interested in your thoughts on photographs taken in a parking lot (commentary in inescapable/ever-present/car culture) vs. photographs of parking lots (as a subject).

No you aren't, but I'm happy to play anyway. Parking lots are a feature of the built environment just like any other structure. So taking a photo in a parking lot is no different than taking one in a stairwell or from a balcony or in an airport or on a sidewalk, etc.
But, taking a photo of a parking lot, whilst in the parking lot, as opposed to from an adjacent structure, might lead one to feelings of expansive desolation, or isolation, if the parking lot is large enough and empty enough. That might cause the photographer to try and capture that feeling. But as the photographer, you are the one controlling the narrative. You can lie. You can frame the parking lot so all the vibrant life is convenienly out of shot, if your goal is conveying desolation. So knowing that photographs of parking lots are lies told to fit a narrative, even if the narrative is internal to the photographer, you can go two ways with them. How are you lying? Did you process the photo to remove contrast, to evoke a certain feeling? Did you clone out the bird that was flying past? What other technical trickery did you do to create this lie? This is like trying to work out how the magician did his trick.
Or you could ask, is there actually anything visually interesting about this parking lot? Is the architecture significant or odd? Is there something incongruous going on with it? Or is it just a parking lot? How the trick is done might be technically interesting, but it doesn't much matter if it isn't visually interesting.
And if the parking lot-as-subject is part of a greater meta concept that parking lots are significant precisely because of their utter banality, and for that reason alone are worthy of photographing, I eagerly await your upcoming series on commercial and industrial flooring. I hope it's shot in black and white.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Buddy, I don't know what to tell you, but all photography is deceit. I'll take well executed desolation and monotony over under exposed classic cars with lifted blacks any day of the week.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 27, 2021

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

No you aren't, but I'm happy to play anyway. Parking lots are a feature of the built environment just like any other structure. So taking a photo in a parking lot is no different than taking one in a stairwell or from a balcony or in an airport or on a sidewalk, etc.
But, taking a photo of a parking lot, whilst in the parking lot, as opposed to from an adjacent structure, might lead one to feelings of expansive desolation, or isolation, if the parking lot is large enough and empty enough. That might cause the photographer to try and capture that feeling. But as the photographer, you are the one controlling the narrative. You can lie. You can frame the parking lot so all the vibrant life is convenienly out of shot, if your goal is conveying desolation. So knowing that photographs of parking lots are lies told to fit a narrative, even if the narrative is internal to the photographer, you can go two ways with them. How are you lying? Did you process the photo to remove contrast, to evoke a certain feeling? Did you clone out the bird that was flying past? What other technical trickery did you do to create this lie? This is like trying to work out how the magician did his trick.
Or you could ask, is there actually anything visually interesting about this parking lot? Is the architecture significant or odd? Is there something incongruous going on with it? Or is it just a parking lot? How the trick is done might be technically interesting, but it doesn't much matter if it isn't visually interesting.
And if the parking lot-as-subject is part of a greater meta concept that parking lots are significant precisely because of their utter banality, and for that reason alone are worthy of photographing, I eagerly await your upcoming series on commercial and industrial flooring. I hope it's shot in black and white.

Start here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Topographics

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've been thinking about it a bit more, why do I value photographs of parking lots over this nostalgia art style, and it's a matter of connection and relation. These new topographic style photos are of scenes and things that directly relate to my every day experience and reflect my thoughts and beliefs through a visual medium. The desolation, sense of ruin, boredom, impermanence and emptiness speak to my own beliefs of the system and age we live under. They might be lies, as you put it, but it's in service of encapsulating and communicating a shared experience.

Nostalgia art is all surface. I have no connection, I see no commentary and the only reaction I have is "that's nice" or "cool aesthetic". It's a call to an imagined past that doesn't exist. It's looking back with a modern lens and constructing, from whole cloth, a thing that was not. I disagree with the tenet put forward in that video that it is anti-capital. It's pure consumerism, it puts nostalgia on a pedestal and says "Hey, isn't that cool?"

It's like someone said "Hey, what if Ready Player One was a photo?"

