Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tibalt posted:

The hilarious thing to me is the stuff that made Romero/his brand insufferable seem to be only indirectly related to why Diakatana bad.

But taunting critics only goes well when you make a work that's above reproach.

He had the hype winds at his back because Id made several of the best games in history in the 90's and it wasn't commonly understood by that many people who was responsible for what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Puppy Time posted:

I do not understand why you are responding this to a general point that did not mention a specific timeframe?

Like it's not like the early 80s was a progressive utopia either.

excuse me sir my Ernest Cline novrls would disagree

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/BWHolland/status/1418427542025883651?s=20

Games Workshop

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
jfc just nakedly exploiting employees' love of the brand, huh

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Funny. In my industry, companies don't post salaries because they want candidates to lowball themselves. :shrug:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Daikatana is bad, but Romero and the other folks at Ion Storm Dallas ended up inadvertently and repeatedly running interference for Ion Storm Austin by partying too hard with the Eidos suits whenever they crossed the pond to check on development, so to some degree we can thank Daikatana for Deus Ex being so good.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also why thief is good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The real unfortunate thing about Daikatana is that while Romero was in charge, he wasn't doing the main thing he is actually good at and known for, level/map design. He is the man who made Episode 1 of Doom (the best part) and his levels for Quake are also superb, taking full advantage of true 3D. Here he had to delegate that task because he was too busy being a rockstar, which is why so much of Daikatana's design is punishing and unfair and unpleasant.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

The real unfortunate thing about Daikatana is that while Romero was in charge, he wasn't doing the main thing he is actually good at and known for, level/map design. He is the man who made Episode 1 of Doom (the best part) and his levels for Quake are also superb, taking full advantage of true 3D. Here he had to delegate that task because he was too busy being a rockstar, which is why so much of Daikatana's design is punishing and unfair and unpleasant.

Auteur theory in game design makes even less sense than it does in film. And the people you could argue are, get to that level of fame usually do something really simple (Shigeru Miyamoto telling people that having canon/storyline in his games are stupid, and also that they (games) should be immediately approachable to everyone of all ages) or they more or less do their own PR because they really wish they could work in film (Kojima, Druckmann). It's a shame that Todd Howard gets poo poo on so hard for releasing buggy games since by all accounts he treats the people he outranks very well, is nice to everyone, and doesn't abuse his team at all. They do crunch time, but unlike the overwhelming majority of game development teams, his doesnt lose 90% of its workforce from depression/stress/anxiety/other mental illnesses related to exhaustion and abusive work environments after they ship a product. Most of the people that shipped Morrowind are still there.

But you know, my guy clipped through a floor every 15-20 hours so gently caress Bethesda, and especially gently caress Todd. :rolleyes:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/lagoon83/status/1419634371087282177

https://twitter.com/lagoon83/status/1419704647967719432

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Given how often their boxed games get partsed out for resale, that manager wasn't exactly wrong.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

Given how often their boxed games get partsed out for resale, that manager wasn't exactly wrong.

I mean maybe he's onto something but goddamn, I've been accused of being overly cynical before for suggesting that you could sell a deliberately half-assed game as long as the pictures are pretty enough, and here GW is just literally telling their designers "yeah don't put too much effort into this."

e; to be abundantly clear, the much bigger issue here is still that GW is ludicrously underpaying their employees.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Auteur theory in game design makes even less sense than it does in film.

back in the day one person actually could create levels all by themselves, Romero getting credit for that is actually ok

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kai Tave posted:

I mean maybe he's onto something but goddamn, I've been accused of being overly cynical before for suggesting that you could sell a deliberately half-assed game as long as the pictures are pretty enough, and here GW is just literally telling their designers "yeah don't put too much effort into this."

e; to be abundantly clear, the much bigger issue here is still that GW is ludicrously underpaying their employees.

