Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of afraid to get back into Thrill of the Fight now because the last time I played I hosed my neck and shoulders up for two straight weeks. Only in the past couple of days have I not had at least a little bit of pain in my neck tendons.

It's worth looking into some basic guides on how to do boxing movements on YouTube and practicing those before really getting into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Carrier Command 2 recently announced a VR version, with cross play to the normal version in MP. VR and non-VR are separate on Steam but apparently if you buy either of them you get both.

I played the non-VR demo and it was pretty neat, so I'm excited about a VR mode.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

bgreman posted:

Carrier Command 2 recently announced a VR version, with cross play to the normal version in MP. VR and non-VR are separate on Steam but apparently if you buy either of them you get both.

I played the non-VR demo and it was pretty neat, so I'm excited about a VR mode.

Yeah this game is real good with friends. VR is gonna be great for the bridge control stuff. I feel like its going to be very Si Vomitando on the direct control of aircraft and vehicles though, but who knows.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I don't find the g2 controllers much worse than the Rift S controllers in terms of tracking :shrug:

my room is well lit with no christmas lights

I think the g2 got bit by initial poor availability and QA issues that were compounded by very lovely customer support in many cases, as well as initial problems with x570 boards which were probably more AMD's fault since the g2 is just trying to push USB3.1 to its spec, and the boards could not deliver that. That has been easily fixable with a PCIe expansion USB card since the problem was understood, though.

Also, it really needs at least a 3080.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 25, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blade Runner posted:

It's worth looking into some basic guides on how to do boxing movements on YouTube and practicing those before really getting into it.

I’m a former boxer and thrill of the fight is weird. You have to do shadowboxing type stuff instead of actual boxing, but your brain kind of tells you not to do shadowboxing pulled punches since you see a thing right there.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How are AMD's cards with VR these days? The 6600XT is around the corner, and if it winds up being cheap enough then I might try to get one, assuming I'm lucky enough at launch.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lol

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I played duck season for the first time last night and I’m very impressed so far.

It’s from stress level zero, the makers of Boneworks…

Sold! I had no idea that team had made another game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Played a bunch of a game called Master Bladesmith today that I haven't seen talked about on here. (Steam link, also available on the Oculus Store). It's pretty neat, but still missing some features since it's still Early Access.

First, you have a mine that generates ore. Right now the mining is all automated, you just have to keep feeding it fuel and it'll spit out ore over time, but the developer wants to make the mine a more interactive thing in the future. Then you have a crafting area where you can make swords and bows. The crafting is pretty neat -- to make a sword, I had to put the ore into a big two handed crucible and put that into a smelter, feed coal into the smelter and pump a bellows until it was molten, then pour the molten metal into ingot molds and take the ingots out with tongs. Then take the ingot, heat it up, take it over to an anvil and bang on it with a hammer until it became a blade. I had to do that for the blade, the pommel, and the guard, and then also lathe the handle out of wood. Then assemble all those pieces to make a sword.

There's also a store where you buy armor and the fuel crystals for the mine and some other crafting stuff, like feathers for arrows. Right now you have to buy armor and shields, you can't craft them, although maybe that will change later.

Then there's the Time Chamber, which is where you take your weapons and fight. It's just a thing where you stay stationary and stuff flies at you or comes at you on a conveyor belt, and you have to stop arrows with your shield and slash at flying targets and target dummies with your sword, and every one you miss takes off from your health. You can also throw your sword and pull it back to you. Some levels require you to use your bow and shoot at targets instead of using your sword. At the end of a Time Chamber run you get experience that increases stats, which do things like give you more health or let you draw arrows faster, money for the store, and sometimes goodies like more arrows or health potions. Every 5 levels you get a door crank that lets you start at a higher level rather than starting all the way at level 1 again. It gets tougher the deeper you go, not only stuff coming faster but targets coming with armor on and stuff. So to get deeper you need to craft better weapons and buy better armor. Your weapons also have a durability, but only in the Chamber, and you can set up a weapon queue for what the next weapon should be when this one breaks. So, like your lovely sword may break after a few levels and then your crap dagger is autoequipped because of the queue but when that breaks your run is basically over. But after that run, you still get your lovely sword and crap dagger back, you don't have to remake them, and you can use them next time. You just know that to last longer you're going to have to make more durable stuff since they only last so long per run.