Megabound fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 27, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

8th-snype posted:

This is wrong af. Low content "praising" comments are fine in smaller peer groups but in a vacuum they stunt your artistic growth by teaching you to seek praise.

i was talking specifically in the context of this thread, which i think constitutes a smaller peer group

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

thats a weird parking lot

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

eggsovereasy posted:

thats a weird parking lot

But the parking jobs are very impressive!

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

majour333 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 27, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Megabound posted:

I've been thinking about it a bit more, why do I value photographs of parking lots over this nostalgia art style, and it's a matter of connection and relation. These new topographic style photos are of scenes and things that directly relate to my every day experience and reflect my thoughts and beliefs through a visual medium. The desolation, sense of ruin, boredom, impermanence and emptiness speak to my own beliefs of the system and age we live under. They might be lies, as you put it, but it's in service of encapsulating and communicating a shared experience.

Nostalgia art is all surface. I have no connection, I see no commentary and the only reaction I have is "that's nice" or "cool aesthetic". It's a call to an imagined past that doesn't exist. It's looking back with a modern lens and constructing, from whole cloth, a thing that was not. I disagree with the tenet put forward in that video that it is anti-capital. It's pure consumerism, it puts nostalgia on a pedestal and says "Hey, isn't that cool?"

I understand that sentiment, but my experience is different and possibly that's where the disconnect lies. I live in a place that actively erases parking lots by digging them out and building ugly glass facade condos and offices on top. To me, faded out black and white photos of parking lots is nostalgia art. Hey, remember when we used to park there as a kid, visiting the city? Yeah that's all gone now. Replaced by condos.
My empty parking lots are shiny glass cityscapes. The dominating architecture of banking empires. Every generic phallus sketched by every two-bit architect wanting to put his mark on the cityscape with no thought put towards the people who live in and use a city. Photos of empty crumbling post industrial suburbs and exurbs showing me what a shithole some random place is just like, oh yeah we had those, then the real estate developers showed up and really made it a shithole. Crumbling Americana has been done to death for decades, and my real problem with it is there's no attempt at juxtaposition. Don't just show me a wasteland, show me why it's a wasteland.
All the criticisms of nostalgia art can be levelled at the empty black and white parking lot genre. It's all surface, no analysis, it's lazy, it's trying to force context onto a thing without context, it's all aesthetics, and boring aesthetics at that.
My personal approach to photography is to ask, first and foremost, is this visually interesting? Is there something about the interplay of light, shadow, colour and form that draws the eye? Telling a story, composing a scene (in a theatrical sense), creating emotional impact, those are all things that can make a good photo great, but it's got to be good in the first place, otherwise the rest of it is wasted. Is this something interesting? Or is it just a parking lot. Sometimes it's just a parking lot.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

but this is dodging my question of thinking of photographs taken in something vs photographs taken of something. i don't think any of the photographs on page 503 are of parking lots, they're in parking lots. regardless of your current feelings on skyscrapers, parking lots and asphalt haven't disappeared, people still stand in them to take pictures of subjects that aren't the parking lot itself

i'm not really sure what your gripe is with crumbling photographs - america is falling apart at the scenes and people take pictures of decay as metaphors for their feelings of the state of american society, the inevitability of death, our own personal decay, etc., and you say this right after a photograph in a parking lot (very clearly not of a parking lot) has a literally slapping-you-in-the-face obvious juxtaposition:

if you can't see that this is showing you why this is a wasteland i think you're not looking closely enough

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bellows lugosi posted:

but this is dodging my question of thinking of photographs taken in something vs photographs taken of something. i don't think any of the photographs on page 503 are of parking lots, they're in parking lots. regardless of your current feelings on skyscrapers, parking lots and asphalt haven't disappeared, people still stand in them to take pictures of subjects that aren't the parking lot itself

i'm not really sure what your gripe is with crumbling photographs - america is falling apart at the scenes and people take pictures of decay as metaphors for their feelings of the state of american society, the inevitability of death, our own personal decay, etc., and you say this right after a photograph in a parking lot (very clearly not of a parking lot) has a literally slapping-you-in-the-face obvious juxtaposition:

if you can't see that this is showing you why this is a wasteland i think you're not looking closely enough