Yeah, people are so transfixed by the aesthetic that they really will buy a lot of trash just because of the aesthetic and the meme poo poo of their brands.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

But you know, my guy clipped through a floor every 15-20 hours so gently caress Bethesda, and especially gently caress Todd. :rolleyes:

Bethesda only "lightly crunching" employees and still releasing incomplete messes like Fallout 76, as well as antics like loving Obsidian every step of the way on Fallout New Vegas' development and refusing them bonuses after it all because the metacritic score wasn'th high enough, and the heavy pressure they put on their satellite studios to release cynically monetized games like Wolfenstein: New Blood, can all be bullshit things even if we haven't heard any reports of widespread abuse, racism, or misogyny from the studio. The Todd Howard thing is just a meme because he's a carnival hypeman and he kind of sounds like a discarded muppet experiment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

Bethesda only "lightly crunching" employees and still releasing incomplete messes like Fallout 76, as well as antics like loving Obsidian every step of the way on Fallout New Vegas' development and refusing them bonuses after it all because the metacritic score wasn'th high enough, and the heavy pressure they put on their satellite studios to release cynically monetized games like Wolfenstein: New Blood, can all be bullshit things even if we haven't heard any reports of widespread abuse, racism, or misogyny from the studio. The Todd Howard thing is just a meme because he's a carnival hypeman and he kind of sounds like a discarded muppet experiment.

to add to this, Fallout 76 was incredibly, disgustingly monetized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjyeCdd-dl8

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Daikatana is bad, but Romero and the other folks at Ion Storm Dallas ended up inadvertently and repeatedly running interference for Ion Storm Austin by partying too hard with the Eidos suits whenever they crossed the pond to check on development, so to some degree we can thank Daikatana for Deus Ex being so good.

Then they should have partied even harder so we could have gotten more Anarchronox. :colbert:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TG As An Industry: Daikatana was bad, Fallout 76 was monetized

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There is a fundamental difference between making bad or buggy games and treating the literal human beings that work on those games like utter poo poo, for 8 months of 80 hours of work. Or worse stuff like what's going on at ActiBliz(which wouldn't shock me to be happening at Beth of course but no reports on it yet)

I'm loathe to defend Bethesda. But I've got one post in me.

The metacritic thing wasn't an uncommon metric in the industry for bonuses and the like. It was loving trash, but also it wasn't a surprise as it's in a contract. This does suck tho.

That aside the monetization in Youngblood is absurdly light, it's literally nothing but cosmetic skins and stuff. And from what I played there is pretty much no pressure during gameplay to actually buy anything. It's such a big nothing.

F76 was a bad game with bad monetization, it has apperantly gotten better about both, but yeah it was going after GTAV money which was king poo poo of hillariously exploitative monetization island.

Other than that, releasing bad or buggy games sucks as I guess as I'd prefer things to be good, but in the halls of things I care about in game development it barely ranks for me, compared to what goes on elsewhere in the industry.

I can simply just not buy or play the bad game with systems I don't enjoy.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Dexo posted:

F76 was a bad game with bad monetization, it has apperantly gotten better about both, but yeah it was going after GTAV money which was king poo poo of hillariously exploitative monetization island.

Which to be fair is also no less broken than GTAV which apparently had gamebreaking bug for entire existence that practically made one of its features pretty unplayable.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dexo posted:

Other than that, releasing bad or buggy games sucks as I guess as I'd prefer things to be good, but in the halls of things I care about in game development it barely ranks for me, compared to what goes on elsewhere in the industry.

I can simply just not buy or play the bad game with systems I don't enjoy.

I don't see a point in debating things you're already admitting are exploitative crap practices but Youngblood's gameplay gets pretty slow near the end when everything is a bullet sponge because it wants you to grind and replay the game as a constant live service. Or buy the XP and ammo boosters. It's a multilayered crap industry and I don't think we need to stop to applaud one game studio for not reaching disgusting sub-basement lows of human decency and managing a D average instead.

Things can be (and are) a whole spectrum of sucky and people are still being treated like poo poo. It's stupid to go "Well, at least this one AAA studio is only on the 77th layer of the Abyss, and not the 666th" when it's still Tanar'ri all the way down.