The basic conceit of the game is that to escape you have to beat the highest level of the Time Chamber. (I don't know if that's actually possible right now; there are people on the Steam forums talking about being on level 700 so it may be endless at present).

I know none of this sounds particularly groundbreaking, but for some reason the game feels really good. The crafting is nice and tactile. Carrying that big crucible on a pole with two hands and carefully pouring the molten metal into ingot molds just feels cool. To buy stuff you put what you want to buy on a big scale and put coins on the other side and there's a scoop you can do it with. And a coin changer that has what look like nixie tubes as a readout. There's smart touches like a backpack you put your stuff in that just magically jumps from crafting table to table rather than you having to carry it around, but you also have belt pouches for stuff like healing potions and fuel crystals, and a sheath for your sword.

It has three types of locomotion: normal stick to move first person, teleport, or a thing where when you move it goes into third person and then snaps back into first person when you press a button.

It also has a good loop of check the mine -> try to craft stuff -> go fight in the time chamber -> collect those rewards -> see what you can buy in the store -> go check the mine, etc. It really sucked me in today since I kept having the "well, just one more run...okay, well if I have two more pieces of tin now I can make this other sword, so I'll let the mine run for one more cycle, so I guess I'll go do a time chamber while I wait for the mine..."

From what I've read, this is being made by just one guy and it's remarkably well done for that. He's very responsive on the Steam forums.

Cons:

The tutorial is a literal talking head and boy does he dump a lot of info on you all at once at the start of the game. I was just standing there nodding my head at him while he explained every part of the crafting area and then when it came time for me to make something I was struggling to remember all the stuff he told me.

It's still early access, as I said, so there's a lot of things the developer wants to do that aren't in yet and since it is a one man team, who knows how long it'll take to add stuff.

It's overpriced, I think. $30 is asking a lot for an Early Access VR game when that's the same price as, like, Sniper Elite. Still, I don't regret grabbing it. I originally figured I'd give it a try and probably refund it, but I've been having a lot of fun with it so I don't mind keeping it and hopefully helping further development since I think it's cool. If this sounds like it's exactly your jam, maybe check it out, otherwise I'd say it's definitely worth at least wishlisting and keeping an eye on how development goes or look for a sale on it.

Here's a trailer for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPdXA_wj4fk (same as the trailer on Steam)

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 26, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m a former boxer and thrill of the fight is weird. You have to do shadowboxing type stuff instead of actual boxing, but your brain kind of tells you not to do shadowboxing pulled punches since you see a thing right there.

I'm not a boxer, at all, but I at least understand the very basics of form and all that. I've never hosed myself up like that before in the 15 hours or so I've played Thrill of the Fight. But I was trying to get in a quick early morning fight for a little cardio, and to try and make the match end quicker I was just throwing punches as hard as I could, and without stopping or pausing. So yeah it was entirely my fault, but after two weeks of being stiff and in pain I'm kinda hesitant to jump back in any time soon in the off chance I'll aggravate my neck or shoulders again.

e: And yeah, part of my problem was that instead of doing what I usually do (what you described, throwing a punch and then pulling back instead of following through) I was just doing a bunch of full punches, probably because I was in a hurry and not thinking about it.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 26, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Master Bladesmith looks cool, thank you for the writeup. I will say I was a bit underwhelmed to see the combat is literally standing on a conveyor belt slicing targets in a fruit ninja fashion. This does tick a lot of boxes for me, but I think this would be my perfect game if the loop included a shop component that let you raise funds to make better gear to go on even a simple straightforward dungeon run. But I'm def interested to see how this one takes shape!