The empty parking lot is very obviously a key component of that photo of a strip mall church and some garages or storage lockers. It's very well composed, and the photo wouldn't look as good on a Sunday when there might be cars busying up the lower third of it. But what's being juxtaposed here? Am I meant to understand something about the stip mall church because of the empty parking lot? Is there a guy with his face buried in his phone showing me the irrelevance of strip mall churches? Can I see the steeple of an old cathedral in the background contrasting new and old religion? Is there a strip mall mosque next door, or a strip club even? It's just a building for people to occupy, not presently being occupied. If there was a busted up pickup truck with a Trump sticker on the back parked in the lot, or a homeless guy sleeping in the doorway, now you've added some context. If there was a purple lamborghini parked out front, now you're really getting me curious and interested in just what the heck is going on.
But nothing is going on. And I get that's the point, it just isn't interesting.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
I look at a pic like that and see the juxtaposition of the church and the very obvious "crucifix" framed between the trees over the storage lockers, facing the empty lot.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

it kinda sounds like you want to be spoon fed The Point of the photo by placing some contrived context - trump truck, dude with cell phone, another older church, etc.

the name of the church is Hope, tucked away right next to a row of storage lockers that people use to discard, yet hold onto, their belongings and possessions (their consumerism), and in that sense their hopes for their futures. the storage lockers are their crypts.
there is no hope. for the people that live there, there is only Hope.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 27, 2021

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

majour333 posted:

I look at a pic like that and see the juxtaposition of the church and the very obvious "crucifix" framed between the trees over the storage lockers, facing the empty lot.

hope is empty, a power line crucifix over a tomb of physical excess :newlol:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

majour333 posted:

bobmarleysghost posted:

it kinda sounds like you want to be spoon fed The Point of the photo by placing some contrived context - trump truck, dude with cell phone, another older church, etc.

the name of the church is Hope, tucked away right next to a row of storage lockers that people use to discard, yet hold onto, their belongings and possessions (their consumerism), and in that sense their hopes for their futures. the storage lockers are their crypts.
there is no hope. for the people that live there, there is only Hope.

I guess I kinda do, because now that it's been spoon fed to me, I see it. It's very subtle, and I'm not really one for picking up on subtle religious symbolism. The crucifix power line pole is just a power line pole to me. Churches are places other people go to, for their own reasons, as are storage lockers. Now that you've told me the story, I appreciate it, but the picture itself didn't tell me that story.
It's like having the name Holden Caulfield explained to you by an English teacher. Oh right, so he's holding on to the caul, the fetal membrane, uh huh. And that's why this book is good?

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 27, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bellows lugosi posted:

If I have to look closely at a picture that is boring in the first place and does nothing to attract my attention, then it's already failed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Wafflecopper posted:

i was talking specifically in the context of this thread, which i think constitutes a smaller peer group

so was I, very few people in this thread are peers.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

If I have to look closely at a picture that is boring in the first place and does nothing to attract my attention, then it's already failed.

Don't blame a photo for your lack of attention span.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Megabound posted:

Doesn't this undermine your earlier post about art and subjectivity? I'm not defending nostalgia, but how do you reconcile ideas like "This piece doesn't speak to me and I can't relate to it," when there are people who don't share your worldview or experience?

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Vinestalk posted:

Doesn't this undermine your earlier post about art and subjectivity? I'm not defending nostalgia, but how do you reconcile ideas like "This piece doesn't speak to me and I can't relate to it," when there are people who don't share your worldview or experience?

Only of you think Ready Player One is art

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Another link for people struggling to grasp the nettle:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiotics

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

i don't think my photo is nostalgic at all :shrug:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That comment directed at the car/bail photo discussion

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

sorry, was replying to this

Finger Prince posted:

To me, faded out black and white photos of parking lots is nostalgia art.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ah right. The poster is likely conflating black and white photos with nostalgia.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Sepia tone is my go to for nostalgia.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Megabound posted:

Only of you think Ready Player One is art

I said in my post I wasn't defending nostalgia, so this was kind of an lovely response.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Vinestalk posted:

I said in my post I wasn't defending nostalgia, so this was kind of an lovely response.

Sorry, my intent was not to be dismissive of your question. I'm saying that nostalgia in and of itself is not art and that my worldview of art being objective is only contradicted if it is art. Art can be not for me, or can not speak to me, that is not enough to say "This is not art" it's just not for me!

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

finally a photograph i can understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ben garrison parachute account spotted