There, I made a D&D metaphor.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the yugoloth residents of the Gray Waste of Hades. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Kai Tave posted:

I've been accused of being overly cynical before for suggesting that you could sell a deliberately half-assed game as long as the pictures are pretty enough,
Isn't this just the straight business model of so, so many boardgame Kickstarters with minis? I mean, the smaller and more independent creators probably believe their own hype a lot more, but it is rare for there to be an even halfway decent game under all that plastic.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dawgstar posted:

Then they should have partied even harder so we could have gotten more Anarchronox. :colbert:

If only the world could be so good

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I think it's a bit of a different situation when it comes to minis, because there are lots of people who are just looking for cool sculpts to use for some other game , or just to paint and display. For them, the minis are the product, and any rules attached are a surprise bonus at best and irrelevant at worst.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Tsilkani posted:

I think it's a bit of a different situation when it comes to minis, because there are lots of people who are just looking for cool sculpts to use for some other game , or just to paint and display. For them, the minis are the product, and any rules attached are a surprise bonus at best and irrelevant at worst.
What makes buying a poo poo game for the minis that you like painting and playing with different from buying a poo poo videogame for the aesthetic dress-em-up accessories you can use to make your character or their base or whatever look how you like?

Also, you're basically repeating the cynical position Games Workshop is being criticized for and saying that's justification. If you accept your games are not gonna be great and are just excuses to sell minis... why not stop making games and just focus on selling minis?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JMBosch posted:

What makes buying a poo poo game for the minis that you like painting and playing with different from buying a poo poo videogame for the aesthetic dress-em-up accessories you can use to make your character or their base or whatever look how you like?

You can take a mini you like from one game, and seamlessly use it in another game, or just display it for all to see. It's a bit trickier with video game characters.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Bethesda absolutely has dysfunction. It may not be the same kind of dysfunction we're hearing about elsewhere, but they're no shining city on the hill.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Not only do you not have to defend studios that crunch, you honestly just shouldn't. It's still horrendous labor practice even if it's not as bad as other studios.

JMBosch posted:

Also, you're basically repeating the cynical position Games Workshop is being criticized for and saying that's justification. If you accept your games are not gonna be great and are just excuses to sell minis... why not stop making games and just focus on selling minis?

You don't have to play the trash game to enjoy the models. People enjoy building, painting, and displaying models just for the sake of it. That is not the case for a terrible video game with good aesthetics.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
people play or buy poo poo for any number of reasons. None of them really matter, as releasing something bad isn't really some moral failing.

I've bought Tabletop books and games I don't think are very good for the pretty art in a book.

I've played Video games that aren't Good™ because they've had some hook or something in them that I've enjoyed and found value in playing.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TG as an Industry: Video games! :v:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dexo posted:

people play or buy poo poo for any number of reasons. None of them really matter, as releasing something bad isn't really some moral failing.

Nobody is talking about studios releasing bad or buggy games being a moral failing. Even if you thought that was exclusively what I meant when I brought up Fallout 76, it's not. The crunch to string together the busted game, the exploitative monetization, and the misleading advertising of the product are all substantially greater sins there. And heck, CDPR came along and overshadowed a lot of that by magnitudes with Cyberpunk 2077, but that doesn't mean Bethesda are uplifted by comparison.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That post wasn't about Bethsada, infact in my post I specifically stated I've got one post defending Bethsada in me, and that was it. So carry on.

That post you quoted was more about Mini's or other reasons people might buy or play games that most people don't like or that are Bad™.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1420008704494161921

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

JMBosch posted:

Isn't this just the straight business model of so, so many boardgame Kickstarters with minis? I mean, the smaller and more independent creators probably believe their own hype a lot more, but it is rare for there to be an even halfway decent game under all that plastic.

I think it's that and the kickstarter launch model doesn't provide a great deal of time or incentive to make sure your rules are well designed and tested. You're basically selling pre-orders for a product that will only print and ship if it receives enough pre-orders, so it's gotta sell on its initial aesthetic appeal rather than its mechanical depth or replayability.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

What is £20,000pa in USD adjusted for having UHS?

edit: lumping rough per-capita health spending in UK onto that pay its like 34K USD per year for a GW game designer.

Paolomania fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 27, 2021

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

wow, £2.28 each!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cat Face Joe posted:

wow, £2.28 each!

5000 each, actually.

Not that GW doesn’t have a ton of other labor problems, though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

This really puts into perspective Age of Sigmar originally shipping with only the bare minimum ruleset to bash a bunch of models together on a tabletop while making sword clashing noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I think we can separate "GW underpays people" from "GW doesn't care about its rules" because I'm guessing they underpay everyone, not just rules writers, and their attention to rules has improved significantly over the last couple of years, but I would assume not because they decided to start paying people more.