Edit: Anyone know if there's any shopkeeper type games for VR out there?

explosivo fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 26, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yuki is a game to look for if you like bullet hell shooters. It's well crafted, with cool level design, it requires a bit more of body movement than it may seem at first (only moving your arm will get you so far) and it's actually a roguelite (random levels, permanent progression, different classes to unlock).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al9oz9t_Y34

I'm not very much into bullet hells in 2d games, but I'm liking it, so maybe try it and use the refund window to judge it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

explosivo posted:

Edit: Anyone know if there's any shopkeeper type games for VR out there?

There's a ton of cooking games, many of which are more about dealing with customers than actually the act of cooking, almost like Root Beer Tapper.

There's also some farming management games, but beyond that I don't know of any store management per se...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Turin Turambar posted:

Yuki is a game to look for if you like bullet hell shooters. It's well crafted, with cool level design, it requires a bit more of body movement than it may seem at first (only moving your arm will get you so far) and it's actually a roguelite (random levels, permanent progression, different classes to unlock).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al9oz9t_Y34

I'm not very much into bullet hells in 2d games, but I'm liking it, so maybe try it and use the refund window to judge it.

I was wondering what you meant by "move your body" if it's in 3rd person, then I pieced it together by the cuts to a toybox and an action figure. You're basically "holding" the character like a toy and pew-pewing enemies, and you have to move them out of the way of the bullets.

That's actually really clever, and the game looks pretty and fun. Will definitely consider picking it up.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I couldn't connect to two friends last night in Walkabout. I've played a dozen matches before without issue, most crossplay. Last night, we were all in the same room but I was alone and they were in their own version. There didn't seem to be any way to troubleshoot. I tried restarting, and rebooting the headset, nothing.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I was wondering what you meant by "move your body" if it's in 3rd person, then I pieced it together by the cuts to a toybox and an action figure. You're basically "holding" the character like a toy and pew-pewing enemies, and you have to move them out of the way of the bullets.

That's actually really clever, and the game looks pretty and fun. Will definitely consider picking it up.

I just grabbed it and played for a little bit and it's exactly this. It's very cute and fun! The only negative I have to say about it so far is that the backgrounds are quite busy which can make it harder to see the bullets you're meant to be dodging, but I think part of it is just how unfamiliar it is to have bullet hell patterns coming directly at you. It took me a little bit also to get used to the idea that I don't have any physicality in the space myself, so it's fine for falling debris or whatever to hit me as long as it doesn't hit the doll.

I played two rounds of it and died to the boss of the second level on my second round, which feels like pretty reasonable progress. Boss design was pretty cool too.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dear god, please give me a Sin and Punishment 3, in VR, thank you.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Holding your shooting ship reminds me of the one game in The Lab, which rules

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone have details on what the “WiFi issues” are with the latest quest 2 firmware? Symptoms, etc?

Because I was playing on virtual desktop last night and it was stuttery as hell and I don’t know whether to start troubleshooting the WiFi access point or wait for a quest firmware update.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Fwiw my Airlink worked OK on v29 and then broke again on v30. I haven't messed around with v31 yet

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does anyone have details on what the “WiFi issues” are with the latest quest 2 firmware? Symptoms, etc?

Because I was playing on virtual desktop last night and it was stuttery as hell and I don’t know whether to start troubleshooting the WiFi access point or wait for a quest firmware update.

Virtual desktop was fine last night but Walkabout was having problems, no idea if it's related to wifi or not.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The only issues I've had are the WiFi sometimes suddenly loses connection altogether when I first start up Virtual Desktop or Airlink. Usually waiting a minute or two to make sure it doesn't happen before starting a game and reconnecting as necessary fixes it. I haven't had any regular stuttering. There have been a few times when I've had a bad connection, but I use a mesh WiFi system and I can usually isolate that to it still being connected to a far away point in the mesh if I've moved or it was connecting while in sleep mode, and I can fix it by disconnecting and reconnecting.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Is there a way to force an update? Mine was on 30 and didn't have any updates to install. My Airlink was better than what it was but I think I just lucked out, it was still stuttery but didn't crash

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just used the Oculus30 code to get Sniper Elite for $21, time for some nutshots!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Just used the Oculus30 code to get Sniper Elite for $21, time for some nutshots!

How is this on the Quest 1? Worth $20 bux?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

Is there a way to force an update? Mine was on 30 and didn't have any updates to install. My Airlink was better than what it was but I think I just lucked out, it was still stuttery but didn't crash

You have a donwload link and guide here
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/ooyht6/v31_megathread/

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Anyone have ideas on fixing low resolution issues between SteamVR and the Oculus via a cable?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think today the performance update for MS Flight Simulator will be out. If anyone wants to check and post the performance in VR, he is welcome to do it!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Artificer posted:

Anyone have ideas on fixing low resolution issues between SteamVR and the Oculus via a cable?

If you mean SteamVR itself, it always looks a bit fuzzy in my experience, no matter what I try; if the games themselves look good then I wouldn't worry. It's like how Steam games look good but Big Picture looks like poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If you mean SteamVR itself, it always looks a bit fuzzy in my experience, no matter what I try; if the games themselves look good then I wouldn't worry. It's like how Steam games look good but Big Picture looks like poo poo.

Have you checked your SteamVR resolution to make sure it's at 100% and not 130% like it likes to set itself?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The SteamVR overlay will set its own render resolution based on the graphics card and headset resolution. There is an Overlay Render Quality setting under the Video tab in the SteamVR settings that should control the resolution.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LniHnza8WZY
Vermillion is out. I've always been fascinated by Bob Ross, this seems like a great low-cost zero risk way of painting happy little trees! Not made evident by the trailer is the ability to watch place a web browser window in your space, allowing you to follow along with video tutorials on Youtube.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Just finished Lone Echo. That was extremely good, I can't believe I waited so long to play it. Very much worth the 10 bucks.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does flight simulator support oculus touch controls?

In other news i tested out Tetris effect on game pass and that is dope as hell.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The gamepass version supports VR? I’ve been holding off on playing it because I read it didn’t work!?!?

I need to get on that

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The gamepass version supports VR? I’ve been holding off on playing it because I read it didn’t work!?!?

I need to get on that

Can confirm VR works fine in gamepass version. Haven't tried the performance update yet though.

e: OH, nm you were talking about Tetris Effect...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does flight simulator support oculus touch controls?

In other news i tested out Tetris effect on game pass and that is dope as hell.

Flight simulator does not use VR motion controls at all.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hadlock posted:

How is this on the Quest 1? Worth $20 bux?

I don't have a Quest 1 still to test it on, but it works pretty great on Q2. Replayed the first level a few times on both Q2 and RiftS, and other than slightly worse graphics on the Quest it plays pretty much exactly the same. Def seems to be worth the $20.

This review seems to do a good job of comparing the versions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKljv29vwVU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Argue posted:

Okay VRChat is amazing. I entered, and after looking around my Home space or whatever I clicked "Cozy worlds" and entered a portal labelled "Tuscany". It was a nice secluded villa overlooking the sea, and it seemed wholly empty. I had a look around and while I was staring into the ocean, some guy in a Miles Morales costume screams at me from the balcony, "hey, you down there! Get the gently caress off of my property!"

I thought he was just goofing around but he actually came down and walked towards me screaming "get off my property you fucker!" Now I have no idea if he was just really intensely RPing or if there's some kind of property rights culture in VRChat that I'm unaware of :allears:

Your VRchat experience has peaked now, there's no higher peak to reach!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The gamepass version supports VR? Ive been holding off on playing it because I read it didnt work!?!?

I need to get on that

Why wouldn't it have it / work? It's great, and also I believe Gamepass / Xbox Store is (for now) the only place you can get Tetris Effect Connected, which with the multiplayer modes is the best version of Tetris Effect by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They added VR support last December.